Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Karen Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Oh, wow. I loved the first three parts, and I adore the end. Lex losing control, drunk. Lois standing up for Clark and standing up to Lex. And I think my favorite part of all, Ellen coming back with the medical bag, not running away like Lois had thought. Wonderful!

Now... what's this about a sequel?

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow. Speechless. Lost for words. Gasping in appreciation.

Lex defeated. Clark bloody and battered but loved. Lois resolved. Sequel promised. Eagerly awaited!! smile1

Wendy smile (who will now nag and nag David until said sequel is written and posted! wildguy )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! party

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great piece. thumbsup

I decided to leave them... for the sequel.
I want that sequel soon.

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FREAKING AWESOME!!! thumbsup And a SEQUEL, ROCKING!!!! thumbsup notworthy

D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Their, deleted it, happy???

You want to feed you're authors lies, go ahead. Noone can handle honesty at these boards!! mad

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Two thumbs up for unanswered questions. Even without the sequel, this piece stands just fine on its own.

Personally, Digital, it's not my favorite style of writing, but it has its artistic purposes. It's like painting a monochromatic. You only have 3 tools to start with, but the work can still turn into a rainbow. And sparse-y angst isn't really my thing, but it doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I agree that there are grammatical ways to achieve the same effect, but David took the road less travelled, and it seems to work for him. I find it a shame I can't get more in touch with this style of writing, but I'm glad others can.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Yes, I've spent the whole day at home... obsessive? Me? Nah wink

I promise to respond to comments properly once I've done my work, but... well... constructive (?) criticism always catches my attention.

Originally posted by digitalsky:
Why is alot of the story in incomplete sentences and sentence fragments??
The grammar part of my spell-checker on my word processing program doesn't work.

I do not understand. You can write the emotional stuffs okay, and keep the suspence mumbo jumbo going, have good words used, but you wrote the whole story in that format?? confused You sound more intelligent than this!!
Thank you.

I am rather intelligent if I do say so myself :p

I think I know what you were trying to do, but how you wrote it, does not work. I know some people here said it does, but it looks bad, tbh. It is all broken.You could have paragraphed correctly and still got the same affect.
Yes, I could have paragraphed correctly, assuming I had my grammar check fixed, but I don't think it would have had the same impact.

I do understand that not everybody is appreciative of this style, and I knew that I'd probably lose quite a few readers during the course of this story. There are times when I don't appreciate its use. And I stand by my original disclaimer - I'm still experimenting. The story I'm currently writing is in a different style because I think this style wont work for that premise.

For this premise I think the clipped sentences work, but you're definately entitled to your opinion, as are the people who've thought it does work. You may be right, they may be right. I think, in the end, it's a matter of personal preference.

Either way I thank you for taking the time to read the story and your comments.

The sotry was good, the suspence was good, word use was good, but the structure, not so good. Did you have this story proof read? Maybe if you had a proof reader, they could help you out on that?? smile
I did have the story proof read. Unfortunately the grammar function on my BR's spell-check doesn't seem to work either.

So, again - thank you for commenting.

David (Who has to admit that at this point in the story he expected to be pulled up for shooting Clark or the puddle of blood rather then his grammar wink )

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by digitalsky:

You want to feed you're authors lies, go ahead. Noone can handle honesty at these boards!! mad
Actually, no.

As I said, you're entitled to your opinion.

I can handle it smile

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Columnist
Columnist

You want to feed you're authors lies, go ahead. Noone can handle honesty at these boards!!
And there's this thing called respect. Now I understand everyone is entitled to thier opinions. But how would you like it if someone pointed out every mistake *you* did. Best thing to do if you feel something isn't right, is to email them. That's what I do. I hate it when people are really rude on here. It makes you feel worse. So basically it's up to you. You give respect to earn respect. Please treat others as you would like to be treated.

Rach laugh

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Originally posted by Psychofurball:

You want to feed you're authors lies, go ahead. Noone can handle honesty at these boards!!
And there's this thing called respect. Now I understand everyone is entitled to thier opinions. But how would you like it if someone pointed out every mistake *you* did. Best thing to do if you feel something isn't right, is to email them. That's what I do. I hate it when people are really rude on here. It makes you feel worse. So basically it's up to you. You give respect to earn respect. Please treat others as you would like to be treated.

Rach laugh
Actually, I would want people telling me everything that was wrong. I can handle the truth. I do not like to be lied to about things like that! You cannot improve when people are sugar coating things. But I guess that is how things work around here.. I was not being rude, I was being honest!

Columnist
Columnist
Actually, I would want people telling me everything that was wrong. I can handle the truth. I do not like to be lied to about things like that! You cannot improve when people are sugar coating things. But I guess that is how things work around here.. I was not being rude, I was being honest!
That's fine. But most people on here, prefer emailing bad commments. I'm one of them. I would stick to emailing if I was you. But do what you want. But do expect someone like me looking down on you. I think it's really disrespectful. So your choice.

Rach

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Who's to say anyone's lying here? It's perfectly fine for you not to like this story. We all have different tastes here; it's not a crime, and no one's opinion here is the end-all truth.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
<sigh> DS, just because others don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean they are lying. They simply disagree. It may be difficult for someone to understand that others actually genuinely like a story when they don't, but it has been known. wink I don't believe there ever has been a time on this planet when 100% of people agreed on anything 100%. Tastes differ. And if you're going to go through the world expecting (and demanding) that everyone agrees with what you like and telling them they are lying when they don't, then you're going to be doing a heck of a lot of arguing. goofy

If you can't handle people not sharing your point of view gracefully, then that's really your problem, rather than anyone else's.

If you don't like the way things are done on these mbs, there are plenty of other forums on the net for you to hang out in which may suit you better. And certainly, from other posts you've made in other threads since you joined, you don't really seem to be having fun here.

Once again - as has been pointed out to you already - the problem people are having with your posts (as in other folders you've posted in) isn't what you are saying, but the way you are expressing yourself. You're coming off as rude and belligerant. If you moderated your tone to something a little more friendly and respectful of others, you would find other posters would respond in kind. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hiya! I love this fic. And I love this style of writing cause its new, unusual and really thats rather refreshing. Especially like the way a lot happens with just a few words, perfect for writing a fic with a lot of fast moving action.

He was trapped in a heartbeat.
Now I realise this is from part 3 but, I liked it so much I'm quoting it here. Thats an amazing sentence in my opinion.

I liked the change to Lois' point of view.

The blood of the man she couldn’t help but love. Spilt by the man she‘d thought she could trust.
Aw! Poor Lois!

She couldn’t let him finish. Couldn’t let him say good bye.

Couldn’t let him give up.

Because some lies were easier to forgive.
Aw! Thats so...aw!!

The crack of glass echoed in her head around the sound of her heart beating.
Nice...

Anyways I'll stop quoting little bits cause I might end up with just about the whole story in here.

LOVE it D! :p Hope we get the sequel soon!

In this life of froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I was so glad to come on and see the last two parts posted. Very well done! I was at the edge of my seat the entire time, and I do think the style really helped with that.

There was actually a point in which I almost believed Clark would die in the story. eek Heh. And whew! wink

I look forward to reading the sequel.

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."
Columnist
Columnist
David, this story is amazing! Well done, and I'm so glad that there will be a sequel.

I thought this experiment with sentence fragments and short terse statements worked really well for this length of story, but for anything longer, it might not, except in short sections interspersed throughout during moments of tension.

Of course, this story was all tension!

Looking forward to the sequel.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, David. I really enjoyed this, and of course I enjoyed the plot. Clark gets shot? What more could I ask of a story. laugh In general, I thought the sparse style worked very effectively - you pack a big punch with those short, stabby sentences. However, I'm not altogether sure it worked over the four sections - getting punched line after line for four sections began to feel a little repetitive. I began to roll with the punches, if you will, so that by the fourth section, I was breezing through it fairly quickly without really noticing the effect.

I think maybe you could use this style for specific scenes in a fic - at times of heightened tension, say, or at the beginning of the fic when you're setting the scene.

Keep on experimenting, though. I used to do a lot of that myself when I first started writing, and it really helps develop your technique. It's also great fun, isn't it?

Now. A sequel. You have no idea how much I need this sequel. What do I have to do to get it? Please remember I'm bound by the laws of various countries when answering this question. laugh

Yvonne

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Dave, you know I adore this story clap All jokes and smuggery aside, I felt so lucky to get to enjoy it before anybody else. The style you've developed works very well for me - each line reads like a punch to the stomach! dance

*cough*And I'm willing to employ any means available to get it! wink *cough*

Sara smile [who STILL got the better end of the deal!]

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Originally posted by Irene D.:

I thought this experiment with sentence fragments and short terse statements worked really well for this length of story, but for anything longer, it might not, except in short sections interspersed throughout during moments of tension.
I completely agree smile

Hence the need for a sequel. I thought it'd be too much of a leap to change style and continue the story. I think the sequel will probably be longer than this one too...

Originally posted by YConnell:
Hey, David. I really enjoyed this, and of course I enjoyed the plot. Clark gets shot? What more could I ask of a story. laugh
I never imagined you'd read it, but I definately was thinking of you when I wrote that wink

In general, I thought the sparse style worked very effectively - you pack a big punch with those short, stabby sentences. However, I'm not altogether sure it worked over the four sections - getting punched line after line for four sections began to feel a little repetitive. I began to roll with the punches, if you will, so that by the fourth section, I was breezing through it fairly quickly without really noticing the effect.
I *was* worried about that. Quite a lot, actually. It was one of the things I wasn't happy about, over kill... but I think I didn't notice as much because it took so long for me to get the parts out that the previous parts weren't as fresh. There wasn't that constant hammering. It'll definately be something I'll keep a closer eye on in the future smile

Now. A sequel. You have no idea how much I need this sequel. What do I have to do to get it? Please remember I'm bound by the laws of various countries when answering this question. laugh
I'll have to think about that wink

I hope everybody realises that the sequel will have to wait - the next story I write will be for the Fundraiser DVD... unless I decided to be lazy and submit the sequel for the Fundraiser devil

- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard