Between Two Worlds
By AmandaK

Summary: A coup on New Krypton sends Clark fleeing back to Earth with his nine-year-old “son,” Jor-El. He arrives in Smallville to find Lois and their son, Jon. Clark must now find his place on Earth once more, while helping Jor settle in and becoming the father Jon never had.

Chapter 8

Jon Kent sat on his mother’s bed, watching her pack her suitcase to head back to Metropolis. As much as he loved his summers with his grandparents in Smallville, it was always hard to be so far away from her for two months. Of course, they spoke on the phone almost every day, but it wasn’t the same.

Most of the year, it was just the two of them. His mom woke him up in the morning and made him breakfast (or took him to the bagel shop). She drove him to school and kissed his head before he got out of the car. Later, she picked him up and let him do his homework at his dad’s old desk at the Daily Planet while she finished up her articles before deadline. They shared dinner every night – be it take-out or something they managed to make edible by working together in the kitchen.

She planned every birthday and made every holiday special for him. He made her gifts for her birthday and Mother’s Day and Christmas.

Jon knew he wasn’t a perfect son. He messed up plenty. And he knew his mom struggled to balance her career with being a single mom. But they managed to make it work one day at a time. They were happy. Just the two of them.

Except during the summer.

This was the time, every year, when she made a strong push on her biggest investigations. She used those two months to work the long stake-outs and undercover assignments which she couldn’t do with Jon home.

And Jon liked to use the summers to learn new things in Smallville. Grandma was teaching him how to cook and keep a garden. Grandpa was showing him all of the ins and out of the farm. He had friends in Smallville. They went hiking and rode their bikes and stopped in at Masie’s for root beer floats. His summers were filled with fun and adventure.

But sometimes he got homesick and wished he could go back to Metropolis early. He didn’t ask – hadn’t in several years anyway. He knew how important this time was to his mom’s career. She had dreams and ambitions and she also wanted to give him the best of everything. Her summers alone helped make that happen.

But sometimes he just wanted to be home with his mom – just the two of them.

“You’ll be extra good for Grandma and Grandpa, won’t you?” his mom asked as she looked under the bed for anything she might have missed.

Jon rolled his eyes, but grinned. “Of course, Mom.”

“Good,” she stood up, pushing her hair out of her face and glancing around the room. “I think that’s everything.” She shut her suitcase and then sat down on the bed next to him. Smiling softly, she mussed his hair before wrapping her arm around him and pulling him into a hug. “You know this summer is going to be different. Your father is back. Things are going to be changing.”

Jon frowned. He was excited to finally have met his dad and Jor was… well, pretty quiet but he seemed alright. But Jon hadn’t really thought about what their arrival would mean. “Changing how?”

“Well, your dad and Jor will be staying here for the summer,” his mom answered. “They’ll need your help to get settled in. Especially Jor. Once he learns a bit more English, it’ll be nice for him to have someone his own age showing him how we do things on Earth. And your dad really needs to get up to speed on technology and current events. He missed a lot.”

“Okay… I guess I can do that. What about when I go back to Metropolis? Are they coming too?” Jon asked.

“That’s the plan,” his mom said. “But we’re still working out the details.”

Jon traced the pattern on the quilted bedspread with his finger. “Will they move in with us?”

His mom hesitated a moment before answering. “I don’t know. That’s one of those details we haven’t figured out yet.”

“Aren’t parents supposed to live together?” Jon asked quietly.

“They often do,” his mom acknowledged. “But sometimes they don’t – if the parents are divorced or never got married. Remember, Jon, your father and I were never married. And it’s been ten years since he left. We have a lot to talk about before we make any big decisions.”

“Moving in together would be a big decision?”

“A very big one. It would affect all of us.” She paused and then asked, “Do you want your dad and Jor to move in with us?”

Jon shrugged. “I don’t know.” He really didn’t know. He used to think his dad coming home would be great and they’d all live together and be happy. But now that his dad was actually here, he wasn’t so sure. How would having his dad home change things? Would his mom still take him to school and pick him up? Would they still make dinner together and watch movies on the weekends? Or would his dad do some of those things with him now?

And what about Jor? Having a brother might be cool… or it might not. He didn’t really know the other kid. Would they have to keep sharing a room like they were now? It was okay in Smallville but he really liked having his own space back home. He guessed Jor could take the spare room in their house. But then, where would Grandma and Grandpa stay when they visited? Would they go to the same school? Be in the same class? What would his friends think?

Suddenly, none of this seemed simple at all.

His mom bumped his shoulder a bit to get his attention and looked down at him with worried eyes. “Hey, kiddo. You okay?”

Jon offered her a small smile. “Yeah. I’m fine. I just didn’t realize how much things were going to change.”

She nodded. “Change can be tough. But it can also be good. Don’t think too far ahead. Let me and your father work out the details. Just take it one day at a time. I think you are going to love having your dad home and I hope you and Jor can become friends – he could certainly use one.”

“Yeah, he seems like he could.” Jon thought about his new brother for a moment. “Do you think he’ll like video games?”

His mom laughed. “He’s a nine-year-old boy. Of course he’ll like video games. And seeing the way he was using that learning orb this morning, he might even give you a challenge once you show him the ropes.”

“No way! I’m the video game champ.”

“Champ, huh? Well, champ, why don’t you see if Grandpa will let you hook up the GameCube and we’ll see if you can beat me at Mario Kart before I have to leave for the airport?”

------------------

Clark stared at his reflection in the slightly foggy bathroom mirror. After hashing out some more details with Lois for his come-back cover story, he had gone out to the back fields to practice using his abilities. He wanted to make sure his control was still perfect after so many years.

His morning spent helping his dad around the farm had restored almost all of his powers. His afternoon practice session had done the rest, culminating in a brisk flight into the middle atmosphere where he could see the stars. He’d immediately sought New Krypton’s distant light and his thoughts had gone out to the people there. He wondered what had become of them in the aftermath of their insurrection. But he hadn’t allowed himself to linger there – in the mesosphere or in his grim thoughts.

Returning to the farmhouse, he taken a shower to wash off the dirt from the day. He felt good. He felt great, really. He was strong again. The power within him was a comforting presence after so long without. Soon enough, he would resume his role as Superman, making a difference in the world wherever he could – be it fighting crime in Metropolis or saving thousands from natural disasters worldwide. He would really be helping again – not just sitting back and giving orders for men to sacrifice their lives in a pointless war.

He'd been wrong though.

He had expected that with the return of his abilities, his scars from the mortar would have vanished. He no longer felt any of the internal aches which had accompanied him for the past two years. But his skin was still marred with scars. He supposed that there was nothing left on the outside to actually heal. His skin was healed, albeit imperfectly. His arms, legs, and back would forever serve as a gruesome reminder of his years away from home.

Sighing, Clark pulled on a long-sleeved t-shirt. He wasn’t sure how long he’d be able to hide the marks from Lois and his parents. For now, he was glad that his super suit would hide his scars. Such identifying marks would link Superman to Clark Kent in an instant.

Stepping out into the hall, he used his enhanced hearing to locate his family. Everyone, including Jor, seemed to be gathered in the living room. Stepping lightly down the stairs, he discovered Lois and Jon going head-to-head in a video game involving characters from Super Mario Bros. in go-karts. He seemed to recall a game like this coming out for the Super Nintendo around the time he started working at the Daily Planet, but the 3D graphics he was seeing now were worlds ahead of what he had seen of the game back then.

“Oh, Jon! Switch to Baby Mario. You’ve got Chain Chomp,” Martha called from the sidelines. Clark glanced over to see his mother completely immersed in watching the game. His father was also observing with a small smile.

Clark shook his head – this from the parents who never let him get an Atari.

Jor was also standing nearby, watching the game with interest.

“No, back seat driving, Martha!” Lois scolded as she narrowly avoided being hit by Jon’s Chain Chomp. The maneuver forced her to slow down, however, allowing Jon’s kart to zip ahead. The Kent’s laughed and Clark couldn’t help but chuckle as well. Lois seemed to be as competitive as ever – even against her own son. He wondered how she had done with Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders.

Lois tried valiantly to catch up to Jon’s kart, employing a flying blue turtle shell at the last moment. But she was too late. Jon’s kart crossed the finish line a split second before to shell made contact. He jumped up from his seat, cheering. “Yes! I did it! I told you I’m the champ!”

Lois seemed to chew on her cheek for a moment, but then she smiled gently. “Alright, alright. You’re the champ.”

Jon seemed to deflate slightly, despite her acknowledgement of his win. “What? No rematch?”

Lois put her controller aside, then stood and pulled Jon into a hug. “I’m sorry, Jon. You know I have to get going if I’m going to make it to Wichita in time for my flight.”

Clark blinked. He’d almost forgotten that Lois was headed back to Metropolis tonight. He felt just about as disappointed as Jon looked. He’d only just returned. He had hoped they could have more time together. It sounded like she was going to catch a red-eye flight, meaning she’d be tired at work in the morning.

Clark almost smacked himself in the head when his brain caught up with him. “Lois,” he said, drawing everyone’s attention. “You don’t have to catch the flight in Wichita.”

Lois frowned. “Of course I do. I have to be back at work tomorrow. Until we’re ready to let everyone know you’re back, I don’t have an excuse to take more time off.”

“I know,” Clark answered. “What I meant was…” he kicked off the floor to hover about a foot in the air. “I’ll fly you home tonight. That way you can stay later and still get a good night’s rest.”

Jon’s eyes flew open wide and he leaned over the back of the couch to get a better look. “Whoa!” he grinned. “That’s so cool! I mean, I knew you could fly – but to actually see it? Man, I hope I can do that someday.”

Clark smiled at his son and then glanced over at Jor to catch his reaction. He’d registered a flicker of something through their mental link – Wonder? Apprehension? – he wasn’t sure. Jor had locked him out quickly and his face was a mask of indifference. Clark stifled a sigh. They still had a long way to go.

“Are you sure, Clark?” Lois asked. Clark looked back at her and caught her knowing on her lower lip. “It’s an awful long way to Metropolis and you just got your powers back…” she trailed off.

Clark offered her a reassuring smile. “I feel great, Lois. And I would love to fly you home.”

Lois hesitated only a moment longer before she smiled and nodded. “Okay, then. Let me just call the airline to cancel my flight.”

While Lois dipped out of the living room to make her call, Clark’s parents joined him behind the couch. “It’s good to see you feeling like your old self, son,” Jonathan said, clapping him on the back.

Martha wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a quick hug. “We missed you so much. It’s still hard to believe you’re home.”

Clark returned her hug. “Believe it, Mom. I’m home. And I’m never leaving Earth again.”

“Hey, Dad! Want to play MarioKart?” Jon asked. “It’s DoubleDash but it’s basically the same as the old one.”

Clark raised one eyebrow. “I never really played the one that came out before I left but that looks nothing like I what I do recall of it. Even the controller is different.”

“Huh?” Jon looked at the controller in his hand. “I mean, it’s a GameCube controller but it’s not that different from the N64.”

Lois laughter preceded her into the room. “Jon, sweetie, your father left before the Nintendo64 was released. He’s thinking of the old NES version.”

“Oh…” Jon nodded. “Do you want to play, anyway?”

Clark shook his head. “I’ll just watch for now.” He hoped Jon wouldn’t be too disappointed, but all Clark wanted to do was watch – not the game, but his family. He wanted to soak in their smiles and the sounds of their voices, their laughter. He wanted to commit them all to memory and never be so far away that memory was all he had again.

Before Jon had the chance to ask someone else or rope his mom in for a rematch, Jor sat down on the couch next to him. “May I… play the game?” he asked, his English more assured than it had been that morning, though still heavily accented.

Jon opened and closed his mouth a few times, clearly unsure. But then he smiled brightly. “Sure!” he replied, handing Jor the second controller. The next few moments were spent showing Jor which buttons did what and going over some of the special features of the game. Jor said little, but acknowledged Jon’s explanations with a small nod.

Before long, they were off on their first race. Jor crashed and ran off course a few times at first, but quickly got the hang of it and was soon battling Jon for first place.

Lois came over to stand beside Clark. “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship,” she said softly, smiling up at him.

Clark’s returning smile felt bittersweet. He lowered his own voice so only she could hear. “I hope so. Jor could really use a friend. I’m not sure he’s going to let be get through to him anytime soon.”

“If anyone can break through those walls, it’ll be our boy. He’s got all of your kindness and twice my… persistence.”

Clark chuckled. “Were you going to say stubbornness?”

“Hush,” Lois smacked his arm and turned back to watch the game. She was so close, but not quite touching him. He could feel her warmth radiating through the air between them. If she just leaned back a bit…

Clark shook the thoughts from his mind. This wasn’t the time. Not with the boys here. And they still had so much to talk about.

Besides, he’d be able to hold her later when he flew her back to Metropolis.

A cheer arose from the couch, as Jon’s kart swept through the finish line just a second ahead of Jor’s. “Whew! Man, I really thought you were going to catch me! You’re a fast learner.” Jon grinned at Jor.

Jor frowned for a moment but then offered a small smile in return. “Yes, I do learn quickly.”

Jon laughed amicably. “Let’s go again. Wait till you try Rainbow Road.”

-----------------

Lois set her suitcase down on the front porch and turned to give Jon one last hug. “I’m going to miss you so much,” she said, squeezing him tightly.

“You’ll call every day?” Jon asked.

“Of course. And if your father doesn’t mind playing taxi, I might be able to visit a few times too.” Lois looked over at Clark in question as she said it. He smiled and nodded. “Now you be extra good and remember what we talked about earlier.”

“Of course, Mom. I love you,” Jon smiled up at her.

“Love you, too,” she replied before turning to face the rest of the family, gathered to see her off. “Well, we’d better be going.”

Martha stepped forward to hug her. “Don’t you let Perry work you too hard this summer. Take some time for yourself too.”

“And don’t worry about your boy,” Jonathan chimed in. “I’ll keep him too busy for him to get into any trouble.”

Lois chuckled. “I’m sure you will.” She then looked over at Jor, who was standing awkwardly near the door. “It was nice meeting you, Jor. I’ll see you again soon.” Jor nodded but did not reply. Lois turned to Clark. “Ready?”

“All set,” he answered, holding his arms out towards her. “I’ll come back for your suitcase after I drop you off.”

Lois hesitated a moment before stepping close enough for him to lift her, bridal style, as he had so many times in the past. She immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and their eyes met. She knew that he felt it too – that almost electric connection between them, still so strong after all this time. It was both exhilarating and terrifying.

Forcing herself to breathe, she broke his gaze and turned back to the family with a smile. “Bye! I’ll call tomorrow.”

A chorus of goodbyes followed them as Clark lifted off the ground, slowly at first and then picking up speed as they ascended into the night sky. Lois couldn’t help but gasp and hold on a little tighter. Once again, she was overcome by waves of memory, sensations coming back to her after so many years she had nearly forgotten.

Clark adjusted his hold slightly into a position that was more secure. “I’ve got you, Lois,” he reassured her.

Lois shook her head. “I know. It’s just been so long. I’d almost forgotten what it was like – flying with you.”

“I know what you mean,” Clark replied wistfully. “I used to dream about flying during those first years on New Krypton. But after awhile even the dreams faded away. When my powers came back this afternoon – when I could finally fly again – it was exhilarating.” He paused for a moment, looking out over the dark horizon, guided only by the stars and moonlight. When he spoke again, his voice was so soft she almost didn’t hear his words. “This, flying with you… this is exhilarating to.”

Lois bit her lip and leaned her head against his shoulder, gazing up at the field of endless stars - uninhibited by light pollution from the city. He’d only been back for two days. So why did a part of her feel like he had never been gone? Why did she so desperately want to go back to that night before he left? Why did his every touch seem to ignite something deep inside her – embers long buried in the sand, ready to start a fire. If only she could ignore that tiny voice telling her it was too soon.

They flew in silence and reached Metropolis far too quickly, it seemed. As the city skyline appeared before them, Lois lifted her head. “I guess I should tell you where we’re going,” she said.

Clark frowned and slowed down to a near stop, hovering just out of reach of the city lights. “Oh, I was just headed to your apartment on autopilot. I guess you don’t live there anymore.”

“No, I got a bigger place when Jon was two.” Lois smiled, remembering. “He had a lot of energy, so I wanted something with a yard where he could play. I got a brownstone on Hyperion Avenue. It has three bedrooms and private backyard. You should be able to land there without being seen.”

“That’s a nice neighborhood, if I recall correctly,” Clark commented as he altered their flight path slightly.

Lois nodded. “It is. We’ve been happy there.”

They didn’t speak again until they reached her street and Lois pointed out which yard was hers. Clark scanned around to make sure no one was watching, before quickly landing in the back yard. The tall trees surrounding the privacy fence made for excellent cover from nosy neighbors.

Clark set her on her feet but kept his arms around her waist. Lois looked up and her eyes locked with his once more, his gaze dark and intense. “Lois,” he whispered her name and then leaned down to kiss her.

The moment their lips met, she felt those small embers leap into a blazing fire. She wanted him – all of him. And she knew he wanted her as well. His mouth burned against hers, coaxing, begging for more. Pressing her body closer to his as he pulled her in, she wondered if either of them would have the willpower to stop this time. The boys weren’t here. They had the house to themselves. It would be so simple. They could relive that night. They could pick up where they had left off. Everything could be as it was before.

Except it wasn’t.

Clark seemed to reach that conclusion just as she did. He pulled back, breathing heavily, and leaned his forehead against hers. “We should…”

“Yeah…” Lois breathed, picking up where he had trailed off. She was loathe to end this. But if they didn’t stop now, they would surely move too fast into territory they weren’t ready to explore again. They needed more time.

She stepped back out of his arms and headed toward the back patio, pulling her keys from her pocket as she went. She unlocked the door and opened it, then paused, looking back at Clark. He stood in the middle of the yard, just as she had left him, his eyes still dark with desire as he stared back at her. She wanted to invite him in – just to show him around, maybe have a cup of coffee. But… she wasn’t sure what would happen if he came inside just now.

After another moment of indecision, he solved her dilemma for her. “I should go get your suitcase,” he said.

Lois shook off her stupor and nodded. “Right. My suitcase. You should… yes… go.” That would give them both time to cool off. She could make coffee while he was gone and maybe give him a tour when he got back. Yes. That would be fine.

He nodded, his gaze lingering a moment longer before he took off and disappeared into the night sky.