[Chapter 4: Conclusions]

Fred Plas, the Chief Medical Director of the UN, looked at the time as a few more people entered the meeting chamber.

After roughly a year, the International System of Medical Data, ISMD for short, was fully online, thanks to the Superman Foundation and the efforts of hundreds of people from varying professions around the world. The program would allow doctors and researchers to more easily identify the best treatment plans for patients and help treatments improve as well as pinpoint areas of patient care needing attention. It did require hospital engagement, but with the funds from the Foundation, hiring a few devoted individuals to maintain the flow of non-personal information from each region into the system was achievable. Transparency and the checks-and-balances built into the system also ensured reliability of the data. Everyone wanted the system to help save and improve lives, and the personal pride that existed in participating in the project could not be overstated. Plas knew such a thing was historic in itself, and he was humbled to be the one to oversee it.

Already, pain medication doses for children were being reevaluated upon learning a hospital in Uruguay was having success without detriment when lowering the dose to help stretch their supply during a medication shortage.

Certainly a silver lining in a difficult situation.

Which brought attention to something else the ISMD could help do: bring attention to shortages and medical needs.

Plas could already see an avenue for more effectively helping impoverished countries, and it made him hopeful for the future. Oftentimes, when basic medical needs are met in a region, the people there are able to shift their attention to other things, like education, which brings forth a plethora of other beneficial opportunities.

A happy domino effect.

But that was not what was going to be discussed today.

No, this meeting would update the UN committee overseeing the program and discuss a proposal recently sent by the Foundation.

In the proposal, Superman asked for assistance in possibly creating a way for him to help hospitals more directly - specifically in healing young, critical patients.

A few people shifted eagerly in their seats as they glanced up at the clock overhead.

He should arriv–

They all heard a sonic boom, and a moment later, Superman stepped into the room.

Everyone tried to look relaxed, but they were all stoked and few could help from staring as the great red cape swished behind him.

“Thank you for coming, Superman,” Plas said as the Man of Steel took a seat across from him.

Plas tried not to focus too much on the blue eyepatch.

“Happy to be here,” Superman said amiably.

With that, they sped through the previous meeting’s minutes and standard protocols before quickly getting to what they all wanted to discuss.

“We all read your proposal, Superman, and have already approved it and begun work on organizing what will be needed,” Plas said, retrieving a stack of papers one of his assistants had gathered. “We agree your idea should be approached carefully and thoroughly, which is why we’d like you to look over these,” he said, sliding over the papers. “They’re study proposals.”

Superman smiled and picked them up before speed reading through them all in less than ten seconds. There were some awed gasps and a few chuckles before he lowered the pages and looked at them with his good eye.

“Thanks. I think the third study would be best to do first, although we could probably do the first study alongside it. From the few severe burns I’ve healed, I’d like to confirm there’s no negative long term side effects before I begin trying to heal other things more often,” he said. “I also understand that this opens up an ethical conundrum. While I would like to heal everyone, I am limited in several ways, as well as by time. Whatever system we come up with, it needs to be as fair as possible, but practical."

Plas nodded in agreement and understanding.

“We’ll bring this up in the next UN meeting and begin sending out invitations for hospitals to participate. I doubt it will take us long to create a plan for us to reach the number needed to conduct a meaningful study, although if the studies pass a risk-benefit analysis, creating a fair but practical plan of approach for any next steps will be a little harder," Plas said.

Superman nodded. "I'm not even sure how often I would be able to heal if it went that far, but I think it's important to verify that I'm not causing anything negative at least. Even though my doctor and I have examined things and are pretty confident there's no harm being done, now or down the line, I want a third party to take an indepth look. My biggest concern is that I'm healing someone today, but giving them cancer or something they'll have to deal with later in life. Again, I really don't think it's causing any harm, but I'd like to be sure. Other than my physical limits, that’s why I only heal in instances where the immediate benefits far outweigh any future potential risks," he said.

"So there has been no indications there could be negative side effects?" a doctor at the end of the table asked.

"No, though those I've substantially healed are now more sensitive to me in general, similar to those who have been around my aura for an extended period," Superman answered. "Admittedly, that might not always be good, considering the events of the past year, but that aspect might also be temporary. We don't know, which is another reason why I want to pursue this. I know many people are curious and even concerned about my aura, so I want to get answers – for them and myself."

Plas and many others nodded, all of them agreeing this was important.

"We'll get started on this and let you know when we're ready for the next step," Plas promised. "I think it'll be best to expect something from us within four weeks."

"Thank you," Superman said.

O o O o O

Time sped along for Lois and Clark as life settled into a stable rhythm. Cases of missing persons came, and Clark solved them with his typical diligence as Lois conducted investigations and wrote front page articles for the Daily Planet. Dr. Klein continued the work on the crystals as well as the fertility issue but unfortunately the second was especially slow going since analysis of Kryptonian DNA was harder than any of them had anticipated.

Dr. Klein was hopeful they would have a few answers by the end of summer, if not sooner, but the fertility answer itself would take a bit longer. However, information they would get from mapping Kal’s genome would be worth the time, and other potential issues would more likely be caught than the quick and easy methods.

So as work continued on multiple fronts, spring came before they knew it, and a long-awaited message finally arrived.

“It just started lighting up about ten minutes ago,” Dr. Klein said as Kal entered the lab.

“Julie is notifying the UN,” Mav stated, glancing down at the odd contraption on the table that was now pulsing a soft yellow light.

It was a crystal box with inlays of gemlike buttons. Kal waved his hand over it and the gems morphed into kryptonian script. He pressed two characters and instantly a projection of two life-sized forms they recognized materialized before them.

"Greetings, Lord Kal-El and people of Earth. Lord Ching and I have some news to tell you, but first, to reply to your message dated August 22nd, 1997," Lady Zara said. "We are relieved to hear you bested the assassin we know as Tez. He is yet another aspect of Nor's ruthlessness and corrupt nature that has been snuffed out; however, I fear Tez was not the only hostile Nor sent to harm you. I pray you remain vigilant and that this message finds you well.”

Zara shifted her stance and forced her worry aside before looking to Lord Ching.

"Assuming you are well, Lord Kal-El, you will be pleased to know Nor's coup attempt was thwarted and his forces have been completely defeated. It was not without cost, but Nor himself is now dead," Ching stated. "The people of New Krypton are in the process of rebuilding, and the next generation will ensure your words echo forever," Ching said before stepping closer to Zara and placing his hand on her stomach. "And that includes our child."

They smiled brightly.

"Peace be upon you and yours, Keeper of Earth," Ching said with a bow.

The message closed with some symbols that seemed to indicate a date as Kal and the others took in what they had just learned.

After a moment of relative silence, Klein spoke. "I'm so glad Nor is no longer a problem.”

Kal nodded, visibly relieved. "Yes, especially since they now have a child."

“So, assuming communication keeps with the same lag time of seven months, their next message will likely be seven weeks from now in response to your last message?” Klein asked.

Kal nodded. “Depending on the trajectory of their current orbit and a few other things, yes,” he said, before tilting his head, listening. "Well, I'll go ahead and share this message with the UN since it sounds like they’re ready for me now. Also, before I forget, go ahead and approve the request for that interview."

"Alright. Any preferred time?" Mav asked.

"Sometime after mid-May I think. Thanks," he said, before disappearing with the crystal cube.

O o O o O

Lois looked up as Perry exited his office.

“Lois, do you have that article on city management done?” he asked.

“Just submitted it, Perry,” she said.

“Then get out of here! And tell that husband of yours to treat you to a nice dinner!” he ordered.

She laughed. “Okay, okay,” she said, getting up.

It was her wedding anniversary and Perry, the old romantic, had been appalled she had come in for work, half day or not.

Perry had asked if Clark had gone in for work. She grudgingly admitted that he hadn’t, even though technically he had been reviewing some things at the Foundation that morning – though he had only done that because he knew she was going in for work.

But the story was pretty much the aftermath of her investigation into the corruption of city construction, and she wasn't about to hand that over to Ralph!

Thankfully, Clark fully understood. It only took him briefly talking to Ralph once for him to understand her distaste for the man. As soon as she had told him why she wanted to go in for work, he urged her out the door. Granted, she had the strangest feeling he had wanted her out of the house more than wanting to ensure she prevented Ralph from benefiting from her story. . . .

She suddenly wanted to be home very badly and started her car.

She couldn’t believe they had been married for a year already. Time itself felt so sporadic, sometimes making her question what day it really was.

So much had happened and continued to happen, but they were handling it well, and it wasn’t all bad. Most of it was good now, and the world itself seemed to be breathing a sigh of relief with them as things continued to settle and move forward. There were so many things to be grateful for.

Their nightmares continued to diminish, although it was likely they would have to contend with the occasional nightmare for the foreseeable future – if not for the rest of their lives.

Still, Dr. Wilson was a Godsend – for Clark and for her. The advice he gave while being an extra ear for Kal provided another layer of grounding.

Which reminded her, Superman had an interview later that month.

Dr. Wilson encouraged Kal to remain as transparent and open with the public as he safely could, as it was clear his relationship with humanity in general was a vital cornerstone to his mental health. Maintaining open dialogue had already paid dividends and Wilson agreed that nurturing it would continue to provide benefits to himself and Earth.

Lois loved to see how the nations rallied around Kal, and she did feel that, because he was so upfront and open, the press overall was kinder - for lack of a better word. Granted, that was also likely due to the fallout that they had seen firsthand if they didn't conduct themselves appropriately.

For good or ill, the media conducted themselves according to the standards the population held them to, and that only occurred if the people were engaged and cared enough to speak up.

And Kal made them care because it was clear he cared and was thoroughly engaged himself.

With that thought shifting into wondering what exactly they would be engaged in that night, she eagerly drove up their driveway and parked.

"I'm home!" she called, entering.

She closed the door behind her and smiled knowingly as Clark stepped out of the kitchen and into the living room.

He grinned.

"Ready to go?"

"Should I change?" she asked, wondering what he had planned.

"Well . . . I got us a night in Phuket, Thailand," he said. “Our bags are already there.”

“Thailand?!” she gasped, thrilled as much as stunned.

She had expected a surprise, but this was much more than a dinner at a fancy restaurant!

“You said you wanted to try some real Thai,” he said, feigning offense.

She laughed, his aura surging around her and making her feel as if she was already in his arms and hovering. And then he blurred and appeared directly in front of her in his uniform.

“I love you,” she whispered, putting her hands on his shielded chest.

“I love you too,” he replied, before they vanished together to enjoy their anniversary.

O o O o O

"Wow, Mom, you really did go all out," Clark said, blinking at the table fully covered in pies and cakes.

"I do this every year, Clark, and you're always surprised," Martha said, somewhat exasperated.

"You always make more than last year, Mom," he stated.

"He's right, Martha. You always break your previous record," Jonathan said, amused.

"Well, I guess you're right. But it's for a great fundraiser," she said.

"No one's arguing that," Jonathan assured as Lois helped him straighten the table cloth.

Lois and Clark were visiting Smallville that weekend, helping Martha set up her portion for the town's summer festival that would also contribute to the yearly fundraiser for the local food bank. Unfortunately, Clark wouldn’t be able to stay for the activities, but he was happy to do what he could.

“Well, I should head out. Mav said the film crew would arrive around 3 and I need to meet with a source and talk with Bill before then,” Clark said.

“Okay. Good luck,” Lois said, kissing his cheek and giving his arm a squeeze.

“We look forward to watching the interview when it’s released,” Martha said.

“That should be in about a week, right?” Jonathan asked.

“Most likely,” Clark said. “That’s about how long it took last time, though this time they’ll likely have more editing to do, since they'll also get a tour of the Foundation.”

Jonathan nodded, and Clark knew he likely would never get used to that aspect of his life as Kal.

“I imagine Mrs. Waters will want to ask you about a lot of things,” Jonathan said.

“Especially about the second message from New Krypton,” Martha added.

Dr. Klein's estimate of seven weeks had been pretty close, and Zara and Ching's response to learning about the Parasites was as one would expect.

“I'd be surprised if she didn’t,” Clark agreed. “Okay, see you tonight.”

A moment later, he was on his way to Metropolis.

O o O o O

After receiving a brief but amazing tour of the Foundation from Mav Ervin, Patricia Waters followed Superman onto the third floor and to where the interview would take place. Her film crew had already arranged things in the sitting area at the end of the hall and she could tell they were just as eager as she was to begin.

Her eyes automatically scanned the room, understandably very curious about the area where Superman spent at least some of his down time.

Just off a mini-kitchen, there was a couch, a coffee table and some chairs. There were also shelves on the side wall with well-read books, exotic plants and an odd lamp in the corner.

The space had a nice, simple arrangement that provided a rather homey atmosphere for an interview. It was even more relaxed than the pair of interviews she had had with him over two years prior.

Superman sat down on the couch and she moved to the chair on the other side of the table between them.

"Ready?" she asked, though she knew he was. They had covered everything in preparation before going up from the second floor.

"I am," he said with a calm smile.

She returned it before nodding to the camera man.

"And . . . rolling," he said with a thumbs up.

"Thank you for welcoming us into your home away from home, Superman, and for allowing me the privilege of interviewing you again."

"The pleasure is mine," Superman said, his smile reaching his good eye while his left cheek pinned his eyepatch a bit more securely.

"A great deal has happened since we last spoke," she said, trying not to let her eyes focus too much on his eyepatch.

Superman laughed. "Yes, a lot has."

"I'll admit, preparing for this interview was a challenge, simply because I wasn't sure what to cover first. But I think recent events solved that for me," Waters said.

"Eight weeks ago, the world received a message from New Krypton, replying to your handling of the assassin they called Tez," she said, providing information to the audience in case they didn't already know (though they did). "And a second message arrived just earlier this week, again from Lady Zara and Lord Ching. In that message, they were clearly alarmed to hear what had happened to you, but relieved to learn Ta'peel and Rimma were defeated."

Superman nodded. "I can replay the message here if you wish," he offered.

"Oh, that would be wonderful!" she said, surprised, not having expected that.

She had planned on having the studio edit in the clip to show the audience again, but capturing it firsthand was even better.

"One moment," he said, before vanishing in a blur.

Two seconds later, he was back and seated again, but there was now a yellow cube contraption on the table between them.

She blinked in amazement.

"Ready?" he asked, placing his hand on the cube.

She nodded after seeing a thumbs up from the cameraman.

Superman pressed a few things and then the box flared to life, projecting two forms most people in the world now recognized: Lady Zara (still with child) and Lord Ching, the rulers of New Krypton.

"Lord Kal-El and people of Earth, it is with immeasurable relief that we reply to your previous message dated October 12th, 1997, coupled with sorrow for your injury and the harm caused by the two you fittingly call 'Parasites'," Zara said.

"After your message, we gathered what we could about their species and managed to learn some startling things about the one named 'Ta'peel'. Ta'peel was of a long dissolved, ancient sect of biologically enhanced assassins. He was well over a thousand years old, and was responsible for the deaths of countless leaders, families, and people groups across several galaxies. From what we pieced together from our own records, which spans hundreds of years of inter- and exter-galactic communications and history, in certain sectors, a 'flee-on-sight' order had been given and, in most, his name is synonymous with death and despair. For this reason, attempts to track his location were made by many worlds, however limited, and so, be aware that news of his and his son's end will likely spread. Great relief and closure will come to hundreds of worlds, Kal-El."

Ching straightened. "If they are not already, your name and the name of Earth will be uttered in deep respect and praise across the cosmos in the coming years and I dare say millenia. You have sent waves into the larger universe. Even if certain entities have not intercepted Nor's previous communications, you will become known for this. It is inevitable. I advise you: embrace it.

"Peace be upon you and yours, Keeper of Earth," Ching said with a bow.

The message faded and Waters shifted a bit.

“Thank you again for replaying that for us,” she said.

“You’re welcome,” he said.

“We have a lot to cover, so I won’t focus too much on the message, but I think everyone wants to first know what it means to ‘be known’? Should we be . . . concerned? And second, why did Lord Ching feel we should ‘embrace it’?” Waters asked curiously.

“Reasonable questions,” Superman said, nodding thoughtfully. “Before, Earth was viewed as a life sustaining planet, inhabited by a budding civilization that had potential but was young and viewed as primitive. The galaxy is a big place, with the universe of course even bigger, but a world with a non-space faring people can sometimes be . . . targets," he said carefully.

"'Targets?' Like, for conquerors?" she asked.

"Yes. But now we have not only proven capable of defending ourselves, we now will have the gratitude and respect of at least a few dozen worlds. That matters," Superman explained.

"That is comforting and quite humbling to hear," she said, doing her best not to show her shock.

"It is," Superman agreed. “Now, because the universe is so large, travel between life-sustaining planets typically takes a long time and requires enormous resources, but as proven multiple times – my arrival included – Earth is reachable. Understanding that and our new position in the universe is important to keep in mind for the future,” he said, clasping his hands together. “Which is also why Lord Ching advised us to ‘embrace it’.”

“You seem almost . . . hesitant to say that though. Why?” she asked, picking up on his . . . nervousness?

“It’s clear that Ta’peel had been an almost mythical being of wrath and evil to many worlds, and he deserved that sentiment completely. I’ve seen evil, but he was the full embodiment of it. When he–” He stopped and took a deep breath, failing to suppress a shiver.

He closed his eye and turned away for a moment, exhaling heavily.

“Are you okay?” Waters asked, concerned.

He nodded and turned back, his eye open again.

“Yeah. It’s just a horrible memory,” he said before pressing on. “Anyway, while I’m certain Ching is correct, it’s just something that is hard for me to completely grasp: being known for a deed, especially that deed, beyond our galaxy. For ending a life that negatively impacted so many lives, likely trillions over the centuries. . . . It’s a lot to process, I suppose you could say.”

“I see what you’re saying, but I’ll let the viewers ponder that and ask you, is there a version of the United Nations in the stars?”

“Not that I know of. Creating and maintaining any real alliances or treaties would be exceedingly challenging simply due to the lag in communications and the resources required to maintain consistent relations. Life sustaining planets are rare enough, but having more than one within the same area of space is truly miraculous,” he explained.

“Oh, that makes sense,” she said. “Well, returning back to matters closer to home, this year will mark the fifth anniversary of the creation of your Foundation, along with Ms. Lane's discovery of you. Are you planning anything special to commemorate either?"

"I know Mav and Julie are arranging something for the Foundation, but I don't have anything specifically planned. My mom is going to be making me a pie though!" he said, quickly adding the last bit.

Waters laughed. "I imagine your mom is a great cook."

"She is," he said, grinning, as she glanced at the blue eyepatch.

"You appear to have adjusted to . . . the eyepatch well," she said, continuing to keep things moving.

"Yes. It's actually been a little easier than I had expected, to be honest, though that's no doubt due to having a wide range of support," he answered.

"And some of that support includes professional therapy, correct?" she gently inquired.

Superman gave an amused smile.

"Yes, and before you ask, yes, sometimes I do float above my therapist's couch when we talk," he said.

Waters laughed. "It amazes me how relaxed you are on topics that are normally avoided by most. It's quite refreshing."

"Thank you. Though I'm still confused about why important things are not discussed more. Like mental health. To put it simply, mental health is more important than physical health, because without a healthy mind, the body's potential is harmed. Or at least that's what I believe."

“I think if the UN had known your feelings on the matter, their inquiry wouldn't have read so hesitant,” she said thoughtfully. "Did you know that there were people upset at the UN for doing that?"

Superman blinked. "What? No, I didn't know that. Why were they upset?"

"Right or wrong, I think they felt offended for you. Perhaps they felt it wasn't the UN's business or that the UN shouldn't have inquired so publically."

Superman's good eye widened, both confused, touched, and surprised. Finally, he hummed thoughtfully. "Well, as much as I'm sure their hearts were in the right place, I hope they understand now there's no reason to be offended. I had experienced a pretty traumatic event, well, multiple events really. The UN asking if I was addressing that made sense, and really, technically they were also maintaining their end of the treaty."

Waters paused. "They were?"

"They must inform me of any valid concerns the public has about my person,” he said with a shrug. “Of course, the wording is open to interpretation, and they went a step further by inquiring more directly, which I’m perfectly fine with.”

"Well, I think everyone was, and admittedly still is, both curious and concerned about what had happened to you. Would you mind sharing how you’re doing now?" she asked.

"I’m sleeping a lot better, first off,” he said, once again surprising Waters with his honesty.

“So . . . you were having nightmares?” she asked, and she couldn’t help but feel astonished.

“I still am, but not as often. Not nearly as often. And now that I’ve worked through what I had felt and experienced, when they do happen, I recover quicker, and I’ve begun to wake myself up before they get intense.”

“So you’re proof therapy works,” she said, not quite sure what else to say.

“Therapy isn’t easy, and for me, it’s . . . it was a little strange in the beginning. I’m used to doing something. Something tangible, physically tangible. Sitting on a couch – occasionally floating or lying down – and just talking for extended periods was a little, well, weird.

"Of course, I’ve spoken with my parents and some of my friends about hard things in the past, but never to this level. Before, I would talk a little, and then act on what was discussed. There wasn't as much need to process or dig into the problem because it was something I was mostly already familiar with. I already had most of the answer, I just needed emotional support and perspective from my family and friends. But with what had happened with the Parasites, that was completely new. What was more, my loved ones couldn't really provide the outside perspective I typically got from them to help me because they were traumatized over what had happened themselves."

"Oh my. How are they now?"

"Much better. We've been applying what I've learned from my therapist, and it's helped tremendously."

"'Applying'?" she asked.

"Coping strategies, processing skills, that sort of thing."

"Oh."

"What?" he asked.

"It's just . . . a little surreal to learn these things about you. It makes me realize you're more like us than I had ever thought. Next thing you'll tell us is that you're settling down and seeing someone."

Superman pursed his lips and gave a shy smile.

"What?!" Waters gasped. "You are?! Are you serious?"

"Well, I am seeing someone, and it's . . . pretty serious," he hedged.

"Oh my goodness! Congratulations!" she exclaimed, thrilled for him.

He blushed. "Thanks. She's wonderful."

Waters hesitated, wanting to know more but knowing Superman, while astonishingly open, was quite protective of those close to him, and rightly so.

“I know you’re curious and not sure if you should ask more. I appreciate the interest — as I can tell it’s with genuine excitement and joy — but you’re right that asking more would . . . be . . . well, I wouldn’t be able to answer. At least not right now. Maybe in a few years," he said apologetically.

She smiled, relaxing. "I understand. So, are there any other life changes you can share?" she teased.

Superman laughed. "Not really. Not anything that’s not already public knowledge anyway."

"Nothing?" she asked, feigning disappointment, before repositioning. "Well, this next question concerns something very serious, and part of me would prefer not to ask, but not asking after everything else we've discussed. . . ."

He motioned to go ahead, and she felt he already knew the topic.

"Kryptonite. The UN recently disclosed you had revealed that it's dangerous to Kryptonians long before Nor's assassins arrived, so that Earth would have a means to defend itself against hostile Kryptonians. And while most of the focus has been on the astounding trust you gave Earth in that act, could you explain what kryptonite actually is?" she asked.

"Kryptonite are fragments of Krypton that were caught up in my vessel's wake the day Krypton exploded. The explosion and following heat from entering Earth's atmosphere altered the fragments' molecular structure, making them faintly radioactive."

"And that radiation is dangerous?" she asked.

"To Kryptonians or beings that take on our cell structure. To humans, it's only dangerous after long term exposure, on par with the sun," he said.

"Why is that?" she asked.

"My cells absorb radiation from the sun; it's where I get my powers. However, the radiation from kryptonite, specifically green kryptonite, damages my cells when it's absorbed. You can sort of compare it to an electric motor taking on too much current. My cells burn out because they can't properly process the radiation from green kryptonite," Superman explained.

"'Green kryptonite'. So are there different types?" she asked, picking up on that detail.

"I required special treatment to recover from the injuries inflicted by Ta'peel, and that involved being exposed to red kryptonite. My doctor had been running tests to understand the effects of kryptonite before Ta’peel and had learned that while green damages my cells, red makes them . . . hyperactive. Fortunately, my doctor recognized how we could use that, and that allowed me to heal far more than I would have without it."

Waters' eyes widened. "So red kryptonite makes you stronger?"

"It's a bit more complicated than that. My doctor compared it to a steroid or adrenaline shot, which does seem like an accurate assessment. While I'm glad it helped me recover, it left me jittery for hours after."

"You make it sound like a medication," she commented.

"I guess to me it is. I understand steroids can cause humans to be jittery?"

"Yes," she said as she saw the cameraman subtly tap on his wrist. "Well, unfortunately, we’re running short on time, so just a few more questions. I understand something is moving forward with the International System of Medical Data, or ISMD? A study?"

"Yes. A few, actually. Fred Plas, the Chief Medical Director of the UN, is overseeing them. As soon as they're ready to begin the studies, they'll let the Foundation know," Superman explained.

“And this may eventually lead you to healing in hospitals sometimes, correct?” she asked.

“That’s the hope,” he said with a nod.

“What sort of things will you be able to help with?” she asked.

“Until we understand more of how it works, once given the okay, I'll focus on helping with healing burns and other severe physical injuries on children, life-threatening and/or life-altering."

"You seem more confident in your capabilities."

"Since recovering from Ta'peel and Rimma, my aura has become far more versatile and resilient. So while I'm not happy Ta'peel and Rimma came to Earth, some good did come from the experience."

"A silver lining," she agreed, before looking thoughtful. "I noticed you haven't extended your aura, even though it's said you relax it here at the Foundation. Why is that?"

"I'm a little surprised that wasn't the first thing you asked," he said lightly before answering. "I felt it would have been too distracting for the interview. I can relax it now, if you wish."

"I'll admit, I'm really curious about it," she said eagerly.

He smiled and relaxed his posture.

She gasped despite her attempt to remain cool and collected as she felt his calm confidence extend out. The camera crew behind her gasped as well, feeling his gentle presence brush over and beyond them.

"So this is you relaxed?" she asked, amazed.

"Pretty much."

"This is more than the seven feet you had mentioned at the children's hospital last year. Are you reaching out with it for our benefit like you had then?" she asked.

"I've restrained it for a while, so right now the 'relaxed' distance goes further than normal. In a few minutes, it'll naturally pull back to about seven feet."

"Is that uncomfortable? Holding it back, I mean?" she asked, suddenly concerned.

"I've never restrained it long enough for it to become uncomfortable," he said, unconcerned.

Waters was about to inquire further when Superman suddenly tilted his head and his gaze drifted, unfocused, to the right. A feeling of abrupt concern surged from his aura before it snapped back to himself, startling them further. His form then vanished and a sonic boom echoed over the building.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 04/11/23 08:02 PM.