Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Merriwether
Merriwether
Sara missed a golden opportunity when naming this feedback thread. It should have been called:

FDK: In A Better Place 17 or On behalf of the family ... holy freakin' cow!

What? Too wordy? goofy

This was so very fun. From Elise's reaction to meeting L&C, to Madge's reaction for the same (Lois Lane glared at me! LOL!), to Elise knowing all along that her brother was the throwback. (And just because it's such wonderful dialogue, I must mention Elise's "I mean, on behalf of the family ... holy freakin' cow!" line all over again. smile )

Like Pam, I cheered when Madge explained they couldn't detect L&C because their souls were already present -- I knew it, too!

But I especially loved how Madge was willing to give Tempus his due. He really was an absolute genius, and I have a feeling Madge is going to miss him when this is all over. Her sweet Frederick notwithstanding. smile

Part 18, please, please, please! Will it be the New Adventures of Silas and Petal? Will they hate each other on sight? goofy Do they have any idea that they are the present incarnations of L&C's souls? And will Silas take that job that Madge now knows she has to offer him? LOL!! I bet she feels just like Perry White. <g>

Tomorrow! Can't wait!

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Probably should have edited this in, but there have been a good number of posts since mine.

Just wondering... Did anyone else catch the religious overtones to the Clark/Madge scene, and, if so, how did you feel about it?

Madge is there, in the museum which is all but a temple to L&C, despairing, knowing that she needs a miracle, and then he shows up from out of nowhere (or maybe from above) and quietly, gently, kindly offers help.

I'm not sure how much fatigue contributed to my emotional state, but for me, seeing that scene through Madge's eyes (thanks to the magic of CC's writing) was about as close as a firm agnostic* can get to a religious experience.

Did anyone else see that scene that way, or was it just me? If you did see it that way, what did you think?

Just curious.

Paul

*I'll just leave it at that for simplicity's sake...

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Can't say that I did, Paul, but I can definitely see what you're talking about. smile

Oh... and topic edited just for Kathy because I totally missed that in my excitement from reading. goofy

And to bring her back to life from the Rest and Reproduction days...

[Linked Image]

Sara wink

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
πŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts πŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
First of all... the thread title and Sara's pic!! LOL!

You don't know how many different things I tried and failed to get Elise to say when introduced to her ancestors.

She very stubbornly stuck with that, though, and now I'm glad!

So...nearly there. Am I the only one who is going to miss these meetings?

I have promised myself that once this is wrapped-- and I've caught up with all the great writers whose stuff I've fallen far behind on-- I'll just unplug my brain for the summer. Set it out in the sunshine and let daisies grow in it.

But this has been such a great, fun thing for me. Thank you for this! razz </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Labby saw that coming from a long way out, Wendy. wink

And on the subject of soulmates:

I thought the soulmates that Marge was keeping an eye on were Elise and Hank (I thought that they have something very special going on.
I left Madge's one reference really vague just for that reason, gerry. Readers could decide for themselves who they think it is. (I know who they are, but like Madge, I'll never tell them...)

This... I just *loved*

"Listen, Silas, I can't talk. It's the end of the world."

"Wait, Elise, listen to me! It's the end of the world!"
Actually, Paul, I could have copied and pasted all of your story comments on this last part. They made my writer's heart beat gleefully. Thank you!

*runs up and hugs CC*
*runs up and adopts Paul as her younger, smarter brother*

And while we're on that:

CC, you obviously have experienced sibling rivalty,
Chris, I'm the middle child. That's all I'm saying. (But it says a lot, doesn't it?)

He really was an absolute genius, and I have a feeling Madge is going to miss him when this is all over. Her sweet Frederick notwithstanding.
Ah yes, and I tried to write teeny, tiny hints of that. I imagine the years of trying to out smart each other has given their relationship an unusal sort of closeness, a begrudging respect and admiration.

*hands the Madge/Tempus ship off to KathyB for further exploration*

Last thing, because it just floored me, the religious undertones of the Madge/Clark scene:

Did anyone else see that scene that way, or was it just me? If you did see it that way, what did you think?
Holy cow.

You know, Paul, when I first read that I thought maybe I'd been busted. Finally. For years I wrote acts of worship and liturgies for the Methodist church. It's a language in and of itself, and while I've never been blatant, I've often used some terms and phrases, etc., because I find them powerful and universal even when telling Superman stories. For telling any story, really. So, when I first read your comment, I thought 'Shoot, so much for my secret identity.'

But then I really looked at that scene. And dang, if you aren't exactly right. I didn't have it in mind, not. at. all. What I did know was that even though each character held a small piece of the puzzle, it was to Madge I wanted Clark to first 'appear.'

From here I will take a paragraph that is in no way meant to be offensive to you religious types (of which I am one, btw), but read no further if mixing the secular and sacred makes you cringe.

So.

Ok.

If I stand back and look at it, I can see how closely it mirrors many a 'angel arrives in a dark hour bringing good news' story. And stronger still, the parallel to Easter morning in the Garden with Mary Magdelene. To her mind all is lost, and the words first spoken to her are "Woman, why are you weeping?"

You know, it makes me wonder... what *else* is in there that I've never seen??

Theological discussion concluded. And maybe that was only interesting to me and Paul, but thank you for indulging that one last ramble!!

Part 18 coming up later. Still tweaking, still fretting... the usual!

Thank you to everyone who read and commented on this part. Part 17 is my very favorite. That you liked it so well is really gratifying.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awesome! I just finished reading the last few parts. I was in Russia over a week and am just catching up! Great job. I love Silas being Superman. Laura

Clark: β€œIf we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard