Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Just basking in the "recovered episodes" hullabaloo. I mean, we hear it every so often, but usually it turns out to be only rumors. New sources indicate otherwise this time - BBC news said it was expected to announced. Though, how many episodes, who can say. At least two. Then there were the rumors of all 106, but those didn't really make sense (but would be fantastic!). The country being tossed around (we don't really know that's the correct country) had over 70 distributed, I think. That'd be amazing. Even a dozen would be good. But an actual press conference seems, to me, to indicate more than two. They didn't have a press conference last time they announced two episodes recovered (as far as I know). What does anyone else think?

Kerth
Kerth
There have been rumours for weeks - I took them with a pinch of salt but it looks like there may be something in it after all since the BBC web site has admitted that it may happen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.

BBC Worldwide is expected to confirm the find at a press screening in London later this week.

It follows weeks of speculation that some lost episodes had been located.

So it's hopefully good news, but they may need to digitally restore them etc. first, or a lot of it may be better recordings of things they already have rather than something really new.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I know, I saw rumors this summer, but I didn't think anything of them at the time. I wonder if those rumors tied to the real find if they are just being conflated with a real find.

I will say Radio Times said previously unreleased Second Doctor eps would be released on iTunes later this week. Don't know if it's true. I thought about the Underwater Menace recently recovered (and not yet released officially, correct?), but that's only one Troughton ep, and the Galaxy 4 was Hartnell.

The timing seems strange - speculation (only rumors, I don't know any concrete basis) is now that they might have had the eps for a while. Or at least been negotiating/arranging for them since the beginning of the year. I'd think restoration would be necessary, too, but maybe they'll do unrestored cheaper downloads vanilla dvds now (for the 50th) and the better ones later? Don't know.

I enjoy the speculation - it's good entertainment value. But I'm not going to get attached to any numbers or titles just yet.

Edited to add: now Deborah Watling's site says she and Frazer Hines will be helping the BBC launch the newly found episodes on the 10th, so I guess there were some Two/Jamie/Victoria episodes found.

Kerth
Kerth
Turns out it's two 2nd Doctor serials that have been found - they're re-mastering them for eventual sale via iTunes and on DVD. The complete run of The Enemy of the World and all but one episode of The Web of Fear - they're apparently using stills for the missing episode.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/two-missing-doctor-who-adventures-found

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
Turns out it's two 2nd Doctor serials that have been found - they're re-mastering them for eventual sale via iTunes and on DVD. The complete run of The Enemy of the World and all but one episode of The Web of Fear - they're apparently using stills for the missing episode.

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/two-missing-doctor-who-adventures-found
I believe they are already available on iTunes (in fact, I read they were available in the US a few minutes before the press embargo expired). I'll wait for the dvds, myself, though.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard