Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Love this story. thumbsup

“Gr- great grandson,” he said in a choked whisper. “My great, great, great, eight greats in all, grandmother was... your ...” He stopped and lowered his elbows to his knees, raking his hands through his hair.

“Our daughter,” Lois supplied.

Clark looked at her sharply. She had said that so easily. She hadn’t screamed, fainted, or... hit anyone. In fact, she had sounded almost as if... she believed it.
hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Part of me wants to stop here. Leave the rest up to your fertile imaginations, because... well... I believe we've hit the penacle of feedback. No place to go from here but down! And this high is... high. I don't want to leave it! I want us to all stay here, gathered round the warm fire, enjoying how smart we all are. Can we? Please?

Well, think it over and get back to me, ok?

Here we go. All so good, so very, very good. (Really, we should stop here.)

I do love that woman. She didn't quite stuff Andrus in the locker next to Herb, but she sure came close!
Yes, exactly! And, again, big thanks to James for providing an excuse for Wells non-appearance which fit the mood of the story so perfectly.

But now you have met Lois, you simply can't be satisfied with anybody less. So...Silas isn't like to live in Utopia. Could Mr Wells take him along to adventures to another universe where there is Lois without Clark
Really, really like this. And... that's all I'm saying.

Yeah, it works.
Whew! And, furthermore, hurray! That globe scene- meant to be a three-way revelation- who Clark is, who Lois is to Clark, who Lois and Clark are to Silas- basically killing a lot of plot birds with one, erm, globe, nearly did me in. Tweaked it so much the words looked like gibberish. Thank you to the panel of consultants who assured me otherwise! And to the readers for such great confirmation.

This*, my friends, is why we didn't get much from Lois before. All of it before... though emotional, was really all just intellectual realizations and revelations. She really hasn't seen it til now. None of it, even after she accepted the veracity of the whole thing - Utopia, the Museum, the marriage, the legacy... she really didn't truly understand until now. Now, it's her heart's turn. This is her heart and her soul realizing her place in the world.
And this, too. Yes, yes, yes, yes. And thank you!!

Now for the gigantic wrench in the works, compliments of diabolical genius KathyB- close, personal friend and brilliant plot-thinker:

Which would mean that the real man we know as Tempus has another name, a secret identity ... like John Doe (heh) ... or John (dare I say it?) Kent ...

but after reading Kathy B's, I'm going to have to go lie down.
KathyM isn't the only one who had to go lie down, because... holy cow!! Here's a ramble. I read that while doing the jaw-drop thing exactly like our graemlin friend. I could *totally* see that.

Tempus as the ultimate black sheep. Maybe just wanted to be invited to be on the Family Council. Maybe just wished to be in the JL, but he is one of his generation with no enhanced abilities, so he was passed over. Maybe was just sick and tired of sitting at the kiddie table during Thanksgiving dinners. And then he meets Wells, who trusted him *because* he was a Kent. And he decides, suicide or no, he's going to pull the whole thing down around his ears.

Gads. I *love* that. And don't think I didn't spend a lot of yesterday contemplating tearing off the back half of this story and writing just that. Under the guise of, 'Yeah, sure. That's what I meant. Of course I thought of that, because I am so smart!'

Only, it's KathyB who is the smart one. Still... so tempting... so very, very tempting.

And rivka is now forgiven for any complaints about the lengths of the chapters. Because of this:
The Peacekeepers' entire existence, from the donut-shop facade on down, seems to be devoted to ensuring that the populace of Utopia never have any clue as to the terrible, ever-present jeopardy they are in. With Tempus tirelessly trying his best, non-existence is a specter that looms large. That knowledge would panic Utopia. Panic is likely not very compatible with a sharing society.
In fact, rivka, you are forgiven any future complaints as well. Consider yourself covered for the duration, because... exactly.

And Toc, also, has won the immunity necklace, with this:

I loved the way Lois and Clark have meshed into the classic partnership/friendship/soul-mates thing they do so well. And they've done it without really realizing it; that is, they started out with disbelief and some animosity, at least on Lois's part. And even Clark didn't originally define what he felt for Lois as love - it took him awhile to realize that what he was feeling for her was love. So here they are now, just a few days into this whole situation, and they have evolved to the point where they finish each other's thoughts, and they interact as if they've been together for years.
Oh, so great. What I've been trying to do, and finding really challenging, is write a 'slow-build' love story in a tiny window of time, against the backdrop of a legendary love, and not have it feel false or rushed or short hand. Reading this made me feel all kinds of better!!

Seriously. I think we've hit the highmark. Let's think about resting here, ok?

Also, I have an afternoon of soccer and Little League, so... if we do decide to move on to part 12, I strongly discourage it, it will be a few hours before it's posted.

Thank you, again, so much to all readers! (And Maria! Welcome back!!) sloppy sloppy sloppy

You guys are making this *so* much fun!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hi, I'm new, but I wanted to take a minute to let you know how much I am enjoying this story.

Some thoughts on Tempus/John Kent:
According to the soulmates explanation, souls cannot be created or destroyed: everyone who exists in Utopia will exist, Tempus is just trying to change the circumstances of their existence. What he's doing really isn't going to make him cease to exist; but it will change his geneology and his history.

I'm wondering if the reason the soultracker can't detect Lois & Clark at this time is because Tempus has hidden them in a time when their souls are already present? (Silas & ?)

I'm expecting that the Silas-Elise-Elise's husband connection will be the key to the Peacekeepers finally locating Lois & Clark.

I'd like to see Silas meet his soulmate before they go: Petal maybe?

I'm pleading with you not to take away all of their memories at the end of this story. I really hated the throw-away ending for Tempus Fugitive.

And I really don't want to have this story interrupted at all; but, if it's absolutely necessary, I'm willing to trust the author's judgment regarding whether this is a better stopping place than the end of chapter 12. I'd rather stop and rest here than be left dangling off a cliffhanger like some of those we've seen at the end of previous chapters.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us, and ditto all of the wonderful feedback you have received from everyone else. smile

L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
I have been voraciously reading, and yet hardly commenting at all - because usually when I read your stories, I get blown off my feet, and it takes a while to process what i feel for comments.

I love the ongoing thread that Utopia is not really... well... utopia. And I've always thought, to my humble self, that the world as described by Tempus does sound a little flat. I would dearly love to live in a world where children are never harmed, where rape/murder doesn't happen, but wouldn't want this to also mean that the fire in the human heart that makes life interesting would also be dampened.

I love how you've written this museum to be so hard and horrible for them. I love how you have had her slowly transition from blaming him to believing in what's going on.

I love that Silas has a crush on Lois... and yet, so much of him IS Lois.

And that interesting comment about "Throwbacks"... hmmm. That almost sounds like an epithet.

Fascinating stuff, and I owe you scads upon scads of commentary.

I will... when I read this again through from start to finish. Until then, I eagerly await the next part!

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Merriwether
Merriwether
The immunity necklace, heh heh.

Gads. I *love* that. And don't think I didn't spend a lot of yesterday contemplating tearing off the back half of this story and writing just that. Under the guise of, 'Yeah, sure. That's what I meant. Of course I thought of that, because I am so smart!'

Only, it's KathyB who is the smart one.
LOL! Well, I gave it my best shot, but sure enough, I've proven myself a really bad guesser. It was fun while it lasted, though. I got a compliment out of CC (brilliant plot-thinker, whee!), got to play more on this thread (which may well become my playground during those two weeks CC is gone ... will rereading story comments help with the withdrawal symptoms?), and -- yes -- found out that I was barking up the wrong tree with my theory, but at least now I can move on and start thinking up new ones. Theories, that is, not trees. I wonder if they have sugar maples in Utopia ... they are so pretty in the fall, the ones that turn that brilliant reddish-orange ...

What? Oh ... sorry.

Um, back on track -- as was said above, I would bow to CC's superior knowledge of the story if she thinks that part 11 is a better stopping place than part 12 or 13 for this two-week break that is going to kill me anyway. No guilt, though, CC ... buddy, pal, heart of my heart, writer of my ... um, words? Though obviously not of my plots. wink

Kathy

Top Banana
Top Banana
I would bow to CC's superior knowledge of the story if she thinks that part 11 is a better stopping place than part 12 or 13 for this two-week break that is going to kill me anyway.
I promised you part 12 and it's coming, really. Though thank you for the 'get away free' card, Kathy! Very sweet and generous of you!

And L, thank you for your comments. This:

I would dearly love to live in a world where children are never harmed, where rape/murder doesn't happen, but wouldn't want this to also mean that the fire in the human heart that makes life interesting would also be dampened.
So great. And that's all I'm saying...

And that interesting comment about "Throwbacks"... hmmm.
I have no comment on this either, just... yay!

And Onaleia, welcome! Thank you so much for letting me know you're here and reading. And as for your comments... you have some things *exactly* right. (I'm just not saying which ones. wink )

Ok. I'm tweaking and part 12 should be up soon.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard