Sorry for the delay with the last part, it is done but I need to read it again before posting, and I don’t have much time this week.

So here is another companion piece. They are written to include Lois thoughts in the fic. The last part is divided into two parts that are not long enough to be separate chapters but they have several weeks between them. The commentaries by Lois are written in this timeframe.

A Hero’s sacrifice
A comment by Lois Lane

Many citizens of Metropolis don’t look up anymore when a flying man crosses the sky above them and only tourists react to the sound of a sonic boom out of nowhere. He usually seems to appear out of the blue, whenever we need help.
In my case, I admit, I needed him more often than others. After countless rescues, how often have I thought about Superman? What does he sacrifice, to be there for us? The truth is - it never even crossed my mind. Due to the recent developments, I thought about him and my view on his life, being a hero.
Probably everyone has dreamt about having some kind of superpowers while growing up, or being able to help those in need.
In my childhood, my sister and I used to play a game of choices. We’d ask each other which power we’d rather have: the power of flight or the cloak of invisibility. I always chose the latter, not for the sake of secrecy, but for the truth it could unveil behind closed doors. This game of ‘would you rather’ became more than mere play; it was a prelude to the roles we would adopt in life. As a journalist, I chase the hidden stories, much like the caped hero who reveals the dangers lurking in the shadows. Our powers differ, but our purpose aligns: to protect the unseen truth of Metropolis, understanding that sometimes, the most heroic acts are those that remain invisible to the world.
One might think Superman lives these childhood dreams, nothing can hurt him, he can fly and countless other fantastic things. His life must be a dream come true, right?
As it is often the case, reality works differently. When he helps at the site of a disaster, he usually arrives minutes after the event. This means there are people who never had a chance, he only can recover, not save them. He has to live with the outcome of his decisions. Would people have survived if he had done something differently? Could he have been faster? Should he help at this disaster or that one?
His actions against organized crimes make him a target. If he had friends or family, everyone he remotely cares about would be at risk.
Superman can’t have a life among us, can’t have relationships beyond a certain point. The unpredictable nature of his rescues and his fame would make keeping a job pretty difficult.
Being a superhero isn’t so flashy in reality, you think? Maybe, but as we all can see, he still helps out, regardless of the cost. So why does he do it, if it sets him apart from us earthborn humans? Because he can! And he isn’t as alone as we think, the people he helps are his family. We all are!
So what can you do? Smile, if you see him, talk to him if he has the time and be nice to him and each other whenever you can. He needs us because Metropolis is his home and we’re the family he chose.
It is up to us to help him, with our kindness. Us being a hero for him is important, only then he can be the hero the world needs.

Kathryn