Next Thread
Print Thread
#28925 04/03/06 03:37 PM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Oy vey! I love "His Girl Friday" and the play and movie "Front Page" from which the Grant-Russell vehicle was adapted. The dialogue crackles with both speed and intensity, and the actors obviously had a ball filming it. I know you'll carry the same frenetic pace with this story. It'll be a fun ride!

I am curious about something, though. How did Lois miss the blue-and-red-and-yellow suits in Clark's side of the closet? Was she so busy that she never, ever did any of his laundry or picked up his dry cleaning? And are you telling me that Clark didn't share his secret before the wedding?

Yikes! I'm with Jimmy, I don't want to be around when the fur from this one starts flying!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#28926 04/03/06 03:48 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks, Terry! I agree, the idea is a little-well maybe a lot--farfetched that Lois wouldn't figure it out that whole time. But hey, if he would actually PROPOSE without telling her, I figured I could stretch it that far. And she always had near misses of figuring it out for so long on the show, I am banking that her mistrust of men from her father's infidelities might cause her to read something different than him being superman. Plus, it just seemed in my brain the only logical reason for my story of why Lois would ever divorce him. There's always a stretch with the whole Superman/ Clark Kent disguise thing--I am just hoping my readers will indulge me a little further.
Yeah, I love that movie. And Cary Grant for that matter. I am hoping this story will have that feel, but I am quite the amateur, so I may not be able to do it justice. But I'm having fun so far with it. When I watched the movie not long ago, it just seemed to scream out Lois and Clark to me. So I thought I would at least give it a try, and see if anyone else wanted to read it. It's just slow going for me.
Thanks so much for the feedback...keep it coming.
Marcy wink

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
#28927 04/03/06 05:51 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Marcy, I absolutely love your story so far. And I love the fact that Clark hasn't told Lois that he's Superman! That's exactly the super-idiotic thing this otherwise totally lovely guy would do - and would keep doing. His total paranoia about revealing his secret identity is such that he would be prepared to lose practically everything just to keep the damn thing a secret. At least I can so easily picture him doing that!

And Lois - yes, it is a bit of a mystery that she wouldn't figure it out on her own. I really think she has, but she refuses to acknowledge it. She thinks Clark should tell her about it himself. And she's right. If he won't ever trust her enough to tell her, then he doesn't deserve her, and she'll walk out on him. (Just wish you hadn't picked Dan Scardino as you new guy, Lois, but, oh, well....)

But I love your story, Marcy. The crackling, sparkling dialogue, the general wonderful energy of the story and the language. The way I'm just carried away by it! I, too, love Cary Grant, and Clark would make a good Cary Grant, I think. And Lois - oh, she'd just be perfect as one of those sparkling, feminine and energetic heroines of the past. There's so much lovely humour in your story, too.

So, eh, Marcy? If you don't finish this, I'm really going to be quite sorry. So keep it coming, because I'm just loving it!!!! clap

Ann

#28928 04/03/06 06:33 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Superb!! I recently watched His Girl Friday and this is fantastic... What's ur posting schedule?

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#28929 04/03/06 08:34 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Lovely - looking forward to more.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#28930 04/03/06 10:21 PM
C
Kerth
Online Content
Kerth
C
I loved it. I have a copy of 'His Girl Friday' I loved the movie and I'm really interested to see how this plays out.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#28931 04/04/06 03:35 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
yes i need lots of tomatoes lolol shock

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
#28932 04/04/06 09:11 AM
C
Blogger
Blogger
C
Great job!!! thumbsup I can't wait to see how this plays out. Because I've never seen His girl friday so this will have me buzzing around until it's finished. Post more Soon!!!

#28933 04/04/06 12:56 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I love love love His Girl Friday! It's one of my absolute favorite movies, and I have to echo Terry's earlier sentiment — you've captured the quick pace, lightning dialogue and the zingers that flew every other minute of the film.

And I nearly laughed out loud at this:
Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Clark cringe almost imperceptibly as Daniel began to speak.

“Lois, darling, you ready to head on out? You know how Mother is.”

Clark saw his chance and jumped into the conversation. “No, Lois, tell me. How is Mother?”

He watched with smug satisfaction as the Scardino guy bristled.
Hah! *loves* Wonderful job; can't wait to see the next chapter!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
#28934 04/04/06 01:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#28935 04/04/06 02:06 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
> okay, now me hides from tomatoes!
> It's my muse's fault she's brought Scardino!

I am delighted to see Scardino in this plotline. It has been years since I've watched the movie but IIRC putting Danny boy in to this plot is no kindness to him.

So are you going to make it an AU in a 1930s timeline?

Framework4
#28936 04/04/06 02:12 PM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I'm with Maria on this one: who stole Clark and left this Lex Luthor hybrid in his place? The whole first half of the chapter had me asking "um...what? Clark, a playboy. Lois doesn't know she's married to Superman? hmmm...what is going on here?" Well, actually, I can let the Superman thing slide, cuz Clark's been dumb about him before. This is a new level of dumb, but the whole Dan-Mother thing had me in chuckles, so I'll forgive it. Can't wait to see more, cuz this looks like it'll be a lot of fun. General Perry, sign me up for this mission!

#28937 04/04/06 05:38 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, you are evil, you are. But as much as Scardino makes me want to throw away all of my Hawaiin shirts, I'm dying to see where this goes...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#28938 04/08/06 06:22 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Very interesting! I am looking foward to more. As much as I dislike Scardino I like it when I see different characters in stories. I am enjoying the new angle!!!!!!!!

Come back here and post more!!! Soon!!!!!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#28939 04/08/06 06:49 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Oh, this going to be good laugh

I can't wait until you add more....really I can't wait, so hop to it. goofy

Clark: "Can I have a rat chief? Can I, huh? Please?"

Perry: "Clark, do you want me to send you to the dark room?"

Clark: "The dark room?"
#28940 04/08/06 09:45 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
so hop to it
Actually blush she's already hopped to it. laugh It's my fault it hasn't been posted yet - it's been sitting in my mailbox for the past couple of days.

Sorry! I'd intended to beta it today as you know, Marcy, but...best laid plans of Rats and Women... :rolleyes:

I'll have it back to you first thing tomorrow, I swear!

LabRat <-------------------- Bad Beta

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#28941 04/08/06 11:14 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Originally posted by LabRat:
so hop to it
Actually blush she's already hopped to it. laugh It's my fault it hasn't been posted yet - it's been sitting in my mailbox for the past couple of days.

Sorry! I'd intended to beta it today as you know, Marcy, but...best laid plans of Rats and Women... :rolleyes:

I'll have it back to you first thing tomorrow, I swear!

LabRat <-------------------- Bad Beta
Ok, we'll forgive you THIS time wink

But if you let it happen again... goofy

It gives me something to look forward to.

Clark: "Can I have a rat chief? Can I, huh? Please?"

Perry: "Clark, do you want me to send you to the dark room?"

Clark: "The dark room?"
#28942 04/08/06 09:44 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Marcy

An excellent start and a very original premise! smile1

Tricia cool

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek