[Chapter 15: Patch]

Clark’s parents were as anxious as she was as they waited.

Lucy had left soon after the Kents had arrived, kindly recognizing that they needed time to themselves and that their reunion with Clark should be limited to just them. Lois deeply appreciated her sister's thoughtfulness, though she also knew part of it was because Lucy still felt a bit overwhelmed around Clark.

Lois startled as they heard the backdoor open and quickly close, super speed no doubt.

"Clark?!" Martha cried, ecstatic as he stepped into the room.

They clamored around him, without hesitancy, and a group bearhug immediately ensued. His aura hummed around them all, so dense with gratitude that Lois felt as if she was hovering.

"I'm so glad to be home," Clark said thickly, giving them a slight squeeze, his eyes closed, as they pulled back to get a good look at him.

Lois quickly ran her hands on either side of his face, touching where just the previous day she had seen black, lifeless marks.

"They're gone. I can't believe it," she gasped in wonder.

He laughed, feeling his parents' hands on his shoulders as Lois shamelessly kissed his cheeks and mouth over and over.

And then he opened his eyes.

She inhaled sharply, and she heard Martha and Jonathan gasp as well on either side of her.

"Oh, Clark, does it hurt?" Martha asked, tentatively touching his face beneath his left eye.

"No. It thankfully doesn't hurt," he assured, even as uneasiness flickered through his aura, joined by uncertainty.

"You can't see anything with it, can you?" Lois asked, numb.

He shook his head no. "Not really. It's all a white cloud," he whispered.

"Oh, my boy," Martha breathed, hugging him again but this time for comfort instead of in relief. Jonathan squeezed his shoulder.

"I'm seeing an ophthalmologist at 5 tomorrow. Dr. Hammond, the surgeon who had helped with the treatment today, works with him often,” Clark explained.

“Dr. Hammond?” Jonathan asked. “Lois said he’s one of the best trauma surgeons in the US?”

“He specializes in facial injuries, particularly the eye and eye socket,” Clark said.

“What do you think is going to happen?” Lois asked softly as they slowly went into the living room and sat down.

“I don’t know. Dr. Hammond said there’s some things to look into. And I know from my travels ‘blind’ people are rarely completely blind,” he said, before taking a deep breath. “I can detect light and the shapes do seem to resemble what my other eye is seeing. Faintly.”

“So you could get a prescription?” Lois asked, baffled.

To their surprise, Clark chuckled. “I had a really good laugh imagining myself with a monocle,” Clark admitted, though from his aura they could feel he was treading carefully. It reminded them that he could feel how overwhelmed they were, just as much as they could feel his own uncertainty for the future.

“Why is it . . . so different?” Jonathan asked, looking at Clark’s red and white iris.

“I don’t know. Ta’peel had–” He took an uneasy breath. “The damage had covered the surface of my eye, and we don’t know how deep it had gone. It had gone completely through my cheeks in some areas, so. . . . Part of me had been preparing myself to actually lose my eye, to be honest. There’s also the red kryptonite to consider. Maybe that’s why it’s red? There’s a lot we just don’t know.”

“Okay,” Lois said, trying to keep herself together.

She hadn’t allowed herself to even entertain the thought of him losing his eye, and yet he had been and hadn’t told her. Of course, she knew why and didn’t blame him. For several times the past week, she had been tortured by the thought of them not saving him from Ta'peel in time. She hadn’t been able to stomach any more less-than-ideal what-if’s after his return.

“Please don’t worry,” he continued. “I’m already way better than I had been this morning. Before, I wasn’t sure if I could continue my life as Clark, but now there’s a chance.”

“We know, and you’re right. Let’s just count our blessings this evening and leave the rest for tomorrow,” Martha agreed.

And so they did, settling down for a movie and ordering delivery with Lois cuddling close against his side.

O o O o O

Dr. Joseph Ortega turned around, his heart hammering in his chest.

He had finished the exam, taken all the measurements and scans he could of both of Superman’s eyes before comparing them. They were both unbelievable and breathtaking, though for different reasons.

And now he had to tell the Man of Steel, the hero of the world, what his findings told him.

He took a slow, shaky breath, suddenly thankful he couldn’t feel Superman’s famous aura.

“Superman, your left eye, its lens and iris are no longer truly separate. They appear to have fused together and distorted the surface of your eye. I know of no other way to describe it. I’m sorry, but I don’t believe your eye is able to truly function anymore,” he said. “And because of the altered composition, I’m afraid finding a beneficial prescription will not be possible either, at least from what we currently understand about your eye’s condition.”

The Kryptonian didn’t look surprised as he took a slow deep breath and bowed his head.

“I . . .” Superman paused and gave a short snort of irony. “I see.”

“I’m very sorry. I wish I had better news for you,” Ortega said apologetically.

Ortega glanced at Dr. Klein standing off to the side. The balding doctor put his face in his hands.

“It’s not your fault. And thank you for seeing me. At least now I know,” he said, giving him a soft smile.

“I’ve-I’ve taken the measurements needed for a custom contact, so we can begin that process, if you wish,” Ortega quickly offered.

Superman nodded. “I’d like that. I don’t know if I could have it in during rescues, but I think I could use it. I know this. . . .” He trailed off as he motioned to his discolored eye. “Can be off-putting.”

“I have eyepatches you can try as well,” Ortega said, stepping back and opening a drawer behind him. “Some of my patients prefer those.”

“Alright,” Superman said, standing up and approaching his side.

The drawer was full of different kinds of eyepatches: cloth, leather, plastic, composite, and combinations thereof.

After some thought, Superman selected one.

“Thank you, doctor. How long will it take for the contact to be made?” Superman asked.

“They usually take four weeks, but due to the circumstances, a week or so could likely be shaved off,” Ortega answered, desperate to help him in any way he could.

“Alright. Thank you. Mav or Julie will be in touch with your office. Please let me know if you need anything from me or the Foundation.”

“Of course.”

Ortega truly wished he could have offered him some reassurance or hope, but, as it stood, he felt doing so would have been cruel.

It was what it was.

O o O o O

True to his word, Kal returned to the Foundation the next day and Mav informed the press of his coming statement.

The street in front of the Foundation was crammed packed with members of the press. He could hear them from his room even without his super hearing.

Looking in the mirror, he carefully placed the blue eyepatch on his head.

His mother had worked on it the previous night, altering the eyepatch he had received from Ortega so it fit snugly and matched his uniform.

At first he hadn't been sure if he was going to wear his uniform or wear jeans and his shield t-shirt when he gave his statement, but after thinking about it more, he knew.

He had to wear his uniform. Not wearing it, when – save for his eye – he was back to his full capabilities, felt . . . wrong.

No. He had to make a statement. Not just in words, but in action as well.

He might now be partially blind, but he was still Superman, still the Keeper of Earth. And he was ready and willing to serve again.

He adjusted the patch until he was certain it wouldn’t move. The eye cover was small, resting beneath his eyebrow and just above the bottom edge of his eyesocket so it fit firmly against his eye. The thin band went around his head, going above his right eyebrow.

It actually didn't look too bad, all things considered, and the darkness that came over his left eye was a nice reprieve from the bright fog.

He glanced at the clock. It was time.

He closed his good eye and stretched out his hearing, immediately finding Lois' heartbeat and those of his parents' beside her. He could sense they were at the outer edge, just able to see the front of the Foundation.

He hadn't allowed himself to think much on how the world would react to his condition, but he knew it was best to face it head on and not tip toe around it. After all, the one who first sets the tone typically shapes the overall response of others, for good or ill.

He left his room and walked down the stairs at normal speed.

Too soon, he was on the ground floor and the large glass windows allowed all outside to see him.

The resounding silence was deafening.

He walked behind Mav, who led them out front before stepping aside, leaving the podium clear.

Kal went forward, very conscious of how every eye and camera lens was on him, most utterly astonished, others aghast, while some were actually quietly dissolving into tears. His right hand came to rest on the podium.

"Good morning," he started, holding his head high and allowing everyone to see him.

He had nothing to be ashamed of, so he best act like it.

"Thank you, everyone, for being patient as I took the time I needed to heal. As you all can tell by my appearance, I have something I am adjusting to," he said, keeping his voice light, even as his heart pounded.

The crowd was still, as if trying to accept what they were seeing.

"In life, sometimes bad things happen and, despite your best efforts and those of people around you, there is loss. But you have to play the hand that you’ve been dealt and decide how to respond." He took a deep breath and pressed on.

"I have lost nearly all sight in this eye.

"If this turns out to be permanent, which appears will be the case, then I’m going to have to figure out how to deal with it. And so I will, because I really do believe that we’re all put on Earth, or whatever planet we’re put on, to do better than we think we can, to be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."

His good eye looked across the crowd and settled on his family. His parents were watching in tearful pride and Lois was tenderly smiling. His eye moved on.

"I will continue serving as Superman, as I believe I can still fulfill my role. If that changes, I will inform the U.N. immediately. As per the Treaty of El, like all first responders, I must demonstrate I am fit for duty and step down if that is no longer the case. As such, I will be sharing my doctor's summary of my most recent physical and assessment of my remaining eyesight and visual abilities. I trust that will appease any with reservations, but if any remain, you may file specific concerns with the U.N., and they will determine any necessary steps from there.

"I will take your questions now," he said, looking to the largest cluster of news cameras.

It took longer than he had expected for hands to rise.

When they did, Kal selected one.

"Tom Sparks, Metropolis Star. Superman, how do you feel about the footage from Arizona being released? Are you upset with the news station that did it?"

“The Foundation’s previous statement on that summarized my feelings on the matter, but I will reiterate, please consider the appropriateness of such things. No parent should have the near death of their child, adult or not, so carelessly displayed, especially without forewarning. As for being upset, I have more important things to spend energy on. Next question.”

“Katherine Gonel, BBN. Superman, do you foresee another attack on your person coming, ordered by the one named Nor?”

“No,” he answered.

“Could you explain why you believe that?” Gonel asked.

“I suspect Nor had hired both the first assassin and the other two at or near the same time because there was not enough time between them for him to have learned the first had failed and for him to send the pair. To help you all better understand, several messages have been sent to New Krypton since the first assassin targeted me over a month ago. Unfortunately, space communications take a long time to reach their destinations, and the earliest I expect a reply is in early Spring.

“Now, I must confess that as soon as I learned about Nor and the threat he posed to Earth - which was before the New Kryptonians had departed over half a year ago - I began working with the U.S. military on contingency plans, and thus the U.N. Security Council. It was their resulting efforts that saved my life and countless others. I will be going back to the U.N. in the near future to discuss more contingency plans, as I think such precautions would be wise.”

"So Nor could send another?" Gonel followed up.

"He could, but I doubt it. Nor is the type of tyrant who prefers a soft plan A and then a heavy plan B. I doubt he imagined his plan B failing and, on top of that, I'm certain he's having to contend with a unified New Krypton at the moment."

Superman sighed and shifted his stance.

“I regret that being who I am has endangered so many people, but we cannot control the actions of others, only our response to them. There will always be evil, but they only win if we let them. Next question.”

“Ken Li, TNC News. There were several reports that you, more or less, telepathically called out for help when you had been held captive by Ta'peel and his son. Could you explain how that was possible when you had previously stated you had to be within sight of the one you choose to communicate with?"

Kal nodded, having expected this question.

"Kryptonians can communicate with one another without line of sight. My doctor's theory is that I was able to communicate with those individuals last week because I had touched them with my aura to a degree that essentially provided a beacon for my message to target and meet. I won't sugar coat it. When I had been held, I was desperate. I hadn’t known if my call for help would work or not, but I had to hope, so I tried. I'm sorry for startling those I reached, but thank you for notifying the Foundation with what you could. That information helped them find me and prepare for the rescue mission."

He pointed to another reporter.

"George Knit, LNN. When you had first arrived at the hospital in Arizona, reports state that you extended your aura to a large portion of the hospital. Are all those people going to be, for lack of a better term, in tune with you now? And, if it's not too much to ask, why did you do that?"

"No, they won't. Only people I've healed or been around while relaxing my aura for an extended period of time will. And that exposure time is months, not seconds. Even Mav has not been around me long enough to become ‘in tune’," he said, nodding to the Director beside him, who smiled.

"As for what happened in the hospital. . . ." He trailed off, contemplating his next words. "I needed to ground myself."

"Could you . . . elaborate?" Knit tentatively asked.

Superman straightened and looked directly at the cameras.

"I want to give fair warning that my coming answer may not be for young children. Granted, I imagine much of the events this past week have not been child friendly, so maybe it doesn't matter. Either way, the warning has been said," he said.

He waited a moment, as if able to see parents ushering their children out of earshot, before he leaned on the podium and answered, looking back at the reporter who had asked the question.

"Ta'peel was the embodiment of evil. He enjoyed causing pain, and before coming to Earth he had personally ended at least 134 lives. He had absorbed their life force and their final moments were imprinted on each. And I touched the essence of each murdered being before experiencing their last emotions. Their last remnants of life. When I came to in the hospital, I was emotionally and spiritually drowning. I cannot describe the level of despair.”

He inhaled shakily and held it for a moment before he cleared his throat, trying to keep his voice steady. He was only partially successful, but as he went on, his words grew in peace and strength.

“I needed to push all of that away. My doctor instinctively knew that and what to do. He told me to use my aura. So that’s what I did. I stretched myself among those helping me and eventually to those who hadn’t even known the extent of the dire situation I was in, but their goodwill was plain as soon as they realized what was happening. When they sensed me.

“I needed to feel life and hope, to experience proof that Ta’peel and his son had failed. That there was something outside the echoes of death that I found myself trapped within. . . .”

He looked up at the sky, and a calmness rose.

“It might be inaccurate to say that those I had extended my aura to helped save my life, but they undoubtedly helped save my sanity,” he said plainly before looking back at the crowd and passing his gaze across the cameras. “So to everyone who had helped me that day, thank you. You helped save Superman. Each life I save from this moment on is in part because of you,” he said, somehow keeping his voice steady to the end but failing to maintain any semblance of super collected resolve as his good eye blinked back tears.

He smiled softly and stepped back.

“No more questions,” Mav stated. “Thank you.”

Mav followed Superman back inside the Foundation and within moments Superman was out of sight.

Seconds later they all heard his sonic boom and they knew.

A new future beckoned.

O o O End of Act IV O o O

Comments

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blueowl; 01/23/23 11:29 PM.