Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206836 04/29/06 01:11 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Alright y'all, I literally JUST got back home after seeing the film. OMG it was ... Incredible! Amazing! Horrifying! Overwhelming! Honestly - there are no words to describe.

If you can manage to do so - you just HAVE to go see this movie!

I'll add that, I had second thoughts myself about seeing it. But a woman here in Nashville who saw it was interviewed on the nightly news, right after coming out of the theatre. She said that she didn't really want to see it, but she felt like she NEEDED to see it. My sentiments exactly, both before and after seeing the movie.

And don't wait until it comes out on DVD. The whole experience is much more important in the theatre. I went to a matinee and the place was PACKED! Barely a single empty seat. Unbelieveable. I haven't been to movie like that in years!

And the way they end it - OMG and WOW. Those of you who have seen it know what I mean - and it is for this reason that I am suggesting seeing it now in the theatre rather than waiting - those of you who haven't seen it, please trust me.

I just, I am so overwhelmed right now that I cannot even tell you how much I appreciate this movie. Yes, it was very difficult to watch at times - but think of how it was for those who were THERE.

I think it was very well done, and an excellent tribute to those we lost on 9/11. May they all RIP. We truly owe a lot to the people who fought and died on United 93, and at the very least I felt I owed it to them to see this movie.

United 93 Movie Website Here

P.S. Christian Clemenson stars in it, as Thomas Burnett - as many of you might know from previews, news coverage, etc. He played Rollie Vale (sp?) on L&C - and I just have to say that he put in a very powerful performance in this movie. thumbsup

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#206837 04/29/06 05:30 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for giving us your impressions, Genine. I've been thinking of going to see it after seeing the commercials. Now I'll make a bigger effort, as it sounds like a must see.

Apologize for getting OT here, but I was glad to see another Middle Tennessean on the boards. I was born and raised there, attended college there at TTU, but now live in VA with my hubby and kids. Would love to get back though, as all of our extended family lives there. There's just not alot of jobs in hubby's field there right now. Someday maybe. <sigh> I still get a little homesick sometimes, even though this is a nice place also.

Too bad hubby's not a country singer, huh?
wink

Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
#206838 05/01/06 07:53 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
thumbsup Just look at the per-cinema numbers. United 93 was clearly a winner in that area, and the packed theatre I was in sure proved it. clap

This is the first I've heard about the World Trade Center movie with Nicholas Cage in August. Kinda wish they went the same route as United 93 and used unknown actors to make it less Hollywood and more "real," but I'm definitely interested in hearing more about this one too.

Here's the article from Moviefone:

'RV' Passes 'United 93' to Win Box Office
By DAVID GERMAIN
AP
LOS ANGELES (April 30) - Audiences hit the road with Robin Williams as his family-vacation romp "RV" opened at No. 1 with $16.4 million, while the acclaimed Sept. 11 drama "United 93" debuted with $11.6 million.

Studio estimates Sunday had Universal Pictures' "United 93" in second place, just ahead of Disney's sports comedy "Stick It," which premiered with $11.3 million. Those rankings could change once final numbers are released Monday.

The weekend's other new wide release, Lionsgate's spelling-bee drama "Akeelah and the Bee," was No. 8 with $6.25 million.

The 20th Century Fox release "RV" was expected to debut on top, but "United 93" had been an unknown quantity, with Hollywood analysts wondering whether movie-goers were ready to relive the horrors of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"It's not about the positioning of the film. It's about the fact that the American public spoke out," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal Pictures. "This is a wonderful result. What they said was that it wasn't too soon for a film about Sept. 11."

Married couples accounted for just over half the "United 93" audience, and 71 percent of viewers were 30 and older, according to Universal.

With painstaking authenticity, "United 93" recounts the horrific end of passengers who fought back against their hijackers aboard one of the commandeered planes, which crashed in rural Pennsylvania.

Families of those killed aboard Flight 93 cooperated with director Paul Greengrass ("The Bourne Supremacy," "Bloody Sunday"), who re-creates the experiences of passengers and air-traffic controllers in a documentary-style drama. "United 93" earned widespread praise from critics.

Shot on a modest budget of $15 million, "United 93" should easily turn a profit once theatrical, television and DVD revenues are tallied. Universal said it will donate 10 percent of the first weekend's grosses to the Flight 93 National Memorial in Pennsylvania.

Playing in 1,795 theaters, about half as many as "RV," "United 93" averaged a solid $6,462 a cinema, the best results among the top-10 movies.

"We can now kind of put to bed any idea that people are not ready to see this type of movie. The numbers speak for themselves," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

Coming this August is Hollywood's second Sept. 11 dramatization, Oliver Stone 's "World Trade Center," starring Nicolas Cage in the story of two Port Authority policemen trapped in the rubble of the twin towers.

"RV," starring Williams as a dad taking his family on a slapstick-filled vacation, debuted in 3,639 theaters and averaged $4,507. The gymnastics tale "Stick It," starring Missy Peregrym and Jeff Bridges , averaged $5,523 in 2,038 theaters.

Overall business rose for the sixth-straight weekend, with the top-12 movies taking in $90.7 million, up 12 percent from the same weekend last year. After a big slump in 2005, attendance is running 4 percent ahead of last year's, with Tom Cruise 's "Mission: Impossible III" opening Friday and kicking off what is expected to be a huge summer at the movies.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "RV," $16.4 million.

2. "United 93," $11.6 million.

3. "Stick It," $11.3 million.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#206839 05/02/06 07:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I don't want to see this movie, but I think I need to. I'll just have to take my own box of tissues, 'cause I know they'll be needed. I can tear up just *thinking* about United 93... I remember on Sept 11th, I heard a plane had gone down in Pennsylvania, and they didn't know if it was connected, but I knew immediately what must have happened.

on another note:

Oliver Stone 's "World Trade Center," starring Nicolas Cage
ick and double ick razz Not planning to see this one.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard