Lois dragged a toe through the water, sending ripples that scattered a tiny school of minnows. "I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow."

Clark laced his fingers through hers. "Hey, at least you managed to convince your parents to come in the first place. Smallville isn't exactly a hot tourist destination."

She grinned. "Lucy will probably never forgive me. I'll probably need to save up all my allowance for bribes if I want to make it back next summer." Her grip on his hand tightened, and she studied his face. "Any powers yet?"

The soft head-shake sent her heart plummeting. "Nothing that couldn't be chalked up to eating well and living on a farm. We're looking at a couple more years, at least, and that's just for strength. Nothing that'll get me to Metropolis easily, unless I decide to join the circus.

Her laugh soon gave way to an irritated sigh, and she released his hand to lie back on the grass. "Have I mentioned I hate time travel?"

"Not today."

Her nose crinkled adorably, and he couldn't stop himself from imagining that face on a daughter. "Well, I hate time travel."

His hand found hers again. "We'll make it through this. At least we've got each other, this time."

Her eyes searched his. "Do we really? I had to spend a month making a fake brochure in the school Art room, and I don't think my parents will be up for a return trip after that debacle with the Irigs' bull."

"We will make it," he repeated. "Lois Lane, you are an incredible and resourceful woman." He squeezed her hand, a smile tugging the corner of his mouth. "Even if that last word doesn't really apply right now."

She smiled back at him. "And you're amazing, even without Superman." Her smile dimmed. "But do you think it's enough to prevent the end of the world?"

He released her hand, stood, and brushed the mud from his jeans. "I guess we'll have to find out."

The End

~•~