Yeah, yeah, I'm parking... but I'm being greedy today. Brb! :p

...back!

She pulled back from him and he let her go immediately, raking an agitated hand through his hair, wondering how to begin to speak to what was between them. The words of his heart so tangled he knew they would never string together coherently.
Wow... gem! That's a great sentence, that last one. And awesome show of emotion right before it.

He thanked the stars that had guided his ship from Krypton, thanked the currents that had led him to Metropolis, and thanked whomever had designed the Cosmos for this gift, this preview, of loving Lois Lane.
Awwwww!

Which left him with the Family Council yet to contact. And more specifically, Elise. He would call her and tell her everything.

And in so doing, take her world apart.
Can't you just *feel* the weight on his shoulders? frown

He straightened his stance, squaring his shoulders, just as he had seen Clark do. His grin mocked him. Some Superman.
That's just beautiful. That parallel/comparison thingy. He knows as the throwback he'll have some responsibilities, but boy is he having doubts! Poor guy! frown

Some had been hard, too heavy to tell... up until today, until this morning in the records room with Clark, who had known those secrets, and understood them in a way no one else ever could.
How very true. And this tells me he's been hiding this from everyone for a while now, though... was he ever quite sure of the extent of his secret? I'm thinking not.

He wanted exactly that, right? To be off the hook. To have the job placed into hands more competent than his own... which were shaking.
No, he didn't want that. Not really. He's just terrified to death that he's the last person on Earth who could handle being a superhero. And what a nice semi-parallel to how Clark's been feeling all along during his first few days as Superman.

She picked up immediately, nearly startling the com from his nervous grip. “Well? What did he say? Did he agree? What took so long? I’ve been dying here!”
Oh geez, Elise! Nice choice of words there. smile1

She remembered the old saw about never meeting your idols; they’re always bound to disappoint you.

Baloney. This one was even better in person.
AWWWWW!!! Love those lines!! Love them!

Also, she would have missed the whoosh of his exit, which thrilled her to her toes. She’d read about that, but to see it...

Madge pressed one shaking hand over her heart, a chorus of joy like a choir loft of angels sprang to voice inside her head singing over and over, “Oh my God! He’s heeeerrrreeee!”
I feel like I should be dancing or cheering or something...

The current incarnations of their souls were already present. It was Madge’s job to know that, and though she would never tell, it was her pleasure to work closely with one of them.
OH?!?!?! Petal? Is it really Petal?!

Right out in the open... alongside dozens of look-alikes...

Tempus. That evil, brilliant bastard. All his bragging had been right. He really was a diabolical genius.

Madge found herself laughing. She almost wished he hadn’t been eaten just so she could tell him so.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Pocketing her zip-com and imagining handing it back to her and fussing at her for forgetting it, he headed out the door. He would go back to work. He would finish this, fix this, and get her back.

If there was any justice in the world, that was the way it would be.
Oh that's just beautiful! And... I'm near crying.

“Our time here has been very...” Lois paused and searched for the word. “Bizarre,” she concluded, in the same instant Clark said, “Wonderful.”
Love that!

She would remember this. Maybe even cheat horribly and tell it to Fredrick.
Love that too!

“...a few crumbs,” Lois finished for him.
*snork* LOL!!!

And Lois was being rude and abrupt! Oh, this was too, too good. Madge knew she didn’t deserve this, but was grateful, all the same. And she would tell Fredrick. How on earth could she not? A newer, more open policy was in the works anyway. She decided quickly that justified it very neatly.
ROTFLMAO!!!! Oh that's just great!!!

“Right,” Clark said. And then he did the oddest thing. He threw back his head and yelled, “Help, Superman!”

What in the name of...?

Lois looked just as blank as she felt. “Clark, what the hell are you...?”

Clark draped an arm around Lois’s shoulders. “I didn’t get a chance to tell you-”
I'll tell you... I'm so glad no one's near me right now... because they would have seen my face light up and my hands rise from the keyboard to clap with delight. That's right, I clapped! Big dork that I am squealed along with it... but.... YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“I was on my way when you called,” he blurted at once, “and you will *not* believe what my brother-in-law does for a living.” Catching sight of Madge, the young man holding her assistant’s wife stopped talking at once. “Oh, um, hello.”
Wow... the women in the story are just so great! (I've decided... why use another word than great? it won't lose its meaning, right? wink )

“Sis, this is Gramps,” said Silas with a huge, face-splitting smile. “He’s holding up pretty well for his advanced age, don’t you think?”

“Holy freakin’ cow,” said Elise, then immediately blushed hotly. “I mean, that is, on behalf of the family... uh... holy freakin’ cow.”
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!! And.... another ROTFLMAO for the "on behalf of the family..." laugh

Lois shrugged. "I'm good at flying with brand new Supermen."
LOL!!!

And she was back and all business. Or mostly so. Sweet Fredrick, of course, was the owner of her heart and her loyalties, that went without saying, but good heavens she wasn’t dead yet. She felt a little less guilty when Elise, happily married to Hank, as she well knew, wore an identical look when Clark wrapped his free arm around her.
*snicker* LOL

"If you didn't, we were going to," said Lois pointedly, and Madge felt a thrill of fear... or really, just a thrill. Lois was fussing at her!
ROTFLMAO!!!!

“You can’t look for what can’t be seen,” Madge tried to say comfortingly, but his chest muscles were so hard against her side she might have just said ‘meow’, she wasn’t sure.
Oh god! I should NOT be cackling with laughter! This is the climatic end of the world scene!!! rotflol

"He's going to be good at this," Elise told Clark quietly, her eyes shining. "I wish I could have known you, but thank you, for whatever you did for him."

Clark looked at the young woman he held. Probably not any younger than he was, he realized, but his granddaughter, all the same. The instant kinship between them felt exactly right. "I honestly don't know who helped who more," he said, just as they burst through the doors and past dozens of dancing and clapping Peacekeepers.
Awwww!!! Now I'm crying because that's so sweet!!!

To be concluded on Tuesday! Thank you for reading!
Okay... don't kill me guys... actually relieved to see this. Why? Well... I'm going to be SO late for work! Eeep! But, hell! It was worth it! I'll be back later to expound upon all the intelligent things everyone will say. wink

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.