Print Thread
#200454 07/28/04 07:03 PM
S
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
S
I guess I'm a bit confused. The FAQ for this message board says:
All topics not specifically covered by other forums go in the Off Topic forum. You're even allowed to talk religion and politics!
http://www.lcficmbs.com/faqs.html

But the topic below was closed because it was about politics. Did I miss something?
I'm not trying to be contentious, but I am confused.

#200455 07/28/04 11:40 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, talking about politics and arguing about politics are two entirely different things, of course. wink

The second is pointless from the get go, because no one is going to change their opinion. The thread wasn't closed because it was about politics per se. If that had been the reason it would have been closed the moment the link to the video was posted. It wasn't at that point because Laura's post wasn't any problem.

It was closed because talking (or laughing - which is never a bad thing <g>) about politics had become two parties arguing over slurs against their separate political allegiences.

And, frankly, we've been there, done that so many times in the past that it's perhaps understandable that we'll want to nip it in the bud right from the start. None of us are here to fight political battles. We're here to have fun and enjoy the friendly community that's sprung up on our mbs. TJ insulted your candidate, so you insulted hers. The probable next step was TJ coming back to defend her candidate and insult yours again....and so on and so forth... Pointless.

And, of course, things change and so do rules - as members stretch them. I guess to start with, we believed that perhaps members could be trusted to talk about politics without descending into fighting over it. If they can't though - well, Annette as forum owner reserves the right to change the rules and/or close down threads likely to promote nothing but arguments.

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard