Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KathyM Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I started off the folder, and then got delayed by phone calls, etc. Now it's 3 hours later, and I've FINALLY had a chance to finish this section. And I have to say...

Awesome.

I've said that before, haven't I? Well, I have a feeling that I'll be using that word a lot more before this saga is over. And I'll need other adjectives as well - time to break out the thesaurus again.

Hmm...so why can't the soul-tracker find them? The only idea I've come up with is that Tempus has zapped L&C into a future beyond the Peacekeepers' current existence - and they can't read into the future. But Wells was able to track them both into the past and into a future beyond when he originally lived, so presumably the Peacekeepers would be able to as well.

Well, I love time-travel, dimension hopping, etc. So I'm eager to see the explanation.

The Tempus stuff is, as always, just splendid. Madge seems to understand him well, but he may have just outfoxed her this time.

The L&C interlude in the park was wonderful. I love how Lois is filing away all this information in her head - there's the investigative reporter hard at work - and the poker face conversation was wonderful.

“I’m new at this,” he apologized sincerely. “And you’re right. I’ll practice.”
Loved it.

But as much as I loved all the stuff that came before, I really fell head over heels when I saw Clark's reaction to the DP globe and it quickly became apparent that it's a museum with tour guides representing the characters we know and love. I'm dying to see more about how L&C react to this. Hope I make it to Saturday... grovel

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Moved from the other thread...

LOVED THIS!!! I'm so glad you've already got part 2 posted.

I love Madge; she is such a wonderful character. I love their panic when Lois and Clark's life sign readings are registering, love Tempus's mocking words (you write him SO well!), and love Lois and Clark's confusion when they wake up in the park.

Love it, love it, love it!!! (Did I mention I love it? )

Even though I've had the privelege to read this already, it's been a while since I've read these opening installments, and they're even more fabulous than I remember. I'm enjoying them right along with everybody else!

Can't wait for part 3!

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, CC.

This is good. I really liked being inside Lois's head as she gathered all these little clues about him. Especially the guess about him needing to be 18 to get his flying license goofy

But the Daily Planet... whoa. It's a museum. And the Luthor/Cage exhibit???? L&C are in for such shocks... can't wait to see them <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
clap

Next part ASAP pleaseeeeeeeee grovel

Karla

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ACK!!!I'm late! geez you take your kid to get her tooth pulled and next thing you know CC's got a whole new section posted!!

And oh boy what a doozy!<...forehead slapping icon here, or maybe this guy notworthy

TEEEEEEEJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Where have you sent them?” she thundered to Tempus, who was barely visible under the large pile of coworkers who had dived onto him in the instant it had taken their heroes to disappear.
Shut up, really? They disappeared? That's awesome...well, not ideal, but that's just a really great idea. Anywho.

Clark cast a wary glance at the women in his group, young and old. Surely, it was just his imagination. He currently didn’t know down from up. But they seemed to be.... eyeing him... as if he was on today’s lunch menu.
LOL

Meanwhile, good God, I'm going to pull my hair out! What is going on?! Where *are* they? How can it be off the Utopia radar? Can the peacekeepers find them? 2001 questions pour out.

Otherwise they’ll all leave here debating why she didn’t love him like he did her right away.
And the 'he' here is Clark, perhaps?

I smell disaster.

JD
smile1

Edit: <And thanks to everyone who pointed out that the DP is a museum wherever and whenever they are>

Oh good God, thanks for pointing that out, Vicki! I clearly was not paying attention and would have driven myself crazy LOL.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
Pam, I think perhaps that is Luthor-Cage (as in, cage made of kryptonite), not Luthor/Cage.

But this is CC, so I'm prepared to be completely mistaken. goofy

CC, this is just so great that I have no words! Except to say that I can't wait for the next part! smile

*buckles up*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
CC - I'm stunned by this story!! It's just wonderful, very different, thought provoking and completely hypnotic. WHERE are they?? And thanks to everyone who pointed out that the DP is a museum wherever and whenever they are - I just thought that someone had gone nuts and everything everywhere is some kind of homage to Superman. Poor Clark!

You've brought up, or you've had Lois bring up smile , so many great points that were never explored in the show - Clark's mannerisms, his familiarity with the planet (golf courses, do not trespass signs, litter, etc.), and I love how you've had her counseling him on how to develop a better poker face, etc.

I LOVE this, and can't wait to see what happens next.

I got a kick out of the fact that nobody seemed to think about removing the ring from Tempus or physically restraining him in any other way but having lots of bodies lie on top of him. wink

MORE please! smile

V

The world is made up of three kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay part 2!! grumble

CC you have me ROTFLMAO during most of this. Love, love, LOVE what must have been Lois' and Clark's stunned expressions as 'Perry' went on his tirade. Soooo funny!

Where in tarnation ARE they? I can't even begin to figure out what you have in store for us..darlin' (as Tempus would say).

woooohooooo..

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well I have to hand it to tempus this time. He really has them in a pickle now<g> Of course I am wondering why the world isn't just dissapearing since Lois and Clark are missing from there own time. I am looking forward to hearing all about Lois finding out the story of Clark Kent/superman. I wonder how she is going to take it. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Tempus, who was barely visible under the large pile of coworkers who had dived onto him in the instant it had taken their heroes to disappear.
rotflol rotflol

This is great!! Fast-paced, funny, and riveting. I love the almost caricatured descriptions of Tempus and the Peacekeepers. I love the tongue-in-cheek discussion/lectures Lois and Clark are having, with her trying to pry stuff out of him, and giving him advice at the same time as to how to conceal that same stuff... And he's acting more and more Clark-like, more and more familiar with her as they interact. I've always wondered if Lois would have figured out Clark's secret faster and earlier if he'd spent more time with her initially. By the time they were interacting regularly as Lois and Superman, her preconceptions (misconceptions?) were set in concrete and she saw what she expected to see. But in the beginning, if he hadn't been remote with her, maybe she would have tumbled to the whole CK=S thing right away.

-----

She gathered her robes and squatted down close enough to look Tempus in the eyes.
Madge waited. She knew he would tell her. He always did. Eventually.
Madge got comfortable.
I enjoyed these descriptions of the "interrogation"... you can tell they've all done this before, over and over and over and over... It's like Tempus is a one-man employment agency; because of him, all those other people have jobs as Peacekeepers or as ancillary Peacekeeper staff. Pretty funny!

And the over-the-top DP museum... as TEEEEEEEJ says, once Lois and Clark figure out where they are,
Tempus is going to make them so disgusted with their future they are just going to say "the heck with it"
And as to when they are, are they in the current present? The Peacekeepers' present? Would that make the soul trackers glitch out? That could explain Tempus's "place so obvious", except for the part about the one place that unravels all Utopia. Unless we go back to TEEEEEEEJ's comment above...

I'm looking forward to your next installment!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
CC

This is superb. smile1

Tricia cool

Kerth
Kerth
Rotfl!! goofy

Jose hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ah, Madge. Dear, dear Madge. You just have to love her. goofy She reminds me of one of those stalwart old biddies beloved of Ealing Comedies. laugh Capable, no-nonsense, doesn't suffer fools gladly and with a biting wit to keep her going through the absurdities of her job. She's just adorable.

The banter and interaction between Clark and Lois was wonderful. I think my favourite was Lois concluding that on Clark's planet you have to be 18 to gain a flying licence. laugh But, as others have said, there were just too many laugh-out-loud moments to count.

And then the capper - the Daily Planet museum. Wonderful!

LabRat (why isn't there more in my mailbox? You have a buffer to keep up, you know...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm late, and everyone else has said everything already! :p CC, I'm speechless anyway. I don't know how you do it. This is amazing - the humour, the deft touches with description and detail everyone else has mentioned. Madge and Tempus. Clark noticing things about how Centennial Park has changed and Lois noticing things about Clark noticing things. wink

And I think Janet is right. Lois doesn't need the Daily Planet museum; she just needs to be alone with Superman for another half-hour or so and she'll have him all figured out. goofy

As it is, I agree with TJ and others: I think they're in the present, in the Peacekeepers' time, and they're now inside a ghastly, tacky, Lane and Kent 'living museum' with costumed actors playing the parts of themselves and their colleagues. Never mind whether or not the penny will drop for Lois - in fact, there are several pennies to be dropped, aren't there? - I think she's going to deck somebody before too long! eek

As for this destroying Utopia, could you imagine the effect on Lois right now of being told that she'll marry the Mr Greenjeans farmboy, even if he is Superman? Running for the hills might be the tamest of her courses of action... wink

Roll on tomorrow!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
Brilliant.

Just freakin' brilliant.

Loved the banter between Tempus and Madge. (They reminded me of another couple near and dear to my heart ... Tempus/Madge 'shipping, anyone? <eg>) Loved that he sent them to the future instead of the past. (God, yes! So obvious, yet no one has thought of this before??) Loved that Lois kept picking up on these totally innocuous clues Clark dropped about golf courses and parks. (And especially her giving him the "help" he so desperately needed at this point.)

Loved Clark's reaction to the DP all gussied up; I actually gave the wooby lip when he thought that he'd scared everyone. (And LOL at the garishness of all the red, blue and yellow decorations -- I'm starting to see why Tempus wants to ruin it all! laugh ) And then I got to "the DW wing" and laughed so loud that I was glad my kids were still in school. ROTFL!!!!

But then I got to this ...

Not Perry raised his eyes heavenward, as if seeking guidance. “Isn’t necessary? Believe me, it is. Otherwise they’ll all leave here debating why she didn’t love him like he did her right away. Whether or not she was even worth the time and effort. We tried to leave it out, at the request of the family, but the Luthor-Cage exhibit really put them off her without it. It’s simple psychology, son.”
And I was back to "brilliant!" again ... holy cow, you are a genius. It's fandom played out as tourist theater played out as fanfic. I'm in awe.

(And I just have to mention my appreciation of the "Graceland" aspect of it all ... Perry would be so proud of you, CC!)

I'm enthralled ... nearly speechless in my awe (well, not really, because I'm writing all this feedback, but for me, this is like being speechless!) ... ready to bow down and beg for the next part.

Yes, I'm begging. Down on my knees. Ready to come down there and wrestle it out of your hard drive. Saturday, huh? It's a date.

Kathy

KathyM Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm back with a nit. Rivka posted in the fdk for Part 1

(Two nits: Andrus and replicant)
Well, the second one was nagging at me, so I went to look it up on dictionary.com

I think that "replicate", which is the word CC used, *is* the one she wants. They're referring to whether or not this could be a duplicate Tempus. But the only definition given for "replicant" is "one who replies".

The word "replicant" isn't listed in merriam-webster. I don't have a print dictionary at the moment.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is totally awesome story that took a turn waaayyyy out into left field in a direction I wasn't expecting. More as fast as you can!!!
replicate is the verb
replicant is the noun
I don't know what the dictionaries are saying these days, but "replicant" is common usage in science fiction these days. (ref. Stargate SG-1) The replicators are the little machines that replicate themselves everywhere (or did until the end of season 8) laugh
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, Kathy, but... From Meet John Doe:

ANDRUS
I leave in your place this replicant... a synthetic Tempus, who shall keep the people of this primitive time from asking questions better left unanswered.
and I suspect this is what CC's referring to. huh

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
That was indeed my assumption. And since I watched that episode not long ago, I was pretty sure of the word -- but I checked the script anyway. smile

I suspect the L&C writers nabbed the word from Blade Runner.

Definitions of replicant:
Wikipedia
Encarta

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard