Print Thread
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Hi.

There's this German children's book, "Das Doppelte Lottchen", by Erich Kastner. I'd like to know the translation of the title. It's "The Double _________" but, double what? Trouble? Children? Dolls?

The word doesn't seem to show up in Oxford German-English dictionary, and the google translation site translated Lottchen as....Lottchen. Sigh.

Please help. Thanks. smile

twins
metwin1

A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
That is the story that the Disney movie "The Parent Trap" [both original and remake] was loosely based on. I would translate the title literally as "The Twin Lottes" where Lotte refers to a girl's name. I have seen the title translated as "Two Times Lotte". The sisters in the story are named Luise and Lotte.

See this website for a comparison of the original story and the Disney versions: http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9903/articles/mack.html

Amy

D
Blogger
Blogger
D
Amy,
I remember reading that article a couple of years ago, but didn't recognise the german name. The contrasts between the original and the Disneyed versions are amazing. Do you happen to know if there is an english translation of the original available.

Frank

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Thanks Amy.

I know that Parent Trap is loosely based on this book. That's why I'm thinking about buying this book. smile *does a backtrack* You do know I'm a twin, don't you?

Thanks so much for your help. smile I don't read a word of German. :p I never learnt the language. It'd take me a lobg time to learn enough German to read that book. smile But I think there's something really heart warming about reading a children's book in its original language. smile

Regards,
metwin1

A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
There is an English translation available called Lisa and Lottie

There was also a German film of the story made in 1950 Das Doppelte Lottchen or Two Times Lotte but I don't know whether there is a dubbed or subtitled version available.

Amy

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard