[Chapter 11: Red]

Lois looked up from her desk as Perry came up.

“Hey, hun, I didn’t expect to see you here,” he said, his eyes full of concern.

She had just returned from Arizona and her plan had been to check in, maybe write an op-ed, and then head home and hope to hear from Mav at some point. Granted, if she was honest, she had no real plan. None of them did.

“Oh. Yeah, well, I. . . .” She glanced around and found there were many people curiously watching.

"Let's talk in my office," Perry proposed.

She nodded gratefully and followed him.

"How is he?" Perry asked as soon as he was behind his desk.

Lois exhaled shakily, grateful the blinds and door were closed.

“Better, but . . . not great."

Kal had returned to the Foundation early that morning and, according to Mav who called her cell soon after, he was currently asleep. The Foundation informed the world the same an hour later, stating he was still on the mend and they were not sure how long it would take for him to fully recover but that he was now in stable condition though still severely injured.

The Kents remained in Smallville, knowing no one had any idea when Clark would be well enough to leave the Foundation. Unfortunately, Clark hadn't had an opportunity yet to call them on the phone either. Between sleeping and everything else, it just hadn't been feasible. She hoped he would be able to soon.

"Is that why he hasn't made an appearance yet?" Perry asked.

Lois bit her lip, not sure how to respond to that.

Some of his powers were beginning to return and all of his bruises were gone, but the black areas on his head and neck were unchanged.

Sure, he could technically make an appearance, but what would the fallout be? But then, what if this was permanent?

How could he be Clark?

She bowed her face into her hands.

"It's more serious than the world has been told, then?" Perry asked gravely.

"He has some injuries that are not healing. They’re on his face," she admitted in a whisper, knowing she could trust Perry.

Perry's eyes widened and he was about to ask a question when a commotion out in the bullpen got their attention.

They hurried out of his office.

"What's in Sam's Hill is g–" Perry cut himself off.

Everyone's eyes were glued to the screens and it was clear why.

'– be warned, the following footage is disturbing,' the news anchor advised.

Sprawled at the bottom of the screen were the words: "Security Footage from 'Go Fitness!'"

The silent video was grainy and displayed a large parking lot where three military helicopters had just landed. Their rotors were still spinning as the crews poured forth with the center group bearing a stretcher.

Although low quality, the images were clear enough to show the soldiers directing each other and motioning the people in the area to seek shelter.

Then it all went to chaos. A seven foot tall form they all recognized landed.

The next twenty seconds was a jumble of tossed bodies and fire, with the furthest helicopter becoming engulfed in flames. And then the monster had a soldier in his grasp, before a blur shot from the center group. The oddly colored blur slammed into Ta’peel, ruthlessly bringing him to the ground.

The blur coalesced into a shirtless, black haired man. His red boots and the bottom half of a filthy uniform instantly identified him as Superman, but even from the distance and subpar quality of the camera, discolored zones of skin blotted his bare back as he punched the hostile alien. For several seconds, Superman seemed to have the upperhand, expertly maneuvering his arms and legs like a jujitsu master. But then he was jolted in the side and Ta’peel’s purple hand latched onto the side of his head.

Everyone in the newsroom stared in horror as Superman was hoisted up, his back arching as the parasite began to suck him dry.

Lois covered her mouth with her hands, a strangled cry joining many others around her.

And then the camera flickered and a line of static distorted the screen for a long second as Ta’peel’s massive form staggered back as if slugged, dropping Superman as he clutched at his chest.

Lois suddenly wished there was audio as Ta’peel visibly began freaking out before his purple hue faded and he went limp.

The screen flickered again and odd distortions blinked around the collapsing giant for a wavering instant.

But things did not slow down after that, if anything, they sped up.

The soldiers moved.

One shot the fallen alien point blank in the head (which had been specifically blurred) as two moved to Superman. There was other movement, such as soldiers helping those injured or securing the perimeter, but everyone watching the screens only had eyes on Superman and the two men diligently performing CPR on him.

The camera angle was such that they could really only see Superman’s boots and legs, but as the two men worked together, the view became further blocked by able soldiers surrounding them as crowds of people gathered along the edge of the parking lot and beyond.

Although there was no sound, a visible commotion suddenly erupted a second later and the soldiers immediately turned Superman onto his side as others purposefully but frantically moved about.

Superman could barely be seen now as a strange sort of struggle ensued.

"That's a seizure! He's having a seizure!" someone exclaimed at the other end of the bullpen.

As much as she wanted to, Lois couldn't look away.

After what felt like forever, Superman's boots went still and he was loaded up onto the helicopter. The whole newsroom was dead silent as the helicopter went into the air and the news anchor came back on.

Everyone was at a loss for words, and Lois was so numb she couldn’t even attempt to comprehend what the man on the screen was even saying.

She suddenly felt Perry’s hand on her shoulder . . . self awareness returned.

Tears were streaming down her cheeks, but pain and sorrow soon morphed into rage. Fury coursed through her so violently, it was fortunate she didn't have heat vision.

"How dare they!!" she roared. "He has done so much for us all and they decide to plaster that for the world to see without even asking him?!"

"Honey–" Perry started.

"I know it's news, but did they have to sensationalize it?! They could have stated they had obtained a copy of the footage of what had happened but not released it, because what is the benefit of doing so other than traumatizing the world? Seriously?!

"Oh! I forgot. The all important reason. RATINGS!! How silly of me!

"Let's forget that this is a man who has risked and sacrificed more than any of us can ever fully comprehend! Let's display his pain and profit off of it!" she fumed.

She opened her mouth, about to continue her tirade, when a now familiar sensation condensed in the back of her mind.

/Lois? Are you okay?/ Kal's voice warbled, strained.

She startled, feeling his fatigue, confusion and concern. As if he had been jostled out of a deep sleep.

"I'm sorry," she said, realizing he had somehow felt her anger before becoming aware that she had also spoken aloud.

Everyone was staring at her.

She briefly closed her eyes and did her best to push out a thought to him.

/Keep the TV off! Please! Don't watch the news!/ She stressed to him, hoping her words went through. /I'm okay./

She took a deep breath. "Perry, you can reach me through my cell if you need me. Expect an op-ed piece in a few hours," she declared. "I might not be able to physically do anything to those heartless windbags, but I'll still tear them a new one."

"I look forward to reading it," Perry approved before his tone turned soft. "And if you get the chance, please tell Superman we're all pulling for him," he said.

Others throughout the newsroom immediately joined in agreement, expressing their well wishes and asking her to pass them on to Superman.

"I will," she promised, her eyes now moist for a different reason.

O o O o

Julie Heinz turned off the television, resigned to the likely fallout as she turned to Mav.

"What do you want to do?" she asked.

"Besides punch the person who thought making that video public now was a good idea?" he asked duly.

"Besides that," she intoned.

Mav heaved a sigh. "We'll need to make another statement."

"Let's go talk to Bernie," Julie said. "Then we'll talk to Kal."

In agreement, they went to the third floor.

"Mav, Julie! I was just going down to see you!" Dr. Klein said excitedly. "I think I have something we can try. Come on, we need to talk to Kal now and we also need to bring in some help."

"What? Wait! What do you think we can try?" Mav asked, backing up as Klein stepped out of the lab.

"Red Kryptonite! I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner!" he said, leading the way to Kal's room.

"Will it be safe though?" Mav asked.

"We'll take it slow, watch for any adverse effects, and target his exposure by using lead shielding so the area affected will be limited. I just ran a test on cells I had gathered before, and while they become . . . hyper, which will help in this case, they do revert back to how they were eventually. If my calculations are correct, for the amount of time I plan on exposing him, it'll take about five minutes for the cells to return to normal, ten tops. But the point is, I think it's worth trying. If it works the way I suspect, his healing will essentially be supercharged and just might jumpstart the neighboring cells, revitalizing them," Klein said quickly.

Mav and Julie liked the sound of that, momentarily putting everything else aside.

"Do you know of anyone we can bring in to help? I’d like at least someone present who is an expert in treating open wounds at least,” Klein continued. “Maybe two nurses and a surgeon?”

“One of our volunteers is a retired trauma nurse and I know someone else we can ask,” Julie said. “But I don’t know any surgeons.”

“I’ll make a few calls, if Kal agrees,” Mav said as they came to the door leading to Kal’s quarters. “We’ll get everything and everyone we need.”

“Alright,” Klein said as he knocked on the door.

/Come in./

They entered and were surprised to find Kal sitting up on the side of the bed.

“How are you feeling?” Klein asked.

“Same,” he admitted while attempting a gentle smile despite the rigid, black marks on his face as his aura brushed against them. /I take it something has happened?/

“I have an idea,” Dr. Klein said quickly, before repeating what he had just told Mav and Julie.

Kal’s right eye widened. /I’m definitely open to trying,/ he instantly agreed.

“Alright, I’ll make some calls, but before that, there’s something else,” Mav said, apologetic.

/Was there a recording of what happened or something? And it was on the news?/ Kal asked.

They startled.

"Yes, how did you know?" Julie asked.

"Wait, what?!" Dr. Klein asked, alarmed.

"The fitness club had a security camera overlooking the whole parking lot. Although it was grainy, it essentially captured the whole thing," Mav swiftly summarized, frustrated.

/Well, that explains things,/ Kal mentally muttered, looking down with a frown.

"What?" Klein asked again.

/I, uh, felt some things,/ he said, deciding something. /I'm pretty sure it was Lois. She was . . . furious a little bit ago. It's why I'm awake, actually. I was trying to decide what to do./

"It goes both ways?" Klein asked, astonished.

/I guess so. I felt Lois after I sent her the image of the sign, then again today./

"That's amazing! I wonder if humans are capable of telepathy or just empathic projection. And if this is possible, is it only because of your aura and how much they’ve been exposed to it, or could we learn to do it on our own?"

"Dr. Klein," Mav interrupted.

"Oh. Sorry," Klein said, chagrined.

"Alright. So what should our response to the footage be?" Mav asked, getting back on track. "Or would you prefer we withhold comment?"

/I've made it a point to always be as up front and honest as possible with the world, but I can't lie and say I'm okay that this was released–and I haven't even seen it yet. My family—/

His eyes widened, suddenly horrified. "Oh no! My parents!"

/Have my parents seen it?! I need to call them!/

He immediately stood up, went to the phone and began to dial.

“I’ll write some statements and run them by you later to decide,” Mav promised firmly, nodding to the others as they quickly headed out of the room.

Kal nodded to him in thanks with his ear already to the phone.

“Dad! Where’s Mom?!” he asked into the receiver.

Julie closed the door behind them, each silently rocked by his tone. He sounded like any son concerned for his parents.

O o O o O

Jonathan picked up the phone, hoping it was Lois since he knew his son still needed to rest.

“Hello?” he asked.

The voice that answered startled him.

“Dad! Where’s Mom?!”

“Son?!”

“Yeah, are you both there?”

“Uh, yeah. Martha! Martha! It’s Clark!” he bellowed, covering the mouth piece because he had no idea where Clark was and didn’t want to be overheard.

He heard her gasp out in joy and hurry to the nearest phone.

“Cl–Kal!” she gasped, correcting herself – always cautious. “Are you okay?”

“I’m . . . improving. And I’m currently alone. I have a lot to tell you, but . . . you have the TV off, right?” he asked.

“Uh, yes. Why?” Martha asked, suspicious.

“Thank goodness,” he breathed, relieved, his voice immediately becoming more subdued. Worn, almost muffled.

It sounded as if he was moving his jaw as little as possible. Jonathan didn’t need to imagine why.

“Leave it off for now. The media got a hold of footage from the . . . . I just . . . I didn’t want you to see that without warning. It apparently . . . Well, let’s just say, it was so bad that I literally felt Lois’ rage because of it. Woke me up actually.”

“What?!” Jonathan asked, frankly at a loss.

“You mean . . . what happened in Arizona?” Martha asked, horrified, apparently quicker on the uptake than him. “Why would they televise that?!”

Jonathan froze, suddenly realizing what Martha already had. He felt sick.

“Who knows. But anyway, I just really wanted to make sure you didn’t . . . see that,” he said.

“How are you?” Jonathan pressed, deciding to push aside everything else.

"I'm, well, I know Lois has kept you updated, but Dr. Klein thinks he found something that might help. I'll call Lois about it soon, but to put it simply, he's going to try to use the red kryptonite to . . . more or less, jump start my cells. We don't know if it'll work yet, obviously, but at this point. . . ."

"Do whatever you think is best," Martha encouraged. "Should we head to Metropolis?"

"I'm not sure, to be honest. You won't really be able to visit me, and I have no idea when I'll be able to leave the Foundation. But . . . you know, yeah, go ahead and come down if you'd like. At the very least you can see Lois."

“Okay, we will.”

"When is Dr. Klein going to try the red kryptonite?" Jonathan asked, trying to keep his reservations silent.

He knew they wouldn't help in this case. Lois had told them about the marks. And his eye.

Jonathan swallowed.

“As soon as possible. From how they were talking, I’m thinking tomorrow, maybe the day after. Man. It's so good to hear you both."

"It's a relief to hear you too, son," Jonathan said, trying to not get choked up.

"Understatement of the century,” Martha agreed, not bothering to hide her emotions.

Clark stifled a chuckle and peaceful silence rose between them.

“Well, son, we’ll get to packing and let you rest.”

“Alright. Good night,” he said.

“Good night. Love you, son,” Jonathan said, Martha chiming in with him.

“Love you too. Bye.”

He hung up and took a shuddering breath. His boy would be okay. He would be okay.

O o O o O

Lois took a deep breath as Kal explained what Dr. Klein had proposed.

“Do you think it’ll work?” she asked softly into the phone, sitting on the corner of their bed at home.

“I don’t know. I think it could. But I know if we do nothing, nothing will change,” he said softly.

“Alright. Should I come to the Foundation then?” she asked.

“To be here during the operation? Lois, I . . . Bernie is getting outside help. And to be honest. . . . I don’t know if . . . I mean. . . .”

“You’re right. You’re right,” she quickly assured, knowing all the layers of what he was trying to express.

Their secret, his identity, their protection, the difficulty of seeing the procedure, the unknowns, all of it.

“I’ll call you as soon as I can, and if I can’t, Mav will,” he quickly promised. “Also, my parents should get into Metropolis some time tomorrow. I had called them before calling you to warn them about the footage.”

“Alright. And they still have the spare key to our house, right?” she asked, forcing her voice to remain steady.

“They do.”

“Good, good. Oh, I just submitted my op-ed piece. The news station that released that footage is in for a world of hurt.”

Kal couldn’t help but laugh. “Mav is working on a statement for me to approve.”

“I look forward to hearing the Foundation’s statement,” Lois returned.

“Me too,” he admitted, causing her to laugh as well.

“Love you,” she said.

“Love you too, honey.”

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 01/19/23 10:23 PM.