Happy Ficlet Friday!
I was not planning to post anything today. But my daughter wrote a little story which inspired me to write a little something myself. I also realized that poor Krypto hasn’t been out for a walk in a while so I’m going to jump in and take on the Walk the Dog Challenge.

I believe the rules state that the story can take place at any time in Krypto’s existence, so I’m going to jump into the future with this one. Credit goes to my daughter, SK, for the original story “Coco and the Wolves,” included with her permission.

Walk the Dog: Storytime
By AmandaK and SK

Krypto’s tongue lolled out of his mouth as he yawned widely. Plodding into the living room, he leapt up onto the couch and made himself comfortable next to Clark’s boy-pup, Jon. Jon was using one of those devices that flashed lights and made noise, but he spared a hand to scratch Krypto behind the ear, much to the dog’s delight.

“Mom doesn’t like it when you get on the couch, Krypto,” Jon said but he continued scratching.

Krypto just huffed and tilted his head to give the boy better access.

Suddenly, a flurry of footsteps preceded another small human into the room. Clark’s girl-pup, Laura, stopped and looked around before spying Jon and plopping herself on the boy’s other side.

“Jon! Jon! Read my story!” Laura insisted. She pushed a piece of paper into her brother’s lap.

Jon frowned and pushed the paper back. “Have Mom read it.”

“Mom’s at work.”

“Then, have Dad read it.”

“Dad’s making dinner.”

“Dad can read it in like a second.”

“But I want you to read it. Please!”

Krypto huffed again and looked up at the pups. He wished they would stop bickering.

Jon rolled his eyes but put his device down and took the paper. “Fine. What’s your story called?”

“It’s called, Coco and the Wolves,” Laura answered with a smile.

Jon started to read. “Mom had a dog. The dog was named Coco.” Jon paused. “He should be named Krypto.”

Krypto lifted his head at the sound of his name and woofed softly.

“Krypto is Dad’s dog.”

“Krypto is totally Mom’s dog.”

“Whatever. Just keep reading.”

“Coco went in to a cave – into should be one word.”

“Don’t edit my copy. Just read!”

“The cave had wolves. The wolves went after Coco. Coco ran away. Mom hugged Coco and they lived happily ever after. The end.”

Laura grinned at her brother. “I wrote it all by myself. Did you like it?”

Jon shrugged. “It’s okay, I guess. It’d be better if it was Krypto though. Krypto wouldn’t run away from dumb wolves. He’d get them with his heat vision.”

“But it’s not about Krypto.”

“Well, it should be.”

“I can’t spell Krypto.”

“That’s easy! It’s K-R- um… uh…”

“See! You can’t spell it either.”

“Dad! How do you spell Krypto?” Jon called. Then the boy pushed himself up off the couch and started for the kitchen with Laura right behind him.

Krypto let out another yawn and smacked his mouth a few times. Then he rolled on his back and sprawled over the full length of the couch. Human pups were strange.