Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24915 10/23/05 04:58 PM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh, Wendy...I can tell that this one is gonna be great! Who cares how long...the longer the better blush

Why not just go ahead and post the other 10 parts that are ready so we're not left to agonize. peep

More, soon, Please!!

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#24916 10/23/05 05:03 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm with Sheila on all points!

Especially the one about posting more . . . wildguy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#24917 10/23/05 05:18 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, evil! What a dreadful way to leave me, and going into a work week no less. Clark agonizing in the hospital. Lois with only 24 hours to live. A madman on the loose. How do you expect me to sleep?

I am trying to remember. Do you kill your characters off? I hope not!

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#24918 10/23/05 06:43 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wendy get back here! clap My only question is what is your posting schedule going to be? confused Please say at *least* twice a week? notworthy

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#24919 10/23/05 07:03 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Oh this is EVIL! Amazing, but EVIL! How can you leave us hanging like this????? I'm with the others on the 'longer the better' philosophy....please post again soon....pretty please with sugar on top? wink

Spike: "There's a hole in the world...feels like we ought to have known."
-Angel
#24920 10/23/05 07:08 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
24 hours to live?

Are you sure this doesn't belong in the nFic folder? wink

Seriously, Wendy - this is great!

I'm still sitting on the edge of my seat.

The atmosphere in the first part was... fantastic. You *really* feel like you're getting inside Lois's sleep muddled head.

There was someone in her apartment.

Lois sat up in bed, her heart thumping. The digital clock by her bedside said 3:15 - far too early for any neighbours to be up and about.
I *love* the way you introduce the scene - with the certainty that there *is* someone there, and then Lois snapping awake.

And then this:

But she didn’t hear any footsteps. Had she just imagined that there was someone? Maybe she’d just dreamed it...
It's almost like waking up from a dream and not knowing if that giant spider on the blanket was real or not. You get the impression so clearly - it's fantastic. *My* heart was thumping right along with Lois's.

There’d been a series of rapes in this part of the city in the last few months.
Why do I get the feeling that's going to be important? <g>

And *this*:

A figure loomed menacingly over her. Terrified, she tried to shrink away. She was going to be raped!
I'd actually forgotten that I've seen some of this and knew she wasn't! Amazing writing.

She needed... to...

...fight...

...attack...

Focus!
And... I *love* that. The effect. Blurry. blurry. blurry... and then bang. Snaps back into focus. I'm sure you don't need to be told, but it's brilliant!

And then he spoke. His voice came from a long way away, echoing down a tunnel. Slow, distorted.
I don't think I need to say it again, but I will... brilliant! It's *very* effective. You can almost imagine...

Had it really happened? Or just a nightmare? But... hard surface below her. On the floor. Aching all over. Throat burning. Someone was here! Help. The phone. Had to... get... to the phone.
I love that... the flow of thoughts. The groggy realisation. I wonder if time had passed between him leaving and her thoughts.

Because I've got to write that blasted essay I'm going to have to fly through Clark's POV.

Clark or Superman?

The distinction didn’t matter tonight.
I think I've said 'I *love* that' so many times already, but... dammit. I *do* love that. How when it comes down to it... when Lois needs him... it doesn't matter. His secret. His identity. Nothing matters as much as she does. And that's... amazing. How you can say that, more strongly than simply saying it, in only two lines... it's amazing.

He crashed through the glass and in less than a second was crouched on the floor beside his partner.
I also have a feeling that's going to be important. How will Clark explain the broken glass? Will the police assume that's how the attacker got in and ignore the door? Were signs of forced entry (or even better, no forced entry) ignored?

/me flies through... damn essay...

That made 99 since he’d taken up vigil in this hard moulded-plastic chair. It now declared the time to be 5:37. One more minute for the round century.
I love that - a minute 'til the round century. And thanks for the time update. <g>

Because he was stuck outside on this damned uncomfortable chair, watching a clock slowly count the minutes and the hours while he was just told to wait?
I really like the emphasis on the chair. It's very realistic - the way someone takes their frustration (about not being able to do anything) out on their environment. Fantastic little detail. Makes everything more... real.

He should have flown her to the hospital himself. Stupid to be so concerned about preserving a crime scene when Lois could be dying!
Yes, Clark! Very stupid. But... I've got a feeling that'll be important too. <g>

And Wendy... dear, dear Wendy... if you don't share your posting schedule I'm going to assume it's going to be a daily update. <g>

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#24921 10/23/05 07:31 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wohoo! smile1

Maybe the posting schedule should do the title justice goofy

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#24922 10/23/05 07:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great start. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#24923 10/23/05 09:31 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I like where the story seems to be going AND I just can't wait for the next post!!!!!

Post! post! Please!!!!!!!

#24924 10/24/05 02:52 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wendy

WOW! smile1

Tricia cool

#24925 10/24/05 03:00 AM
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
I love your stories, Wendy. I keep saying you that. And specially the long ones, so I'm delighted to see a new one.

There was someone in her apartment.

Lois sat up in bed, her heart thumping.
Wow. Great start. You can build tension in your story from the first line. Very impressive.

“No, you’re going to spend the next day knowing that you’ve got only twenty-four hours to live. Better make up your mind quick how you want to spend your last day, reporter bitch - this time tomorrow it’ll be too late.”
That part made me think about a movie I saw once: "D.O.A." with Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan. A man was poisoned and had only 24 hours to live. He go to the police to lodge a complaint for murder and spend his last day trying to understand who poisonned him and why.

I think Lois could have the same type of reaction, and I will definitely follow her in the next parts. I want to know, too.

Clark or Superman?

The distinction didn’t matter tonight. He was going by the fastest route possible. Clark flew to the balcony and up into the night sky.
I'm glad he's not taking precautions about his identity when Lois is in danger. And I hope she'll find the truth during the day that might be her last one (actually, Wendy, I hope you're planning of find a way to let her live).

Did the staff have even the faintest idea how agonising it was just to be told to wait for news? Did they know what sort of things were going through his mind as he watched the clock ticking away the minutes? Did they know that every tick represented a minute of Lois’s life which could be ebbing away even as he sat here, useless? Did they know the images flashing before his eyes, of Lois on a trolley, not breathing, being worked over with a defibrillator? Lois, barely conscious, fighting for her life, calling his name, needing him with her and thinking that he didn’t care because he wasn’t there? Because he was stuck outside on this damned uncomfortable chair, watching a clock slowly count the minutes and the hours while he was just told to wait?
Great descriptions of the Clark's feelings. It's pretty hard to wait like that when you don't know how bad the things are going. I felt the same as him.

You get me hooked to your new story. And I'm joining the other to ask you when will be the next post. I'm impatient to read what's coming next.

I have the strong feeling that it's another new powerful story that begins here.

#24926 10/24/05 03:03 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Wendy wrote something? I thought she was working on her novel? wink

Good tense set up. Missed out on a chance to add a nice emotional cliff hanger by having the doctor inform Clark of Lois' particular dilemna.

I suppose you're waiting until the end of the next instalment before laying that one on him, and her?

Tank (who thinks for a professed long story, this was a fairly short instalment wink )

#24927 10/24/05 04:16 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Yay! You posted!! smile

More!!! hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#24928 10/24/05 05:02 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
WOW, this is great and oh so mean. Please post again soon.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#24929 10/24/05 06:29 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I hate getting sucked into unfinished stories! The suspense is too much, although I always read them anyway. But this one is too good to pass up or be upset about! clap
~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
#24930 10/24/05 07:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Missed out on a chance to add a nice emotional cliff hanger by having the doctor inform Clark of Lois' particular dilemna.
You know, you're absolutely right, Tank! I originally intended to stop about two pages further on. Don't know how I missed that last night. eek Anyway, since it makes more sense in the context of what will be part 2, I've added in the remainder of what was planned to be part 1. So, anyone who's interested, if you refresh the thread you'll find more story in there now. wink

And... novel? What novel? angel-devil

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#24931 10/24/05 07:29 AM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Quite a tense beginning. I keep wanting Clark to learn about the little needle Lois got so he can do something about. I suggest taking a blood sample to Dr. Klein to see what he can do. She definitely needs an antibody in her system NOW.

And I wonder how Lois would want to spend her final 24 hours. That would be interesting, too.

gerry

#24932 10/24/05 07:48 AM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Hmm...

When I saw 'lengthened' a lot of things ran through my head. Could Wendy be playing with us? Could it be a trick? Could it be my lucky ni... morning? Is it a way to sniff out more FDK? <g>

But... then I realised that I don't care, I'm just happy there's *more*! laugh

It wasn’t just that the man had suggested Lois might be very sick. It was the calm, collected way in which he’d said it. As if he was telling Clark where the coffee-machine was.
Oooh, very nice! I have a feeling we've found a character we're going to love to hate. <g>

Another nail in his coffin. Clark tried to force back the lump in his throat. It was all his fault. He should have gone with the initial instinct to have Superman fly her here. Of course leaving her in the room where the gas had been bad for her!
Har! See, Clark? See?

*ahem*

Sorry. <g>

I really like nail in the coffin reference. It's like you're easing us into the belief that Clark blames himself so that by the time we get to the last bit it's as if we've known all along that he was beating himself up over it.

'Of course it's true! I knew it all along!'

Really fantastic, Wendy. <g>

“Wait a minute... injected her?”
For some reason... I simply love that line. I love the way you can read so much into it without a speech tag or another clue... we know *exactly* what's going through Clark's head with just. that. line. Wonderful! (<-look, I picked up a new word. <g>)

The timing’s highly unlikely to be that accurate if it’s true, but according to Ms Lane he told her that she has twenty-four hours to live.
Dun dun!! <bg>

Now, all we need is Tank to convince you that you've missed some sort of opportunity and I'll be set for tomorrow too. <g>

Dave (who hopes you'll excuse any stupidity since it's almost 2am <g>)

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#24933 10/24/05 07:55 AM
P
Columnist
Columnist
P
Oh no. Now you let us with a cruel cliffhanger ! I really hope for the next post very soon.

#24934 10/24/05 09:39 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
More story is good . . . except it's not enough more. And I notice you still haven't commented on a posting schedule (unless I missed it).

wildguy wildguy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard