[Chapter 9: Mend]

[Metropolis - 9:15 pm (2:15 am in Puerto del Esperanza, Spain)]

Lois jumped when the phone rang and answered it mid-second ring.

"Hello?" she asked from her bedroom as she quickly muted the television.

‘Good evening. It's Mav. He's awake and they're expecting he'll leave on his own at sunrise, which will be in about five hours. They feel it'll be best for him to go to a more secluded place, so he’ll be headed home, wherever that is, to recover. His aura is still extremely reactive but is doing better than earlier today.’

"Thank goodness," Lois breathed.

‘I’ll make a statement tomorrow after he’s left and after Dr. Klein is on his way back,’ he continued.

“So he is getting better? I mean, his aura is healing?” Lois asked.

‘He is improving, but we don’t know how long it’ll take for his aura to heal, or if it’ll completely recover eventually. Dr. Klein hopes it will, but he said the best thing to do now is to let him rest and to limit the amount of people near him as his body repairs his aura,’ Mav said.

“Okay, thanks for keeping me posted,” Lois said. “I can’t really thank you enough.”

‘It’s no problem, Ms. Lane. You’re on Kal’s contact list, and that list is pretty short,’ he said with a soft chuckle.

Lois allowed herself to relax on her bed, her worry abating as they wrapped up the conversation.

“Good-bye,” she said, before hanging up and taking a deep breath.

She looked around her room, trying to decide what to do. Her suitcase was already mostly packed in front of her, so she picked up the phone again as she mentally checked off what else she might need.

“Hi, it’s Lois,” she said, instantly recognizing Jonathan’s voice. “He should be heading to you in about five hours, Mav just called me,” she said abruptly before giving a summation of what Mav had told her.

“I’m packing right now and will be heading to Smallville as soon as I’m done,” Lois said after answering a few questions. “Hopefully I’ll be there before noon tomorrow.”

‘We’ll have a bed ready for you,’ Martha assured.

Lois hesitated, but then realized the last thing she wanted was to have to travel from a hotel to the farm every day while Clark was there.

“Thank you, Martha. I’ll call you as soon as I get the rental and begin driving from Wichita,” she said, before the Kents thanked her again and they bid each other good night.

After calling Perry and telling him she was going to be using some of her use-or-lose vacation time, Lois set out to the airport that hour. Fortunately Perry didn’t push back too hard, likely because she had promised to call if she heard from Kal-El, but with the Foundation promising a statement in the morning, the Planet could do without her for a week or so.

O o O o O

[7:33 am in Puerto del Esperanza, Spain (2:33 am in Metropolis)]

“Are you confident about leaving and getting home on your own?” Klein asked as Kal stood up after getting his boots on.

“Once I’m in the atmosphere, I don’t think I’ll have much trouble. My aura, essence, whatever, seems more reactive to living beings than to anything else,” Kal said. “And the tingling is much more bearable now than last night.”

“The path to the roof is clear now,” Dr. Alcon said. “Ready?”

“Yes. Thank you,” Kal said as they exited the room and began making their way down the hall. “Please thank everyone who helped me yesterday.”

“Of course,” she said with a smile. “And, again, thank you so much. Francis and I are especially grateful.” She couldn’t really express it fully in words. The loss of her burn scars and Francis’ COPD meant so much. At the very least it provided a new lease on life.

Superman nodded his understanding before turning to Dr. Klein. “Bernie, I’ll contact the Foundation once I've settled. Shouldn't be more than an hour from now," he said.

"Why so long?" Klein asked, having expected it to be within fifteen minutes. After all, he could easily circle the globe in less than five minutes.

"My mom will insist I eat something before doing anything else," he said with a helpless but amused shrug as they entered the elevator.

“I like your mom,” Klein stated as Dr. Alcon looked on curiously.

The world knew Superman had a human family somewhere who had raised him, but hearing evidence of it directly was certainly a treat.

Kal chuckled. “Maybe one day you’ll meet her,” he said before the elevator announced its arrival to the top floor with a ding.

They went down a final hall and stepped out onto the roof and into the sun. Kal stopped a yard beyond the double doors less than a hundred feet from the helicopter pad.

Lifting his face toward the sun, he closed his eyes and basked in its rays.

"Much better than the sunlamps, I take it?" Klein asked.

"Yes and no," he said, relaxing after a grimace. "It feels nice but it sort of hurts at the same time,” he said.

“What hurts?” Klein asked.

“It’s hard to describe. The tingling is more pronounced, and there’s a . . . scratchy feeling? But it’s going on and off all over.”

“Sounds sort of like a healing scab,” Alcon pointed out.

Klein nodded. “Call me if it gets worse, but, like Dr. Alcon, I suspect it's part of the healing process.”

“Alright,” Kal said before walking forward again. “Thanks again.”

With that, he launched himself into the sky and disappeared in a blur, a sonic boom trailing after him.

O o O o O

[1:42 am in Smallville (7:42 am in Puerto del Esperanza, Spain)]

Martha heard the sonic boom and hurried out the back door with Jonathon close behind.

She slowed down as she saw him land, uncertain about the condition of his aura, but he was already walking toward her with his arms wide open and his red cape flapping behind him.

She needed no further invitation and made it off the porch, and that's when she felt it.

It was like passing through a thin veil, and beyond it lay warmth and power. She kept moving forward, undeterred as she finally embraced her son under the early morning stars. She felt Jonathan embrace him along with her, one of his arms around her shoulders as his other wrapped around Clark.

"I didn't expect you two to be awake," Clark said, seemingly oblivious to the foreign sensations currently brushing against and through her.

It was smoother than silk and pleasantly warm, but oddly not quite in terms of temperature. It both encompassed her and went within her, like heat and water, and yet more tangible and intangible than either.

She could feel his happiness and relief, but through this newfound aspect of himself she could also feel his discomfort and worry.

"Lois has been keeping us updated. She told us when to expect you," she said, trying not to get too emotional as her own relief mixed with his ebbing from his form.

"But are you okay? I can feel . . . This is your aura, I take it?" Jonathan asked, still not yet pulling back, which was just as well.

“Yes. Just–” Clark grimaced, “–It’s about to pulse. Don't get scared; I’ll be okay.”

Martha frowned at his warning but couldn't ask him what he meant as a surge of energy suddenly coursed through her, leaving her both breathless and revitalized.

"Clark?!" she cried, feeling him go completely limp in her arms as his head dropped gently against her shoulder.

"Hold him, Martha!" Jonathan shouted.

She did as he said, despite the slippery material of his uniform. Fortunately, they managed to keep him upright together as the energy pulled back into him by their contact a few seconds later.

"Clark?" Jonathan asked.

"Sorry," Clark whispered after a moment, still relying heavily on them for balance but now no longer in danger of collapsing. "Just give me a moment."

They didn't move, patiently waiting for him to regain stability.

"Okay. I'm okay now," he said, straightening.

“How often is that happening?” Jonathan asked.

“It only happens when I’m around people my aura hasn’t touched before. Bernie is working on understanding what it does exactly but . . . you both should be feeling pretty good right now,” he said, smiling sheepishly at them.

“Clark, what is it doing to you?” Martha asked pointedly.

“Martha, let’s get him inside before we question him,” Jonathan suggested, earning a chuckle from Clark.

They got him into the house without trouble and after he sped into some more comfortable clothing, they were seated around the kitchen table.

“You’re sure you don’t want to sleep?” Martha asked.

“I woke up roughly an hour ago, Mom,” he said, amused.

“Oh. Right. Well then, what’s happening with your aura? Lois told us some, but it didn’t sound like Mav knew much,” Martha said.

“The only way I can describe it is that it's been torn and stretched out. I don't know how much you can feel, but parts of it are like wide ribbons because of how it's torn," Clark said.

"I can feel it," Martha assured as Jonathan nodded.

Clark continued. "I think I need to learn how to control it to help it heal. Right now it’s too . . . spread out. There’s also the issue of what it does when it detects . . . well, injuries in people I’m near. Bernie theorized that because it’s extending from my body, it essentially thinks anything it contacts is me and if it senses an injury, old or new, it’ll release some energy to heal it. That’s what happened a few times after I collapsed in the square,” Clark explained. “And what happened a few minutes ago off the back porch.”

“When you extended your aura out to save those people from the bomb, it tore pretty badly, didn’t it?” Jonathan asked, though it was barely a question.

“Yes. I just . . . I didn’t want to see anyone else die. The flooding in Indonesia. . . . When I saw the blast and realized I was about to be too late again . . . I don’t know. I just pushed.”

“Oh, Clark,” Martha said, squeezing his hand.

“How do you two feel?” he asked, wanting to shift the conversation away from himself.

“Good. Like I’m twenty years younger, if I’m honest. Why are you looking nervous?” Jonathan asked, his eyes narrowing.

“Check your scars,” Clark muttered.

Jonathan frowned but looked his hands over, his eyes quickly scanning for the old familiar scar on the side of his thumb he had gotten from a saw and the little faded burn scar on his forefinger.

“They’re gone!” he gasped.

“I’m pretty sure your bad knee will be fine now too,” Clark said. “And likely your cholesterol will be better as well. Best of all, Dad, your heart will be stronger.”

Jonathan stopped. Realizing he was not as winded as he would normally be after running to his son. A soft smile of gratitude came to his face.

“Is this permanent?!” Martha breathed.

“Bernie thinks so. Any injuries healed will stay healed. The doctor treating me in Spain had old burn scars on over a quarter of her body. They’re all gone now,” Clark admitted.

“Is it hurting you?” Martha asked, her eyes narrowing.

Clark sighed, knowing there was no avoiding this interrogation.

“Kind of. That’s why I had to leave the hospital. As soon as the sun was up, they cleared a path for me to the roof. You two are the only people I’ve encountered since I left. With that said, it is getting better. It wasn’t as bad here as it was in the hospital. And contact is definitely important. It’s nowhere near as draining. I also think I’m learning how to . . . guide it, I suppose?”

“So this aura is another ability," Jonathan concluded, latching on to that fact because it was something they were familiar with. They had helped him figure out how to control all of his other abilities. This would be no different.

"That's how I'm going to look at it. There's also something else," Clark said, looking at his dad as he closed his mouth. /I can do this with it./

Martha and Jonathan both startled, hearing their son’s voice in their minds.

"You figured it out?! Telepathy?” Martha gasped, excited. He had been trying to figure out how to do it since he had accidentally thought to Mayson.

Clark smiled. “Yeah. It surprised the nurse pretty bad, but. . . .” He shrugged.

“Well, I’m glad you seem to already be getting a hold of this,” Martha said before standing up. “But before we go on, you need to eat something. I doubt the hospital food was all that great.”

Clark chuckled. “I knew you'd feed me, which reminds me, I need to call the Foundation and let them know I'm set."

"Okay, while you do that, I'll get started on a hearty breakfast for you. How does buttermilk pancakes, scrambled eggs, and fresh orange juice and coffee sound?" Martha asked, hurrying to the stove as Jonathan retrieved the cordless phone for Clark.

“Heavenly,” Clark replied.

O o O o O

Lois pulled up in the rental, grateful to finally be at the Kents.

Getting out of the car, Jonathan stepped out of the house and made his way to her as she got her suitcase and backpack from the trunk.

“So good to see you again, Lois," he greeted. "How was the trip?”

“Not too bad, considering I booked the flight at the last minute. I was lucky and got a helpful lady at the front desk,” she said before glancing at the house. “How is he?”

“Improving. He’s waiting for you in the living room,” he said.

“Oh good,” she said as Jonathan offered to carry her things. She gratefully handed over her backpack. “Thanks.”

“Just put the suitcase down when you first get in. As soon as you enter the house, you need to go to Clark,” he said.

“He’s that anxious to see me?” she asked, happy and curious.

Jonathan smiled but shook his head. “He’s certainly glad you’re here, but that’s not the reason. His aura will likely react to you and it’s better for him if you’re close when it happens.”

She stilled. “Oh. Did it happen with you and Martha?”

“Yes, but it was over quickly and touching him definitely helped,” he explained before telling her what had happened when he had first arrived.

“Wow,” she said, following him up to the porch.

"Yeah, it was something. Oh, before I forget, Martha will be back in a bit. She went into town to pick up a few things," he said, opening the door for her.

She entered before setting the suitcase down and hurrying to the living room as instructed.

“Clark!” she said happily.

He was sitting on the couch, waiting for her. And then she felt it. Like a thin cloth, it brushed against her face before encircling her whole frame as she continued forward. Understanding this sensation was his aura galvanized her movement and she all but rushed to his side.

They quickly embraced and the airy substance around her hummed in delight and love.

“I was so worried. Perry wouldn’t let me go,” she said.

“I know, but it was good you didn’t. They wouldn’t have let you see me anyway,” Clark said, his cheek against hers, his stubble tickling her skin.

She sighed, knowing he was right. “So how are you feeling?” she asked, about to pull away.

“Wait,” he whispered, pulling her closer to himself. She didn’t resist.

He sagged against her and she gasped at the spike of pressure in the air. She held him until it passed, the dense energy soaking in and out of her like the surge of an ocean surf.

"Clark?" she asked. She of course knew what that had been, but it was still a little scary.

"I'm okay," he said, taking a deep breath. "It's getting easier."

"Your aura?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said, easing back on the couch.

Lois quickly cuddled against his side, tired from traveling and worrying.

“I’ve decided I’ll begin experimenting with it tomorrow, if you want to help,” he said after a moment. “I’ve already begun to get the hang of one aspect of it.”

“You have?” Lois asked, meeting his eyes.

/Yeah. What do you think?/ he thought to her.

She gasped, earning a chuckle from him. “Telepathy?”

“Yeah. It’s not completely dependent on the aura, but it’s connected.”

“That time you thought to Mayson,” Lois realized. “Your aura had been damaged then.”

“That’s right.”

“Can you hear my thoughts?” she asked.

“If I can, I haven’t heard them yet,” he said.

“Hm. That’s probably a good thing,” she muttered.

He smirked. "You're probably right."

"Hey!" she complained, before they broke into laughter.

O o O o O

The earth continued to turn as the days went by, although many around the world eagerly awaited updates from the Foundation about Superman’s recovery.

Lois was grateful Mav had that handled. Clark, or Kal-El rather, called Dr. Klein every other day to give him an update and Mav would then update the world.

Continuing with Kal's policy of being as upfront and honest as possible, for good or ill, Mav disclosed the condition of Kal's aura to the public. He also clarified what had already been revealed by the press in the early reports of Superman’s collapse and later rumors from the hospital. Admittedly, trying to hide his condition now would be impossible and very counterproductive. The world had already seen what had happened and knew he was in a bad way. However, even with the Foundation's honesty, speculation was still happening.

Lois flipped the channel and stopped on an interview being conducted by MNN (Metropolis News Network).

“So Superman’s powers rely on his aura?” the host asked. Lois recognized him as a former LNN news anchor. Kyle, she believed, was his name.

“I think it goes beyond just his abilities,” the guest speaker said. He appeared to be a doctor of some sort, but Lois could only guess as to his true credentials. With these sorts of things, it was often hit and miss. But in either case, it was clear the news station believed it made for good television.

“Beyond his abilities?” Kyle asked.

“Yes. I think his life depends on his aura," the host stated very seriously.

"Are you saying he could have died from what had happened?" Kyle asked, surprised.

"I cannot know, of course, but I strongly suspect that is the case. By now I'm sure we've all seen the video from Spain, and we’ve all heard the updates from the Foundation. They were very quick in getting him isolated, and the reports from the hospital make it clear why. It took energy to heal those people on his way to and in the hospital, just like it took energy to protect those people from the blast. I think it stands to reason he was in trouble, which is why Germany provided those sunlamps so quickly,” the doctor theorized. “Everyone has their limits, even Superman. He said so himself.”

Lois turned the television off.

While she was glad the general public expressed concern and made it clear they fully supported Superman taking whatever time he needed to recover, it still made her uncomfortable to hear their blunt talk.

It was utterly bizarre to hear people discuss her boyfriend's medical condition so openly and in-depth. She was just glad that the telepathy development was being kept under wraps, though knowing Clark, if he felt the world was better off knowing, he'd tell them. She really did wonder how he had such faith in the human race, but then, perhaps setting high expectations encouraged people to do better than they might have otherwise.

She sighed.

She could only imagine how Martha and Jonathan felt with everything, especially when people speculated where Superman was recovering and how his human family might be helping.

If only they knew!

Every morning, Jonathan and Clark would go out into the field with her and practice extending and retracting his aura. At first, consciously shifting his aura was very hard, but now that it was well on its way to being fully healed, things were getting easier. It helped that as time went on his aura was naturally pulling in instead of randomly fluttering out, so they were hopeful that eventually he wouldn't need to consciously reign in his aura anymore. Which meant, until he no longer needed to worry about accidentally 'reaching out' with his aura, his life as Clark was pretty much confined to his parents' farm. Fortunately, he didn't have a normal 9 to 5 job and no active cases he was working on. He also had already called those who would wonder where he was, specifically Inspector Henderson.

Henderson was pleased to learn Clark was traveling with his girlfriend. He had said Clark deserved a vacation, especially if it was with Lois.

Lois smiled. Bill may be difficult, and a little cranky at times, but she suspected that beneath all that grumpy exterior beat the heart of a true romantic.

She was about to get up and see if Martha needed her to pick anything up from the store for dinner when she felt what was now becoming familiar to her.

“Making progress?” she asked as she felt Clark’s aura wrap around her like a hug as he entered the room.

“I think so,” he said with a quiet smile before closing his eyes.

His essence shifted around her like a blanket of silk.

“You’re getting better at controlling it,” she said as she approached and hugged him for real.

He hummed. “I can feel it coming back together, knitting itself.”

She grinned as his power pulsed, releasing a soothing thrum of energy that echoed from his frame, into hers, and then back into him.

"I can feel your confidence," she said, looking up at him.

"Anything else?" he asked, grinning back.

"Your relief and . . . " she grew shy, "your love."

"You're right," he said, kissing her softly on the forehead before bowing his head and bringing his lips down to hers. This touching of bodies with the aura increasing their bliss gave Lois a little frisson of sensuous pleasure as they deepened the kiss, exploring the growing desire they shared.

Only when Clark knew she needed air did he pull back, though both of them were breathing heavily.

"Wow," Lois breathed. "That aura of yours is something else."

"Yeah," Clark agreed, before turning and gently guiding her to the back door.

"Where are we going?" she asked curiously as she put on a heavy barn jacket and scarf.

"Outside," he said mischievously.

O o O o O

Lois and Clark cut across the back field of the Kent Farm, although Lois was a little confused about where they were going and why, at least at first. They came to a stop before the big Sycamore tree. The late Fall air was brisk but fresh and clean, and chimes from the back porch could be heard.

"Lois," he said, taking her hands in his. "I don't think I can wait another day to do this. I love you more than I ever thought I would anyone," he said, before retrieving a box from his pocket. "With everything that's happened, I hope you can forgive me for doing this sooner rather than later."

Lois gasped as he went down to one knee.

"Lois, will you marry me?" he asked. He presented her with a beautiful diamond ring, its many facets twinkling in the starlight.

"Yes! Definitely yes!" she cried, trying to keep her hand steady as he carefully placed her engagement ring on.

As soon as it was on, she all but attacked him, kissing him profusely and trailing her hands over him. Once they had both calmed, he placed his forehead against hers, chuckling.

"Wow, if I had known you would react like that I would have asked you sooner," Clark said.

"I think your timing was perfect," she said.

"I had planned on proposing after the Pulitzer Award Ceremony, but then changed my mind," Clark said.

"After what's happened, I'm glad you didn't decide to wait any longer, especially that long," Lois admitted. "Although now this means we'll have to tell my parents."

"Do they not already know about me?" he asked, surprised.

"I just told my sister last week. I've been holding out for as long as possible. When you meet them, you'll know why. I just hope you don't back out afterwards," she said, both teasing and not.

"Well, would it be better to invite them for Christmas and just rip it all off like a band aid?" Clark asked.

"Only if you want to ruin Christmas," she said with a groan. “They often make every occasion into a fight.”

"That bad?" Clark asked, eyes wide.

"Was when I was little, but then, I didn't have you," she said honestly.

Clark smiled sadly at her as she sighed. And then she shook her head firmly, as if suddenly deciding something.

“You know what, let’s do that. Let’s invite them both, and your parents too,” she said.

“For Christmas dinner?” he asked, hoping he was following.

“Yeah, though I’ll buy the food, you’ll prepare,” she decided.

Clark laughed.

“Okay. Let’s do that,” he agreed, grinning. “But first, let’s give my parents the good news.”

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 04/18/22 09:28 PM.