Story is set in season two, references to 'Seasons Greedings,' with a different outcome.

The three wants:
- Lois doesn't already know that Clark is Superman
- Find a way to include a song and/or its lyrics somehow
- Some sort of happy, WAFFy ending.

The three not wanted:
- No Lex, no villains.
- No drunken shenanigans; no drunken anything, really.
- Absolutely no mentions of pandemics or vaccines or face-masks whatsoever.

I really hope this is WAFFy enough smile1

November 28th

‘Santa Claus won’t make me happy with a toy on Christmas Day…”

Lois groaned as she flailed her arm around, trying to hit the alarm clock. What had possessed her to change the normally wildly irritating, blaring, alarm, to the radio? Awakening to Christmas music was not soothing; the incessant honking of the alarm was preferable.

Groaning, she rolled out of bed, turned the radio off, and wandered into the kitchen to start the coffee brewing while she got ready for work. Couldn’t the world wait until December 1st before force feeding everyone Christmas cheer, she grumbled as she retreated to the bathroom.

“Lois! What are you doing here so early? Got another headline to run?”

Lois barely contained her rolling eyes while glaring at Perry. “Not yet. I might have had something yesterday but I was told to stay home,” she snapped at him.

“Now, darlin, you know you have to use up some of your vacation. You were supposed to be off from Thanksgiving until today…”

“It’s not my fault Senator Friesen’s fraudulent charity was exposed this weekend, or would you rather the Star break that story?” Lois dumped her coat and bag on her desk, and stood, facing Perry, with her arms crossed in annoyance.

“You ok?” Perry asked kindly.

“I took Thanksgiving off. I sat at home all day,” eating junk food and watching movies, she thought to herself. “When Clark called me Friday night about the tip that had come in, I came in. You weren’t unhappy with me working when we handed you the story on Saturday night! Anyways, I didn’t need the time off, I only did it so Clark could have Christmas off to be with his folks…”

Perry began to back away from the desk, hands up in defeat. “You need to take vacation sometime, Lois. Try to use some before I have to force you to again.”

Lois bit back a retort as Perry walked towards his office. She’d been out of line, as she had been before, and would likely be again. Perry rarely called her out on it, letting her get away with the sharp edge of her temper more often than many others would. Sighing, she hung her coat up, and stared at her partners empty desk. Clark had worked over the holiday so he could have Christmas off, and now was having a day off. He wouldn’t be back in until tomorrow morning. At Christmas, he would be in Smallville with his parents, while she would be sitting at her desk working, hoping something interesting would happen. Coffee, she thought. More coffee and maybe she’d shake herself out of this funk she’d woken in. She stood and began to walk to the coffee machine, only to almost trip over Jimmy.

“Morning, Lois!” Jimmy exclaimed brightly.

“Mmm,” she grunted at him before registering what he was doing. “Decorations? Already?” She cried at him.

“Yeah, thought I’d get a head start on it now Thanksgiving is over. All the stores are putting up their lights too. Help us get into the spirit.”

She grabbed the garland he was about to attach to her desk. “Oh, no you don’t. I will not have that anywhere near my desk.”

“But…”

“No.”

“Everyone else’s desk will be decorated. Look!” Jimmy gestured around the newsroom and Lois spotted various people beginning to decorate. Someone was putting Christmas lights around Perry’s office door, there was shiny garland of every colour appearing on desks, and two of the runners were assembling the Christmas tree near the coffee machine.

“Except mine.” Lois grabbed her coat and bag. “If Perry needs me, I’ll be back in a bit,” she stated before stomping towards the elevator. She needed coffee and a place to think where she wasn’t surrounded by Christmas cheer.

December 2nd

“What do you have planned for Christmas?” Clark asked as he set her coffee down, before sitting across the table from her.

Lois was startled out of her thoughts by Clark’s question. The café was busy, loud music playing overhead, and Clark had been stuck waiting for their drinks long enough that her train of thought had derailed from their latest interview. “Nothing,” she answered shortly. “Have you spoken to Superman lately?”

“No,” Clark answered. “Why nothing?”

“If you see him, could you ask him to stop by?”

“Your apartment?”

Lois hesitated. “Or the Planet. Whenever he has time.” She’d prefer a visit from Superman at home rather than work; there would be fewer people trying to barge in on their conversation, or eavesdrop.

“Sure, and don’t think I didn’t notice that you avoided the Christmas question.”

“I’m not avoiding it,” she insisted. “I’m doing nothing because I’m working. Why make plans when I might have to cancel them last minute to go cover a story.” Good excuse, she congratulated herself. It was valid; she’d given the same excuse to her mother after the invite to her Christmas dinner. Clark merely raised an eyebrow before taking a sip of his coffee. He had seen through her excuse.

‘I won’t make a list and send it to the North Pole for Saint Nick…’

“Ugh, this song is driving me nuts. I can’t go a day without hearing it at least twenty times.” Ok, that was an over exaggeration, but it was being overplayed everywhere, she rationalized. She stood abruptly, and instantly noticed several young women approach their table.

“We’re leaving,” she addressed them bluntly. “Table’s all yours.” She briskly walked towards the exit, assuming Clark was right behind her.

December 6th

She’d flipped through every channel trying to find something that wasn’t Christmas related to watch. All the movies were the same, sappy, happy ending, and now it seemed the TV specials were going the same way. Frustrated, she turned off the television, and picked up her book, a murder mystery, something decidedly not Christmas related. Except, she couldn’t get into it. She’d already had to start over twice, which was frustrating as she had enjoyed the previous books in the series.

It had been a slow news week, nothing to sink her teeth into. A few small Superman rescues, but she had been no where near any of them. Even Clark hadn’t snagged a Superman exclusive in over a week, which was quite unusual for him.

Clark hadn’t bugged her about Christmas since that day in the café, thankfully. It wasn’t that she hated Christmas itself, but having it constantly shoved in front of her that Christmas was for happy families, Christmas romances, and material goods, was sickening. She’d done the unhappy Christmases as a kid, then the lonely Christmases in her late teens and early twenties. She was now content in the ignoring Christmas phase. This year she hadn’t bothered decorating her apartment, or even getting a tree. It just seemed like such a waste of money and time if it was just her at home.

Though, Clark had asked if she’d be joining in the Secret Santa at work this year. Perry had assigned the entire thing to Jimmy and he’d be gathering the names of those that wanted to participate, soon. If she wanted in, she’d have to decide quickly. It wouldn’t be so bad, maybe she’d get lucky and pick Clark’s name. He could use a good, classy, tie or two.

Putting the book back down on the coffee table, she turned the television on waiting for the news to start and headed to the bathroom. Heading back to the living room she heard the end of the teaser for the news.

‘I’m just going to keep waiting under the mistletoe…’

“…and finally, this year’s Christmas number one song…”

Lois reached for the remote and turned the mute on. She was so sick of this song already and there was still three weeks to go. Did people actually stand under mistletoe and wait to be kissed? What a ridiculous idea!

Who would she wait for, she thought idly? Just for a moment she imagined putting a sprig of mistletoe up and watching to see what Clark would do when he came over next.

Wait. Clark?

She laughed at the thought and then almost jumped out of her skin as she heard three soft taps on her window. Turning around she spotted the familiar red and blue, and went to open the window.

“I’m sorry, Lois. I didn’t mean to scare you,” Superman said, looking worried.

Lois waved her hand in a dismissal. “I’m fine. I must be tired. What can I do for you?” She asked as Superman stepped into her living room.

“Clark said you wanted to speak to me?”

Right, she’d forgotten about that. Images of Clark kissing her under the mistletoe began to fade as she tried to remember what she had wanted Superman for.

Christmas. Wasn’t she going to ask Superman what he was doing for Christmas? She caught him staring at her in concern and she blurted out the only thing that came to mind.

“Uh, I was hoping to get your thoughts on the fire at STAR Labs last week.”

He looked surprised. “Clark said you didn’t think there was a story there.”

She had said that to Clark. Did he tell Superman everything? “No story, just wondering if you had any further information.”

“No. Though if I come across anything, I’ll let you know.”

“Ok.” Lois shrugged.

“Are you sure you’re ok?”

Pull yourself together Lois! “Yes, I’m sure. Just busy at work, lots of things on my mind.” Like Clark, she thought briefly before banishing that image. “Thanks for stopping by.”

Superman smiled in acknowledgement before flying out of the window. She quickly closed the window to keep the warm air inside, before sinking onto the couch, thinking. She and Clark had repaired their friendship, and she’d forced herself to move on, helped by his rescinding his love for her all those months ago. They were finally in a good place; she didn’t want to jeopardize that.

December 19th

She tossed her bag down on the floor, removing her hat, scarf and coat, draping them on her chair. What had possessed her to wear white pants when it was so slushy out! She and Clark had been walking back from covering a press conference, and as the weather was fairly mild, had decided to walk back, stopping for lunch on the way. Then Clark had suddenly remembered some shopping and had dashed off, leaving her to walk back on her own. She’d slipped in some slush and while she hadn’t fallen on her rear, she had fallen into a pile of snow. Now there was a wet patch, and what she hoped was just dirt, on one leg.

Where was Clark! And what was that noise?

She turned towards the direction of the banging, and rolled her eyes at the sight. Jimmy, with some help, was attempting to assemble a booth of sorts, with a Secret Santa sign on top. She would have to put her name in today if she wanted to participate.

“Hey, are you hungry?”

She turned away from Jimmy to see her partner hanging up his coat, a paper bag on his desk.

“Well, my lunch date cancelled,” Lois said dryly. At least he had the sense to look chagrined.

“I stopped and got a few sandwiches. There’s turkey and stuffing, turkey and cranberry…”

Lois pulled a face. “Anything that isn’t half a Christmas dinner on bread in there?”

“Tuna?”

She accepted the sandwich from Clark’s outstretched hand, and began unwrapping the plastic wrap. “So where’s your gift?”

“mmf…sorry?” He said with a mouthful of sandwich.

“The super, important gift you had to rush off and buy? Where is it? Who is it for?”

“Uh, Secret Santa.”

She raised an eyebrow in skepticism. “The Secret Santa we haven’t signed up for yet?” At his deer in headlights stare, she took pity on him. As annoyed as she was that he ran off, he hadn’t been gone long this time, and had brought lunch. “Did you bring coffee too?”

He laughed as he handed her a coffee. “What’s Jimmy doing?”

“Building that Secret Santa booth. Apparently just handing names out isn’t enough anymore.”

He finished his sandwich and threw out the wrapping. “Are you joining in this year?”

She was torn. She had absolutely refused the last few years, always managing to be out of the office when the gifts were being distributed. Last year she remembered the look of disappointment from Clark as she hadn’t participated, and then vanished during the celebrations. “Maybe,” she started, watching as he broke into one of his brilliant smiles. “I haven’t decided yet.”

“I hope you do,” he said as he stood, gently rubbed her shoulder, before heading in Jimmy’s direction.

Phew, she thought, feeling suddenly warm. She’d been trying to forget her idle thoughts of Clark under the mistletoe for weeks now, and it wasn’t working. Every time he got close, touched her, or smiled at her, she felt her stomach flip flop and tingles travel up and down her spine, as they were doing now. Sipping her coffee she watched as Clark helped Jimmy assemble the remaining supports, daydreaming.

She’d already purchased Clark’s gift, and had planned on giving it to him on Christmas Eve at the end of their shift. However, she wondered if he’d have time before his flight home to come over for dinner? She could get a turkey, and do an actual Christmas dinner, as the Planet had run several holiday themed articles over the last week, two of them complete with instructions on cooking turkey.

“I don’t want a lot for Christmas, there is just one thing I need…”

As she began to compile a grocery list, she heard the now familiar opening lines to this years smash hit Christmas song. She smiled as she pondered the lyrics, staring at Clark as he rolled his shirt sleeves back down after finishing the Secret Santa booth for Jimmy. She didn’t want a lot for Christmas, and perhaps there was just one thing she really wanted.

December 23rd

Ok, she’d chickened out. Her nerves had got the best of her, which was ridiculous. She and Clark had invited each other over for meals more times than she could count. Why was Christmas Eve so different? This morning after he’d taken his coat off, she’d opened her mouth to ask him, and had instead told him she was entering the Secret Santa.

Now, she was sitting on the phone waiting for her father to answer. It seemed easier to invite her parents, sister, and friends, instead of just Clark. Though she still had to ask him.

What was taking so long? She’d spoken to three different people and no one seemed to know where her father was. Any longer and she’d hang up.

‘Santa Claus won’t make me happy with a toy on Christmas Day…’

Lois slammed the phone down. That song, again. Her good mood evaporating, she picked up the phone and dialed her mothers number.

December 25th

‘Cause I just want you here tonight, holding on to me so tight…’

The words of the song echoed around her head as she woke, pleasant memories of the previous night making her smile. Clark had come to her dinner! Not only had he been there, despite needing to leave to catch a plane, but he’d been the only one to come. After standing in front of the open window for the carolers, holding hands, his arm around her shoulders, they’d enjoyed dinner together. Everything had turned out really well, and Clark had taken seconds. He’d even finished carving the turkey and helped her put everything into the fridge before leaving.

The gift from him and Superman had been so thoughtful, and beautiful. He’d given her a big hug as thanks for his ties, and she could have sworn a feather light kiss had been placed on the top of her head.

Opening the curtains and seeing a fresh blanket of snow on everything, she dialed Clark’s number, wondering if he had been able to make it home. When his answering machine kicked in, she hesitated before leaving a message.

“Hi, Clark, it’s me. Wondering if you’d made it home to Kansas. If you didn’t, I’m heading to work in a bit, you can call me there. If you’ve nothing to do tonight, give me a call.”

As she got ready for work she selfishly hoped he had been snowed in. Maybe he could come over tonight and help her eat leftovers, watch a movie, and they could curl up on the couch.

“Lois! There’s a fire in the old Wilson apartment building,” called Jimmy.

“Get your camera and meet me downstairs. I’ll get my car,” She told him, grabbing her coat and bag.

She’d just finished a fluff piece about the charitable donation the library had just received and had taken to playing with the gag gift she’d received from her Secret Santa. It had been salvaged after Jimmy’s run in with the Atomic Space Rats and she’d been given a ring toss game, with the center piece as a Christmas tree. It was silly, but she had been bored. Now there was something to go rush out to, a story to report, and maybe by the time it was submitted the day would be over and she could go home.

By the time they arrived at the scene the fire had been quite large and she was surprised when Superman wasn’t there. She directed Jimmy to take pictures and watched in horror as people huddled on a balcony, trying to escape the smoke and flames. The fire department was getting to as many people as possible, and Lois could hear more sirens approaching.

A news crew had finished setting up a few minutes before and was now broadcasting live when she heard the familiar sound of Superman’s arrival. She watched as he plucked residents from danger, and then helped the fire department put out the flames.

Standing in the cold, she and Jimmy waited with the handful of other reporters stuck working on Christmas day, listened as a representative from the fire department made a statement about the fire. It was the usual blanket statement where nothing could be concluded before an investigation was completed, and a reminder to extinguish candles properly, to ensure live Christmas trees were watered, and to not leave the house while the turkey was cooking.

One reporter had asked where Superman had been, before being chided by the fire department. Lois briefly remembered asking Clark where Superman went for the holidays, and was curious if that was where he had been. It could be anywhere in the world, he likely hadn’t known about the fire until the news team had started broadcasting, she reasoned.

The reporters dissipated, Lois sent Jimmy back to the Planet with her Jeep to start getting the photos developed, and waited in the cold for a chance to speak to Superman alone.

“Lois! What are you still doing here? It’s freezing,” Superman exclaimed when he spotted her.

“I’m fine, I’ve got a thick coat on,” she lied. The coat was fantastic, but her shoes were flimsy, her feet were freezing, and she’d not bothered with a scarf or hat. She wondered if his super hearing would pick up her shivering.

He frowned, and suddenly she felt toasty warm. “Better?” He asked.

“Much,” she answered, awed. “I wanted to thank you for the gift, it was very thoughtful.”

He smiled at her, the smile that normally made her weak in the knees. She felt her pulse quicken, but could only think of Clark’s bright smile.

“You’re welcome. Sorry I couldn’t make your dinner…”

“That’s ok. I suspect you were busy pulling Perry around in that sleigh all night,” she laughed, before noticing he looked quite uncomfortable suddenly. “I should get back, story to write…”

“Where’s your Jeep?”

“Oh, Jimmy left with it already.”

“Would you like me to take you back to work?”

Whatever he had done to warm her up was already wearing off and she was beginning to cool off rapidly again. The idea of waiting for a cab, or getting the subway wasn’t appealing, and a flight with Superman would be much quicker. “Sure.”

He scooped her up in one smooth motion, and in no time they were flying towards downtown Metropolis. Despite the cold, she refused to tuck her head into his chest, instead stubbornly watching the city pass below them.

“Have you seen Clark?” She asked, intrigued when he looked startled momentarily.

“I believe he went to his parents farm for the holidays,” Superman answered. “Why do you ask?”

Lois shrugged, an unconscious action given her positioning in Superman’s arms. “Curious if he made it.” With Superman still staring at her inquisitively, she elaborated. “He came over on Christmas Eve saying his flight had been snowed in. I called this morning to see if he was still in the city, if he wanted to do something tonight…” She trailed off as they landed in front of the main entrance to the Planet. There was something in Superman’s expression that she couldn’t quite read.

“If I see him, I’ll let him know,” Superman said. “You should get inside and warm up. Don’t work too late,” he teased.

“I’ve just got to write this up and then I’m heading home. A hot shower is on the top of the to do list,” she joked, as he flew away.

Once home, and warm after a hot shower, Lois turned the kettle on, digging around in the kitchen cupboards for the hot chocolate she knew was somewhere. Currently attired in fuzzy pajamas and think socks, she finally felt warm. The story hadn’t taken long to finish, but arguing with the guy Perry had filling in for him over the holidays about the layout, had taken far longer. Despite being inside the warm newsroom, she hadn’t been able to shake the chill from outside, and now after a warm shower, she felt decidedly sleepy.

The kettle warming, she checked her phone messages. There were two, both from her mother that she would listen to tomorrow. She was glad Clark had made it home, but missed him already. Just last night he'd been here, they'd been holding hands, spending a wonderful evening together. No matter how hard she tried to bury it, or he tried to deny it, there was something happening between them, something more than friendship.

Contemplating turkey leftovers for a quick bite to eat, she sang to herself as she portioned the hot chocolate into a mug.

‘I just want you for my own, more than you can ever know. Make my wish come true…”

She stopped as she heard a gentle knock on the door. “Hello?” She called out.

“Lois? It’s Clark. I got your message, are you up for a movie?”

Very quietly, as she approached the door to let Clark in, she finished the chorus.

‘All I want for Christmas, is you.’

Maybe it wasn’t such an annoying song after all.

Song - All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey

Comments

Last edited by Toomi8; 12/28/21 01:03 PM. Reason: Forgot song credits