[Chapter 10: Relax]

Clark smiled as he approached Lois’ desk with some coffee.

“Hi, Lois,” he greeted.

“Clark!” she gasped, leaping up and hugging him before he could place her coffee down.

Fortunately, his superior reflexes prevented him from spilling it as he happily returned her hug.

“I didn’t know you were coming back today,” she said, taking the offered coffee, suddenly a little embarrassed by her actions even though Clark didn’t seem to mind them.

“Yeah. My flight came in this morning,” he said.

“A red eye?” she asked apologetically.

He shrugged. “It got me back sooner,” he explained, earning a smile from her. “So, have I missed anything?”

“Not a whole lot. Kal-El did a few rescues, with and without Superman, but nothing too exciting.” She shrugged.

“Oh. That’s good,” Clark said. “Well, I, uh, before Perry realizes I’m here, and before we get distracted, I was wondering . . . would you like to come to Smallville with me for Thanksgiving? My mom makes the best apple pie.”

“Oh!” Lois blinked before biting her lip in apprehension. “Uh, I’d love to, truly, but I, um, I’m sorry, I invited Kal-El to celebrate Thanksgiving at my place. Of course, you know me and cooking, but–”

Clark didn’t seem too perturbed. “He’s invited too, then,” he said, smiling. “The guy did save my life, and my mom always makes too much food.”

Lois couldn’t help but relax. “Are you sure? I mean–”

“My parents would love to meet him and thank him for saving my life,” he said seriously.

She smiled. “Okay. But there’s only a few days before Thanksgiving,” she said before growing contemplative. “Do you think he’d be okay with the change of plans?” she asked.

“I don’t see why he wouldn’t, but there’s only one way to know for sure. Superman told me he’d give me a statement finalizing the treaty, so if one of us doesn't see Kal first, Superman can ask him,” Clark assured, happy Lois was clearly as excited about Thanksgiving as he was.

“Did you invite Superman too?” she asked.

“He has other plans,” he said apologetically.

“Oh. With his own family?” she asked, both curious and a little bummed that he wouldn’t be joining them.

“Uh, yeah,” Clark said uncomfortably.

“Okay. Well, should I bring anything?” Lois asked.

“Nope, my mom has everything set,” Clark said, beaming before Perry saw him.

“KENT! My office!”

O o O o O

Clark and Kal landed on the roof of S.T.A.R. Labs, Clark in the suit, Kal in his casual attire.

“Thanks for agreeing to come,” Clark said.

“No problem. I’m actually happy to meet your Dr. Klein. On my world, he’s been my doctor since I returned from Nightfall,” Kal explained.

“Well, I’m not sure how I would feel if our positions were reversed and I was asked to get poked and prodded,” Clark admitted.

“From what you’ve told me about him, he’s much like my doctor, so this’ll be a nice distraction,” Kal said as they entered.

“Still, it makes me wish even more that I had been able to give you some good news on those sketches you provided,” Clark said.

“I knew it had been a long shot. That machine appeared to be more a television prop than anything else. I wish I had x-rayed it. Maybe then those sketches wouldn't have been such a waste of time,” Kal said honestly, following Clark into a large lab.

“Oh! Hello, uh, Mr. El,” Dr. Klein exclaimed as Kal and Clark turned.

Kal laughed, offering his hand. “Just ‘Kal’ is fine.”

Bernie grinned and heartily shook his hand.

“This is remarkable. You two really look identical, well, except for the patch!” Klein exclaimed.

Kal smiled. “So, I understand you wanted to ask some questions and test some things?”

"Yes! Thank you!" Klein gushed.

Klein quickly got to work, taking Kal's vitals and asking for simple demonstrations of his abilities so he could measure and compare them with Superman's results.

And then Dr. Klein retrieved a fancy looking device that looked like some kind of scanner that had two prongs sticking off the top.

"Superman mentioned you said you had injured your aura in the past?" Dr. Klien inquired.

"Yes. I've recovered since, but due to that injury I can now consciously manipulate my aura," Kal said simply.

"Could you show us?" Klein asked eagerly.

"Well, what exactly would you like me to do? I mean, right now I'm keeping it as close as I can to myself."

"You make it sound like you're consciously having to do that," Superman said with a frown.

"I am," Kal said.

"Is that difficult?" Dr. Klein asked.

"Well . . . normally, no."

"But . . ." Superman pried.

"I haven't let myself relax like I normally do because I don't want to make people uncomfortable," Kal finally admitted.

"Why would it make people uncomfortable? From what I've found from examining Superman's aura, it's not dangerous. The opposite in fact."

"I can sense people's emotions and they can sense mine through it," Kal explained. "It can be disconcerting, especially if you're not expecting it."

“Well, you can relax here,” Dr. Klein said.

“Uh, there are people on the floors below us,” Kal said tentatively.

“It’ll extend through the floors?” Dr. Klein asked, surprised.

“Most physical material doesn’t hinder it,” he said. “And since it’s been awhile since I’ve relaxed, it extends out a ways before it stabilizes to about seven feet around me,” he explained.

“How far is ‘a ways’?” Superman asked. “And please tell me you haven’t been holding it back since you first arrived.”

“I’ve been going into the atmosphere occasionally,” Kal quickly assured.

“Which I doubt has been enough,” Superman deadpanned.

Kal looked a little chagrined but not by much.

“Okay. Here is what we’re going to do. You’re going to relax your aura here, just a little so this scanner can do its thing, and then I’m taking you to the Kents’ place. It’s close enough to when they’re expecting you anyway. That way you can actually relax for the holiday," Superman stated.

Kal slowly nodded. "I suppose that'll work. Okay."

Dr. Klein looked on curiously as Kal turned to him and softly exhaled. A moment later, the contraption in his hand began beeping wildly.

"Oh!" Dr. Klein gasped.

Fifteen minutes later, Kal and Clark left an ecstatic Dr. Klein to his analyses.

O o O o O

Kal let his aura extend as they climbed higher into the sky, and he could feel Clark’s amazement continue to grow the further it went out.

He sighed in relief. Tension left his form as he was finally able to fully relax. Since the meetings with the UN were over, Clark had assured him he would cover any necessary rescue work, so Kal didn't need to worry about forcing his aura back.

If he was honest, he felt like the genie from Aladdin. It was ridiculous.

"I definitely see how holding all this back would be draining," Clark commented as they flew to Smallville.

"It's only like this because it's been cooped up for so long," Kal pointed out.

"You make it sound like a puppy that's been trapped in a tiny apartment all day," Clark said, unable to suppress a smirk.

Kal chuckled. "I suppose that's close to how it feels."

The farm came within view and Kal and Clark landed. Knowing the coast was clear, Clark spun out of the suit and began walking in his normal attire.

"Come on, my parents should be home," Clark said. He paused and looked back, feeling Kal's rising unease through his aura. "You think seeing them will make being here final or something?" Clark asked.

"It'll make it more real, certainly," Kal admitted. “But it’s not that.”

"Is it your aura?" Clark asked knowingly.

Kal nodded stiffly.

“It’ll be fine. They already know about it. I told them what you had told me,” he assured. "After raising me, a version of you, the aura is just another power."

"I suppose that's true," Kal said, relaxing slightly as they came upon the house.

Clark knocked on the front door as Kal hung back a bit.

Martha opened the door.

“Oh! Clark,” she greeted, looking back and forth between them before opening the door wide. “Jonathan! They’re here!”

She immediately hugged her son and then looked at Kal, clearly bemused by his distance. He was a few yards off the porch. “And you’re obviously Kal."

Kal straightened but didn't step forward as he smiled tentatively, his good eye widening in wonder as he stared at her.

"Hi, uh, Mrs. Kent," he greeted.

Martha smiled in understanding as Jonathan stepped out of the house and clapped Clark on the back.

“Mr. Kent,” Kal added.

Jonathan smiled and quickly motioned him to come forward. “Kal, right? As strange as I’m sure this is for all of us, my wife and I are very happy to finally meet you. What you did for our son . . . we are grateful.”

“You’re welcome,” Kal said quietly.

Martha and Jonathan looked at him in question, not sure why he still hadn’t approached.

“I’m, uh,” Kal started after a glance at Clark. “I’m relaxing my aura. I didn’t want to startle you by getting close before warning you.”

“Oh,” Martha said, a little baffled but calm. “Well, Clark explained. Don’t worry. Come on in.”

Kal swallowed and walked forward, nervous and uncertain but hopeful and relieved.

Jonathan's eyebrows rose especially high as his aura came within range, but Martha's expression softened.

"So when should we expect Lois?" Jonathan asked Clark as they entered the living room, trying to play things cool.

"Superman will bring her before dinner," Clark said.

"Right after he's brought Clark, I take it?" Martha asked, raising an eyebrow. "You know, I really wish you wouldn't talk about yourself in the third person."

Amusement twinged with solemness bled through Kal's aura.

"My mom complains about the same thing," Kal said.

"Wise woman," Jonathon commented.

Martha rolled her eyes and bumped her husband at his attempt to win points before looking more seriously at Kal.

"You must miss them, but you'll get home. You'll find a way. In the meantime, you're welcome here, any time. You saved our son. Sure, you didn't technically save his life, but you might as well have," Martha said earnestly, reaching out and clasping his arm.

"Thanks," he breathed, his gratitude plain in his voice.

O o O o O

Clark glanced over at Kal as they looked out from the front porch and to the snow covered fields. Martha and Jonathan were inside, insisting they needed no help with lunch.

"It's just like home," Kal said before frowning. "And yet it's not."

"Does it feel different? I mean, with your aura?" Clark asked, unable to help himself.

Kal closed his eye and Clark could feel Kal's essence shift, extending beyond the immediate area around them.

"Yes," he said quietly, almost reverently. "I can't really explain it, but it's different. Almost like a faint hue of color being swapped out for another in the backdrop of a painting. You probably wouldn't notice unless you were looking closely," he said before looking at him again.

Clark nodded thoughtfully.

"Clark, when did you find your globe?" Kal asked.

"Uh. Last year, why?" he asked.

"Were there messages in yours?" he asked.

"Yeah, my father showed me what had happened before he and my mother sent me to Earth. That's the same as yours, right?" Clark asked.

Kal immediately faced him. "You didn't get one from your mother?" he asked, taken aback.

Clark frowned. "Uh, no. I didn't."

"Could I see your orb? I think there might be another message for you," Kal said.

Clark's eyes widened. "You mean . . .?"

"She sent me a personalized message. There's no guarantee she did the same here, but I think we should check. I imagine you didn't remove a crystal from the orb either?"

Clark blinked, trying but failing not to feel overwhelmed.

"Follow me," Clark said, before they shot off to his tree house. His Fortress of Solitude.

It was just over an hour later when they returned to the house, globe clasped in Clark's hands.

"I'll leave you three alone. And if I'm still here for when you're ready, I'll watch over the world as you take in what the crystal has to teach you," Kal said.

Clark nodded in wordless gratitude. Truly, there were no words.

O o O o O

Lois looked at the time. Clark had told her Superman would be taking her to Smallville after dropping him off around 6. She had been sort of surprised Superman would take time to do that, but then she supposed since Kal was staying over at Clark's at least part of the time, and Clark was friends with Superman, it made sense. It definitely made sense to fly instead of spend time driving. And she also supposed Kal could fly them back when they needed to return for work if Superman was busy.

It was so strange. After the whole mess with her almost marriage to Luthor, she had learned she hadn't really known Superman, but after talking with Kal, who was astoundingly forthright and open, considering everything, she felt . . . well, she felt she understood Superman more than she had thought, although now it was . . . in a different way.

His rejection of her that night certainly made more sense, to her deep shame, but Kal's words to her reiterated something she had already known, at least subconsciously, but hadn't seriously dwelt on.

Superman had feelings, had a life and desire to be happy, just like everyone else.

He could find love.

Kal clearly had.

Some woman on his world.

Would Superman find her here? Would he love her as much as Kal loved his wife?

She stilled and couldn't help but smile as she thought back to Kal's declaration that the Clarks of both worlds were lucky men. It also made her wonder if her counterpart knew Kal and his wife. Were they friends? Did they hang out at all, perhaps even double date?

She heard a tap on her window.

She hurried over with her suitcase in hand and purse over her shoulder, ready to go.

"Hi, Superman!" she greeted as he stepped in.

"Hi, Lois," he said happily. "Have everything?"

"Yup, just me and what I have," she said, lifting the somewhat hefty suitcase.

"Okay, I'll take this first and be right back," he said, relieving her of the suitcase with a smile before promptly disappearing.

Thirty or so seconds later, he reappeared.

"Alright. Next stop, Smallville. ETA, fifteen minutes," Superman cheerfully declared, holding out his hand.

She chuckled and took his hand. "First class, too," she added.

"Of course," he said as he brought her close.

A moment later, they were in the air and beyond sight from those on the ground.

She enjoyed the view as her mind strayed, recalling her flight with Kal.

They flew differently, she noted, before suddenly realizing there was something else. Something she had never felt before.

“What is it?” Superman asked.

She blinked and looked at him. “Huh?”

“You look as if you’re deep in thought or something. Is everything alright?” he asked.

“Yeah, I just . . . I, uh, I flew with Kal a few days ago and he told me about his aura. Anyway, I just noticed something,” she said, though she grew uncertain at the end.

“Oh? What is it?”

“It’s hard to explain but . . . you feel different from him. I mean, when flying, there’s a difference, and I don’t know if it's just because I know now about you having an aura, but I think – I mean, you both have auras, it’s how you’re invulnerable and stuff, so . . . I’m sorry, I don’t know what I’m saying.” She blushed a bit, wondering if she sounded as stupid as she thought she did.

“Are you trying to tell me you can feel my aura?” he asked, surprised.

“I . . . think so?” she said.

“Oh. Well, he’s been teaching me to extend it a bit. Mine is nowhere near as flexible as his, but I figured with how cold it is, trying to cover you a bit wouldn’t hurt. Do you want me to stop?” he asked, uncharacteristically nervous.

She blinked, realizing yet another thing.

She wasn’t cold. It was freezing out but she was completely comfortable. The air felt on par with her apartment’s!

“Lois?” he asked, growing concerned.

“Oh! I’m sorry. I was just surprised when I realized that I can’t feel the cold air. I guess your aura is doing that?”

Superman’s eyes widened. “I, uh, guess so.”

“Is Kal teaching you anything else?” she asked curiously.

“He’s begun teaching me telepathy, which will also be quite handy in rescues,” Superman explained. “Apparently, he thinks to first responders during rescues on his world. They can’t think back, but usually that’s not an issue because he can hear them if they talk.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah, he’s been . . . he’s shown me a lot,” Superman admitted, and there was immense weight to his words.

“I can only imagine how strange all of this has been for you,” Lois said suddenly. “I mean, it’s strange for me and Clark, but for you–! It must be . . . well, it must be something.”

“It certainly is,” he agreed.

“He, uh, told me he has a wife,” Lois shared.

She felt his grip tighten a little.

“Yes,” he said, suddenly looking a little wistful.

“Did he tell you . . . ?” she inquired, but unable to complete her question as he raised an eyebrow at her. “Oh, come on! I can’t not be curious!”

He shook his head, amused, before she went on.

“Are you . . . ?” She snapped her mouth shut. As curious as she was, she wasn’t sure if that might be too far, especially when his lighthearted expression instantly went neutral.

She mentally kicked herself when they continued to fly in silence for about a minute.

“I hope to, one day,” he whispered.

She held her breath. When he didn’t continue, she felt she had to say something.

"Well, whoever she is, she's a lucky woman," she stated.

Superman smiled sadly. "She doesn’t know I'm Superman," he confessed.

The admission rocked her. Of course she had secretly suspected he had a secret identity, but for him to essentially admit it?!

"Oh. . . ." What could she say? "Why not?"

Superman winced. "It's . . . complicated, but I'm . . . I'm going to tell her by the end of this week," he promised.

He was flying really slow now, not that she minded.

"That's good. Did Kal tell you to?"

She really needed to stop asking such personal questions, but how could she stop when he kept answering?!

"Not quite. Recent events did," he said softly. "No one knows the future."

"I completely get that," Lois agreed. "I, uh . . . recently realized how important. . . ." She took a deep breath and forced herself to keep her composure as the reality of what had almost happened settled upon her. "I had almost lost Clark. I had taken so many things for granted. If it hadn't been for Kal, he– and I would never have been able to . . . " Lois whispered. "Well, I guess we both have things to tell the people we love this week."

Superman abruptly stopped in midair.

"Superman?" she asked, staring at him.

He looked very surprised, but there was also an undercurrent of other emotions in his eyes she couldn't identify.

And then he smiled and began flying again.

"He loves you too," he said softly. "He's loved you for a long time."

Lois gasped.

"I think it's important you know that. Clark hasn't always made the best decisions, especially in how he's handled his . . . feelings, but I think he's ready now. Especially after recent events. I think he's a lucky man."

Superman swallowed, as if he was nervous, and Lois realized they began to lose altitude. She looked down and saw the Kent Farm. Before she knew it, they landed behind the farmhouse.

"Thanks, Superman."

"No problem, Lois," he said, his boots crunching the light snow as he stepped back.

"And good luck," she said, before clarifying, "For when you tell her your secret. I hope it . . . all goes well."

Superman took a deep breath before he smiled tenderly at her. "Thank you. Me too. And actually, I'm going to go . . . tell her now, I think."

His gaze panned behind her for a moment before refocusing on her. "Uh, you can find Clark in the barn. Kal is with the Kents in the kitchen."

Lois grinned, already deciding her path as she nodded her thanks. And then she turned and he shot up into the sky, each with a goal in mind.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 04/24/23 09:28 PM.