Print Thread
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Let me know what you thought! Story is here.

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This was beautiful and I loved it! mecry

I'm also so honored to have played a part in the creation of your first TOGOM fix! ^_^

Also, that is *the* most hilarious direction I've ever seen the Cheese of the Month excuse go in, possibly even topping the Random Excuse Button. rotflol

~•~
T
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
T
Loved it! So angsty (my favourite) and the appearance of the cheese was perfect.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've pretty much said already all I had to say, but I have to reiterate, the Cheese of the Month being real just about killed me!

Wonderful story! Keep up the great work! sloppy

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a touching story; you handled the emotions in it brilliantly.

I've long thought that writing a TOGoM story is almost a rite of passage to becoming an L&C fanfic author. Welcome to the club. smile

Features Writer
Features Writer
Awwww, the feels......

I really liked this realistic examination of their feelings and Lois' perception of it all. It made a lot of sense. And I'm especially glad for the happy ending hyper

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
First off, welcome to the TOGoM club!

Great fic, love how it's got all the feels and that we get it from both sides. I always love when the Cheese of the Month Club is actually real too. Touching and well done story!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Part of me wants to never move from this spot, so safe and comforting. But the growling of my stomach ends the moment too soon. His chuckle rumbles in his chest and against my cheek, and I can't help but laugh too, a pleasant release after the roaring tide of emotions.

I raise my head up to look at him. "You said something about quesadillas?"

All this talk about cheese and quesadillas is making me hungry. There's a healthy chunk of Gouda in the fridge. Tonight might be a good time to make a pasta dish with gouda! (Morgana goes off and thumbs through her recipes...)

Ooops! I wanted to comment! Welcome to the TOGOM club. Sadly, I am not a member, but have definitely enjoyed reading the different author's takes on that particular episode over the years. It was great to read Lois' thoughts and then Clark's. He is such a lunkhead!

Hope the quesadillas were good Lois! wink

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K

Queen—Yay!! And lol, yes, you shall forever be responsible for my first TOGOM. lol And thank you! I knew immediately that the title called for the cheese…and I think I knew from the start the cheese was real. wink I’m not sure it beats bakasi’s Random Excuse Button, though! rotflol

Toomi—Yay! Glad I could give you a small dose of angst. laugh

Anna—Haha, yes! I love that so many people are loving the cheese being real. That’s the best part. lol

Lynn—Oh, thank you! I’m glad the emotions worked well! And haha thanks for the welcome to the TOGOM club. I never thought I’d be a member. lol

Blueowl—I’m glad you liked it, especially Lois’ perspective! You have to wonder why more of his excuses didn’t set her investigating! (Uh oh…I think a plot bunny just spawned…) And yes, I think I always need a happy ending!

Deadly Chakram—haha thanks for the welcome to the club!! I never thought I’d be here. I’m amused that it took me 27 years from the time I started writing L&C fic; is there a prize of some sort for that? lol And thank you so much for the kind words! I worried when it was first person that we wouldn’t get both sides, but then next thing you know, Superman’s boots were landing in his apartment in his POV. Whew! I’m glad it worked out!

Morgana—Sorry to distract you with all the cheese talk! lol I’m glad you enjoyed the story!

Thanks, everyone!! love

Sara smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

C
Blogger
Blogger
C
Love it, see everything is better with cheese even TOGoM.

Nice ending, love the way we get to see both sides while as they deal with the situation.

K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Captainscout—So happy you enjoyed! smile I loved that we got both sides too—I was sure originally that the muse was going there, but I’m sure glad she did!! Thanks for the feedback! smile

P
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
P
A new TOGOM to add to my favorites! Really fine job on the present tense POV from both Lois and Clark. You pulled that off marvelously. It made the story feel somehow richer; weightier maybe because you covered a lot of ground especially with Lois.

Because of the way Lois recalled her entire history with Clark, I realized something important about their relationship.

I think I'm in love with you.

I'm not sure where it came from or when it snuck up on me, because it definitely snuck up on me.

I definitely wasn't in love with you when we went to Smallville and your parents both teased and fawned over me even after I insulted them. And when you almost died at the hands of that delusional man, Jason Trask.

I definitely hadn't become attached to you or addicted to your presence when you threatened to leave Metropolis along with Superman during the heatwave.

I definitely wasn't attracted to you when we were sprayed with that pheromone perfume. Not remotely attracted. Only...infinitesimally. And definitely not, because you didn't seem to be attracted in return.

I definitely wasn't aroused and confused after that kiss in the honeymoon suite. That was just for cover. Nothing significant about that.

When the world was ending...I definitely didn't regret hiding my too big and too scary feelings from you. Because, in the end, the world didn't end.

And when...my world was ending, it definitely didn't hurt me that you didn't show up to the wedding I didn't want to have. I definitely didn't think about you before the ceremony or say your name with mine like they belonged together.

And I definitely didn't think of you and only you as I was walking down the aisle toward another man. An apparently obviously evil man, obvious to everyone in my social circle but me.

I could go on. And on. Because we've known each other for a year and a half now. If I'd loved you at all in that time, I would have known.

And it wouldn’t have devastated, crushed, and damn near killed me when you died last week.

Nope. Because being in love with you definitely snuck up on me.

The above opened my eyes to the fact that maybe I shouldn't be so hard on Clark for waiting so long to come clean with Lois. I just never could be okay with how long he lied to Lois. But in reality, Lois lied too! To Clark and herself--about her feelings. She "definitely did" love him all that time!!

Sara, you did an amazing job of relating the emotions that come from being hurt by someone you love; and how difficult it can be to overcome that devastation. It’s like a trapped feeling between love and hate.

I hate him and I love him. He hurts me and he heals me. He's such a contradiction, but I can't think beyond the basics—that I am hurting and I need him to hold me.

"I know. I'm so sorry, Lois. So sorry," he rasps out between shaky breaths, and I hold him tightly once more.

And it doesn't make sense. None of it makes sense. He's the one who hurt me. I don't even know...can't even begin to know how to process this.

"I don't know what to do, Clark. What do I do? What do we do?" I'm whispering again because I'm not sure if my voice even works properly.

"I don't know. I'm so sorr—"

I smack him hard right on the S, somehow not hurting myself, my hand against a steel chest, and I know he must be protecting me even now, especially now. But it doesn't protect me from the anger. "Stop saying sorry!" I yell, sitting up straighter now to look at him. "I know you're sorry. Make it better, Clark. Fix it. Don't be sorry. Fix it."

But Clark couldn't fix it. He could only be sorry about his painful mistakes. The only way to redeem their future together means Lois has to forgive; move past it all. And so she does. It's Lois Lane to the rescue!

This story has it all--the feels, angst and humor. Well done. notworthy So glad you like happy endings too! It could easily have gone the other way

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hi Sara!
And thank you to KathyB, who is my official (she doesn't know it's official) summary writer!
laugh

Lois holds grudges and Clark makes excuses, two indisputable facts.
I’m so flashing to Game of Thrones with the grudges-holding by perky women.

But when the two collide, will they find their way through to the other side?
Can Clark excuse himself out of the grudge?

Maybe you think I don't notice, that I don't catalog these excuses of yours. Okay, so I don't catalog them or even write them down.
She could do a spreadsheet, color code them, calculate statistics, and extrapolate patterns.

I hold grudges, Clark. You should know this already. Do you take that into account when you're planning your escape from me and spinning up your next lie?
Does he bring food and chocolate when he returns?

Do you realize the wrath you’re risking?

Do you realize that it’s impossible to hold a grudge against you?
Awwww

except for the part where you run away from me when I'm trying to let you in.
He’s scared of crossing the intimacy threshold.

But I do trust you.
She trusts him even though he lies and she knows he does.
LOIS: Why do you think I’m so ticked off?

I'm not sure where it came from or when it snuck up on me, because it definitely snuck up on me.
Awwww…just like Lois snuck up on Lex.

I definitely wasn't attracted to you when we were sprayed with that pheromone perfume.
Gaawww she’s such a contradiction on herself

And definitely not, because you didn't seem to be attracted in return.
Is that an incorrect comma?
(Asks someone who places commas when ever it is allowed by grammar rules. It just felt strange here from the speech pattern and the conveyed intention)

definitely wasn't aroused and confused after that kiss in the honeymoon suite. That was just for cover. Nothing significant about that.
Yes. Uh-huh. Oh, you mean the kiss on the show, not the one that was written about elsewhere. Yes, that, too.

I definitely didn't think about you before the ceremony or say your name with mine like they belonged together.
Um…what about that CCTV video with audio I have sitting here?

I didn't know. I didn't know then that it wasn't real, that you were still alive.
You really snuck that revelation in there!

But...there it is. Just sitting there staring at me, staring up at me from your kitchen table with the rest of your mail, asking me why you abandoned it instead of putting it in the fridge. How should I know? You abandon me all the time, and I never know why.
clap

But she doesn't look altogether surprised to see me in my apartment wearing a cape.
She figured out Superman is Clark’s special friend.

The importance and weight of the choice hangs heavy in my chest and my throat as I think of what I can possibly say.
“Want some cheese? It's from Clark’s latest Cheese of the Month delivery.”

Why did I wave? Why can't I breathe?
He's royalty, they wave to the common people. And the breathing, hmmm … Lois’s presence sucks all the air out of the room?

"I opened your cheese," she says quietly, almost apologetically.
Duh! That's why he can't breathe.

Or does she want to talk about cheese? I don't want to talk about cheese.
Oh, so cute!

Is she talking to Superman or Clark? "Are you hungry?" I move toward the kitchen almost automatically. I don't know what to do, but I can make her food. "I can make you a quesadilla, some queso flamea—"
He should pretend to be Clark and that Lois has known for a long time.

She trails off, her eyes focusing intently on the box the cheese had come in.
Trying to put her feelings in a box?

My breath catches again as I watch her stand and come to wrap her arms around me.
Maybe she’s wearing a locket with green kryptonite.

I hate him and I love him. He hurts me and he heals me. He's such a contradiction, but I can't think beyond the basics—that I am hurting and I need him to hold me.
clap also dysfunctional codependency?

Make it better, Clark. Fix it. Don't be sorry. Fix it."
laugh kiss her to make the bad memories go away?

"I mean...can you change, please?" I gesture at his suit, the bold red and blue too loud to bear right now.
laugh

and I long to be back in his arms. I can't figure out how to get back there, though. My heart is in my throat, terrified that there isn't a way back.
awwww

Even though he lied. Even though he made a horrifically painful mistake. Even though he was the one who hurt me.
Oh that’s going to be fun when he breaks you with her for her own good.

I raise my head up to look at him. "You said something about quesadillas?" The End
awwwwwwwww

End Notes: For decades, I avoided the fate that apparently befalls all FoLC fanfic authors: I was hit with my first TOGOM story. Quite unexpectedly. I just meant to write about the Cheese of the Month...but turns out that excuse was used just the week after TOGOM, so I managed to run headlong into Angstville. And here we are.
Huh, true. Hmm…I haven’t yet. Then again, I may have done one or two evil endings so does anyone *really* want *me* to take a shot at TOGoM? Aaaanyhow, this was a fun tale with great prose!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
Huge thanks to Darth_Michael for his feedback so that I can address the terrible oversight in not responding to Penny_Lane’s amazing feedback!!! I remember seeing in my email notifications at the time and reading it there, Penny, but must have totally forgotten to actually come to the boards and respond! Sorry!

Originally Posted by Penny_Lane
A new TOGOM to add to my favorites! Really fine job on the present tense POV from both Lois and Clark. You pulled that off marvelously. It made the story feel somehow richer; weightier maybe because you covered a lot of ground especially with Lois.

Thank you! It was definitely not familiar territory, and AnnaBtG helped so much!! I’m glad it worked so well! smile

Because of the way Lois recalled her entire history with Clark, I realized something important about their relationship.

…(trimmed the story quote)

The above opened my eyes to the fact that maybe I shouldn't be so hard on Clark for waiting so long to come clean with Lois. I just never could be okay with how long he lied to Lois. But in reality, Lois lied too! To Clark and herself--about her feelings. She "definitely did" love him all that time!!

Oh, thank you!! As I’ve rewatched the series and then rewatched scenes for story research (writing SOOO much!!), I’ve noticed just how much there is and how early on it is! There’s one line in So Far Away, Lois recalling… How she'd ever managed to keep her hands off this man for two years, then wait another year before making love to him for the first time, she'd never know./But then her heart squeezed with the feeling of utter yearning and loss, an echo of the sharp pangs of grief she'd felt at the beginning of their date.../She hadn't ever kept her hands off him, and there had never been a day gone by that he hadn't touched her, either.

And it wasn’t that they couldn’t keep their hands off each other in the desirous sense, but that they were always so close and so comfortable, that little touches just came naturally to them!

[quote=Penny_Lane]Sara, you did an amazing job of relating the emotions that come from being hurt by someone you love; and how difficult it can be to overcome that devastation. It’s like a trapped feeling between love and hate.

Gah! Thank you so much! I’m always trying to get the emotions just right to be evoke similar emotions in my readers, so I love that you’ve pointed this out!! smile

This story has it all--the feels, angst and humor. Well done. notworthy So glad you like happy endings too! It could easily have gone the other way

Oh, yes! Happy endings for sure! Thank again for such wonderfully detailed feedback—I’m sorry it took me so long to respond!

Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Maybe you think I don't notice, that I don't catalog these excuses of yours. Okay, so I don't catalog them or even write them down.
She could do a spreadsheet, color code them, calculate statistics, and extrapolate patterns.

Haha right??? I think if she really got mad enough and not derailed… she’d very well make him a power point presentation on how bad he is at lying and why he’s a jerk for it! lol

And definitely not, because you didn't seem to be attracted in return.
Is that an incorrect comma?
(Asks someone who places commas when ever it is allowed by grammar rules. It just felt strange here from the speech pattern and the conveyed intention)

It’s a rebelliously placed comma to make the reader pause, but also for clarity. Think of this sentence as being shortened (for tempo and pacing) from “And I definitely wasn’t attracted to you, because admitting that would be too vulnerable and scary because you didn’t seem to be attracted in return. grin

definitely wasn't aroused and confused after that kiss in the honeymoon suite. That was just for cover. Nothing significant about that.
Yes. Uh-huh. Oh, you mean the kiss on the show, not the one that was written about elsewhere. Yes, that, too.

Hahahaha! Sooooo many HiM and PML stories….

I didn't know. I didn't know then that it wasn't real, that you were still alive.
You really snuck that revelation in there!

I did! Pretty proud of that one! LOL!

But...there it is. Just sitting there staring at me, staring up at me from your kitchen table with the rest of your mail, asking me why you abandoned it instead of putting it in the fridge. How should I know? You abandon me all the time, and I never know why.
clap

I love this part… I think because people were more amused by it than I ever imagined—that the CHEESE WAS REAL! lol

End Notes: For decades, I avoided the fate that apparently befalls all FoLC fanfic authors: I was hit with my first TOGOM story. Quite unexpectedly. I just meant to write about the Cheese of the Month...but turns out that excuse was used just the week after TOGOM, so I managed to run headlong into Angstville. And here we are.
Huh, true. Hmm…I haven’t yet. Then again, I may have done one or two evil endings so does anyone *really* want *me* to take a shot at TOGoM?

It’s gotta hit you at some point! Apparently it’s the law! But first…you’d better get your muse to finish that PML story!! wink

Thank you so much for the laughs and for picking out some of my favorite lines to “awww” or “clap” at!

Sara smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Sara!
Haha right??? I think if she really got mad enough and not derailed… she’d very well make him a power point presentation on how bad he is at lying and why he’s a jerk for it!
That could be an...interesting fanfic experiment.

It’s a rebelliously placed comma to make the reader pause, but also for clarity.
lol

I love this part… I think because people were more amused by it than I ever imagined—that the CHEESE WAS REAL! lol
I just realized, re-reading the quote, what if Clark's a bit distracted and picks up Lois and puts her in the fridge instead of the cheese?

It’s gotta hit you at some point! Apparently it’s the law! But first…you’d better get your muse to finish that PML story!!
I was just recently thinking about said PML laugh

Thank you so much for the laughs and for picking out some of my favorite lines to “awww” or “clap” at!
smile1

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard