Another Kind of Superhero

A storm is raging over Metropolis. Dark clouds are painting the sky in a steely grey. Rain is pouring down on me, drenching my cape and suit and washing away the last remnants of mud and soot. Every muscle in my body is screaming from exhaustion. I don’t remember when I have ever felt so drained. I’ve no idea how many lives I’ve saved during the past three days, how many lives were lost. There was a terrible earthquake that rocked Brasil, destroying so many buildings, so many hopes and dreams.

I got trapped in one of those buildings – it’s laughable, really. Superman got trapped!

I was just helping people get out of a twenty-story building when it just collapsed on us. And suddenly, I found myself holding several thousand tons of debris to keep them from crushing the people I had been trying to save. Somehow I managed to keep them up long enough for the rescue teams to dig us out. It took hours and since there was no sunlight to recharge me, my strength eventually ran out. By the time the last man had crawled through the hole the emergency services had created, my arms buckled and I was buried under the falling debris.

I can still feel the bruises. They’re covering every last inch of my body, except for my face that I covered with my arms. I should be grateful that I’m still alive. Any other being on this Planet wouldn’t have been so lucky.

Somehow, I found the strength to free me, but it cost me dearly. Now, I’m running on empty. The flight back to Metropolis is about the most taxing thing I’ve ever done. I’ve taken several unintentional dips in the Atlantic, but always managed to push myself to keep going, to return to my family.

As I’m approaching Hyperion Avenue, I can feel the last of my strength seeping out of me. However much I try to fly the rest of the way, I’m really just dropping down like a stone. Concentrating hard on whatever reserves I’ve left, I manage to break the fall somewhat. Still, my landing is anything but elegant. I slump down in a heap, tumbling a few times until one of the trees lining the street finally stops me.

For a moment, I lie there groggily. Pain radiates through my upper body. I guess, this newest bruise will just go nicely with the other ones. When the pain subsides somewhat, I remember that Superman shouldn’t be seen lying on the ground, bruised and battered after his latest rescue. That would certainly destroy the image of the invincible hero.
I can’t stifle the groan that’s escaping my lips as I move again. This is the first time, I’m grateful that it’s dark already. Clutching at my aching ribs, I stagger into the shadows of the house next to me. Fortunately for me, it happens to be the one house that’s been empty for weeks. The former owners died from old age and their children are trying to sell the property. So far, they’re not having much luck.

I’m grateful for the reprieve. With difficulty, I find myself a relatively secluded spot and once more concentrate hard on what’s left of my powers. Then I spin into my regular clothes and tousle my hair, so that it looks less like Superman. It’s not that easy, damp as it is. My clothes are also drenched by the rain, but that can’t be helped now. A dizzy spell hits me as I try to get back on the sidewalk and I need to steady myself against the wall until it subsides. I’m just about ready to collapse. But home is not far from here. Just a short walk and I can fall apart on our couch and get a little TLC from Lois. A smile spreads across my face as I think about her and I’m feeling a little better already.

As I open the door to our home, I can tell that a tornado has been raging through the living area. And apparently, the storm warning is still quite acute. Toys are scattered all across the floor. Loud wails announce that Maggie, our three-year old toddler, is just throwing a tantrum. I’m betting that she was the one throwing all the toys around. Usually, she’s the sweetest girl, but sometimes she turns into a fury like even hell has only seen very few.

My heart goes out to Lois, who must have taken the brunt of her rage. And telling by the sound of it, Maggie is far from done yet. I heave a sigh and follow the ear-piecing squeals into the living room. Nathan, our ten-year old son, is watching his Mom a little helplessly as she’s trying to calm Maggie down.

“…now, you see that I can’t help you, Nate.” Lois shouts at our son. Her voice is drowned out by Maggie’s heart-wrenching cries every so often. “So, would you please get back to your homework and get it done? You should have started working on it, when I still had the time to answer your questions.”

“But Mom! You know I had baseball training,” Nate tries to defend himself. “And you weren’t there to pick me up, so I had to take the bus. You know I couldn’t get home sooner.”
“Well, your Dad was supposed to pick you up!” The tone of Lois’ voice is bordering on the level of ‘very dangerous’. “Is it my fault that he’s once again off saving the world?”
Nate’s head turns bright red. He’s inherited much of Lois’ temperament. “Well, he’s…”

“I’m back,” I step in, before the argument becomes any more heated than it already is.

Lois turns around with such a vengeance that Maggie is stunned for a moment and stops crying.

“Clark!” There’s not the hint of a smile on Lois’ face.

In fact, she looks angrier than I’ve seen her in years. It’s almost as bad as it was when I broke up with her for her own good. Or when I couldn’t bring myself to tell her that I’m Superman and she found out on her own.

“Three days! It’s been three days!” she growls.

“I’m sorry, Lois. There was an earthquake.” I mutter dejectedly.

Her expression tells me that the true catastrophe happened in this very building. With our kids and the job and whatever else wreaked havoc in Lois’ life. I should have been here to help her, but instead got trapped in a building somewhere in Brasil. Way to go, Clark.

Maggie squirms in Lois’ arm and she begins to wail again. “Daddy! I want Daddy!”

There’s a flash in Lois’ eyes and a tightening in her jaw as she sets Maggie down that isn’t just bordering on ‘very dangerous’. She watches Maggie as she runs toward me. I pick her up in my arms and cradle her against my chest, trying not to wince as she flings her little body against my various bruises. I believe this is the straw that finally breaks the camel’s back.

“I don’t believe it,” Lois dives deep into her rant. “You come here after three days. Three days you didn’t care for either of your children. Three days you let me do all the work at the Planet on my own. Three days I had to come up with excuses and yet more excuses for your absence. Three days, you let me do all the house-keeping, the cooking, the shopping, including that present for the birthday party your son was invited to and that you promised to get for him.” Her breast rises and falls with the heavy breaths she’s taking. She points her finger at Maggie and me, accusingly. “I’ve been trying for the better part of an hour to calm Maggie down, after she threw a fit about a banana that broke into two pieces, for heaven’s sake. And you – you just walk in and everything’s suddenly all right? Life just goes on as if nothing happened?”

Her voice cracks and there are tears rolling down her cheeks. Her hands are balled into fists. “Three days, I’ve been trying to explain to her why her Daddy’s not here. She’s been devastated. She painted most of the wall paper in our living room in garish colors before I even had a chance to stop her. And now she’s once again Daddy’s little girl. And I’m the grumpy Mommy!” She throws up her hands in frustration. “I’ve had enough of this.”

She storms past me, and runs out of the living room shaken by heart-wrenching sobs.

“Lois!” I yell after her, trying to get her to turn around and talk to me.

But she’s no longer willing to listen. The door to the living room closes behind her with a resounding thud. Seconds later there is another thud caused by the main door and a few moments after that I can hear that she’s starting the car and driving away.

All three of us stare at the closed living room door in shock. Maggie has started to cry again, a panicky tone to her voice that makes my heart clench with the same fear that she’s feeling right now. I never thought that Lois would actually leave. I can’t claim that I truly understand what’s going on in her mind right now. But I can imagine how unfair this must feel. Maggie’s been a Daddy’s girl almost from the day she was born. Admittedly, Lois does most of the work, dries most of her tears. But when I’m around, Maggie often acts as if Mommy’s not even there. I can’t even begin to understand how this must hurt Lois.

I don’t know what to do. Part of me wants to rush after her and bring her back. I know I need to apologize – more than that. But my battered body is not willing to cooperate. Besides, I need to take care of Maggie and Nate and a whole house that’s been thoroughly turned upside down by our kids. I try to swallow down the groan that is threatening to escape my lips as I realize that I just can’t fall apart on the couch right now. I squeeze my eyes shut as another wave of dizziness hits me and I desperately try not to sway.

Oh boy, I could really use some TLC right about now.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool