New Year’s Eve Season 30
By: Carrie Rene

Summary: It has been 30 years since Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman premiered on our screens. So, in honor of that, I am writing this to celebrate. Thank you to everyone who has loved these characters just as much as I have. One more thank you to SuperBek for editing.

The dark-haired woman looked out over the Metropolis skyline. She was ecstatic to have all of her family with her tonight. It was strange to realize through the years how much her family had changed — how much she had changed. She used to celebrate this night alone or with a few co-workers. Now, it was her husband, her children, and her co-workers. And some of those co-workers were part of her family.

Turning around, she noticed one of those co-workers dancing with his wife, twirling his schoolteacher wife and throwing his head back laughing. Jimmy Olsen, now known as James, had been married to Melinda for the past twenty years. The two of them had connected over computers and had been attached at the hip ever since. They now had four children. Sometimes Lois had to laugh, thinking about how much James had changed. She’d watched him fall in love, become a father, and then take over as editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet. Yep, James Barthlomew Olsen had brought the Daily Planet into the digital world — one of the first newspapers to make that leap. And now, he often also brought his teenage son into the office to show him a few things.

“Mom, where’s Dad?” Natalie Kent asked, coming out to where Lois stood on the terrace.

Natalie had her dad’s kind heart and Lois’s tenacity and stubborn streak. Yet, Natalie loved figuring things out, and her favorite thing to do was to take computers apart and put them back together with even more power. Maybe she’d gotten some of that love of computers from her “uncle” James.

“He should be here soon,” Lois replied, putting her arm around her daughter. “Now where is P.J.? I saw the two of you dancing earlier.”

Natalie was three years older than James’ oldest son, P.J. or Perry James. P.J. had always followed Natalie around, and as they had gotten older, it had become obvious to everyone except Natalie that P.J. was in love with her. At twenty-two years old, Natalie could be oblivious when it came to matters of the heart, just like her mother had been so long ago.

“Mom, please, don’t start,” Natalie responded as the two went back into the ballroom. “Don’t you have some mayoral things to do?”

“I’m your mother first, mayor of Metropolis is maybe third or fifth on the list,” Lois commented.

Yes, Lois Lane Kent had won by a landslide last year. Lois never thought she would be involved in politics. Clark had dared her to run when she was complaining about how the education system in Metropolis had not been changed in over twenty years. Because of her background at the Daily Planet and the way she had effected change throughout the years, she had won.

“Just third or fifth. Mom, what’s second?” Natalie wondered.

“Your father, of course. I just wish he would get here,” Lois stated as she looked toward the entrance to the ballroom. “He called about two hours ago and said he would get here before midnight.”

“Another forest fire,” Natalie whispered to her mom. “I told him I could help with some of them. I created a couple of new gadgets that could help him with some of the fires.”

“You know your dad, he likes to make sure you and your brothers stay clear of that type of work until Grandma Martha can make you an actual costume. We wanted you kids to have as a normal childhood as possible.”

“Yeah, not everyone can say their dad flies around in tights,” Natalie joked before walking away to join some of her friends on the dance floor.

Lois shook her head at the thought of her children telling their friends what their dad did in his spare time.

“What’s so funny?” a man whispered in her ear while his strong arms wrapped around her waist.

“Your daughter. I’m so glad you got here before midnight. It’s getting difficult to explain to the press where my husband always disappears to,” Lois answered, leaning back into his arms.

“I know. But if you think about it, we used to be those annoying press people bothering the politicians and celebrities.” Clark twirled his wife around to get a look at her. “Breathtaking, as usual.”

Lois was wearing a long blue dress that was covered in sparkles and hung over one shoulder. She blushed as she always did when he looked at her like that, even after all these years. After twenty-six years of marriage, Clark still made her feel loved and cherished. She rested her hands on the lapels of his dark blue suit, which matched her dress, and then smiled at his bow tie, whose sparkles also matched her dress. Then she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“How did everything go?” she asked softly, her mouth close to his.

“I was able to get most of the fire out. These fires are getting harder for me to handle on my own and extinguish without putting the firemen in danger. I should really try Nat’s inventions next time,” he explained as he tilted his head toward their daughter.

Lois followed his line of sight and realized he must have heard the last bit of her conversation with Natalie.

“I thought we talked about this. Having Nat out there or even Jordan could put them in danger,” Lois said, pulling away from him.

Natalie had noticed her powers start to come in at the age of fifteen. But even as her powers grew, she started experimenting with technology to help rather than using only her superpowers. Jordan, on the other hand, wanted to go full force and try to help save everyone’s life as soon as his powers had started to show. The twins, Jordan and Jonathan, were now seventeen, and Jordan had first noticed his vulnerability at a party one night a few months back. Jonathan was the only one who hadn’t yet developed powers like his dad. But Lois had always reminded Jon that he could help in the same way she always had — by using the power of his mind.

“I’m not saying they should be out there with me. I was saying the gadgets she created could come in handy. Remember, I was in my late twenties when we created Superman. I don’t want them to have to go through what I did. The media is even crazier and has more access than ever before. At times I wonder when our bubble will burst and the secret identity be revealed.”

“And remember how many times we had to figure out how to hide that secret identity? How many times has your secret almost been revealed?” Lois asked. “I don’t know if I can go through that with our children.”

“I don’t want them to either, but can we stop them? If they want to help, we can’t tell them ‘no,’ especially Natalie.”

“What about Jon?” Lois wondered aloud. Clark knew Jon had issues with not having powers. Sometimes, Jon worked with Natalie, but other times he liked investigating alone, like his mom. Clark tightened his arms around her and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

“What are you thinking about?” Lois asked.

“How our first New Year’s together was thirty years ago. We made it Lois, we have a loving family with friends who help us live normal lives, even when we are far from normal,” Clark explained.

A few minutes later, Natalie, Jordan, and Jonathan gathered around their parents as the countdown began.

“Happy New Year,” Lois beamed as the streamers, confetti, and champagne came out. Clark cupped Lois’s cheek and kissed her lightly.

“Happy New Year to my wonderful wife and the mayor of Metropolis,” Clark responded. “I hope the next thirty years are as spectacular as the last thirty years have been.”

“With my ‘super’ husband around, I can’t see why they won’t be,” she beamed.

The End

Last edited by CarrieRene; 10/23/23 07:13 PM.