Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
It was nice to see Tempus and H.G. Wells again in this episode. Of all of the characters created specifically for "Lois and Clark," it's easy to see why Tempus was the most popular among fans.

I also enjoyed seeing the Clark from the alternate world again. I was glad that it was hinted that he might be able to find his own Lois. The fact that this Clark was seemingly destined to live a life alone was always one of the more sad aspects of his character. I've read that had a fifth season been made, an episode about him actually finding his Lois had been proposed. It's too bad we never got to actually see it.

There were also a few funny moments that resulted from Tempus' Subliminator in this episode. One of my favorite scenes is when we find out that even President Garner voted for John Doe instead of voting for himself. rotflol In fact, I enjoyed most of President Garner's scenes.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I always found the whole subliminator somewhere between totally unrealistic and totally disturbing.

I also was really sad when Clark vanished, and was afraid when they brought in alternate Clark that they would not bring back real Clark.

I did like the end part when Lois and Clark showing up disproves Tempus's claim that Clark Kent is Superman.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Lois and Clarks" - This is one of my favorite episodes, just because I like alt-Clark so much. We really find out a lot about him here, and how much he wants to find his own Lois.

Fred Willard is a hilarious President Garner, and I can't help but laugh at the way Lane Davies plays Tempus. Something about the way he says his lines just makes me laugh out loud.
WELLS
The power of the human spirit can't
be confined to one place or time.
It's everywhere.

TEMPUS
Oh, save that drivel for your
overrated novels.
Frankly, with regards to fanfics, I count a lot of the alt-Clark ones related to this episode, even if they're not technically about the events of the episode. Just a mention of alt-Clark searching for his alt-Lois (who we find was lost in the Congo), or hearing about his parents, who died in a car crash when he was ten years old, qualifies.

Caroline K tells us what happened when alt-Clark came home from the canon universe, in her poetic and Kerth-winning Fly Away Home .

Various authors made posts on the boards in response to Alt-Clark, in The Alt-Clark Letters .

Alt-Clark finds his Lois in Nan Smith's How I Spent My Christmas Vacation , a fic up to Nan's usual quality. The best thing is that it's the first of a series which tells us how our alt-heroes grow together. Another one of my favorite fics, where alt-Clark finds his Lois, is Kaylle's wonderful In Dreams .

Fics where Tempus is a villain - ah, there are many and they are fun to read.

CC Aiken shows us canon Lois thrown into the alt-world, in Through The Window . In fact, canon Lois actually marries alt-Clark. But what happens when alt-Lois shows up? And what about when canon Lois goes back to her own universe? Isn't it a little awkward to have been married to the counterpart of the man you're living with? What does he think about all that? Well, CC follows up with the excellent And Back Again that tells us how both sets of Clarks and Loises deal with it.

In the third fic of her "Without A Superman" trilogy, Without A Superman: Superman\'s Quest , alt-Clark finally finds his Lois. I like how ML works in canon L&C, alt-L&C, and alt-alt-L&C (here Clark is going by the name of "Charlie King".)

Speaking of fics where there are multiple versions of L&C's running around, don't miss Yvonne Connell's fine Fear of Discovery 2 - Nowhere To Hide . It's part of a series that should not be missed.

And don't miss L's Long, Strange Trip , where alt-Lois was taken by Tempus into a harsh world where Kal-El never left Krypton, and is a sadistic, domineering tyrant. How can Lois fall in love with alt-Clark when all her memories of the Kryptonian are horrible ones?

Virginia R. is probably the queen of alt-versions of characters in her saga, Missing Lois . Canon Lois is pregnant and has to go hide out in the alt-dimension with alt-Clark protecting her. Virginia manages to work in canon Lois, alt-Lois, canon Clois, alt-Clois, and a few other versions of Lois! All I can do is quote Inspector Henderson in L's "Long Strange Trip" when faced with canon Lois and alt-Lois:
"But... two Lois Lanes," Henderson groaned. "Two? Won't this universe explode or something under the weight of both of these women?"
laugh

There are so many more good fics, I'm just scratching the surface. Everyone else, please make your recommendations.

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I've always wondered what would happen between Alt-Clark and Lois if Clark hadn't been rescued.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've always wondered what would happen between Alt-Clark and Lois if Clark hadn't been rescued.
CC Aiken explores this very thought in "Through The Window", although here it's Lois being dumped in the alt-world before she knows that CK=SM. Spoiler: They get married. Spoiler: There's a lot of other good stuff in the fic, so the first spoiler isn't that much of a spoiler.

Now go and read it. /shoos you off to Archive /

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
CC Aiken explores this very thought in "Through The Window", although here it's Lois being dumped in the alt-world before she knows that CK=SM. Spoiler: They get married. Spoiler: There's a lot of other good stuff in the fic, so the first spoiler isn't that much of a spoiler.

Now go and read it. /shoos you off to Archive /
I've read it before. Enjoyed it then, but it's not what I'm thinking about.

CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
"Wrong Clark" probably deserves a mention here, since it starts out with alt-Clark going to an alt-canon dimension where there is no Clark, because H. G. Wells thinks he should not go rescue his Lois.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
One aspect of John Doe's campaign caused me to go grumble . This is probably not an issue most people noticed, but having read a book specifically on the Amish and religious liberty I definitely had to grumble about it. John Doe goes after the Amish because they do not support him. The problem is, the Amish religiously object to voting. They do not vote, because it does not fit with their religious view. Beyond this, due to most polling being conducted on phone lines, they would generally not show up in polls. However as non-voters, those Amish who are willing to keep phones in their barns, even if they answered their phone, would say they are not planning to vote and would not get included in a poll.

So I really thought it was off that Tempus/Doe went after the Amish because they should not have showed up at all, and as non-voters they would not have any affect on his plans at all.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm sure you're right about the Amish, John. But all I can think of are those lines from the script:

TEMPUS:
The Amish are not your friends.
They are anti-John Doe. Boycott
their quilts. They're overpriced
and the workmanship is shoddy,
anyway. Oh, and John Doe is a
darn nice guy...

laugh laugh

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Another one I would definitely add to the list briefly looks at what might have happened if Clark had not been saved.

Until the End

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard