Here's the link to Part 40, which went up earlier today.

Part 41
Everything about this business with the Metropolis Star had Clark slightly on edge.  He didn't like how conveniently they were getting their stories; he didn't like Linda's advances, and he especially didn't like keeping Lois in the dark about Perry's plan.  The sudden knock at the door was like ice-water over his jangled nerves, and he hurried to usher his boss—well, "former" boss—into the closet before facing what would undoubtedly be the wrath of Mad Dog Lane.

It took him a moment to process Michel's smiling face.  

"How have you been, Brother?  It has been a while, no?  Was your Valentine's day as good as mine, or did your Superman activities keep you too busy?"  His twin flashed him a rakish grin.

"Michel?!" Clark glanced at the closet, wondering if Perry could understand Michel's French.  "Uh, this really isn't a good time—"

His brother gave an understanding nod while plowing on.  "Ah.  Well, I shall be brief: I was thinking we should explore the field where your rocket landed, sometime soon, and see if we can find any new forms of Kryptonite!"

Clark's attention ping-ponged from the closet to Michel.  "What?!"

His brother stepped further into the room.  "You see, Susanne and I were looking over the data from the Nightfall samples you helped me bring back, and we just discovered some fascinating exotic particles!  Apparently, the explosion of our home planet—"

"—Michel!" Clark quickly interrupted.  "I have company!"

"Ah!"  His brother's mouth finally snapped shut.  After a moment, he squinted into Clark's apartment, frowning.  "Er, Clark?  Why is there a man in your closet?"

"Because I thought you were Lois!" Clark blurted out.

Michel's eyebrows shot into his hair. 

"I mean..."  Clark huffed in frustration and switched to English.  "Chief, you can come out; it's not her!"

A few seconds passed before the closet door opened and Perry tentatively stepped out.  Michel looked to Clark in confusion. 

Clark let out a sigh.  "Michel, this is Perry White, my editor at the Planet.  Perry, this is Michel Renaud, my...um...twin brother."

Perry's eyebrows raised in surprise.  "Great shades of Elvis!"

Michel gave a tentative wave. "Er, hello!  Eh, by any chance, do you speak French?"  He let out a nervous laugh.

"Oh, uh, well, I tried to learn it back in high school, but it wasn't exactly my best subject," Perry replied with a good-natured chuckle.  "Heck, the last time I took Alice to a French restaurant, I ended up trying to order a bowl of Closed On Wednesdays!"

Michel laughed in amusement, but something about the answer rang false to Clark.  Hadn't Perry once mentioned travelling Europe for the global news beat before becoming editor...?  His thoughts were cut off by a shrill, high shriek from the still-open door.

"KENT! What is MY boss doing in YOUR apartment!?!"

Miss Lane stomped into the room, glaring at Clark and Mr. White.  The two men seemed...frightened? Guilty?  Michel tried to connect with Clark's mind to surreptitiously ask him what was going on, but he couldn't make enough sense of all the emotions wriggling through him.  

"...so we staged Clark's defection," Mr. White was saying when Michel finally gave up and resumed listening to the actual conversation. 

"You could have told me!" Miss Lane snapped, folding her arms across her chest.

"My idea," Mr. White admitted, looking somewhat sheepish.   "You seem to be personally involved here; I didn't want to risk it."

Miss Lane snorted.  "Well, that's just fine!  I only came by to ask Clark to get in touch with Dr. Renaud for me, but since he's here, you don't need to bother."

Michel jolted as her arm suddenly looped through his.  "Come on, Dr. Renaud—can I call you Michel?  While these two are playing Spy, we can discuss the recent development in that case involving Phillipe Boucher.  Have you ever been to Alphonso's?"

"Hey!" Clark protested as Miss Lane started walking towards the door, tugging Michel along with her. "What recent development?"

She turned back to Clark with an overly sweet smile.  "Oh, I'm sorry, but you're too... personally involved. I'm sure you understand."

TBC...

~•~