I'm joining the ficlet Friday fun. This bunny has been plaguing me for a while now. I think it was spawned by Annie M's wonderful Magic of Love trilogy and the magic "tricks" Clark does for Lois.

I don't think the bunny will ever turn into a full long fic. So I thought I'd give short fics a try and wait where this universe will take me...

There Is No Such Thing As Magic

"Oh, come on, Jimmy," Lois groaned. "There's no such thing as magic. You're not honestly expecting me to chase a story that's something for Cat or the tabloids, are you?"

His formerly giddy face fell. Jimmy ran a nervous hand through his hair and then held his hands as if he was praying. "Lois, please… I just know that this guy is more than just a great illusionist. He's the real thing. I saw him fly for Heaven's sake. There were no strings. And he froze a rose solid while he spun on his heels."

Jimmy waved a picture that showed the blurred shape of some barely descernable flower in the hands of a masked man.

Lois tried not to laugh. "That photo proves nothing but that you've got much to learn as a photographer."

"He was moving," Jimmy grumbled. "I'd love to see you take a better picture."

Lois shook her head. "I don't get paid for my extraordinary photographs."

Jimmy nodded. "Exactly. But you've won prices for your investigative stories. That's why you need to help me.

Lois let out a soft groan. Jimmy was the closest thing to a friend she had at the Daily Planet and hIs research skills were outstanding. So she couldn't bring herself to be downright rude. But today he was wearing on her patience. If he were anyone else, Mad Dog Lane would have given him a harsh put down by now. Instead, she was trying to turn him down gently.

Lois heaved a sigh. "Look, there's nothing to investigate about a masked guy who's performing some good tricks and calls himself 'Magi-Kal'. What am I supposed to find out? Why he can't properly spell the word magical?"

Jimmy sank down on the edge of her desk and let out a frustrated huff. "They're not just some good magic tricks, Lois. When I was a child I was living in Vegas for a few years. My Dad was absent for the most part. But whenever he was present, he took me to magic shows. To sort of make up for his lack of time, I guess." He shrugged. "Anyway, I've seen them all. Copperfield, Siegfried and Roy… there was no one even remotely as good as this guy. I tell you, he's truly magical. He can fly without anything holding him up."

Lois rolled her eyes. "You mean there are no strings that you could see."

She took a sip of coffee. It tasted awfully stale. Wrinkling her nose in disgust, she spat it back into the cup and poured the liquid into the flower pot on her desk. The plant's already withered leaves seemed to look even more sorry than they had before. Lois felt a pang of guilt.

Jimmy hung his head in defeat. "I tell you there weren't any strings. I can see a trick, I even practiced illusions in high school. I just know there's something unbelievable going on."

Lois couldn't help but smile as she watched her giddy friend. "So, he's good. Doesn't mean that the laws of nature don't apply to him. What did Perry tell you?"

Jimmy pursed his lips. "To forget about it," he grumbled. He gave her his best puppy dog look. "That's why I'm talking to you, Lois. Cause you're the best. All I'm asking is that you come to his next performance."

Lois frowned. "And how am I supposed to do that? Didn't you say that he's some kind of street artist, who just suddenly appears and does his tricks?"

Jimmy gritted his teeth. "I tell you, they're not just tricks. But to answer your question, he usually shows up downtown. Sometimes, I run into him when I grab lunch. So, perhaps you could just… um…join me?" He gave her a sheepish smile.

Lois frowned. "This is not some elaborate scheme to get a date with me, is it?"

Jimmy blanched. "No, no, of course not," he said hastily, a bit too hasty, perhaps.

Lois couldn't stifle a laugh. "Okay, I have to admit, you're making me curious. I'll join you for lunch, if only to prove to you that there really is no such thing as magic."

Jimmy smirked, the gleam in his eyes mischievous. "You'll be singing a different song, once you've seen him. And then I get to say 'told you so.'"

Lois shook her head. "In your dreams, Olsen. In your dreams."

Last edited by bakasi; 11/25/22 06:23 PM.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool