TOC

Chapter 26

As the elevator doors slid open, Lois stepped out into the bustling newsroom. It was late enough in the afternoon that most reporters were in, getting their stories ready for final editing. Only a few of her co-workers were still out on assignments. Usually Lois would be among the people who sat at their desks typing and editing frantically. Most of the time, she didn’t care so much for this part of her job. Sure, she loved writing – it was a huge part of who she was. But she enjoyed the thrill of the chase even more.

Today, though, she'd do just about anything to be one of them, exchanging friendly banter with Clark while he edited her copy or they argued about a certain phrase. But Clark wasn’t here, which was as much relieving as it was painful. Lois walked down the ramp and let her gaze drift over the newsroom. Clark’s desk was still empty. On the other side of the room, Perry was just sticking his head out of his office, getting ready for his evening round of hovering above the newsroom like a vulture, ready to dig his claws into the first hapless reporter who threatened to miss the impending deadline.

Jimmy was everywhere at once, darting back and forth among Eduardo, Pete and Rogers. Most likely, he was running some last-minute errands for the senior staff. It was the usual hustle and bustle that, today, happened without her.

Lois went to her desk and sat down, feeling strangely detached, as if she was behind a thick pane of glass that separated her from everyone else. Everything looked so normal, a regular news day that drew to a close and no earth-shaking news that interrupted the routine.

Yet things were as far from normal as they could possibly get. The world had stopped turning without anyone knowing but her. It was disconcerting, terrifying, really.

Lois didn’t even know what she was doing here. Biding her time? Waiting until she could safely break into S.T.AR. Labs? She should go check on Clark; she should try to hunt down Nigel St. John. She should do anything but sit here waiting for Lex’ next move.

It was beyond frustrating, but at the same time the only reasonable thing to do.

Lois forced herself to shrug out of her coat. She clenched her hands into tight fists and slowly counted to ten.

Clark was right.

It would look suspicious if she didn’t show up here all day. It was bad enough that Clark was missing, too. Lois gritted her teeth. If only it really was Clark who was missing. She cringed as she remembered all the bad things she'd been ready to believe about Clark the other day. Would she have been just as unfair if the same had happened with Superman?

Probably not, she had to concede. No wonder Superman had been so wary of her declaration of love. She'd set him on a pedestal, expecting things of him that no human being could possibly live up to.

But now wasn't the time to lose herself in regret. She needed to focus and do something productive while she was here. Lois took a deep breath, trying to calm herself enough to think clearly.

“Lois, where in the Sam Hill have you been all day?”

Startled at how close her editor’s voice sounded, Lois turned around, finding Perry practically breathing down her neck.

His brows furrowed as his gaze drifted over her desk, where a neatly stacked pile of files sat untouched. Lois hadn't even noticed it before. For a moment, she racked her mind where it might have come from and what she was supposed to do with it. But that wasn’t the only reason Perry’s lips turned smaller by the second. The screen of her computer was blank, giving away that she hadn’t even started to type any kind of story. For an agonizing few seconds, he just looked at her, giving her time to explain why his top reporter had been missing all day without turning up a single story.

But how could she even hope to explain what had happened?

When Lois remained silent, Perry cleared his throat. “Any news on who killed Bender and the guy who abducted him?”

Lois shook her head, then gave him a helpless shrug. “Nothing you would believe if I told you and, unfortunately, nothing I can prove.”

“Which means, you don’t have a story,” Perry deadpanned.

Lois bit her lip. “Not yet.”

She refrained from squeezing her eyes shut at the unwanted notion that, if Clark didn’t get his body back, there was a good chance she could never print any of it. Her heart started to race and her breathing turned shallower. While she’d been busy helping Clark or chasing Henderson, it had been much easier to keep her mind off the possibility that Clark might lose this fight. But now… she really didn’t want to imagine what would happen if the man who sat at the desk a few feet across from her would forever be Lex.

Oblivious to Lois’ borderline panic attack, Perry leaned against her desk. “What about the explosion at the docks? Any progress on that?”

His gaze wandered back to the pile sitting on her desk and suddenly Lois remembered that she’d asked Jimmy to compile a list of the stuff the harbor area had contained. The files were likely the result of his research.

“I have one eyewitness saying that Superman caused the explosion,” Lois replied with a resigned sigh. “I have a second witness saying the same, but he isn’t prepared to go on the record until certain safety measures are implemented. I told Henderson what I heard, but he didn’t get back to me with any news on that case, so…”

Lois took a deep breath, trying to get her racing heart back under control. She really hoped that she’d told Perry enough to get him off her back. If she gave him any more details and somehow Luthor would guess that she must have spoken to Clark… The implications were just too awful to imagine.

Perry gave a non-committal grunt that she hoped meant she was off the hook for the time being. He folded his arms in front of his chest. “And where is that elusive partner of yours? I haven’t seen him since he darted off this morning. At least I was told you did make up after, well, whatever it is that was going on between the two of you.”

A faint smile played around Perry’s lips, but she could also see that he was worried about both her performance and Clark’s. This whole disaster had better be over soon, for more reasons than just her peace of mind.

“We… uhm… we’re getting there,” Lois replied weakly.

“I sure hope so,” Perry growled and turned to walk away. He stopped dead, turning back to Lois. His voice had an unusual warning tone to it. “Speaking of the devil. Seems like that elusive partner finally decided to grace us with his presence.”

Lois froze, craning her neck just a bit to be able to look past Perry. Clark Kent was indeed walking down the ramp, looking a bit worse for wear than he had this morning. Lois studied him more thoroughly, trying to gauge what exactly it was that disturbed her about his appearance.

His suit was a perfect fit, letting her mouth run dry for a moment until she remembered that this wasn't really her partner. The tie was too modest, his smile not quite right.

Lois' hands turned clammy with sweat. She wasn't ready to meet Lex. But she couldn’t let on that she knew he wasn't Clark. So how would she treat Clark if he’d disappeared for hours on end, again, after he’d been absent for most of the past two days? And all of that without making him mad?

Lex in Clark’s body came down the ramp, a smile plastered on his face.

“Lois.” His smile crumpled a bit and he looked at her with a rueful expression. It was the perfect impression of devastation and Lois couldn’t help but think that he’d practiced it in front of a mirror. “I’m so… so sorry, my dear. I had some urgent business to attend to and it took up more time than I expected.”

Lois’ stomach lurched as she tried to think of something to say to him. She was painfully aware that Perry was still close enough to listen into their conversation.

She stuck out her chin. “We were supposed to meet…” Her mind raced, trying to come up with a reasonable location. “... at the precinct to talk to Henderson.”

Her gut clenched and she held her breath as she waited for Lex to reply. On a sudden, terrifying notion, she wondered if Lex would guess that she was lying. Though Clark, the real Clark, was far too trusting for his own good, he also had an uncanny instinct that told him when someone was lying. Beads of sweat ran down her spine as she realized that what she’d always considered a good instinct was a result of a subtle use of powers. The same powers that now Lex possessed.

If he’d improved his abilities, he would know that she was just making this up. Would he smell her sweat, hear her heart race? Lois felt decidedly sick as she realized that Clark had been right about these powers. They were indeed terrifying. How was she supposed to get through all of this if one look at her, every tiny beat of her heart was enough to give away her intentions?

Lex stared down at his feet, looking rather crestfallen. And for a moment there, Lois once again saw Clark in him. It made her want to hug and slap the man at the same time. Geez, was this confusing.

“I don’t know what to say."

“Well, I suggest you sort your private problems soon and stop bringing them to the newsroom.” Perry chimed in. “I’ve never scolded you for your frequent absences because I know you get the job done. But this is beginning to affect your work, and I can’t tolerate that.”

Lex's - or was it Clark's? - jaw worked. "I know, and I'm so sorry. It's been a tough few days, but I promise it won't happen again, Mr. White."

Perry raised his brows and pursed his lips. The formal address surely couldn't have escaped his notice. Lois suddenly felt hot and cold at the same time. She sent a quiet prayer to Heaven that he still remembered that she'd begged him not to call Clark out on any unusual behavior. Her heart pounded so loud that Lex just had to hear it.

Next to Lois, Perry folded his arms in front of his chest and took one of those deep breaths that often preceded one of his famous, if somewhat mysterious allegories about Elvis Presley. She wanted to give Perry a sign, shake her head or anything to keep him from opening his mouth.

Who knew what might happen if Lex felt cornered. She'd seen what he was capable of. The burn marks on Clark's chest would haunt her in her nightmares.

The Planet had been rebuilt just half a year ago; she didn't want to see Lex blow it up again. Because if he did that now, he'd make sure the building was incinerated.

Frozen in shock, Lois stared at Perry, painfully aware that Lex was standing right beside her.

"It better not," Perry warned. "I want a front-page story on my desk tomorrow."

Then he gave a tight nod and returned to his office, skipping any further lectures and leaving Lois alone with Lex. She wasn't sure if she should faint with relief or run after him to find shelter in his office.

Lois felt dizzy and slumped in her chair. Her mind raced as she tried to come up with anything to say that would ease the tension.

Lex made the first step. He cracked a wry smile and sat down on the edge of her desk. "I guess that means we're in trouble. And here I was hoping that we could call it a night. As far as I recall, I still owe you a romantic dinner."

Lois suppressed the impulse to ask him if he wanted another kick in his groin. Instead she rolled her eyes.

"What do you expect, Clark?"

The name on her lips tasted like poison, as if she was violating the man she loved just by calling this monster by the name that was so dear to her. A shudder ran down her spine. It took her a moment to compose herself. She couldn't afford to get lost in such thoughts.

"You've been absent for most of the day, and we keep hitting dead ends with the story we're investigating." She narrowed her eyes on him. "Which you would know if you had been around to help me."

He looked up ruefully. "I already said I'm sorry."

"I know." Lois heaved a sigh.

Suddenly, a crazy idea crossed her mind. Crazy enough that it might work, but also dangerous. If Clark were here, he would probably shake his head and lift his hands, tear his hair, and get down on his knees begging her not to do this. And he would probably be right, because if it backfired…

Lois mentally crossed her fingers and took a deep breath. "Since you're back, we should probably check on a tip I got from a source in the Metropolis Detention Center."

Lex raised his brows. "Oh?"

His curious expression resembled Clark's so much that Lois wished he were really here with her and she was really just suggesting another wild goose chase. But the man in front of her wasn't Clark, she reminded herself, no matter how much she wanted him to be. His lips had curled in an adorable smile and for a moment, she felt the strong urge to kiss him.

Geez, she wanted them to switch back again just for a moment to have him hold her and tell her that everything was going to be all right. She wanted to feel the reassuring pressure of his lips on hers.

"Lois?" Clark's voice pulled her back to reality.

She cringed. "Sorry, I got distracted for a moment. Get this, the late Mr. Bender visited someone in prison shortly before he returned from the ‘prank’" – she indicated the air quotes with her fingers – “his fraternity brothers played on him. And guess who went with him?"

Lex looked back at her, puzzled. He shrugged.

Lois held her breath, aware that if she said this now, there was no taking back her words. "Nigel St. John."

Lex's brows furrowed. "Any idea what he wanted there?"

Lois shook her head. "Beats me. But perhaps we can try to set up an interview with the inmate, make something up, I don't know and…"

She trailed off as she realized that Lex was no longer paying attention. His lips had become a tight line and his jaw twitched dangerously.

He already turned to leave. "Forgive me, Lois, I just remembered something. I will be back soon, I promise."

"But Clark," she protested. "You can't leave now. Perry is going to kill us if we don't dig up a story soon."

He looked at her, troubled. "Why don't you go ahead? I will join you as soon as I can. I won't be long, I promise."

With that, he rushed off, like he so often did. Or, to be more precise, like the real Clark did all the time. Instead of anger, Lois just felt relief. Though she was also worried that she might have shot herself in the foot with this risky move.

For the time being, Lex was out of the picture and she could only hope that St. John would be smart enough to handle the monster, either by disappearing or deceiving him.

Now that she no longer was under the scrutiny of her ex-fiancé-turned-superhuman villain, Lois rubbed her clammy fingers dry and went looking for Jimmy.

She found him pouring himself coffee. Though her own fingers were still trembling, she reached for a cup and filled it with the dark liquid. Trying to appear casual, she sipped at her cup before she eyed Jimmy over the rim.

"Got any plans for this evening?"

Jimmy looked surprised. "Not yet. I was looking forward to spending some time with Angela, but she's busy tonight."

Lois tried to suppress the sigh of relief. "Good. Then we're going to meet at S.T.A.R. Labs, nine p.m. sharp."

Jimmy raised his brows. "You're taking me on an investigation?" He couldn't quite hide his excitement. "What about Clark?"

"Clark isn't the most reliable partner at the moment," Lois replied. "I need someone who's actually going to be there. Just, please, don't tell him I said this. I know he's not being difficult on purpose and I'd hate to hurt him."

Jimmy just nodded, looking a bit overwhelmed. Lois flashed him a weak smile and rushed off as fast as she could before Jimmy started wondering why she suddenly cared about her partner's feelings.

She couldn't help but wonder if she would have been as considerate if Clark had really shown such behavior. Lois cringed as she realized that the answer was probably no.

As she returned to her desk, she emptied the cup into the plant, likely killing it off for good because the coffee had still been hot. But worked up and jittery as she was, the last thing she needed was caffeine.

Lois sat down at her desk and took deep breaths, trying to calm her racing heart with the mantra that, at the very least, she'd implemented a plan for tonight.

Just as she was beginning to feel calm enough to get back to work, whatever that meant, her phone rang.

She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping that the news wouldn't be bad. It took three rings until she worked up the courage to pick up.

"Lois Lane, Daily Planet."

It was Kelly's voice. "I've got the stone. When do we meet?"

Lois drew in a sharp breath. "At half past ten tonight-" Before she had a chance to say anything else, the line went dead.

Lois stared at the receiver in her hands. She felt sick and dizzy as the weight of the world settled upon her shoulders. That left her no time for failure. She placed the receiver on the hook and buried her face in her hands.

Never before had she so desperately longed to feel Clark's strong hands on her shoulders. His quiet support had carried her through every ordeal.

She had no idea how she was going to face this without him.

<I miss you so much,> she thought desperately.

And for a moment she imagined that he thought back to her.

<Miss you, too.>

Comments

Last edited by bakasi; 10/15/23 02:17 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool