Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229296 11/24/06 09:01 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
smile

I coded a very simple little utility which will reformat TXT files by removing the line breaks in them. It basically does exactly the same thing as what is explained in this tutorial by KSaraSara - except it will convert your files in just one click *and* if you stick all your files inside the same folder, the application is able to go through all of them and fix them all, instead of you having to open them one by one.

This is all the app does, remove line breaks... turning your fics into nice looking two or three column pages or changing the fonts is somewhat beyond my ability at the moment.

This link goes direct to the .zip file on my server -- it's very, very small (125k) so you guys on dial-up can get it without too much trouble. smile

TextFormat

There's a read-me in the zip, in case anyone reads those (*lol*), it explains how the app works, although it's about as straightforward as I could possibly make it.

If, for any reason, you have issues with it - or *gasp* you find bugs - I'm never very far away from a computer so don't hesitate to ask. smile

Cheers!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#229297 11/25/06 08:01 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
This is awesome! I wish I'd had this years ago. goofy This will definitely come in handy when I have time to play catch up with my fic reading! laugh

I do detect a problem, though. frown Hopefully a small one, but I'm not one for programming.

It works just fine for the newer fics, but there are older fics (and I'm not sure when the change happened) that have one extra space before the double hard return. This seems to throw the program off a bit. frown Maybe there's a way to code in an "if" function? (I say from my limited programming knowledge... knowledge that comes from 8th grade science class when we made Lego robots. blush )

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#229298 11/26/06 04:39 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
It works just fine for the newer fics, but there are older fics (and I'm not sure when the change happened) that have one extra space before the double hard return.
ooooops! I can certainly fix that. smile An "if" statement is all it needs for sure. wink

Can you point me to a story that's formatted like that so I can use it as a test file? I was using one that was on the front page of the archive last week - it didn't occur to me that some might be formatted otherwise...

Thanks! smile

#229299 11/26/06 07:10 AM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Definitely any of them from the first few years. This is the one I used for testing the program.

I'm glad it's an easy fix! laugh

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#229300 11/26/06 02:48 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Lara, you are officially really freakin' cool. Thank you for doing this!

smile1

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#229301 11/27/06 03:20 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
oi.... this is harder than I thought. sad

Somehow I thought it was just an extra space at the end of a line... An extra space at the end of the line I can remove easily (this way you will never find words separated by 2 spaces instead of just one) - it's a wonder I didn't think of that before!

This story, though... it has a forced double spacing plus indentation, and there isn't even a double hard return between paragraphs. *lol* I'm trying to figure out a magic formula for all this, but I'm not really entirely sure how to fix it in Word easily to begin with... I'll find something and make it work, I'm sure, it just might take a couple days. sorries!

#229302 11/27/06 04:09 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lara, I think you've done wonderfully as it is, and you're not going to find a program that will fix every story in the Archive - some of the early stuff has no standard formatting at all and is all over the place. You can't think ahead for every eventuality.

So don't apologise! You've been an enormous help.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#229303 01/20/07 09:55 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Holy rusted sheets of metal, Batman! This is really awesome. I've only used it once, but it saved me literally half an hour already!

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard