Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219877 01/08/09 04:08 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi all wave

I am trying to find some information concerning some cardiomyopathies.

Also any information about the transplant system you have in the US and organs donation. Does it work per state or per the whole? How is priority given? Any information would be of great help smile

Thanks MDL.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#219878 01/08/09 09:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know just a little bit from my uncle. He's waiting for a new heart, and I can tell you about his process.

http://www.unos.org/
UNOS is a big non-profit group to help network doctors, patients and organ donors to help organize transplants all over the country.

It's taking my uncle about a year to get on the waiting list. He had a surprise quadruple bypass in Feb. 08. They had to kind of exhaust the other heart options first. Open heart surgery didn't help him, his pacemaker is giving him some borrowed time, etc. He had to wait six months after his surgery before he could meet with the transplant coordinators--that was in August 08. And he's scheduled for a psychiatric evaluation in 5 days. If that goes well, they'll put him on the transplant list on Jan 13 09. They gave him about a 4-5 month estimated waiting time for a new heart. He's very sick and was not supposed to even make it through surgery last year, so I suspect he's somewhat of a priority.

http://www.optn.org/policiesAndBylaws/policies.asp

Priority depends on the organ, depends on who's a match for the donor, and depends on the patients in the waiting pool after they determine who all on the waiting list would be a good match for the donor. That link breaks up some pdfs into individual organ information.

Hopefully some of this is helpful...
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#219879 01/08/09 03:15 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
It was very helpful. thank you so much!!!

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard