Happy New Year, everyone. Here you go with another story in the MagiKal universe. Hope you'll enjoy.

The Magic of Words

An icy wind sent chills through Lois. She wrapped her thick coat and scarf more firmly around herself. So did everyone else around her. The temperatures had dropped to single digits during the last few days, turning Metropolis into a freezing winter wonderland.

MagiKal was the only one who didn't seem to mind the cold. He darted back and forth among the crowd, motioning for people to switch places and half-dragging a huge man toward the other side.

"Okay, Sir, you move over here, and you-" He stopped in front of Lois. MagiKal's eyes widened a bit as he took her in and for a moment she felt that strange spark between them. "You're a bit of a problem, Miss."

He scratched his head. People around them started to chuckle as he looked back and forth between the groups. A strange tension had settled above the crowd. Although nothing spectacular had happened yet, everyone was brimming with anticipation. So far, MagiKal hadn't shown any of his usual tricks, but to this day he’d never failed to amaze his fans.

After appearing seemingly out of nowhere, he had spent the past two minutes sorting the gathering crowd into various groups. It was fun to watch, though Lois didn’t have the slightest idea what kind of criterion he used.

"Okay, everyone in the group to my right, you move over here to the left side of this lovely lady," MagiKal ordered.

A murmur ran through the spectators, but the people did as he asked. Lois, too, wondered what he was up to. She'd never seen him this talkative or approachable. Maybe today was her chance to secure that interview.

MagiKal sorted another few people, then he seemed content with the result.

He smiled. "I bet you're wondering what that was all about, huh? Well, let's see if I got this right. Everyone who chose a white shirt or pullover this morning, lift your arm."

The group to Lois' left lifted their arms collectively, then stared at each other. Everyone was wearing thick jackets, their scarfs wrapped so firmly around their necks that it was impossible to see what was underneath.

MagiKal pointed at Lois, who hadn’t raised her arm yet. "You too, Miss. That white blouse of yours does count. If you’ve forgotten what you chose this morning, you might want to check.” He winked at her. “Or are you waiting for me to call up the people wearing blue, because you picked that blue vest?"

Lois gasped. How could he know that? She looked down at herself, checking if one of the buttons of her coat had popped or if there was a part of her sleeve peeking out. But there was no gap that would have allowed him to check on her clothing.

He looked over to Lois' right. "Now, who's wearing blue on this crisp winter morning?"

Now everyone next to Lois' right side raised their arm, but no one else. The crowd was cheering.

"Okay, let's see, who's wearing green?"

That evening, Lois leaned back in her chair and rubbed her eyes. She was about ready to call it a day. Wearily, she hit the button to send Perry her latest article. Again, she didn’t have an interview with MagiKal, but neither did anyone else, so that was at least some consolation. After sorting the people by the color of their shirts, he had correctly guessed various items people had hidden behind their backs.

Lois cringed slightly as she remembered her rather pitiful attempt at getting his attention by hiding a sheet of paper that said: <I want to interview you. Please contact me at the Daily Planet. Lois Lane.>

He hadn’t reacted. Either he was deliberately ignoring her, or he - Lois shook her head. How was he even supposed to see a piece of paper that she’d hidden behind her back and written on with tiny letters? It had been such a ridiculous idea that now Lois only felt silly for even trying. Silly and kind of desperate.

She wasn’t even writing for the society section. Still, every reporter wanted to be the first one to interview MagiKal. And Lois couldn't help but feel there was more to the man than met the eye. For weeks there had been tales of miracles. People who swore that their life had been at stake but had been spared by some divine intervention. Usually, she’d dismiss the idea as something for the tabloids. But her reporter’s instincts had kicked in and here she was, grasping at straws.

It might just be coincidence. There had always been weird stories floating around. But now there was also a man whose illusions baffled the world. She knew it was silly, but she wanted to see a connection. Either she was onto something big, or she was losing it completely. And all because she’d agreed to help Jimmy so many weeks ago.

Speaking of Jimmy - Lois chose to distract herself with perusing the articles of one Clark Kent which Jimmy had left on her desk. Articles about a circus in Park Ridge, a human interest story concerning the closing of a community center and other puff pieces she wouldn’t usually bother to write or read. But Clark Kent’s words were drawing her in, making her a part of the spectators in that circus and letting her feel sad for a community she’d never been a part of.

Perry’s voice startled her from her musings. "Do you want to work for the Daily Planet permanently, son?”

Lois turned her head, spotting Clark Kent just outside Perry’s office. He seemed to squirm under the editor’s gaze.

“I…uh.” He looked down at the dog that was again standing firmly by his side. “Thanks so much for the offer, Mr. White, but…”

Perry followed Kent’s gaze and took in the huge Irish Setter, hadn’t his name been Houdini, who’d tensed next to his master. Automatically, Perry took a step back, quite obviously intimidated by the dog.

“Of course, you’d have to leave your dog at home,” Perry added.

“I can’t,” Kent said quietly.

“Oh, come on, of course you can. Find some dog-sitter who will go for a walk with him and-”

“You got me wrong, Mr. White,” Kent heaved a sigh. “I can’t work for the Daily Planet permanently.”

“Have you lost your mind?” Perry barked. His eyes narrowed on Kent. “Every damn reporter in Metropolis would kill for that offer.”

Houdini made a step toward Perry, a low growl escaping his throat. Perry stared at him with wide eyes.

“Down boy,” Kent said between clenched teeth. Immediately, Houdini backed off and Perry relaxed somewhat.

“Look, Mr. White, I’m not every reporter in Metropolis,” Kent said with a tinge of sadness in his voice. “I’d really love to work here, but it’s impossible. I really appreciate the offer, though. Thanks.”

He turned and walked away, leaving Perry stunned. The editor wasn’t the only one. Lois couldn’t believe what she’d just heard, from either of them. As Perry went back into his office and closed the door behind him, she rushed over to Kent.

“Okay, spill it, what did you bring in that made Perry offer you a job? Did you get an interview with MagiKal or what?”

Kent stopped dead in his tracks. “Oh, Ms. Lane. Good evening. Why would I have an interview with MagiKal?” He seemed genuinely puzzled.

“Because every reporter in this city is dying to get one,” she replied. “Perry White has never in his whole life begged anyone to work for him. So how did you do it and why on earth did you refuse?”

His face clouded over. “That’s none of your business, Ms. Lane.” he said briskly. Then his ears turned a shade of pink. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be so rude. You want it badly, that interview, don’t you?”

His warm gaze rested on her and for some inexplicable reason Lois felt her heart beat faster. There was something about Clark Kent, about the way he looked at her. What was going on with her all of a sudden? Lucy would have a field day if she ever caught her mooning over not only one but two guys.

She heaved a sigh. “Yeah, me and everyone else. You don’t happen to have an inside scoop, do you? I mean, I could really use some help. And you’re a good writer. We could use someone like you around here.”

A smile flickered across his face, so bright and beautiful that Lois’ breath caught. “Thanks, I guess.”

“How’s that head of yours?” Good grief, when had she changed to flirting with him?

“All right for now,” he replied with another, even more dazzling smile. Then his expression sobered. “Come Houdini, we’ve got to get going. Bye, Ms. Lane.”

His gaze lingered on her just for a moment longer, as if he was actually reluctant to go. Lois felt like she could drown in his eyes and it took her a moment to realize that he’d just spoken to her.

Slightly dazed, she watched him walk off before she managed a ‘Goodbye’ of her own.

Houdini however, was still standing in front of her and watching her intently.

Kent looked back at them. “Houdini?”

The dog’s eyes never left Lois.

She gulped. “Why is he staring at me like that? He isn’t going to attack, is he?”

Kent laughed. “Don’t worry. He’s probably just smelling the leftovers of your turkey sandwich.” He clicked his tongue. “Come on now, boy. I’ll get you some food. You don’t have to steal the lady's sandwich.”

Houdini followed Kent and Lois watched them as they left the newsroom through the staircase. Her heart was still pounding in her chest. She was confused. How could he refuse a job offer from Perry? How could he know that she’d had a turkey sandwich for lunch that she hadn’t eaten completely?

Lois returned to her desk, deeply lost in thought. With a start, she saw a note lying on her desk that hadn’t been there before. Had Jimmy brought it? She’d thought that he’d gone home already.

Lois unfolded the paper. It was her own note to MagiKal.

<I want to interview you. Please contact me at the Daily Planet. Lois Lane.>

Someone had written something underneath.

<Maybe one day, you will. MagiKal.>

Lois' heart skipped a beat. So he had seen her letter after all. But how?

Last edited by bakasi; 01/06/23 07:22 AM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool