A/N:
Hoo-boy, this has been a while. I want to thank KSaraSara for all her help as beta, cheerleader, and overall extra brain. There's a bit of a buffer now, and I think there's enough to start posting again.

For everyone who needs to catch up with the story so far: the ToC is Here.

In summary, Clark has met a man who looks just like him, is the same age, and has the same powers. In the most recent chapters, they learned the full truth about why. So, if you're worried about spoilers, turn back now and go read the backlog; the chapters are short, which is why there are so many.

If you just need a refresher on where we last left off, Previous Chapter is Here.

Anyway, I hope yall enjoy, and sorry about the wait! Also, since this part is kind of hilariously short, I'll go ahead and post the next one too.

From Part 39:

He hung his head with a soft choke. "I only... It is difficult, do you know? My parents love me, but they insist on my pretending to be ordinary. I cannot ask them for help with developing my powers, as you can with yours. I cannot discuss with them the fascinating details of our birth-world. I do not even say how it feels to be a Kryptonian living on Earth, because what if they are alarmed, or disappointed, or insulted that their love is not enough? I have you, and I am so grateful, but—" His head dropped into his hands, muffling a sob. "Oh, Clark! I want my mother!"

Part 40:

The messages that followed over the next several days pieced together a story of doom and quiet desperation.  It was pretty clear the planet was dying; even so, when the final message showed Krypton shattering apart, Michel found himself gripping Clark's hand.  His brother said nothing, only giving his hand a squeeze as two experimental vessels were flung in the general direction of Earth.  No other ships followed. 

"So...that is the end," he whispered once the void of outer space had faded to white.  "We are alone here."

The vague shapes of Clark's living room gradually became clearer and more solid.  Michel expected a gentle reminder that Clark had warned him about the unlikeliness of their parents reuniting with them on Earth.  Instead, his twin stared at the inert globe on the coffee table with an unreadable expression.  "They didn't abandon us."

Michel blinked. "What?"

Clark shook his head and leaned back against the sofa, releasing Michel's hand in order to swipe at a suspicious glimmer in his eyes.  "It's just...something I always used to wonder about, growing up.  Why was I sent away?  Was I so unwanted that my parents had to use a rocket to get me far enough away from them?  I guess...I don't know; maybe it sounds silly now, but...as a kid..."

"It is not silly," Michel mumbled, looking away from his brother as a nearly-forgotten memory twinged in the back of his own mind.  "My mother always told me that anyone who would abandon me that way clearly did not deserve me, and that I should not waste a thought on them."

Clark nodded thoughtfully.  "Mine said I must have been sent here for a reason," he reflected.  

They both stared at the globe.   A part of Michel wanted to apologize to these remarkable people for doubting them, for completely forgetting them.  "They did not abandon us," he echoed.

"They loved us."  Clark picked the globe up reverently.  "They saved us."

"We were sent here to live," Michel whispered.

Clark stilled.  "Michel," he said after a while, "I think...I need to see my parents.  Do you want to come with me?"

It took Michel a moment to realize which parents Clark meant, and he quashed his embarrassment before his twin could notice.  "Of course!  It will be lovely to visit their farm again.  Of course."  

In fact, seeing his own parents suddenly seemed like a good idea, as well.  They would appreciate it, and they would certainly shower him with love and affection.  It was just a shame that he couldn't ever tell them what prompted his visit.

TBC...

~•~