It's Friday again. So let's have some magic. Thanks to Lynn S.M. for her beta.

This is the part you've all been waiting for. I hope it meets your expectations. But we're not done yet.

The Magic of Hugs

Clark wasn't sure whether inviting Lois into his RV had been the right call. She studied his home with a strange mixture of curiosity and barely concealed revulsion. He knew that the place was worn, though he kept it as clean and tidy as he could.

Her disapproval of his living quarters only added to his discomfort. Though, honestly, even if he were staying at the Ritz there wouldn't have been a way he could have felt at ease with the situation. He'd used his powers in front of a reporter. His secret was out.

Clark shifted from one foot to the other, and Lois mirrored his movement as if she, too, wasn't quite sure how to address the elephant in the room. Only Houdini seemed oblivious to the general tension. Or perhaps he'd just chosen to ignore it in favor of his belated dinner.

At least Clark's latest hiccup had been so intense that he still felt wiped out, particularly after his flight back. He'd be able to talk to Lois without losing control of his powers again. If only he knew where to start.

"So," he muttered.

He stuffed his hands even deeper into the pockets of his pants and stared at his feet.

"So," she echoed.

She twiddled a strand of hair around her fingers, suddenly became aware of it and brushed the lock behind her ear.

"Are you going to print it?" He managed, his voice hardly a whisper.

"That MagiKal's true name is Clark Kent?"

He closed his eyes, breathing through the rising nausea. Clark wasn't sure if some part of him had actually been hoping that she wouldn't have guessed the truth. It was a completely irrational wish. Still, having the whole disaster confirmed felt like a punch to the gut.

"Yeah," he ground out.

He felt silly as the strange tightness in his chest made him feel like he was about to suffocate. Surely a person who was able to hold his breath for a good twenty minutes had nothing to fear in an RV.

Her expression softened as she seemed to take in his mounting panic. She stepped closer, reaching out as if to offer comfort. But Clark just felt crowded. He pulled back, hitting the all-too-close wall behind him. Why, oh, why had he invited her in? There was nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. Which was a strange notion for someone who was probably the strongest being on this Planet.

For years he’d been longing for a connection with another person. All his life he’d dreamed that one day he’d meet that special someone to whom he could tell his secret, someone who wouldn’t be scared or put off or—He couldn’t even bring himself to think of what was going to happen now. He’d find out soon enough anyway.

She dropped her hand and shook her head. "I’m not going to publish that. Who you are underneath that costume is news for the gossip rags, not for me."

He sagged against the wall behind him. His voice was rough. “You’re not going to write about me?”

Clark held his breath, not quite able to believe that she was going to confirm it. He was a reporter too, and he’d have to be galactically stupid to believe that MagiKal wasn’t newsworthy. After his first, rather short interview with Lois, Murray Brown was drowning in even more requests than he’d been before.

As Lois opened her mouth Clark felt the urge to squeeze his eyes shut and clap his hands over his ears. He didn’t want to hear her laughter, didn’t want to see her mocking grin that told him that his life both as MagiKal and Clark Kent was essentially over. But he managed to resist the urge.

“That thought scares you, doesn't it?" Lois whispered. "Being exposed?"

Clark wiped his face. "Very much."

"Why?" Once more she approached him.

With his back pressed against the wall, he couldn't pull back anymore. His heart was racing as her hand touched his forearm. His breath caught and he watched her with trepidation. He didn't even know why he was so scared of her touch. When her fingers closed around his arm in a gentle squeeze, it felt good.

The tension slowly seeped out of him.

Her brown eyes were full of warmth. "Your magic is so wonderful. Why are you hiding?"

Clark tried to swallow past the lump in his dry throat. "Off the record?"

A smile crept across her lips, lighting up her face and flooding his chest with happiness.

"Off the record," she confirmed. "You saved my life. Your secret is safe with me."

He stared at her, mesmerized by her hand touching him and the warmth of her gaze on him. His fear seemed to melt away, but could he really trust her?

"Well, my magic, it's not really illusions," he said quietly.

Clark took deep breaths. Was he prepared to give her the full truth about his powers and that he couldn't control them?

She rolled her eyes. "Seriously?"

He cleared his throat. "Seriously."

Her eyes widened. "You're pulling my leg!"

"I'm not," he whispered. "People would be scared if they knew how I do these tricks."

"You saved my life today and not just mine." Lois gave his arm another squeeze.

Clark was acutely aware of every inch of skin she touched.

She met his gaze. "I don't believe that there's a reason to be scared of you."

He let out a heavy sigh and looked down at his feet. "You don't know that."

Her other hand came to rest on his chin, tilting it up until he couldn't help but look at her. "Is that the reason why you're keeping your distance from everyone but Houdini? That you're afraid of -- what exactly?"

He couldn't breathe. His chin burned hot where she was touching him. His heart pounded in his chest.

"Of hurting people," he admitted quietly.

Clark couldn't believe he was telling her any of this. Of the two of them, Lois seemed to be the one who was truly magical.

"Well, for the record, I'm not afraid of you, Clark Kent."

Before he had a chance to stop her, she pulled him into a hug. The most powerful man on Earth was just helpless to resist her force. He felt himself melt into her embrace though he knew that there was no way this was ever going to be real. As soon as the sun came up, his strength would be back, just as unreliable and dangerous as ever.

But just for tonight, maybe he could allow himself to live the dream of having a friend like Lois. It couldn't last more than a few precious hours, though.

Clark felt a cold nose against his hand. Houdini whimpered softly and leaned his body against Clark's legs as if he wanted to hug him, too. The setter's tongue stroked his hands. It was the first time in years Clark truly felt at ease.

A tear slipped down his cheek. The thought of having to give all this up nearly killed him.

"Don't do this to me, Lois," he whispered roughly.

He tried to withdraw from the tenderness of her hug, but found that he couldn't. If this short time was all he had left, how could he give up even a minute of it?

She released him and ran her hand across his cheek. "Don't do what?"

"Let me believe that we can be friends," he choked out.

"I am your friend, Clark, if you would let me be." She pointed down at Houdini who was still sharing their hug. "And even your dog seems to agree."

"Well, he's my service dog, kind of," Clark muttered. "So, he should probably know."

"See?"

His knees grew weak at the smile Lois flashed him. Then she took a step back and studied Clark intensely.

"So you're telling me you're actually a wizard?"

He chuckled. "I'm not a wizard."

Lois frowned. "Then what are you?"

He looked at her thoughtfully. Much as he suddenly wanted to share his story, he wasn't sure if the bond that was forming between him and Lois could survive the full truth.

He sighed. "I'm not yet ready to tell you that. But maybe one day, I will."

Last edited by bakasi; 03/24/23 11:14 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool