Print Thread
#202269 02/16/05 11:16 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
I have been looking for a job for the past two weeks, as my contract job ended. I was at a company for just over a year, and they were going to hire me, but had to go internally due to HR policies and the fact that they are having layoffs right now.

I did get a higher paying, long-term contract position at a large manufacturing company in MN known for doing military work. No benefits, but I do get a really nice, well-deserved raise. I start next week.

dance

It is soooo nice not to have to worry about how I am going to pay the rent at the end of this month!

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#202270 02/16/05 08:23 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hi, Emily. Congratulations! Believe me, I know just how you feel about no longer having to worry about where the rent is coming from!

Must have been a job fairy working overtime yesterday, Emily, because I, too, have just been offered a new job. I'm excited and nervous and... and now need to think about relocation and house hunting and all that kind of good stuff. Oh, and after a year of tromping around in mud and climbing fences, and generally destroying all my clothes, I also need to think about getting a new wardrobe for the office.

Chris

#202271 02/16/05 11:09 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well done, you two! Congratulations!

Chris, I hope this new job means you have regular internet access again. And, of course, you do know that it's practically obligatory to use your office pc to write fanfic when the boss isn't looking, don't you? It's a tradition, no less. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#202272 02/17/05 09:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Congrats, Emily & Chris! It's always nice to have *some* idea of where money will be coming from...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#202273 02/17/05 12:40 PM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Must have been a job fairy working overtime yesterday, Emily, because I, too, have just been offered a new job. I'm excited and nervous and... and now need to think about relocation and house hunting and all that kind of good stuff. Oh, and after a year of tromping around in mud and climbing fences, and generally destroying all my clothes, I also need to think about getting a new wardrobe for the office.
Congrats! Hopefully, this means that the economy is finally picking up. I can't believe my job search only lasted two weeks. It's contract, not permanent, but still. At least, it's not just another crappy temp job. wink

And, of course, you do know that it's practically obligatory to use your office pc to write fanfic when the boss isn't looking, don't you? It's a tradition, no less.
I might consider it if it was just a crappy temp job, but I don't want to risk it now, considering where I'm working. They do too much top-secret stuff, and I'll be in one of those top-secret divisions. The division I'll be working in deals with testing those little black boxes that the govt. buys for the Air Force.

OTOH, I don't think there's anything preventing me from bringing an old-fashioned notebook to write in during lunch break.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#202274 02/17/05 03:45 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
OTOH, I don't think there's anything preventing me from bringing an old-fashioned notebook to write in during lunch break.
I used to do that when I had a job. wink Right now, I'm back in school trying to train in a couple of things so I can find better work/a job in general. Been unemployed for a couple of years. frown

Still...I find myself bringing those "notebooks" to school, just in case if inspiration strikes me. wink

#202275 02/17/05 11:04 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
smile1

Tricia cool

#202276 02/20/05 07:37 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Thanks.

#202277 02/20/05 08:10 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Congrats, Emily, and a great big YAY! to Chris. Well done, both of you!

Yvonne smile

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard