Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212608 07/27/07 05:15 PM
Trinity Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I've been a part of a few forums over the years, (mostly role playing writing) and found that almost every time I end up contacting and/or getting contacted by members outside of the board, usually via Yahoo IM or AIM.

Just curious how often you guys talk to each other outside of the forum, if at all?

-Trinity

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It depends. Right now I keep up pretty regularly with some people on LiveJournal and a couple on Facebook.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
I mostly talk to people through livejournal and email if it isn't on the boards.

Don't really chat so much on chat programs anymore.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Kerth
Kerth
I don't, basically - I come across a few people here occasionally at other fanfic sites, that's about it. I do have a livejournal though, and some people I've encountered through fanfic are on my friends list and vice versa.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Any contact I have with folcs is through these boards, and the exchange of emails with a few of them.

I did meet with Wendy and John for a pleasant afternoon a couple of years back when they were passing through the area.

Interestingly enough, my close friends that I 'hang' with I never have any electronic contact with, even if they have computers. About the only one I do is my sister, who lives far enough away that a phone call would be long distance.

Tank (who has no real life so he's on the computer a lot wink )

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I keep up with a few people on LiveJournal and chat with some through MSN.

I've gone and met a few people as well - for the Kerths and the the alt-Kerths, I was with some of the girls from the boards (who live a few timezones away, actually... I've travelled pretty far...) and next month, when the nKerths take place, I'll be with yet another person whom I know through here but haven't met in RL yet (and really looking forward to that!)

I've made some pretty close friends here. smile

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There used to be a large percentage of forum members who also hung out on irc. But in recent times, they've mostly either lost interest or moved on to other chat mediums - livejournals, AIM etc instead and the old community has shifted elsewhere or died away.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
That surprises me that anyone would say the fan contingency has died off on IRC ... it seems to be alive and well as far as I can tell. Then again, I am newer to the whole chatting community and first heard about it through Zoomway's boards, and I so enjoy the mix of newer members such as myself, and the veterans who are all-knowing fans of Lois and Clark who were there through it all and may have picked up on things that some of us didn't during the show's run because we were younger.

I love the passion that the fans have and it's so fun doing things like episode viewings. The amount of trivia that people know blows my mind.

I assume there aren't similar chats through this board because it's only geared toward fanfic, right? Too bad, because it's a lot of fun and it's great to talk to fans from all over the world!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That surprises me that anyone would say the fan contingency has died off on IRC ... it seems to be alive and well as far as I can tell.
Ah, that's because I wasn't referring to the fan community as a whole, EJ - but to the majority of members of this forum in the past. Trinity's question was related not to the fan community as a whole but this forum in particular and that guided my thoughts in responding to it. I was referring to a specific group who used to hang out on the irc channel #loisclark and who used to form the core group of members here. And who have since moved on to other chat venues. And other things. They don't hang out here on the forum either much these days. I miss them here, too. frown

I've gotten the impression that the core group on this forum these days isn't much interested in chatting on irc, preferring livejournal, AIM etc to do that on. Although I'm absolutely sure you're right and there are some members here currently who do hang out on irc on Zoomway's #lanekent channel, along with the members of her forum.

I assume there aren't similar chats through this board because it's only geared toward fanfic, right?
Good grief, no, not at all! laugh In its day, #loisclark was a thriving, fun place to hang out and the conversation ranged over every topic under the sun. In fact, it was probably rare to find anyone in there talking about fanfic. goofy The last time I visited, the main topics were the delights of pregnancy wink and Dr. Who.

But, over the years, as I said in my earlier post, the main group using it drifted on to other things. Other ways to chat, or lost interest (I have to count myself in that category. Although there are times I miss my nightly chat in irc and the fun times I had in there, I just can't seem to find the time these days to fit it in on a regular basis). And, although there have been specific attempts to introduce the new core group of members here to the idea of chatting on irc, it doesn't seem to fit them, so there's been no new influx of...chatters...to make up the loss of the old guard, so to speak.

Having said that, #loisclark remains open and if there was any interest from members here to chat on it, all they need do is post in OT with a time and date and I'm sure they'd find someone in there. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by LabRat:
The last time I visited, the main topics were the delights of pregnancy wink and Dr. Who.

Hmm... was that the Tuesday night chat you organized a couple months ago?!?! I think I was a part of that smile .

Course... I'm not pregnant anymore either! party

I miss those irc days too...
Carol

Features Writer
Features Writer
Labrat, Carol and everyone ... come on over to IRC using the link available on Zoomway's boards and chat! It's always hopping and the conversations are a lot of fun! It's always nice to see new faces and I'm sure you'd enjoy meeting some other fans!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard