Print Thread
#212210 06/19/07 01:03 PM
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Okay, I read this story once (or heck, I could have heard someone tell it on a tv show), and I can't recall where or what it's called. I'm afraid it's terrifyingly well-known, and I'm going to sound like an idiot, but that may only be because I think of the Prodigal Son when I think of it, even though it's different.

Essentially there are two brothers. They get their inheritances. One brother stays home and I think he marries and has kids and has the normal life and all, I think. The other sets out to see the world. He becomes rich, and maybe famous and maybe even royalty (I just can't remember) and has this exciting life. Things take a bad turn, and he loses all his money and is fleeing for his life. He goes home to his brother and tells his brother all that he's done. And his brother is like "don't you wish you stayed home?" and he's like "don't you wish you'd gone?" And I just thought it was so cool. I mean, that different people find happiness in different kind of lives seemed the message to me, and I liked that.

Hope I'm not misremembering too badly.

#212211 06/19/07 05:20 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It's not the central theme, but something similar happened in "Gloriana" by Patricia Finney, when David Beckett goes home after twenty years and meets his brother. Only, he was disinherited by his father.

I guess a lot of books have that story line. BUt i can't think of one in which it's the main story. confused

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#212212 06/20/07 12:04 AM
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
It's not a book. It's at best a short story. Maybe even like fable-length. Like I said, it could be a story I heard a character tell on a tv show. I'm not sure. But it's definitely short.

I do hate it when you can't find out where something came from. Heck, I'm annoyed I can't read the rest of the story of something I saw on a standardized test a decade ago. Yes, I'm a little strange.

Thanks for trying to help.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard