Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#196508 05/05/03 10:01 AM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
*Defeated sigh*

Yes, I'm going to allow myself to further procrastinate and eventually be dragged back into IRC. So let's cut to the chase: which room am I more likely to find all the people who would make me want to...uh, what did you say Pam...oh yeah, hide behind ficus trees, #loisclark or #lanekent?

Jen
(who is almost scared by the fact that she still knows where she put those channel passwords. It must be a sign.)

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#196509 05/05/03 10:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jen, it's up to you - you'll find Pam and Missy and LabRat and me (and lots of others) in #loisclark. But you'll also find plenty of other FoLCs in #lanekent too. No reason why you can't hang out in both if you like. wink

You'll tend to find people in #loisclark earlier in the evening, if that helps, since a lot of us are from Europe and so it's evening with us when it's afternoon in the US.

Anyway, why not just come on in and say hi? wink

Wendy smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#196510 05/05/03 10:15 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hi Jen!

Right now I'm on #loisclark and there are 18 people.

I might be wrong, but I think people show up on #lanekent later in the night.

As for the ficus...well...its home is definitely #loisclark. wink

Elena smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
#196511 05/05/03 06:54 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Hey Jen,

Glad to hear you are thinking about coming back to play with us! Wendy and El are right, the highest traffic time in #loisclark is during the late afternoon/early evening EST, but there are definitely people there around the clock. Count me in as part of the late-night crowd. <G> You'll find more fanfic talk in #loisclark than in #lanekent, but other than that, I think the channels are pretty similar. Lots of chatting about random things. Come in and enjoy. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#196512 05/08/03 10:18 AM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay, I think I'm IRC deficient. How in the world do I know if I did it correctly and join the right room???

I'm supposed to be on an Undernet server, right? Is that *any* undernet server listed?

And after I connect, I click join channel and type in what the e-mail said?

#196513 05/08/03 12:02 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
How in the world do I know if I did it correctly and join the right room???
Well, usually you find people who say things like "Hi, Jen! Glad to see you made it! <g>". smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
#196514 05/08/03 02:00 PM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
And they call you evil? <g> This was life-saver status, not evilness. <g> Thanks so much!

#196515 05/16/03 01:42 PM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Now *that's* interesting. I did not know you could individually message people in IRC, yet I finally noticed somebody did, lol, probably like hours after they did it...how do you do it?

#196516 05/16/03 01:45 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
There are two different ways to do it. The first is the command /msg. Use is "/msg person message". The second, in mIRC, is to right-click that person's name, then click on, um, either message or query (I can't remember, not using it at the moment). In mIRC, the messaging will be in another window.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#196517 05/16/03 02:08 PM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Ahh very cool, I see the query button. Thanks!

Jen

#196518 05/16/03 05:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
actually, there's a third way, if you're using mirc. double-click on the person's name. does the same thing as right-clicking and choosing "query." just make sure you do that on the names list on the right, rather than in the main channel window (you can right-click on a name there) because double-clicking on the channel window brings up the channel options menu.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#196519 12/03/04 12:12 PM
Blogger
Blogger
okay looks simple enough except one thing...I've never been to/in IRC I am trying to figure it out by reading this but still not sure how to get into IRC blush I've never actually chatted in a chatroom before, except for the ones that you just click and then put your name in and thats it. and even that I did rarly

so not to be a pest but, a little bit of extra help?

*thinks to self was really looking forward to chatting tonight*

#196520 12/03/04 01:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
astra, the very first thing you need is a program for IRC -- okay, the very first thing you need is Internet access, but obviously you have that goofy -- a lot of us use a program (they're called clients, but don't ask me why) called mIRC . It's a quick download, and I believe the program will help you get set-up and connected. Once you've got that, you need to connect to an Undernet server. Right now, I'm using one called Zagreb.HR.Eu.UnderNet.org -- I'm not sure what country that is <g> but the server works just fine. If it doesn't say "undernet" somewhere, it won't reach us!

Good luck!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#196521 12/03/04 03:44 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, as some of you may remember I returned to IRC about a month ago and I joined a few of you in #lanekent for a brief time one evening. It was wonderful chatting with everyone and I really missed being on IRC with y'all. I don't think I've been on IRC much since L&C went off the air, and it was great! smile But, I have not chatted since because ...

The morning after I installed IRC and chatted (only in #lanekent BTW, didn't go to any other rooms), my computer crashed. Yes, crashed! eek My brand new laptop that I've only had for a few months bugged out on me. grumble Since the only thing I can figure caused this crash was installing the mIRC program, I am now completely paranoid about trying again. I don't think I have to tell y'all that this was the day from hell, and even though I'm not really sure IRC was the cause, I am just too scared to risk it again. whinging

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#196522 12/04/04 01:10 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ouch! :p Been there having one of those days, SuperGem.

I haven't personally had any problems with irc, nor heard of anyone who has. I'd be inclined to doubt it was the cause of your problem - but with pcs, who can tell? They're fickle beggers at the best of times.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#196523 12/04/04 12:55 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I tried a year ago. My eyes just glazed over. Too overwhelmed to try again. !!!!! ACK.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#196524 12/05/04 02:49 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Just as a 2nd option, if you have problems installing an IRC program on your system, you can try the web-based chat at http://www.undernet.org . Click on Webchat at the top of the screen, and it'll ask you for some information before you log on: Your name, nick, and it will ask for a preferred channel, or other. Once you log in, you can type out the command to log into one of the channels. It works just the same as any other IRC client. It also supports multiple channels, now, which I'm quite happy about. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#196525 12/11/04 04:57 PM
Columnist
Columnist
hi

I am downloading the program, I had always used hotmail messenger that i think is great but i will try this one and see if it is ok.

karla

#196526 12/11/04 05:13 PM
Columnist
Columnist
hi

I got the program...

What a Heck???? ups sorry...how can i find somo FOLCS?

karla

#196527 12/12/04 03:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Karla,

Scroll back up in this thread and read Elena's post, where she gives step-by-step instructions as to how to get on and into #loisclark. (Make sure that you've registered and got the channel password first!).

If you've got the password and you're using mIRC and still can't get in, post a HELP topic in this folder, explaining what you're doing, and someone who's on at the time will see it and help you.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard