Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trinity Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
As you may remember from this thread , I was assigned to do a paper on Superman for my Film & Fairytales class this semester as a final project.

I thought I would post this as a follow-up, so you all can read the actual paper and let me know what you think.

Please be kind. I appreciate criticism, but the paper has already been turned in, so I can't change anything now.

Big thanks to Zoom for putting this on a webpage for me so I could share it with you.

Thanks to Jenn for proofreading it for me before I turned it in, and thanks to Deb, Chris, Lisamaree and the rest of the IRC Evil Leaguers for your help on answering my questions.

So, without further adieu...

http://www.swamptropolis.com/essays/essay.htm

*UPDATE 1/16/08*

I finally got my paper back today.

Grade: B+

Comments from my professor:
"A good overview of the history and change in the Superman character. Some close attention to one film version would have added to the paper."

I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping I would get a better grade, but a B+ is nothing to be ashamed of. smile

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Be kind, huh? goofy

Why didn't you mention Lois and Clark, Trin? Was it that unimportant in the grand scheme? frown

A propaganda piccy to go with.

[Linked Image]

'Well shucks, if we'd known all we had to do was bury the enemy in pieces of paper, we could have saved a hell of a lot of time and effort winning that war.' (not mine)

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Great job, Trinity!

I noticed you got a lot of the information from the documentary released last year. Good thing it came out, huh? wink

Well, as for gr8shadesofElvis's comment:
Why didn't you mention Lois and Clark, Trin? Was it that unimportant in the grand scheme?
I think that, because the show is more focused on Lois and Clark and not so much on Superman, it doesn't exactly "fit" into Trinity's essay about Superman.

You might think that "Smallville" shouldn't be in there either, since it's not about Superman per se, but it does concentrate on how the boy Clark Kent became Superman, with a few twists (at least that's what I remember from the few episodes I watched a couple of years ago; I'm not a big fan of "Smallville", and haven't had the chance of watching recently, so I might be wrong blush )

Just my two cents.

malu

Trinity Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Bump. wink

The final grade is edited into the original post.

++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Eva Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey Trinity,

I already told you on IRC, but I'll tell you again: I really enjoyed reading your paper. It's well-written and I actually learned something new.

You have some great thoughts in it (especially about Superman being "the ultimate American immigrant" and the Bible connections) and it's well-written and perfectly edited wink

Should your academic curiosity take you to the subject of superheroes again, I would love to read it smile

Thanks for sharing this,

Eva

kill a cliché, save a reader
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Hey, Trinity, a B+ is nothing to sneeze at. I remember that back in the days of typewriters and eraser tape (you're too young to know much about those), I did a research paper on the character of Daisy in "The Great Gatsby." Daisy was pretty much the antithesis of Lois Lane in smarts, ethics, personal drive, and everything else except beauty. I blamed everything bad in the novel on her, and I still think it was an original idea which was well-executed for an 18-year-old who wasn't nearly as smart as he thought he was.

I got a B- on my overall. Made me mad. But I lived through it.

Say, is that your picture you're using as an avatar? You're quite attractive, and you have a very nice smile.

I'm not nearly so pleasant-looking. I could mash my face into a bowl of dough and make gorilla cookies.

Keep up the great academic work, Trin!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
I think that, because the show is more focused on Lois and Clark and not so much on Superman, it doesn't exactly "fit" into Trinity's essay about Superman.

You might think that "Smallville" shouldn't be in there either, since it's not about Superman per se, but it does concentrate on how the boy Clark Kent became Superman,
These things are all about personal interpretation, of course, but still I was surprised about the omission of L & C, too.

I thought that L&C:The New Adventures of Superman was quite a bit about Superman and so it added depth to what the superhero was all about. The Superman of L& C:TNAoS was more complex than any we've seen before and perhaps since. (I haven't seen SR so don't know if SR added anything further.)

Smallville hasn't been about Superman at all in it's 7 years on the air. Instead, it's sort of redefined Clark Kent as an alien Degrassi kid. laugh Seriously, though, it's eliminated Superman from the equation.

btw, what documentary?

Congratulations on that B, Trinity smile

c.

Trinity Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:

Say, is that your picture you're using as an avatar? You're quite attractive, and you have a very nice smile.
Aww, thanks! Yep, that's me.

Thanks everyone for the compliments and support.

I guess I can live with a B+ smile

++++
(About Lois & Clark)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard