AN: I was trying to finish another ficlet that I had originally planned for next year when this came to mind. A continuation, if you will, from the first ficlet Friday a year ago. That ficlet can be found here.

This was too late to get a BR so all errors are mine.

Wish Upon A Leonid

I’m cold. It’s mid-November, there’s snow on the ground, and instead of curling up inside with a movie and pizza, I’ve agreed to go on a stargazing date with Clark. Our first date, though I wasn’t aware of it at the time, was out of the city, watching the Persieds and was a spectacular first date. We even endeavored to watch the Orionids a month ago, though the clouds moved in quickly and we were more interested in each other than watching the meteors.

Tonight we hadn’t left the city and I knew it would be too cloudy to see any meteors, but Clark kept driving. I should have driven; we’d be back at his place and warm by now if I had. He’s distracted. I can tell by the way he’s not teasing me as I whine about the cold. Instead of pushing to find out, I let him drive, keeping myself occupied by trying to figure out what he’s thinking about.

He’s not going to propose. He wouldn’t be that stupid. We’ve only been dating for three months; not nearly enough time to find out if he wants to be around me when I’m feeling especially antagonistic. Though if he insists that we’ll be watching the meteor shower under a cloud covered sky on a frigid night, we both might discover the answer to that question sooner rather than later.

Clark navigates the dark country road that we’ve traveled before, slowing down when we get to the same spot we’ve stopped to watch the other meteor showers. As he puts the Jeep into park and turns off the lights, I realize it’s starting to snow gently outside. He opens the door and smiles nervously at me and I start to worry. I rapidly analyze my reaction. Clark wouldn’t hurt a fly. He is the most gentle, generous and caring man I have ever known. I have no concern for my safety out here with him by my side. I also don’t think he brought me out here to break up with me. Even I have to admit we’ve been perfect for each other despite my constant attempts to find flaws in our relationship. I’d say the sex is great, but we haven’t crossed that threshold yet. Though considering how I melt when he kisses or touches me, I have full confidence it’ll be the best sex of my life.

What if he does propose? I’d be an idiot to say anything other than…

“Lois?” Clark asks as he opens the passenger door.

“Yes?” I squeak.

“Here, take my coat.”

My heart is pounding with nervousness as I step out of the Jeep and Clark wraps his coat around my shoulders. He told me to dress warm, and I did… just not warm enough. Trust him to give up his comfort to make sure I’m taken care of.

The snow crunches under my inadequate sneakers as we walk away from the Jeep, hand in hand. We stop where we’ve stopped before and I look up at the sky, expecting to find a pocket that is cloud free. Instead, heavy snowflakes land on my upturned face. Clark chuckles as he reaches a hand up to brush the snowflakes from my cheeks, and kisses the tip of my nose.

“Clark, why are we here? You said there was a meteor shower?”

“I did. And there is. I had hoped it wouldn’t be snowing.”

“Can we go home now?” I’m trying so hard not to whine, but I’m freezing.

Clark pulls me in for a hug and I’m not surprised to feel that he’s trembling. He must be just as cold without his coat on and I feel guilty for wearing it.

“I’m sorry. I had hoped it would be warmer. It would make this easier.”

I feel him kiss my hair and my mind races to consider what he’s trying to make easier.

“I love you, Lois.”

I feel myself stiffen as I anticipate the ‘but.’ I haven’t said those three words to him yet. I couldn’t say why. Maybe I’m still waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop.

He surprises me by placing a finger under my chin and tipping my head back. He kisses me deeply and I feel some of my tension ease.

“Clark, is everything ok?” That kiss was amazing, but hasn’t distracted me from my worries.

He hesitates, and loosens his arms around me, but does not let go.

“What’s wrong? We can figure it out together.” There’s a stab of dread in my heart. All these doctors visits he’s always rushing off to. Perhaps there’s something serious going on? I lean my head on his chest hoping he’ll hold me tighter again, reassure me that everything is fine.

“I’m afraid of losing you,” he whispers.

That sentence is my undoing. I’m afraid of losing him too!

“You won’t lose me,” I splutter as I try not to cry.

I expect a kiss, some release in the tension he’s holding, but am perturbed when he drops his head, worry etched deeper on his expression.

“Clark, what’s wrong?”

“I planned this out. It was going to be a perfect night under the stars. I even had a speech memorized.”

“So why can’t you tell me?”

Clark laughs and points at the sky.

“It’s snowing and we can’t see the stars.”

I’m lost. Whatever it is, he’s afraid of hurting me and it’s making him miserable.

“If you’re sick, we can get through this…”

He shakes his head and I try again.

“Is it something you did? A criminal past, or do you have another family?” I highly doubt either of those are in the realm of possibilities but throwing out the ludicrous may help him open up.

“No. It’s nothing like that.”

“Clark, there’s nothing you can say that will make me love you any less. I know you.”

As Clark considers my words, I realize I’ve just told him I love him and I’m not running away! Clark gently traces my cheek with his thumb, and kisses me. The clouds around me get thicker and when we break the kiss, I can see the stars overhead.

“How…?” I gasp.

He doesn’t answer, but I can see he looks worried.

I know the answer but right now, staring into Clark’s eyes, I can’t make those two thoughts collide. It can’t be! But I can’t bring myself to look down and confirm it.

“Are you cold?”

I’m freezing, in body and mind.

“I should have thought. There’s normally a cape that I could drape around you.”

Now I look down at the clouds below my feet. This explains a lot more than it should, right down to my chattering teeth while wearing my own coat, and his.

“What was your speech?”

He stumbles over his words as though he was expecting me to say something else.

“See that meteor?”

There’s more than one. It’s not as bright as the Perseids over summer, but there are more meteors to see above the clouds.

“Many years ago a tiny spacecraft landed on Earth leaving a streak of light behind it, much like these. The Kent’s found me inside and raised me as my own. I learned to hide who I was, until I met you. You, Lois Lane, created Superman and ever since we watched the Perseids, I knew this moment would come.”

“And you were afraid I’d be upset?”

“I was terrified you’d never speak to me again.”

He says it with such seriousness that it shakes my anger away. He really was afraid of losing me. Instead of answering impulsively, I turn away from him and watch the meteors streak across the sky. I can feel anger starting to seeth below the surface and I begin to rationalize why I should be angry. He’s lied to me, for over a year. Repeatedly. Every day. But he’s also been there for me, defended me when no one else would, put up with my bad days, the belittling, and snide jokes. He’s become such a part of my life that I can’t imagine what living would be without him.

“I can’t promise I won’t be angry or upset, but I’ve come to like having you around.”

It seems such an inadequate thing to say. I know that if we get through this, we’ll never part. This isn’t just my here and now, it’s my future and my life. Our lives.

“I love you, Lois Lane.”

“I love you too, Clark Kent. Can we please go home now?”

He laughs as we lower through the clouds and back to solid ground.

“Did you wish upon a star?” I ask him.

“No. I don’t need to. I’ve got everything I need right here.”

Feedback

Last edited by Toomi8; 11/18/23 01:49 AM.