Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Krissie Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself here.

The run up to Christmas can be pretty fraught, so I decided that perhaps we need a thread for holiday-related rants, just to blow off a bit a steam.

Let me kick off with this...

There I was, working on a Christmas-related project in the kitchen. And I thought, okay, I know it's still two weeks from the actual day, but it wouldn't hurt to listen to that two CD Christmas compilation that I bought a couple of years ago, would it? Might get me in the proper mood for splashing gold and silver paint all over the place. Yeah. That's what I'll do. I'll listen to the kind of music that for fifty weeks in the year I'd never even confess to owning.

So I put on one of the twin CDs.

Bad move. I mean, really, really bad. Misery making, in fact. For all sorts of reasons, only one of which has to do with the awfulness of Cliff Richard's recording of "The Millennium Prayer".

First track. "Angels," by Robbie Williams.

Now, don't get me wrong. I actually like that song. I mean, I really like it. I like it enough that when I recently put together a compilation of some of my favourite songs I included this one. But what, apart from having angels in the title and in the lyrics, does it actually have to do with Christmas? I've listened to the words pretty carefully, and I don't see any connection, myself.

Any Robbie Williams fans out there care to shed any light on this matter?

Next track. "The Power of Love," by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Anything to do with Christmas in that one? Not that I can see. In fact, seeing as how it doesn't have any angels, either, it strikes me as being even less Christmassy than Robbie Williams.

Track three. Ah, hah! This one has Christmas in the title. Okay, so it's "I Believe in Father Christmas", but at least we're finally on topic here.

Track four. Chris De Burgh's "A Spaceman Came Travelling." Now, see, I have a problem with this. Okay, so it's an allegory or something, but it doesn't really bear that much resemblance to the Christmas story.

Track five. Cliff Richard. Enough said. Trouble is, he turns up again later.

By this time, I've got quick-drying paint on my hands, my brush, my palette and on the ornaments I'm decorating, so I'm not in a position to drop what I'm doing to put on a nice upbeat requiem mass instead.

And so the music goes on. And on. And on. And... Well, you get the picture.

Does anyone happen to know whatever became of Mud? Because after listening to their song "Lonely This Christmas" I'm really tempted to seek them out and do them some serious damage. It's not just them, either. There is also The Magnets, going on about how "everybody knows it's hard to be alone this time of year."

Well, cheers, guys. I really needed someone to point that out to me because I'd never have guessed.

Just once, I would like for somebody to write a song saying that, hey, it's okay to be on your own at Christmas because it sure as anything beats spending time with squabbling families or visiting people you avoid for the rest of the year.

Well. I guess it could be worse. I could also have been subjected to Kylie Minogue's "Santa Baby" or "Christmas Wrapping" by the Spice Girls.

Oh.

Wait.

They're on the other CD...

Chris (who has another vent ready to go, all to do with inflatable Santas that hohoho at the unwary pedestrian)

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
rotflol rotflol

Oh dear, Chris. See, this is why the music industry will never eradicate the 'scourge' of downloading. Who the heck wants to shell out cash for compilations picked by idiots that are invariably packed full of songs you won't give tuppence for and usually end up only containing two at the most you'd ever want to listen to more than once?

Especially when these days you can hop on the net and compile your own collection of songs you really like?

I'm with you on Sir Cliff, btw. laugh

LabRat smile (who is actually having a stress free Christmas this year for a change, thanks to the fact that she unexpectedly and quite out of character got UberOrganised in October...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Robbie's "Angels" and Christmas? huh I would have never made that connection.

I'm totally with Labby on the downloading songs department laugh

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ick. That's why I *don't* buy albums sound unheard. smile Yay for downloading!

Doran (who wishes she had the money now to actually purchase some of the albums she's fallen in love with, and has to put them on a wishlist)

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yuck. This is why I go for the *good* Christmas music. Trans-Siberian Orchestra, for one. With the exception of that and the Grinch soundtrack, I have 902 megs of Christmas music, which includes Bing Crosby and other old classics.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Krissie Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Ahem. Does anyone (apart from me) still use dial-up?

Downloading? What's that? wink

Chris

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, ooh, I get to vent? Oh my god. I work at Bath & Body Works in the mall. I've been listening to Christmas music since OCTOBER. I worked from 12pm to closing today and it was just MISERY. /me crawls into a ball and cries. Okay, maybe I wouldn't go that far. But you know what the real problem is? I can only deal with needy people for so long, and ever since I had my vicious fall in the stockroom, I've been having to work the floor til my leg is healed. Misery. Okay, I'm done. I love this thread! I may be back before the holiday season is over. :p

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have the utmost sympathy for anyone who has to work in stores in the runup to Christmas. I'm always greatly surprised we don't have news headlines about store assistants running amok through the streets en masse waving axes.

I'm just grateful that I can avoid stores at Christmas these days, thanks to the net. Oh the pleasure in sitting down at the screen on an afternoon, with my favourite Christmas songs softly playing and a glass of wine at my elbow as I order my gifts in blissful peace.

Sure beats all those crowds, muzak, queues, stifling hot stores...<shudder>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
When I worked for McDonald's, I spent two Christmas seasons at a Wal-Mart location.

I still have nightmares.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Q
Qex Offline
Blogger
Blogger
Q
Christmas has been pretty easy so far... just got some shortbread cookies to bake for work. It's been fairly quiet there, so nothing much to rant about except for the store's hours next week -- 6am to 10pm. (5:30am on Saturday). It's already hard enough getting up at flippin' 5am to get to work for 7am... *sighs*

The best though is the weekend -- I normally finish on Friday at 8:30pm, but on the 23rd, it's 10:30pm. help

At least I finish at 2:30pm. I have monday off, as a holiday, along with my normal days off on Sunday and Tuesday. grumble

S
Blogger
Blogger
S
I was suppose to be making christmas cards for my friends in the cast/crew of the play I'm in yesterday.

I went to a movie instead.

Now...well...no cards, and I won't be seeing most of them after today! While I realize this is entirely my fault, it's just one more thing that makes me think Santa's lifelong goal is to irratate me.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was suppose to be making christmas cards for my friends in the cast/crew of the play I'm in yesterday.

I went to a movie instead.
You've my new hero. <G> I loathe writing Christmas cards for family and neighbours (funnily enough, in contrast, I really enjoy choosing just the right card and writing them out for friends. Go figure). Just loathe it. Every year, it's the bane of the season for me and the only part of Christmas I truly detest. I put it off till the very last minute and then have to rush to catch up.

So anyone who decides to go to the movies instead gets the thumbs up from me. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
I, joy of joys, bliss of all bliss, am in peace and quiet this year! my mother is not nagging me to do all of the stupid christmas decorations she always complains about anyway (and to be truthful, in my parents' house, calling it "putting lipstick on a pig" is hardly approaching the situation), and whining about the whole thing instead of making the obvious decision. if you whine about having to put up some garland, THEN DON'T PUT IT UP, DEAR! if you don't want to do it, DON'T DO IT! for cryin' out loud! smile1 the hardest decision i will have in all of this is which mass to go to---10 pm christ eve, or 8:30 sunday morning. decisions, decisions, decisions......

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
oh --- ps---

christmas music. besides the usual first mannheim steamroller one (the second was only so-so and after that, they were a fine waste of plastic) and george winston, i've been drifting irish. celtic christmas silver anniversary edition, celtic christmas 1, 2, 3, and 4....although one was fabulous, three was fabulous, 2 was so-so, and i actually don't ever listen to four. so every other one of those compilations is good. also.....just a couple of winter solstice discs..... "celtic solstice", good interesting music on it, but whoever put that project together was drunk. some artists go completely uncredited or even mis-credited, track 7's description belongs with number 8 on the cd, etc. MANY mistakes. what else....the only merely average disc Anuna put out, "winter songs". their average is someone else's astounding, though.

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
7 days until Christmas.

Absolutely no ideas of what to get for people's presents. No motivation to think of and go get presents... not to mention going to the mall makes me want to cry, even more so when it's packed. No one in the house has had the motivation to put up lights or the tree or any decorations.

I'm actually a bit worried because this is the worst case of bah humbug I've ever had.

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
My only holiday-related gripes this year are more school-related than holiday-related.

I'm in my senior year in high-school, and I'm taking three subjects this semester - not that much... considering some high schools don't even have our semestered system and have their students doing 7-8 subjects at a time, instead of 3-4. But still. I have 3 major assignments all due next week eek - and major means major. All 3 make up 15-20% of my final mark in each subject. The major assignments are always due at the end of the semester, but to free us from work over the winter break they're all due now.

I think I spent the last few weeks internalising the worrying process and pretending to be the eternal optimist, as usual, until I had a nervous breakdown last week. It doesn't help that I need a high mark, not just a good one, to get into the university I want.

I'm going to need the winter break more than I ever have in previous years.

And while we're on the topic of the break - my cousin was supposed to visit for a few weeks. I haven't seen him in more than a year, and three years before that. Since we grew up more like siblings (and friends) than cousins, not being as close to him for more than 4 years really gets to me... so I was really looking forward to seeing him. But he changed his mind at the last minute, so he's not coming. :p He'll be coming for the summer and staying both months, so at least it gives me something else to look forward to, and I can't really be mad at him for cancelling because he has his reasons, but I was still hoping to see him soon.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
7 days until Christmas.
No. That's...no. What?! I can't believe Christmas is a week away. I'm so excited, though; I took a week off work starting Tuesday to visit my family.

not to mention going to the mall makes me want to cry, even more so when it's packed
*insert laugh*
No really. You have much to fear. I spent 11 hours at the mall today because the store I work at just got...emptied. When we closed the store tonight to re-stock...there was nothing to stock. We had to go to our other storage unit inside the mall to start pulling boxes upon boxes out.

JD

Columnist
Columnist
Speaking as an employer here, what gripes me the most is the fact that all my employees get so excited about the Christmas season before it starts and are begging for as many hours as possible. But then, once it gets going, they all have family Christmas events or become ill all at once.

I'm up at 4:30 in the morning because my feet are screaming at me! I had a 14 hour day Thurs., a 13 hour day on Fri., only a 6 hour day on Saturday and a 10 hour day Sunday. It wouldn't be so horrible except I was on my feet the entire time. Ow! Ow, ow, ow!! And, oh yeah, I was only scheduled to work on Friday!

Yesterday, we were so busy - and short staffed. Thankfully, I worked with my two most experienced employees, and as the boss who's supposed to know everything, I could certainly hold up my end of the work load as well.

It was so busy and stressful, however, that by the end of the day, we were all left with pounding headaches and we all, at various times, felt light-headed and dizzy.

Thankfully, yesterday's customers were all pleasant and understood that there would be a wait as opposed to Saturday's customers who were downright nasty to three of my teenage employees. (14, 14 and 15) Not a great way to treat three young girls working (hard) at their first jobs!

There is nothing pleasant about this season for people who work retail! It seems most places are chronically short-staffed at Christmas and customers become uncharacteristically short-tempered. Add in the fact that it's fast-paced and so stressful that it's just plain nuts, and you have a prescription for the biggest 'Bah, humbug!' around!!

Okay, I think I'm done venting now.

Irene
waiting for the Tylenol to kick in....

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Speaking as an employer here, what gripes me the most is the fact that all my employees get so excited about the Christmas season before it starts and are begging for as many hours as possible. But then, once it gets going, they all have family Christmas events or become ill all at once.
Oh my god. Tell me about it. And what ends up happening is regular people like me get asked to work 11 and 12 hour shifts to cover all those employees' shifts. At least they seem to tell you they're ill, etc. Some people have not even been showing up lately, so their work gets foisted onto unsuspecting victims like me. And speaking for myself, I'm not exactly going to say no just because I actually care about the store I work at. We have like no stock left at the end of every night lately, and I know if I don't stay an extra 5 hours, everyone else is going to be there all night restocking. Especially since half the employees are always new hires who don't know everything yet.

BUT I will say I had a conversation with my assistant store manager tonight. It's great that they think I can do my job well, but I can't keep working open to close. So I'm quite impressed that you've held up on those double digit shifts! Two days of it has just knocked me out!

JD

Columnist
Columnist
I work those double digit shifts because as an owner, I have no choice. But it has definitely taken its toll and I can't keep it up forever.

Thankfully, I didn't have to work yesterday - which translates to me being in the store for only 3 hours. (g) And thankfully, I had a massage therapy appointment yesterday and due to the fact that I had much less pain, I was able to get a solid 7 hours of sleep. I don't feel great but I feel much better.

Today, it's just a short shift - 5 hours - but I also have to do a couple of deliveries in the morning and hopefully, do a couple of personal errands.

Let's see how long I can maintain feeling semi-human!

And yet, today, after a good night's sleep, I can say that there are some bright spots. I do have a great staff who work hard and on the whole, our customers tend to be more pleasant than the average mall customers.

Hope things improve for you, JD.

Irene
New personal mantra for the day: Only 5 more days of shopping, only 5 more days of shopping, only 5 more days of shopping....

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard