Between Two Worlds
By AmandaK

Summary: A coup on New Krypton sends Clark fleeing back to Earth with his nine-year-old “son,” Jor-El. He arrives in Smallville to find Lois and their son, Jon. Clark must now find his place on Earth once more, while helping Jor settle in and becoming the father Jon never had.

Author’s Note:
For the purposes of this story, Kryptonian dialogue will be noted by <>. Telepathic communication will be noted with []. Hopefully, this will be easy enough to follow.

Chapter 1

Stepping out of the ship, into the Kansas sun, felt like breathing fresh air for the first time in ten years. Already, Clark could feel his body absorbing the yellow rays. He knew it wouldn’t be long before his long dormant abilities re-emerged. But it was more than that. After a decade under the red sun of New Krypton, speaking another language, and trying to live within a culture so foreign to his own, Clark finally felt like he was home.

His satisfied smile dimmed somewhat as he felt the uncertainty of the ship’s other passenger tugging at this mind through their telepathic link. He turned around to see the form of a nine-year-old boy lingering in the shadows beyond the hatch of the ship.

< “Jor-El,”> he called to the boy in Kryptonian. < “Come out.”>

The boy stepped forward, hesitantly, and shielded his eyes against the light of the sun. < “It is bright.”>

< “You will get used to it.”>

Jor stepped fully into the sunlight, blinking rapidly as he looked around. He frowned, or perhaps he had already been frowning. To be fair, Clark had seen very little expression from the boy since they had left New Krypton. With everything that had happened in their last few days on the planet, Clark wasn’t sure what to expect.

A human child would be grieving, scared, angry. But Jor was Kryptonian – had been raised Kryptonian. He took after his mother, not only in looks but also in temperament. He was quiet, composed, and portrayed an air of dignity that could only come of knowing, from an early age, that he was born to lead their world.

Or so he should have been.

Like most Kryptonians, Jor-El was practiced in concealing and even suppressing his emotions. As such, Clark was hard pressed to figure out whether the boy was okay. Was he holding all his emotions inside or did he truly not feel anything about what had occurred? Would those feelings come later, after he’d had more time to process it all?

They’d left New Krypton nearly a month ago. In that time, Jor had hardly spoken, choosing to communicate telepathically, if at all. Clark had mostly left him be, waiting for some reaction, some expression of emotion to let him know how to respond. Maybe, once they’d settled in, he’d be able to figure out what was going on inside Jor’s mind.

< [It is not like home]> Jor-El’s words came into Clark’s mind directly.

As much as he felt like he was finally home, Clark knew that, to Jor, Earth was completely alien. He offered the boy an encouraging smile and replied in the same manner. < [No. It is not. However, Earth has much to offer. You will see and experience so many new things here. Just wait until you taste the food!]>

A real, home cooked meal was probably third on Clark’s list of things he missed from Earth – Lois and his parents being first and second. The food of New Krypton was bland and lacked variety. It had been a major adjustment for him after leaving the endless cuisines of Earth.

Jor-El just looked at him blankly, having known nothing but the invariable menu of New Krypton, he could not fathom what he was missing – but he would learn soon enough.

Clark placed a comforting hand on Jor’s shoulder, only to have the boy step back, out of reach. Clark sighed. He had never established a strong relationship with the boy, but what little they had once had was destroyed in the weeks before they left New Krypton.

< “I know this is not easy, Jor.”> he switched back to speaking aloud as he felt the walls rise around Jor’s mind. < “Everything has changed for you. For me as well. Even though I have come back to Earth, I know that much will have changed in ten years. I am not sure what to expect. No matter what, though, I will be here for you. You are not alone.”>

Jor did not reply. He turned away and looked out over the fields of corn. Clark sighed again and ran a hand through his hair. He then turned back to the ship and pressed the controls which would shield and cloak its presence from anyone who happened by. He had chosen to land behind his father’s back field. It wasn’t near any roads and no one should be wandering around back there, but Clark was glad for the cloak none-the-less.

< “Come.”> He instructed Jor to follow him and set off through the corn field. He left what little they had brought on the ship. He would come back for their things later. Most of it wouldn’t be useful on Earth anyway.

As he walked, he thought about his plans for the next few days. His priority was to get Jor settled with his parents. What he really wanted was to get back in the ship and head straight to Metropolis – to Lois. But Jor had to come first. Besides, he felt it was a good idea to find out from his parents what Lois was doing these days. After ten years, would she still be waiting for him?

Lifting his hand, he fingered the small, gold band on the chain under his shirt. He still loved her, still thought of her every day, wondered what she was doing. Had she finally won the Pulitzer? Did she ever finish her novel? Had she moved on – found someone new? The last thought hurt so much, an yet he couldn’t hold it against her if she had. He had been gone too long. And he didn’t want her to be alone. Yet he still hoped – prayed even – that she was still waiting and that, somehow, they would be able to find love again after all these years.

Clark pushed through the stalks of corn and stepped out onto the dirt road that led to the Kent farm. He smiled softly. They weren’t far. He could see the house up ahead. What would his parents think? Were they even home? Were they… Clark took a breath and shook the worrying thoughts from his mind. He knew it was possible that, after ten years, his aging parents might have passed on. Thinking about the possibility and getting upset about it before he even knew was foolish. He’d take everything as it came and not create problems for himself.

BRRIIING! BRRIING!

A bicycle chime startled Clark out of his thoughts and caused Jor to jump, eyes wide in surprise at the unfamiliar sound. Clark turned to see a boy, about Jor’s age, speeding down the lane towards them on a dirt bike. Clark stepped aside to let him pass, wondering who he could be. It was too late in the day for a paper delivery. The kid smiled and waved as he swerved around them.

Then, as Clark watched, the boy looked back over his shoulder at them. He had a bewildered look on his face, like he couldn’t make heads nor tails of the two people in the road. Clark looked down at his Kryptonian clothes and realized that they must look odd to a kid from Earth. He had been hoping not to run into anyone besides his parents before he had a chance to change.

< [What was that?]> Jor thought to him, curiosity and wonder slipping past his walls.

< [A bicycle. Most Earth kids ride them. I can teach you if you like.]> Clark offered, hopefully.

Jor frowned again but still stared after the kid on the bike. <[Perhaps.]>

Clark looked ahead to the farm house and watched the boy from before jump off his bike and leave it lying beside the front walk. Just then, a high-pitched ringing filled his ears and his super hearing kicked in. Clark winced and had to pause for a moment to get the sound under control. What had once been second nature to him, seemed to be a bit rusty now. He was going to have to find time to practice his abilities as they re-emerged.

The front door slammed shut with a too-loud bang in Clark’s ears and the boy hollered, “I’m home!” There was a flurry of footsteps and then he continued. “Hey, Mom. There’s a man and a kid coming up the drive. They’re really weird.”

The sound of running water shut off and woman’s voice replied, “Jon Kent, don’t be rude.”

Clark froze as two things registered at once. First, he knew that voice. He hadn’t expected to hear her again so soon. She was here! Second, she had called the boy Jon Kent – which would imply… it could only mean… Clark’s mind struggled to follow the thought to its obvious conclusion. It couldn’t be.

“Sorry, Mom. I’m not trying to be rude,” the boy, Jon, continued. “But their clothes are really strange. I’ve never seen anyone dressed like that. Maybe they’re cosplayers or something.”

“Cosplayers in Smallville?”

Clark could hear the skeptical grin in her voice. She sounded just as she always had. He couldn’t wait to see her and yet he was frozen in place, unable to process anything beyond the two voices inside the house. Jor had stopped beside him and looked at him quizzically but said nothing.

“I don’t know, Mom. Just come outside. You’ll see. They probably want to talk to you anyway. Maybe they need you to write a story or something.”

“Okay, Jon. Let’s go greet our visitors.”

Two sets of footsteps sounded down the hall and the door opened once more. Jon stepped out first, moving aside and looking back with a look that clearly read, ‘See! Weird!’

The woman who stepped onto the porch after him, indulged her son with a small smile before looking up at the figures on the front walk. She wore a slightly damp apron over jeans and a blue blouse and held a glass and dish towel in her hands. Her hair was longer than he remembered. Clark had never seen anything more beautiful. His breath caught in his throat as he stared at her.

Recognition seemed to come slowly. Her smile was replaced by a look of confusion as her gaze skimmed over Jor before settling on Clark. Their eyes met and, for a moment, time seemed to stand still. Shock and disbelief played over her features, one at war with the other.

The glass slipped from her hands and shattered on the porch, breaking the spell, and triggering a flurry of motion. Lois nearly tripped in her hurry down the steps and Clark rushed forward to meet her half way. He caught her up in his arms and held her close, breathing her scent and listening to the familiar thrum of her heartbeat.

It only lasted a moment before she was moving again, stroking her hands across his chest, shoulders, arms, before grasping either side of his face and looking up at him, tears brimming her eyes.

“Is this real? Are you really here? This isn’t a dream?” she whispered, as though afraid he would disappear if she spoke any louder.

Clark lifted his hand to caress her cheek as he had so many times before. She leaned into his hand and closed her eyes for only the briefest moment. “It’s real, Lois.” Clark replied, hardly daring to believe the words himself. “I’m here. I’m home.”

Lois took a shuddering breath as her tears spilled over and she buried her face in his chest with a sob. “Oh, Clark. I thought I’d never see you again.”

Her legs seemed to give out underneath her, so he gathered her close and lowered them both to the ground, stroking her hair and rocking her back and forth. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I never meant to be gone so long. Everything… nothing went how I expected. I am so sorry.”

For a long moment, he simply held her. There was more to say – so much more – but there would be time for that later. For now, he simply embraced the feeling of finally coming home.

A slight shuffling sound pulled Clark’s attention from the woman in his arms and he looked up, remembering the two boys who stood awkwardly in the yard – one stoic, the other clearly confused. He eased himself back from Lois and smiled softly at her. “I didn’t expect to see you here, in Smallville. I was going to head to Metropolis as soon as I could.”

Lois smiled back and wiped her eyes. “I’m only here for the weekend – dropping Jon off for the summer. Oh!” She looked back at the boy, suddenly remembering him as well. “Jon, sweetheart. Come here.” She stood up and Clark rose with her as Jon stepped forward. He seemed uncertain but there was also a look of understanding in his eyes, as though he were beginning to realize who Clark was.

Looking at him now, Clark knew without a doubt who Jon was. He remembered, too vividly, the night before he had left – when waiting no longer felt important. They couldn’t have known how long he would be gone. They never considered that just one time would be enough. But the boy stood before him now, the spitting image of himself when he was young. A wave of guilt washed over Clark stronger than any he had felt before. How could he have left her, alone and pregnant, to raise their son on her own? How could he have left his son to grow up without a father? He never should have left.

Jon looked at his mother, who offered him a reassuring smile, and then back at Clark with his own grin plastered across his face. Lois took a steadying breath before making the introductions. “Clark, this is your son, Johnathan Clark Kent.”

Clark had to force himself to breathe and fight back the wave of emotion that threatened to overcome him at hearing his son’s name.

“Jon,” Lois continued. “Sweetheart, this is your father.”

Clark wasn’t sure how, but Jon’s smile found a way to grow wider. For all the guilt Clark was feeling, it was clear that the boy felt no resentment towards him. “It’s nice to meet you, Dad.”

Dad… it was the first time anyone had ever called him that. Jor called him Ukr, father in Kryptonian, but it always felt so formal. There was no Kryptonian equivalent for daddy or dad – such endearments had no place in their society.

Yet here Jon was accepting him not only as some distant, unknown father, but as his dad although they’d only just met. Clark knew he should reply – should say or do something – but the overwhelming feeling of love for the boy, his son, left him floundering to formulate a response. Ultimately, his guilt won out. He owed this boy so much more than an apology but he would have to start there.

He placed a hesitant hand on Jon’s shoulder and looked him in the eye. “I am so sorry, Jon. I didn’t know… I never would have left if…”

Jon simply nodded. “I know, Dad. You left to save people. It’s what you do.”

Clark lowered his eyes. Jon had no way of knowing just how little saving he’d accomplished on New Krypton. But before he could dwell anymore on those thoughts, Jon surprised him again by stepping close and hugging him.

Clark froze for just a moment, unsure. Holding Lois had felt so natural, yet it had been almost ten years since anyone had embrace him in this way – let alone someone who was practically a stranger. Kryptonians rarely showed physical affection. Jor had certainly never hugged him. It simply wasn’t done. But his human instincts quickly overpowered the Kryptonian mannerisms he’d forced himself to adopt and Clark wrapped his arms around his son, hugging him back and trying to pour nine years’ worth of love and affection into a single embrace.

Pulling away after a moment, he held Jon at arm’s length and took a proper look at him. He could hardly believe that this grinning, kind-natured boy was his son – his and Lois’, the family he’d always wanted. He chuckled and reached up to muss Jon’s hair. “We have a lot of catching up to do, kid.”

Jon nodded enthusiastically. “We sure do. Will you teach me how to fly?”

Clark blink in surprise and turned his gaze back to Lois. “He knows?”

She nodded. “I told him a few years ago when I felt he could keep the secret. He wanted to know all about you.”

Clark sighed but nodded his acceptance. It was better that he knew the truth anyway. “We’ll, uh… we’ll work our way up to flying. Okay, Jon?” The boy nodded and Clark took a deep breath before looking around to where Jor was still standing, silent and expressionless.

Jor had been left in the dark for the past several minutes, without any knowledge of the language or understanding of the mannerisms between Clark, Lois, and Jon. It was high time introductions were made.

Clark stepped away from Jon and beckoned for Jor to move closer, placing a hand on his shoulder as he did. Glancing up at Lois, he could see the curiosity and trepidation in her eyes. She was already making guesses as to just who this other boy was.

“Lois, Jon,” Clark began. “This is Jor-El.”

Lois nodded as though she’d been expecting the name. “He’s your son.” There was no question in her voice, although her eyes pleaded with Clark to offer some other explanation.

The truth was a bit more complicated than that, but Clark didn’t want to explain in front of the boys. The simplest answer, therefore, was “Yes.”

Lois took a shuddering breath, clearly trying to hold back the hurt she was feeling. Jon just looked surprised, his eyes flicking back and forth between his parents, and occasionally to Jor-El.

“There is a lot I need to tell you.” Clark said.

Lois bit her lip and nodded. When she spoke, there was a slight catch in her voice. “I’m sure there is.”

Several moments of awkward silence followed before Jon apparently decided to break it. He stepped forward to stand in front of Jor and reached out for a handshake. “I guess that makes us brothers. Hi. I’m Jon.”

Jor stared blankly at the proffered hand, not understanding the gesture or the words. Clark sighed and quickly stepped in to translate. “I’m sorry, Jon. Jor hasn’t learned English yet.”

Jon dropped his hand and rubbed neck sheepishly. “Oh. Sorry.”

“It’s alright.” Clark switched to Kryptonian. < “Jor, this is Lois Lane. I have mentioned her before.”> Jor nodded to the woman in reply and then Clark directed his attention back to the boy in front of them. < “And this is Jon – Your brother.”>

Jor didn’t react at first. His mental walls were up, blocking Clark from gauging his feelings about meeting Jon. Not sure what else to do, Clark decided to offer a language lesson to the boys. “Brother. Ue. The Kryptonian word for brother is ue.”

Jon grinned at Jor. “Ue,” he repeated enthusiastically.

At this, Jor frowned. “Zha. Zha ue,” he replied to Jon before turning back to Clark. < “He is not my brother. He is your son – your true son and heir, as I will never be.”> Then he turned and walked away from the group in front of the house.

Clark stood in shock for several moments. Jor had not reacted in any way when he had first learned the truth of his parentage. While Clark wasn’t exactly surprised to hear the hurt and accusation in Jor’s words, he had not expected them. “Jor,” he called after the boy. < “Jor-El, wait.”> But Jor’s steps did not falter.

Clark was just preparing to chase after him, knowing that Jor could quickly become lost in this unfamiliar world, when Jor came to a stop at under a large tree and simply stood there, looking up into its branches. Biting the inside of his cheek, Clark turned back to Jon and Lois. There were no trees on New Krypton. At least Jor would keep himself occupied for the time being. He’d figure out how to get through to the boy eventually.

Last edited by Darth Michael; 01/12/24 12:48 PM. Reason: Added blue arrow to post for new story part