Hey, guys. It's Friday, so here you go with the latest installment in the MagiKal series.

What Spells The End

"I wonder why EPRAD calls a press conference about this solar eclipse," Lois muttered. "Seems to me like there is more going on than that."

"Yeah."

Clark stuffed his hands into the pockets of his pants. He didn't quite know what to say. Talking to Lois had never been an issue. Usually the conversation flowed back and forth without effort. But today the words were stuck on the tip of his tongue.

Houdini looked up at him as if he was aware of Clark's discomfort. Did the dog have any idea what was going through his master's mind? What would he say if he could voice his opinion on the matter? Clark's unease grew as he remembered how Houdini had reacted the last time Lois had exposed him to the green crystal. His stomach clenched with dread.

He watched Lois from the side, trying to work up his courage. Her expression as she'd seen him collapse, the pain in her gaze as she'd found him in her apartment, the guilt she'd felt about it, all that danced before his mind's eye.

How could he even think about asking her to do it again? It would be unnecessarily cruel. He couldn't do it on his own, so he had to ask someone. But it didn't have to be her. His parents were the obvious choice.

Only with Lois it would hurt less and he wouldn't have to wait until his powers were back before he could see her again. Though he knew it was selfish, he would prefer if she freed him of the splinter.

"How about dinner at my place tonight?" she suggested. "But don't get your hopes up too high. It's either takeout or you cook."

Clark attempted a grin, but it felt forced and unnatural, so he gave up. Why did this have to be so hard? They'd barely just reached the point in their relationship where they were thinking about exploring intimacy. He almost wished he were still oblivious to the reason for his hiccups. Strangely, things had been easier before he'd known.

Lois laid a hand on his arm. "Is something on your mind?"

He heaved a sigh and nodded. But his throat was too tight to reply. And they had almost reached their destination. There just wasn't enough time to say all the things he needed to say.

"I know this isn't easy for you," she whispered. "If dinner at my place is too much too soon, I'd understand. I guess I'm just longing to spend more time with you after the hustle of the last few days."

Clark stared at his feet. He hated making her think he was afraid of spending time with her. After she'd discovered the splinter in his back, he'd told her that he needed time to think. The truth was that it had taken him about five seconds to decide that he'd rather face the green crystal than a life without her in it.

He couldn't deny he was scared, which was why he wanted her there. But that was too much to ask.

The doors of the EPRAD press conference center were looming in front of him. He cleared his throat. Perhaps he could talk to her about it later.

Clark faked a smile. "Dinner would be great."

He cringed. Though he'd tried hard to sound enthusiastic about it, he'd failed. This was going to be infinitely worse if he was sending mixed messages.

He wasn't sure how to explain what was troubling him. And from inside the building he heard the buzzing voices of the gathered journalists dying down. The press conference was about to begin.

Clark felt the comforting warmth of Houdini's fur under his hand. The dog pressed his body against Clark's legs, lending him quiet support.

"I'm sorry." Clark sighed and made a new effort. "My mind is elsewhere."

Lois' eyes widened as it seemed to dawn on her what was really bothering him. "Do you want to talk about it?"

He shook his head and turned toward the doors. "We should go inside or we'll miss the conference. They've started."

Lois held him back. "We don't need to go inside. You… could just listen in and tell me what they're saying."

Clark wasn't sure whether his tension eased or grew. "You won't be able to ask all the right questions."

Lois shrugged. "Someone will. You're more important than some unscheduled solar eclipse."

This time his smile was genuine. "What did I ever do to deserve you?"

He closed his eyes and concentrated on what was being said inside. It wasn't easy to filter out the voice of EPRAD's spokesperson between murmurs of journalists and the many other sounds of his immediate surrounding.

"The solar eclipse was caused by an asteroid that will pass Earth…" More voices filled his ears, other voices that were also talking about the asteroid. His breath caught.

Houdini's bark cut through his head like a knife. He clutched at his ears, suddenly only hearing an intense ringing. Blinking, he tried to clear his head and get his senses back under control.

His vision blurred and he spotted a group of people taking to each other in a small room close to the main conference room. One of them was military, wearing the epaulets of a general. He was in a heated conversation with a scientist.

Clark's hearing kicked back in. "No, there's no doubt, General Zeitlin. Nightfall will be a direct hit."

He closed his eyes and concentrated on the sounds much closer to him. Houdini whimpered, his heartbeat slightly erratic. The fabric of Lois shirt rustled a bit as she moved. Clark's own breath came in panting gasps.

Lois voice made him flinch. "Clark, what's the matter with you?"

Though he was pretty sure she'd only whispered, his ears were still sensitive. He rubbed his temple and fought for words. How could he tell her what he'd just heard? An asteroid was headed toward Earth. Fear held his heart a vice-like grip. He wished he could go back to having to ask her assistance with the crystal.

"Clark? Do we need to get away from here?"

He shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. "No, I'm okay or will be in a few minutes. I overheard a conversation between a General and a scientist. This press conference is nothing but a diversion to avoid panic. They're telling the press that the asteroid will pass Earth, but that's not true."

She stared back at him, open-mouthed. Clark wasn't quite sure if he saw confusion in her expression or shock.

He felt the need to clarify. "The asteroid will hit. It's bigger than the one responsible for the extinction of dinosaurs. They're calling it Nightfall."

Lois' looked at him with wide eyes. Her face was pale, her lips trembling slightly. His own breath quickened and his palms were clammy with sweat.

An asteroid would hit Earth, big enough to destroy anyone and anything he held dear. He'd escaped one catastrophe twenty-seven years ago only to face another one now. And this time there would be no space ship to take him into a world where he was loved. He'd lose everything except maybe his life.

There was another option, he realized. He might be strong enough, stronger than even he suspected. He had to be, because he refused to consider anything else.

His eyes focused on Lois again, took in the fear he saw in her gaze. Until now, he hadn't told her about the full extent of his powers. There had been that tiny sliver of doubt making him scared that if she knew just how strong he was, just how much destruction he could cause, she would no longer want to be his friend.

It no longer mattered. Nothing would matter if she was dead.

Clark cleared his throat and dug his hand into Houdini's soft fur, searching his support.

"Don't worry, Lois. I'll stop this asteroid."

Last edited by bakasi; 09/01/23 12:13 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool