Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. You give us a little hope, and then you *yank* it away, like pulling the rug out from under our feet and sending us tumbling onto our rears. I was so hoping, along with everyone else, that the vial held the answers. But the road you pave is never easy, is it? However, I did love Lois's thoughts about Clark. And the end of this part! Go, Lois! If you can't take control of one aspect of your life, grab hold of the rest with both hands and yank it where you want to go.

I'm about to fall off my seat, since you keep leaving us at the edge of it. When are you going to let us sit securely again?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging whinging

Since I can't really see the screen at the moment ... I'll have to come back later to post feedback ... but Wendy I just have to say, YOU ARE BREAKING MY HEART!!

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Yes, and then Clark blithely dismissing the flakes of "something metallic". Having this be mercury is their "only" hope, but Lois doesn't think mercury poisoning symptoms quite fit. Could there be another "something metallic" that produces similar symptoms?

And getting married as a way of dealing with her parents -- aie!

"Mom, Dad -- Clark and I got married tonight."
"WHAT??? Baby, you're not... Are you pregnant?"
"No, actually, I've been poisoned."

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been wise-cracking my way through most of these sections (I think it's called distancing <g> ) but... just can't do that here.

That shaky, teary hug... still, I was holding it together until this part:

Now, of course, she was more of a peninsula of sorts; since Clark had been partnered up with her, they’d brought his desk closer. It wasn’t quite touching hers, but if she left a folder overlapping the edge of her desk the gap would be bridged.

Slowly, carefully, she nudged a manila folder backwards, away from her, until it was part-off her desk.
whinging

That's just... so mundane and so filled with meaning and so *sad*...

But now I mostly want to see the next section to get Clark's reaction <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This story makes me want to bawl like a baby. Completely heartbreaking, Lois talking about the end, telling Clark not to let her parents take over... Ouch, my heart is in serious pain here.

A little bit of happiness over the thought of the two of them getting married, but under the circumstances...

*whimper* really is the right word.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
So sad thumbsup I can just imagine the look on Clark's face at that one laugh please post more soon

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
SuperClark.
That just makes me laugh. Given the dire circumstances our heroine is facing, this response is hardly appropriate, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

Clark. Where was Clark? She needed Clark. He should be here...
Awwww.

the vial revealed no more than we already knew
I could say I was shocked, but that would be a lie.

If she had no choice but to die, that was how she wanted to go.
So sad yet so sweet.

So much for hubris.
Like this part.

Who would write her obituary?
Oh the angst!

Someone else would have to write the final story of her life.
*sob*

No chance to lose herself in his kisses.
As if it weren't getting bad enough...Oh wait, there's still more.

Clark should have that right. He knew her best, had been with her all today, knew what she wanted...
And if that doesn't say it all.

Clark... will you marry me?”
Wendy, you did it. You broke my heart. /me faints dead away...

**~~**

Swoosh --->
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
If this were the next-to-last post, I'd expect the blood test in Vegas to show something the doctors in Metropolis had missed, and she gets an antidote (probably something mundane, like a chocolate sundae) just in time.

But that would be too easy, too quick, too not-heart-rending, so there's no way that's going to happen.

Wow! I'm glad I'm not Clark right now.

And since I know some in-laws who are a bit like the Lanes, I sympathize with Lois's desire to leave them a note saying, "Sorry, I'm dead. Be nice to Clark. He's your new son-in-law." What a hand grenade that would be!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Wendy, I have been waiting impatiently for this installment, and I have to say that I'm impressed. A great piece of writing! I fell apart when Clark started to cry. mecry I think they hugged to affirm life and comfort them both. It was an attempt to hold on to each other for dear life.

I can't wait to read the next piece!! Please, pretty please with a cherry on top, post soon!!

(One note, though: your "lab testers" are histologists. smile )

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wendy, you are killing me here! I don't post often, but I have to say this is one of THE most gut-wrenching stories I have ever read. You weren't kidding when you say your fans eat angst for breakfast! smile I have to go get a new box of kleenexes now.
whinging whinging whinging whinging
Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
Columnist
Columnist
SOOOOOOO SAD! How can you do this to them???

The suspense is killing me here and when Clark broke down??? WOW

And Lois proposing???? My God! MORE!

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh Wendy...this has to be one of the sadest parts yet. i just love that Lois and Clark are coming together an inch at a time each part you post. And now you have Lois asking clark to marry her...Ah! I may need another box of tissues. Please more and soon!!!!

"We're both barefoot, both flushed, and we both look guilty as hell. Clark has finger-combed his hair but I'm positive mine looks like I was just f… fished out of the river."

<3 this fic!
'The Next Step' By Sue S.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! Well another dead end, but then I can't complain what with Lois proposing and all goofy

And loved Lois' contemplation especially her wanting to reaffirm her connection with Clark with the manila folder. thumbsup notworthy

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
What can I say but yes, yes, yes, I agree with everybody? Except possibly with anyone who doesn't want Lois and Clark to get married under the circumstances. Of course they should get married, and although it's an absolutely heartbreaking scene it's still one of the loveliest proposals I have come across in LC fanfiction. Lois means it. She is *not* just trying to get away from her parents. And if you cure her, Wendy - *when* you cure her, I mean - Lois won't regret being married for a second. Well, assuming Clark is willing to do his part to see to it that they get married, and assuming Lois is still sufficiently alert to know what to say when the minister asks her the question... frown

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just wanted to clarify that if someone doesn't want L&C to get married under the circumstances, that person isn't me. I, for one, am happy that Lois proposed and am sure that she truly wants to marry Clark. I just meant that the happiness over it isn't encompassing me at the moment, because I'm still too heartbroken about her illness and the situation they're in.

If you didn't already know, Wendy, I can't wait for the next chapter. This is really masterful writing.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's it. I've just fallen apart. That's all I've got. I'm broken. I can't even sign my name.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Kerth
Kerth
“Can you fly me to Vegas?”
Wow...I never saw that coming! I'm intrigued by the possibilities of his answer. Under normal circumstances, he'd say no. But feeling like they're running out of time, willing to do anything to provide her with some comfort...hmmm. Of course, a quicker way to solve her stated problem would be to have Clark quickly write up a living will and get Lois to a notary.

A serious note to any readers out there: I know nobody likes to think about it, but it's important to have a will (or living trust) and a living will. What would happen if you were fatally injured by a drunk driver on New Year's eve? Have you provided a potential guardian for your children? Would your doctors know your wishes for medical care? There's software available to help you fill out the paperwork - a few hours of your time today could be very valuable in the event of a tragic accident tomorrow.
Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow talk about a roller coaster of emotion. They have five hours to fit in a life time of love! Maybe they'll get hit by lightning on the way and Lois will get Superpowers and the poison will be gone. OY! More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
Kerth
goofy

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Owww... I need to give vent to my sorrow. whinging whinging whinging

“Okay.” A muscle ticked in his jaw as he spoke. That, and the fact that he didn’t argue that there were other things they could try, other avenues to pursue, told her louder than words that he knew it was hopeless, too. They’d done all they could, and it was time to accept the inevitable.
I'm broken to pieces. whinging

There're 5 hours left to Lois and 4 parts to the story. I bet you're gonna let her (and us) on the rack until last part, aren't you? As ever, you gave us a silver lining in the end, but I'm sure you are scheming other heartbreaking twist. [Linked Image] I can feel it. [Linked Image] You're sadist and I'm masochist, because I keep reading and wrecking my heart. [Linked Image]

He took her to the stairwell, scooping her into his arms once the door closed behind them and they were alone. Silently, she bade farewell to the newsroom. Maybe she should have said goodbye to Perry, too. And Jimmy. They were both still around, and they’d seen Clark lead her away. They probably both knew they wouldn’t see her again.
I can't write any longer. My nerves are shattered. /me runs out to cry... [Linked Image]

Andreia [Linked Image]

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard