Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
My daughter is 7. She was jealous that I was teaching her older brother some rudimentary html and css, so I showed her how to do it, too. I set up the basic html for the page and showed her how she could type in the file and show it in the browser. After experimenting for a bit, and asking for help with styling it to have purple script font on a red background, she proceeded to type a bunch of text into the paragraph tags. When I read it, I was surprised to find that she had started a My Little Pony fanfic.

At this point, she's more interested in continuing her story than in learning what the html tags mean.
Awwww. Like Mommy like daughter. clap

When I started writing again, after taking too long of a hiatus when my children were born, my children saw me and also got the writing bug. laugh Mostly they have been picture books with rudimentary stories or captions. The closest to fanfic my kids have done is the above story my son told to me about Superman vs. The Egg (more oral story than anything else).

My daughter did one about our cat, who died of kidney failure shortly thereafter. sad After that, she returned to just coloring and has given up the writing bug.

In the past year, my son has gotten really interested in writing books. He illustrates and has me caption about one story every week or two. I have at least three of them sitting on my desk to save (I've been scanning them into the computer and sending them to the family.). Mostly they are monster stories told from the monster's POV. The humans ALWAYS (with one exception) get eaten. Most recently, the stories have started including a moral. ("Don't leave a mess after you eat" for example.) The one he brought me last night was about a monster created by a mad scientist, who then gets eaten by the monster he made. Sadly, the monster also ended up dying and becoming a ghost. Since I haven't yet captioned this one, I'm not sure exactly what caused the monster to die, but if I had to guess I'd say indigestion. wink He even draws a bar code on the last page of the book.

Mrs. M, I'm envious of your computer skills you're able to teach your children. I don't think I even have those basic skills. This will put them way ahead of their peers in that respect.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
they changed their tune and decided that red sun Superman was like Batman, a hero with cool gadgets.
There are at least two versions of Clark being a Batman style character under a red sun. One where he and Jimmy Olsen are in the bottled city of Kandor and one where he and Lois are on a version of Krypton. In both cases he used Nightwing and Flamebird as identities. The story about that was what gave Dick Grayson the idea to use Nightwing.

[Linked Image] Clark and Lois as Nightwing and Flamebird

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mostly they are monster stories told from the monster's POV. The humans ALWAYS (with one exception) get eaten.
You know, this could be an excellent plotbunny!

--Who is the monster? (I was just thinking of AntiKryptonite's excellent fic, Man Or Monster .) The answer is very debatable.

--- Who was the exception that didn't get eaten? And why?

---Is the getting eaten only physical, or could it be mental or spiritual too?

Virginia, your kid is taking after you in making statements that really make me think about background and backstory!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Mostly they are monster stories told from the monster's POV. The humans ALWAYS (with one exception) get eaten.
You know, this could be an excellent plotbunny!

--Who is the monster? (I was just thinking of AntiKryptonite's excellent fic, Man Or Monster .) The answer is very debatable.
With the last one with the mad scientist, I'll have to agree. With the other ones, the victims usually were hapless people surfing, lying on the beach, or in their boat prior to becoming the monster's meal. (Hmmmm. Just realized most of his monsters come from the sea.)

--- Who was the exception that didn't get eaten? And why?
I don't have that story right in front of me but if I can recall correctly it was a Godzilla type monster who attacked NYC and bit off the top of the Empire State Building, but then decided to befriend 3 boys on the street who were nice to him (because they liked monsters) and they went off together to have ice cream and lived happily ever after. laugh

---Is the getting eaten only physical, or could it be mental or spiritual too?
He's 6, so everything is literal. Very bloody, very gutsy, with the victims' bones/skeletons (and sometimes pants) being spit out at the end.

Virginia, your kid is taking after you in making statements that really make me think about background and backstory!
laugh Thanks. He is a bit of a dark character. You should see him in his SM costume*, though, he can light up the room with his 1000 watt smile.

*BTW: SM Costume not supplied by me. He received it from a classmate on his last birthday. Henry Cavill will have stiff competition in 20 years. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard