Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
So now we know more about Silas -- I hadn't realized he was so young, for one thing. And you're right, he has issues. But heck, he is descended from Lois, so that almost goes without saying.

I see Lois is still unsure what to think -- but that she's getting closer to accepting the concept.

Loved their argument about cooking <g> And it was good writing to have that bit from Silas's POV.

In fact, the whole thing was written disgustingly well smile

I am dying to know what Silas has about the Time Traveler, and why he reacted so strongly to the mention of him. Although, thinking about it, the family (and the Peacekeepers) probably don't want anyone to know that Tempus exists, because he is still a threat. And Utopia is not supposed to have any threats to worry about. And one way to make him appear not to be a threat is to treat all the Tempus stories as fables -- maybe even deranged ravings that one would be embarrassed to mention in public? I can't wait to find out if I'm right at all...

Roll on part 9 -- Saturday, right?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
Oh. Wow. This. Is. Freaking. Good. Wonderful. More , More, More (my rebel yell)!

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Pam says, "Worth the Wait"! Ack!! But we have to wait longer!!! *whine* Saturday is WAAAAAY to far away! whinging So cruel of you to keep me on the edge of my seat like that! mecry

Fantastic stuff, CC!!!! But far, far too short!! wink

Sara frown

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Awww, sweet scene in the beginning. Her tenderness towards Clark had me *sigh*ing.

You write their banter so well, the argument over the stove? Priceless!

So Silas has the info they, hopefully, need. This next part should be verrry interesting. Are they in the same time as Madge and crew? Someone mentioned that that may be why they don't show up on the gauges..good theory.

Anyway, I'm just here to be entertained, I don't think to much into it. Boy am I getting my money's worth! smile

~Liz (<==just sittin' right here waiting for Saturday)

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Issues? I'll say! I just want to boot that Silas in the head! What's wrong with him? He doesn't want to investigate the unusual? He hears an unmistakable reference to heat vision, and doesn't ponder? I get the feeling he has an inferiority complex, or something. Am I way off base there?

I'm glad they're finally going to talk. It'll serve Silas right if his eyes pop out and roll across the floor and into a vent.

Okay, maybe I'm being too hard on him, but I still say someone needs to thwap some sense into him. Or just thwap him.

Glad Lois is finally buying the "future" theory, and Clark seems to believe it as well. smile

I get the feeling Silas was lying about having information to show them, but I could be mistaken. thumbsup

~•~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, I think I just realized how pathetic I am. I got home around 8 in the evening, and all I accomplished in the next hour was hitting the 'refresh' button over and over again <g>. A million things that need to be done, and I couldn't take my hand off the mouse. Can you tell you have me hooked, CC?

I have this feeling that this is going to be one of those stories that I just read over and over again because I'll find something new each time - another great line, a little tidbit of plot info I missed here or there. I'm so intrigued by the Lois-Clark dynamic right now. I love how she's watching him... she knows him, but she doesn't. He's her partner, but he's not - he's her future husband. He's Clark, but he's not - he's Superman. I can't imagine being Lois. I think I'd sleep, too <g>.

One part I *adored*:
It was soft, lush under her fingertips, and she sank her fingers into it, turning off the part of her brain demanding to know what the hell she thought she was doing. “It wasn’t that,” she said, and she almost didn’t recognize the voice as hers, the tenderness in it so unfamiliar.
How I love when she doesn't think about her actions and just goes on instinct, especially when it comes to Clark. And the unfamiliar tenderness in her voice? Oh, Lois, you're a goner and you don't even know it. Well, actually, the cool thing about this story is that you kinda do know it <g>.

Can't wait until Saturday!

Tracey smile

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
CC, I've been reading this with great interest although I haven't been replying much.

I find it interesting that Silas is referring to Tempus as the Time Traveller. I'd think that was H.G. Wells. Time Traveller seems so tame in terms of what Tempus tries to do when he's moving around.

Like the others, I'd like to see Silas's reaction to what Lois and Clark have to say to him.

Definitely can't wait until the next part.

gerry

Top Banana
Top Banana
That chapter just proved it. Silas is "galatically stupid!!"

It seems obvious that Silas is some kind of black sheep to his family.

Like everyone else, I'll be waiting for Saturday!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Uhm, well .. it's pretty surprising that Lois warms up to Clark that fast, considering the situation and its pressure wink But hey, I won't complain if I get some cute scenes faster this way!

What I noticed too is the fact that both Lois and Clark asked about Tempus, this strange guy who appeared with Lois' diary and sent them into the future while they've not mentioned the Peacekeepers one single time. I dunno, but it's not surprising that they got THIS reaction! Anyways, if I met two time travellers, one good and one bad, Lois would probably search out for the bad one (so the story is more fun) laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ack! You have to end it there?!

Anyway, someone commented on Silas' lack of investigation skills when it came to him overhearing the dinner experience; my one thought is maybe Silas just thought Lois and Clark were doing some kind of extreme role-playing mentioning the heat vision and all. They probably have some insane fans around...I don't know. You know. :p

Oh, and Tracey, you think you're insane? My art history final is in less than 7 hours, and what am I doing? Certainly nothing that has to do with sleeping or studying! smile1

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Kerth
Kerth
So when is Silas going to faint after Clark floats? laugh

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm finding all these comments fascinating.

Anyway, someone commented on Silas' lack of investigation skills when it came to him overhearing the dinner experience;
My thoughts on this one were that Silas is living in a society that has no crime, no one up to anything bad or sneaky...so his instincts for that kind of thing would certainly be dulled. He's naive and trusting - like all Utopians. It's his basic nature. I don't think it's in him to be too suspicious. It's like asking a lion to be a vegetarian. goofy

I'm so delighted that everyone is having as much fun with this story as I've had reading it while beta reading for CC. It's been a joy to follow this one.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Hi

Wowwwwwwwwwwww

They are gonna talk finally!!!!!

I can´t wait to read the next part

Karla

Merriwether
Merriwether
I've been enjoying the discussions in the previous parts' comment folders (especially part 7) though I'm clearly reading this story in a different way. I'm not analyzing very much or worrying *at all*, I'm just standing with my arms open wide, saying "come on, story, wash over me!" Just loving it and having fun with it and appreciating the smile I always have on my face while I'm reading. So thank you for that, CC. smile

This part didn't disappoint -- Silas is back (yay!), Lois is not only starting to accept her future but realizing that Clark is pretty darn cute (double yay wink ), and now L&C are about to find out more about Silas and the family's knowledge of Tempus (woo hoo!)

My favorite bits -- Lois's realization that she has never used "adorable" before in her life (yet what a way to finally have it hit you!!) and Silas being completely confounded by the fact that someone came inside despite the sign out front that asked them not to. LOL!

My biggest surprise -- Silas is so young! I wasn't expecting that ... I had pictured him as in his early to mid 20's, a contemporary of L&C. I guess I'd have to go back to the earlier parts to see what gave me that impression. Maybe the fact that he thinks he has a chance with "Lorraine"? (Who is all of 25-26 at this point -- maybe future Kent men go for "older" women. <g>) Or maybe his boredom and disillusionment, which seem like he's gone a few more rounds with life than a twenty-year-old would have.

I didn't even blink, though, as some have, over Silas not being more curious -- as has been mentioned, he lives in a world where there isn't ever anything *to* investigate (which is probably why he's so bored, LOL) so there is no reason for him to be suspicious. His first thought is to help them acclimate, which proves that he's a descendent of Lane *and* Kent. smile

Can't wait till Saturday!

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow this was a really good chapter/ I loved Lois's confusion when she woke up and was observing Clark. Silas is in for a surprise! I guess he also has some superpowers. CooL! I was so into it and then it stopped!! No!! I need more! Soon! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Interesting segment, CC. It answers some questions but raises more.
She had her own secret hopes, as well. The fantasy she would never speak aloud. Maybe you would call it finding true love. Not a hearts and flowers sort of love, but a real love, with someone who knew her and supported her. Would never leave her, never judge her and find her wanting.

That didn’t make her unique; everyone wished for that. It was human nature.

But what if... she had gotten what she wished for? Everything she had ever wished for?
I loved this passage. If Lois got everything she wished for, then that meant she had to be that kind of person, too, and I think she knows that she isn't ready for that kind of responsibility. At this point in her life, she couldn't pull it off. In fact, she's so far from being able to provide that kind of love and support in return that she probably can't even imagine herself doing it. Scary stuff.
“I... I... do that in my sleep, sometimes,” Clark was stammering, obviously misreading her silence. “I know it looks strange. I didn’t mean to... to... well... make you uncomfortable.”

His eyes were everywhere but on her.
Everyone else commented on the tenderness Lois showed in response, but I wanted to point how scared Clark is. In stories where the hero hides behind a fake identity, the internal conflict usually deals with his belief that no one would love him if they knew everything about him. This is such a beautiful example of that. Clark is convinced on a deep level that no one besides his parents would accept him if they knew how weird he really is. It's one of the joys of the series to see Lois teach him that she will accept him no matter what--and vice versa.
At her nod, he pulled her into his arms, or he didn’t have to pull, not really. At his first gentle tug, she went to him. Into his warmth, his solidness, his goodness. The one thing that made sense, that soothed her, the eye in the storm.
Someone mentioned how quickly Lois was warming up to Clark, but I think she's still seeing him--at least in part--with those Superman-dazzled eyes, and we saw her flip head-over-heels for him immediately. This part especially reminded me of that first flight with him when he took her back to the Planet. It also recalled echoes of "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape": "Something about you always made sense to me."
"You have to be smarter than the stove, Superman."

“And we’re back to that,” the man returned dryly. “And again I ask you, how much cooking experience do you have in the current century?”

What were they doing here? Silas wondered for the tenth time in the last ten minutes. Besides the obvious, which was, apparently, making dinner. And that was puzzling enough on its own.

“...can use my vision, but it won’t taste as good.”

“Use your...? Oh! Cool! Do it. I want to watch.”
I didn't even blink, though, as some have, over Silas not being more curious -- as has been mentioned, he lives in a world where there isn't ever anything *to* investigate so there is no reason for him to be suspicious.
I guess this is another thing that is my problem. I'm not an investigator or private detective, and I live in a little town that doesn't have a lot of crime, but I am endlessly curious. I want to know what and who and when and where and how and especially why. Because of that, I can't imagine why Silas isn't wondering about these two, particularly Lorraine's friend, whom she calls Superman, who talks about "the current century," and who mentions heat vision. Silas knows all about super powers. C'mon, wouldn't it at least occur to him to wonder if this guy is a super-powered Lane-Kent cousin he hasn't met? That doesn't take an extraordinary degree of curiosity.

Then again, I can think of at least two reasons why he doesn't think that (even though they really don't satisfy me): first, like Pam and Kathy, I was astonished to discover that Silas was only 20. As I lay in bed thinking about that revelation last night, I remembered that you had introduced him by saying he had set his college schooling aside to run the museum for a couple of years, but for some reason, that didn't get rid of the picture of someone older (mid-twenties) that I'd gotten in my head. But his youth could explain his total lack of interest in anything outside his immediate concerns.
He could hire them. Offer them a job. Maybe they were hard up and new in town. Possibly from a far off place, one of the few that didn’t adopt Utopian ideals? He’d heard there might be some of those...

If that was the case, then maybe they just didn’t realize there were programs in place to take care of people. To offer jobs and placements and food. In a sharing community no one had to go without. They just needed to learn how to give and take.

Yes, Silas nodded feeling better. That was it. They didn’t know how things worked. And they needed a little help.
And the second reason is that Silas was just being his usual Clarkish self, more concerned with helping the strangers than in finding out what was going on with them. And yes, my use of "Clarkish self" was deliberate after this:
And helping Lorraine would be...

He skipped over the thought ‘his pleasure,’ but it would be something he would be really glad to do. And with her amazing resemblance to Lois Lane, he could put her to work, and maybe get to know her a little better.

Spend more time downstairs and less in his office...

Take her home to meet his parents...
My first thought was that we were looking at one of Clark's later incarnations. Who else would tumble so completely and instantly for Lois Lane? So that's my final reason for not telling you that Silas is a pea-brain for not wondering what is going on. If he's Clark, meeting Lois has knocked him for such a loop that he's lucky to be able to keep any other thoughts in his head.

Now, if it turns out that he isn't this era's Clark, well... wildguy wildguy wink

What time are you posting the next section today?

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
WOW!!! I just wanted to comment on Sheila's fdk... I've been enjoying your insights immensely, Sheila!! For every part, you've pointed out something that I hadn't noticed or thought about... or sometimes just things that I couldn't articulate with anything other than an "AWWWWWWWWW!!!"

Speaking of "AWWWWWWWW!!!!" ... This comment/insight of yours just hit me right in the heart:

Clark is convinced on a deep level that no one besides his parents would accept him if they knew how weird he really is. It's one of the joys of the series to see Lois teach him that she will accept him no matter what--and vice versa.
GAH!!! So great! I really, really love that!

The other thing that got to me:

It also recalled echoes of "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape": "Something about you always made sense to me."
*sigh*

Just had to say that.

Oh... and: CC... it'll be officially Saturday in 12 mins in my neck of the woods... Have to leave for work in 10 hours and 12 mins... any chance you could post before then? goofy

Sara (who now thinks she really may need help... leaving detailed fdk on other people's fdk... blush )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
You guys just kill me. You're not only fanfic readers and writers, as you would seem to be at first glance. You're a group of psychics. Seriously.

So, I am going to be doing the 'no comment' comment wherever I can. Though some of you have won prizes!!

To start off:
And Utopia is not supposed to have any threats to worry about. And one way to make him appear not to be a threat is to treat all the Tempus stories as fables -- maybe even deranged ravings that one would be embarrassed to mention in public?
To ChiefPam goes the crystal ball. Not sure she needed another one, as she has apparently been gazing into one. But there you go.

And then:
Anyways, if I met two time travellers, one good and one bad, Lois would probably search out for the bad one
Bettina- welcome!- and you've won a lifetime supply of chocolates for summing that little plot knot up in a nutshell. First, their memories are still fractured on the whole event. They have bits and pieces of it. But, yes, the bad guy is absolutely who stands out for Lois, and the one who has their focus... for now.

My first thought was that we were looking at one of Clark's later incarnations. Who else would tumble so completely and instantly for Lois Lane?
The award for this one is so tough. You know how you play those carnival games and you're off the target by the teeniest, tiniest bit, a fraction, but still so close you really should get the prize? I'm not saying that's what this is... just, Sheila should maybe get a sticker or something. Or a coupon for a free soda.

Next Category, Things Said Better Than I Could, but which hit the mark and warm this writer's heart. (Should probably get a shorter category title.)

I'm so intrigued by the Lois-Clark dynamic right now. I love how she's watching him... she knows him, but she doesn't. He's her partner, but he's not - he's her future husband. He's Clark, but he's not - he's Superman.
I love how that captures the push/pull Lois has when she is contemplating all of this, and how her life fits his.

Which brings me to:
It also recalled echoes of "Don't Tug on Superman's Cape": "Something about you always made sense to me."
That is exactly what I was trying for. In the midst of the confusion, the craziness, there's this rightness about Clark to Lois. Of course that works both ways. Comforts her, but also makes her nervous because... it comforts her!

His first thought is to help them acclimate, which proves that he's a descendent of Lane *and* Kent.
Yes! And I have loved the Silas speculation, every bit of it. QoC wants to boot him. Chris finds him galatically stupid. Lab pointed out that he is from a time that doen't really know subterfuge and suspicion. But this one quality noted here is one I hoped wouldn't be lost. He does ask if they need help. That is his first inclination, despite his absolute inexperience with those who break the rules.

Oh, and this:
my one thought is maybe Silas just thought Lois and Clark were doing some kind of extreme role-playing mentioning the heat vision and all. They probably have some insane fans around...I don't know.
No comment. But Jen gets a brownie. Which she will need to share with Jose...
So when is Silas going to faint after Clark floats?
Thank you to all of you for your participation. For your comments and good words and hard questions. You are all so generous and I really do appreciate it. sloppy

Ice cream for everyone. Pick your flavors. You totally deserve it!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Merriwether
Merriwether
So busy Thursday and Friday I didn't even have time to sit down and read the new part. ( eek I know!) But I did manage to print it out, so I could read it over the weekend when I couldn't go online. And then I was greeted tonight by the next part! I'll go comment on it momentarily.

But this part first.

Silas is just wonderful. In all the ways everyone has mentioned. And the Lois-Clark banter is so much fun -- and SO them.

My main complaint about this part is the same as before: too SHORT!

One nit, though. I could not, at first, parse this sentence:
“Better than I can do with a stove I actually understand and cookbook with the directions written for toddlers, believe me.”
I think it would actually be clearer minus "with the directions written" -- that is,
“Better than I can do with a stove I actually understand and a cookbook for toddlers, believe me.”
Then again, it could just be me. smile

Back to Silas . . .
Silas laughed, loud and bitter. “Get out. Both of you. Right now. And if you come back, I *will* call the League and report you. They will be on the look out for you. And you will be deported. How’s that?”
Oh, they deport people in Utopia, do they? Man, I hope it doesn't involve syringes . . .

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I got lost in 1776.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard