K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Davey!!! Darling!! goofy

Have I told you that I love you? laugh Have I told you that I absolutely LOVE this story? This premise? The writing? Well, it's amazing. All of it. What an awesome idea to have Clark with amnesia... and "remember" that Lois is his wife. Pure genius, I tell you! goofy )

His eyes darted around the room, the oppressive grey walls looming over him. The chair scraped backwards as he stood quickly and strode over to the mirror on the opposite wall. Five full strides. Just like the time before, and the time before that. The walls weren’t closing in on him. He wondered again if he might be claustrophobic...
I really love this. It's so... well, I'm getting claustrophobic just thinking about it. And that "wondered again"... he's wondered more than once already, and that's just... sad. whinging

He opened his mouth to assure Mr. White that he was but no sound came out. He wanted to say yes, but he felt uncomfortable lying to the man.
Awesome characterization right there. Yeah, Clark lies to him all the time, but he never really was comfortable with it. It's just who he is. Irony at it's best. clap

Okay, I think I'm all done now...

I did mention that I love this story, right? That this premise is the most intriguing, heartbreaking, wonderful idea ever? That you're brilliant at evoking emotions from your readers?

notworthy

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Excellent start! I am fascinated, intrigued, and dying for more.

When will that happen? Hmm?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! Superb & Magnificent! wink

Obviously Cat thought... and Lois hadn’t mentioned anything, but... could that be why she wasn’t wearing his ring?
Premise of Clark's remembering only dreams and aligning everything else to those beliefs.... gives a whole new meaning to living in a fantasy world.

Though Clark has to hurry up with coming to terms... right? smile1 cool

Looking forward to this story,
~Ankit. wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Powerful, wonderful stuff, Dave. A great twist on ASU -- and you're making me jealous, 'cause you're so darned good at this. You're gonna make me look bad wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This is such a fascinating premise, and I am thoroughly hooked! You won't believe how eager I am to see the next part. smile1 Totally loving this so far. smile

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Yes, I agree with all that the others said before.
Really great premise. I love it. Don't worry, you definitely made justice to the teaser trailer.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Interesting twist on ASU.

To have Clark's 'dreams' intrude on his attempt to recapture his memories is quite novel, though I'm not sure why the nightmare of having Lois being pregnant would slip in there. I would think that only the happy fantasies would be the ones he 'remembered'.

Of course, there is his affair with Cat wink .

Looking forward to more.

Tank (who wonders if David will find a way to make Lois feel that she has to 'humour' Clark and is forced to play along with his married fantasy)

Columnist
Columnist
Wow!

Uh....

Wow!

Irene
who thinks she should just cut and paste Sara's post because there is no way that she can be that coherent!

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Ok, I'm sending Wendy my grocery bill, must I send you one? I promise it wont be pretty.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow, Dave! I love this!!

The idea that he's basing his current beliefs on memories which are only dreams is fascinating. He can't remember anything about who he is, but those dreams were so important to him, and he wanted that reality so much, that they are what he remembers. And he remembers them as vividly as if they were real - again, wow!

I can't wait until Lois tumbles to the fact that he thinks they're married. I anticipate drool

And that instant when they arrived in the newsroom - that was all unfiltered super stuff, wasn't it? The lights, noise, his "feeling" that he could sense her heartbeat... he spent his youth learning to control those things, and so some of that control would be second nature most of the time. But not always, like if there's a lot of unexpected simultaneous stimuli... like, say, in a noisy newsroom. goofy

More soon?? Pretty please??

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ASU rewrites - my favourite! And I love this one, Dave. Especially all the little details you've used to illustrate Clark's confusion and emotions. The scene at the police station with the claustrophobia, the emotions that Lois sparks in him and his misinterpretation of them, the confusing kicking in of his powers and his subconscious, automatic correction of them, that Janet's already mentioned.

Wonderfully observed.

Poor Clark.

Or should that be - poor Lois goofy

Keen to find out what happens next, so post soon, you hear!

LabRat smile

PS - Forgot - love the title!

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
WOW!!! What a great idea! I love it!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
NO NO NO!!!!!

David, your slipping over to the dark side! What dark side you ask? It's called We Who Torture Clark Kent For FUN or WWTCKFF, for short!!!

Come back to the WAFFY side!

James, who will be looking forward to the next section, come what may.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
hyper Yeah, Dave!! I'm so happy you posted this.

Memories, just out of his reach. He knew if he could grab one, hold onto it... understand it... just one of the tiny specks...
Great description!
The voice startled him. He spun around quickly and... froze. His breath caught in his throat and warmth... warmth he could remember on an elemental level, blossomed in his chest and spread through him. It wasn’t just that she was the most beautiful creature he was sure he’d *ever* seen... it was the feeling of... rightness he got just from looking at her.
Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
he might not remember who *he* was, but how could he forget *her*?

She was his wife.
Well, not quite, buddy.
Their first kiss. Their first dance. Their wedding. The first time they made love...
Quite the imagination there, Clark whinging

“Well, I’m more like the senior partner,” she clarified.
rotflol Even now...

“You like to be on top?” he asked, a smile spreading across his face.

He saw her face flush and an amused twinkle light her eyes.
And well she SHOULD be embarassed!
She writes the gossip column for the paper. We write the *news*.”
I love this line!

Clark felt his heart sink. What kind of a man would cheat on his wife with a woman in a strappy pink dress?
Fabulous. Despite the fact that I was anticipating this, it is still a marvelous twist. Who indeed?
Obviously Cat thought... and Lois hadn’t mentioned anything, but... could that be why she wasn’t wearing his ring?
You really have thought of all the details, haven't you!

He didn’t feel like a C.K. But then... he didn’t feel like a Clark either.
Haha!

He saw Mr. White’s eyes flicker between Lois, himself, and their clasped hands.
You do a great job with these little moments, Dave.

You do realize that I will now hound you mercilessly until you finish? wildguy

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Kerth
Kerth
Woot!! I hope you have a long buffer wink

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
hyper clap WOW notworthy shock jawdrop more soon grovel hail thud Pleeeeeeeeeease

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just so, so good.

It's no wonder that in a few short hours your comment folder is filling to overflowing, Dave. Everyone's trying to do justice to such evocative, poignant, layered writing. You don't waste words - every single word in there performs a function, sometimes several functions. Meaning upon meaning.

You get inside the head of a confused, lost and lonely soul so well. You make me feel that I'm in that holding room with Clark, pacing the floor with him, feeling the walls closing in on us, helplessly searching for any clues as to who we are.

And this para is simply amazing, vivid in its intensity and truth:

Every time he closed his eyes and tried to remember, all he saw was a vast darkness broken up by tiny splinters of light flashing in front of him, gone as fast as they appeared. Hurtling past him like bullets... Memories, just out of his reach. He knew if he could grab one, hold onto it... understand it... just one of the tiny specks...
We know exactly what he's remembering, but you've done this so well that it could easily just be the troubled, panicky flashes inside the mind of someone who can't remember a thing about who he is. Especially when it's followed by this:

He opened his eyes slowly and a quiet sigh escaped as he regarded the stranger in the mirror. The empty eyes that stared back haunted him.

“Who are you?” he mumbled at his reflection.
/me hangs up her keyboard. notworthy

Then there's the Big Misunderstanding. He remembers Lois, but his fantasies are mingled with his memories in such a way that he doesn't know which is which. As Janet pointed out, he's spent years compartmentalising himself. Learning to separate out two parts of himself - some of that is still there, still instinctive, but some of the conscious effort is forgotten, and he can't separate wishful thinking from the real thing. This is a really difficult idea to pull off, but you've written inside Clark's head so well, pulled out the real events so nicely and shown them in a different context, that it works.

Then you use the real event - Cat taking advantage of Clark's amnesia - to plant a horrible suspicion in his mind, using real memories - him in Cat's apartment, Lois's obvious resentment - and your own story - Lois awkward about holding his hand - to make this work too. So clever.

And all told with such deft skill in the writing, and such a feel for the characters, too. Lois planting an imprint on his soul. Yes. That is exactly what she did - right from the second he met her. You really do get it.

And I'm so envious. wildguy wildguy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
First, this looks like it's going to be an interesting story. Very original, which I love. The feelings Clark was going through while talking to Cat... wow.

However, it must have been too long since I've watch LnC, because I couldn't figure out what was going on for the longest time. I knew Clark had amnesia, but I couldn't figure out where all the wife, baby, Dr. visit stuff came from. I finally assumed he must have dreamed that stuff at one point.

Now, based on what other people are saying in the feedback folder, I'm getting the impression that these dreams were actually shown on an episode. I just can't remember any of the dreams or what episode they were from.

So, it took me a while to get into the story because of that. Also, I wondered why Clark hasn't asked her about the baby yet. Or made some comment about it. When my wife was pregnant, I was constantly asking her if she was all right, which drove her nuts. wink Even right after we first found out. One of those wierd, over protective man things I guess. She set me straight pretty early. Anyway... it seemed strange that Clark hasn't let on at least a little bit about some of these thought to Lois - which would freak her out I'm sure.

Looking forward to said freaking out time...

--
Jeff
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
I can't wait until Lois finds out what Clark believes.

gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jeff, I don't think the dreams per se were shown on the show... certainly don't remember any first season love-making scenes between L&C! I think Clark's taking some real memories -- kissing Lois in the plane (SV) and in the hotel (HiM), and being at Cat's place (SV) and mixing them up with his wishful thinking. I can imagine him lying in bed at night, planning how he'd like things to be... It's quite the fantasy life he's got going, there, though I think it's very sweet that in his fantasies, he's getting married and having kids.

"You don't know how many times I've thought about this... dreamt about this... well, something like this..."

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard