url=https://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/292983/so-far-away-by-ksarasara-wip#Post292983]TOC found here[/url]

I heard this cover of My Girl (YouTube link) and… it was like the epilogue just appeared in my head fully formed. I wrote this when I was probably only half done with this story, if that…and I hardly changed a word. If you’re so inclined, I’d love for you to listen to this song before (or even after) you read the epilogue because I feel like it’ll just make it that much more magical. laugh

Epilogue
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
May 17, 1997
3 Months Since Clark Came Home

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There was a light breeze accompanying the temperate late-spring weather. Their blanket was spread out over the grass in an out-of-the-way part of the Kent farm, and she and Clark were enjoying their last days of living in Smallville. Lois lay on her back next to Clark and took in the wonder and expanse of the sky above her, a brilliant blue with sparse clouds so starkly white and distinct they looked like actual cotton in the distance.

It'd been about two months since Clark started therapy and their counterparts got settled in Metropolis, after a press conference announcing Superman and Clark's return. Things were hard...but good. Oh, so good. Her heart had never been so full.

A gummy smile glided into her field of vision from beside her. “Look, Mommy! I can fly!” came Clark’s sing-songing. Kallie kicked her legs and arms in the air, gurgling happily.

Lois laughed freely, feeling the warmth and steady thrum of their love in her chest, every day just a little less tinged with grief and sadness. “Let’s hope you don’t start flying until you’re older, bug.”

“Mommy, why are you laughing?” Clark intoned, his voice still high and playful, his arms stretched to keep Kallie above Lois’ face.

Lois laughed again, and Kallie reacted by laughing and squealing herself. Clark brought Kallie back, straight over his body, and Lois shifted onto her side and scooched back a bit so she had a better view of her little family.

Clark started singing, his voice gentle but rumbling and off-key, “I don’t need no money...fortune, or fame...I’ve got all the riches, baaabyyyy one man can claim...” He brought Kallie down for a kiss on her cheek before raising her up again, letting her enjoy the sensation of “flying” in the air.

Lois’ heart squeezed and she felt as though her chest would overflow with all the love and all the hope.

“I guess...you’d say...what can make me feel this way?” he crooned slightly out of tune. “My girl.... myyyy girl.... talking ‘bout my girl.”

Tone deaf, she thought, but sexy and adorable. She grinned broadly as she watched him interact so freely with their daughter.

“I heard that,” he said in mock-accusation, looking over and quirking an eyebrow at her.

She ducked her head and blushed a bit. The telepathy was still taking some getting used to. “You heard the sexy part, too, right?” she said, trying to save herself. “Sexy and adorable?”

<<And mine,>> she told him.

He flashed her a devastating smile as he brought Kallie down to rest on his chest, his eyes glistening with a hint of moisture and a twinkle of mischief. He leaned towards her and she followed him in, their lips meeting in the middle for a slow, sweet kiss.

The road ahead was still impossibly long and often felt unfair—his healing had only just begun. But seeing him like this, feeling him like this, so close and within her heart—she knew, knew everything would be okay in the end.

The End

Comments

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.