Page 1 of 2 1 2
#200624 08/13/04 04:48 PM
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Yep, I was glued to the television at 1pm EST to watch the opening ceremony live. Truly the Greeks have evey right to be proud of such spectacular performance. AnnaB, if I were a Greek like you, I'd never be prouder of my heritage than I would have been today. smile

Loved the historical significance in the games as presented in the performance. However, I do wonder why Greece chose Eros rather than Athena to be hovering above the stadium. laugh

Also, all the speeches during the opening ceremony about not-doping and anti-drug abuse was oddly disconcerting. :p

I wonder if FoLCs here are sports fans. Which events are the "must-watch" events for you?

For me, I'm a huge fan of diving and artistic gym. But I'm also going to watch the table tennis and badminton matches because my country is sending athletes to compete in these events.

By the way, did any of you catch the Olympic Theme for this year? I don't remember one being performed this year. For that matter, I don't even remember the Olympic Theme for Sydney 2000. *thinks about "Power of the Dream" (Atlanta 1996), "Amigos Para Siempre" (Barcelona 1992) and "Hand In Hand" (Seoul 1988)

twins
metwin1

who really loves the Olympics and all the ideals that behind this gathering of the best athletes of the world competing in the spirit of fair play, regardless of race, language, religion, and nationality

#200625 08/13/04 05:42 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just loved the opening ceremony! I think it was one of the best ones I've ever seen. I'm not Greek but I have some good Greek friends (right, Anna? wink ) and I'm one of those people that just love Greek History, Mythology and culture in general. I got all teary-eyed watching the ceremony and I loved the speeches even though I can't pronounciate some Greek names laugh

I was very happy to get from one of my friends the Commemorative Olympic Coin (thanks, Tina smile ) that I got speechless!

As for Eros I think they chose it right because Eros is the God of Love and it's because of him that humanity can keep growing laugh That's why we had the couple at the beginning and the "pregnant" woman later.

Some people questioned me why there was no Trojan Horse since they were showing Greek History and I had to explain that the Trojan Horse was a symbol of war and not peace and they wouldn't put it at the Olympics. Great work, Greeks! thumbsup

I just loved everything and I can't choose just one but I really liked the Eros thing.

As for what games I'm going to watch... well everything that I can watch when Brazil is playing laugh We have here 6 hours difference from Athens so all the games are going to be showed during the night or in the morning but I'm going to try and watch something. I will definitely watch the gymn competitions (Go Daiane dos Santos!!!! hyper )

Good luck to everyone on this Olympic games and thanks Greece for doing a great job on this smile

Raquel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
#200626 08/13/04 05:45 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
YAY! I love watching the opening ceremonies. Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch all of it; maybe only 10% of it. I had to catch some of the countries come in like Canada, Iraq, Japan... I really wanted to see more, but ack, that thing called work.
Good luck to all those guys!!!! dance

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#200627 08/13/04 06:37 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well I stayed up late to watch, it started at 1:30am here in WA. But I fell asleep during the athletes march. However I managed to catch bits and peices during the replay this morning, I was flicking between the footy on the other channel.
I thought it was great, Greece did an excellent job. I really loved the walk through history, incorporating Greek mythology and all. The only thing I found lacking was the lighting of the torch, that was kinda boring frown But on a whole, it was fantastic, well done Greece! thumbsup

wonder if FoLCs here are sports fans
I'm a sports fanatic!! Can't get enough of sports! Its just a pity that the best sport ever is not an Olympic sport - Aussie Rules Football aka footy wink
I'm looking forward to the swimming, Tae Kwon Do, Tennis, beach volleyball, hockey and the list can go on and on laugh

Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!!!

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
#200628 08/13/04 08:21 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I wonder if FoLCs here are sports fans.
*raises a hand frantically*

I'm a huge sports fan, and that all started when I was still active in judo on a very high level in my country. Now that I quit, I absolutely love to watch some sports on tv, and still visit games in the neighborhood regularly.

So I'll be in front of my tv a lot for the next two weeks. I'm most interested in judo (go Mark!), cycling, swimming, tennis, badminton, volleyball, hockey and gymnastics. But I'll watch other sports as well and will definitely follow everything the Dutch sporters do. (Go Oranje!!)

However, I do wonder why Greece chose Eros rather than Athena to be hovering above the stadium.
Athena may be the protector of the city of Athens, she's also the goddess of war. The Olympics are about peace, so that's not the image they want to get out. Besides, the games are for the whole of Greece, not just Athens. As for Eros, he's the god of love. Love was the theme of the opening ceremony. Like Raquel said, the dancing people, the pregnant woman, but also the beating of hearts.

The opening ceremony was absolutely fantastic. For once, I didn't even mind Björk singing... well done, Greece!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#200629 08/13/04 09:07 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I wonder if FoLCs here are sports fans.
**jumps up and down**
hyper

I'm a HUGE sports fan. I played soccer for a number of years, along with tennis and basketball. I started Tae Kwon Do, but I had to quit all things competitive because my legs are just too busted up from soccer.

I can't wait to watch the gymnastics! That's always been my favorite sport to watch.

GO ATHENS 2004!!!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#200630 08/14/04 12:52 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I had fun watching the opening ceremonies last night. It's a good thing they show it at 8pm in the US, even though it's tape delayed. I was still at work at 1pm. I loved how they brought the mythology into it, though I expected nothing less. My friends and I had fun commenting on the ceremony, including heckling some of the outfits. (Come on, Germany, brown and peach? Ew)

I'm a big sports fan, but I only watch a few events. I love gymnastics, myself. But it was cool to catch the end of the Italy/US softball game before I came to work. Which reminds me, I have to double-check a rule.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#200631 08/14/04 01:30 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
metwin1, I am really, really proud smile I was afraid the Greek history/mythology themes would look too much for the non-Greeks, but it seems that the people loved it, so I'm not complaining smile Yay! we did it! Seems like the Greeks can organize something big when they feel like it! wink

I love watching sports. My favourites are: swimming, athletics (I got tickets!!!), gymnastics and diving.

For once, I didn't even mind Björk singing...
I did rather laugh But oh, well.

Funny Athens 2004 highlight:
There's this swimming athlete from New Zealand who participated in the 400 m. individual medley preliminaries and ranked first in his heat. His name is Dean Kent laugh

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#200632 08/14/04 02:50 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
My senior year of college I spent the winter in Greece- mostly Athens- on a study abroad program. Just loved it. (And, oh, I ate so well...the food!)

So, I really enjoyed 'revisiting' Greece during last night's opening ceremonies. I can't remember any I've liked better.

For me, the diving, swimming, gymnastics, and baseball are my absolute favorites. However, I'll watch anything. So, I'm getting ready to be glued to the television for the duration.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#200633 08/14/04 04:38 AM
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
I loved the opening ceremony! I played handball in junior high and volleyball in high school, then I became a little lazy (no sport in college) but I love every kind of sport: volleyball, waterpolo, soccer, swimming, athletics, artistic and ritmic gymnastics, basketball, tennis, cycling...in this moment we have won the gold medal! Bravo Bettini!
when I'm at home my TV'll always be on Olympic games!

Simona smile

#200634 08/14/04 05:29 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Me, me hyper I love the Olympics!

Just programmed my TIVO to catch all the prime time coverage..this way I fast forward to the good parts! wink

Looking forward to Michael Phelps kicking some swim butt!! Seriously though..I will be watching the swimming and diving as well as the gymnastics later on.

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#200635 08/15/04 05:15 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
oh I wish we had TIVO, nevermind, with two out of the 5 FTA stations dedicated to the olympics, there is always something exciting to watch. smile
I'm training my body clock specifically for the olympics, lol. After uni/work I'll have a bit of a sleep, then get up at 9pm for The Dream with Roy & HG, then settle in for a night of sport. Head to bed around 3/4am and start all again the next day. This TV sports its hard work, needs a lot of dedication wink

I don't even remember the Olympic Theme for Sydney 2000.
ummm I think that was "Go you good thing, put a gap in 'em" laugh wink goofy

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
#200636 08/15/04 10:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

I love the opening ceremony! Wow! Beautiful. [Linked Image]

I have to congratulate the Greeks. [Linked Image]

My favorite sport is basketball [Linked Image] and boxing [Linked Image]

I stick to my teems Puerto Rico! [Linked Image]

Good Luck to all! thumbsup

MAF [Linked Image]

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#200637 08/15/04 11:59 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Maria, I bet you're happy because the PR basketball team beat the US basketball team smile1 !

I love the Olympics. In 2000, my roommates and I spent *hours* in front of the TV watching the different competitions from weightlifting to swimming (gotta love male swimmers and soccer players! drool ) and everything in between. My personal favorite sport is fast pitch softball only because I've played for *years* and it's the only Olympic sport I can say that about smile . I enjoy watching just about everything, though.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#200638 08/15/04 06:06 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I am following gymnastics the most.

I enjoy watching diving, taekwondo, judo and some sprinting.

I'm cheering for Dominique Bosshart in taekwondo from Cda b/c she trained at the TKD club in my city. I was going to train there, but the teacher is frightening! Now my teeth are glad b/c I found out she is from there a few years ago! LOL. I trained at a different place for 10 years. I'm still deciding whether to go there or not. EEEK! Actually, I think she is Toronto now and has been for a couple of years; lucky duck.

I'm cheerin for Alla Jassim . She has no sponsor. She is the only female athlete from Iraq.

An announcer on CBC made an error today with this lady's name - Petra Cada. He keeps getting her name mixed up with Petro Canada (a gas station). She's from Halifax, NS, CDA.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#200639 08/15/04 07:26 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'll be watching the women's 200 meter backstroke because a girl from our town is swimming in that. And I'll be watching the men's 1500 meter run because my son has run in races with Alan Webb, the American favorite. I saw part of the opening but I have it on DVR and want to watch it all sometime this week. I'll probably catch a little bit of everything when I can. I had the great fortune of attending some track and field prelims during the 1996 games in Atlanta. I walked up to the stadium (after riding the train in from the suburbs, then riding a bus from the train station and then going through security -- it was after the bombing in Centennial Park) and when I heard the crowds cheering and the Olympic theme played over the PA system, tears welled up in my eyes. It was truly a dream come true. That I got to experience it with my son just made it all the more special.

My hat's off to Greece for a fabulous games thus far.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#200640 08/18/04 06:03 AM
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
I have to say it: two italian girls, Giovanna e Valentina, are in foil women final: GO girls!

Simona smile

#200641 08/18/04 07:57 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ooooo.. Simona... have you seen that volleyball games between our countries? Brazil X Italy... wow... you played alright. Congrats. i almost had 2 heart attacks there. hehehehe..

Funny Athens 2004 highlight:
There's this swimming athlete from New Zealand who participated in the 400 m. individual medley preliminaries and ranked first in his heat. His name is Dean Kent
Annnnnaaaa... kidnap him for us..!!!! Oh my god... that cracked me up. rotflol

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#200642 08/18/04 08:26 AM
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
I have seen it, but next time we'll win! wink
Are you seeing the girls? They are playing in this moment! Wow! Wouldn't you like to be able to play like them? I played volleyball in high school, so I love to see on TV, even if the "wonderful six men" team is not playing anymore (you know, Zorzi, Gardini, Bracci, etc...)

Simona smile

#200643 08/18/04 09:52 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
hehehehe..

i used to play volleyball when I was younger but i´ve always preferred to watch it more than play it.

Next time (unless it´s the final match) We´ll let you win.

smile congrats anyway

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard