Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I really liked this storyline a lot. True, it did extend the wait for an actual wedding, but it did so in a way that was less frustrating to me than the amnesia arc had been. Of course, I say this as someone who already knew that Lois and Clark had gotten married on this show before I started watching it. I can see how some people who watched the episodes as they first aired might have found this arc to be just as frustrating as the other arc.

The third season finale really ended on a sad note, but I can’t help but enjoy it nonetheless. Lois and Clark’s goodbye to each other was a very well acted scene. I don’t often cry when I watch sad moments on TV shows, but this scene is one of the few scenes that does manage to usually get me to tear up a little bit. Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain were at their best in that scene.

Furthermore, I really liked getting to learn more about Clark’s heritage. I’m glad that “Lois and Clark” chose to focus on Clark’s humanity rather than his alien side, but Krypton is still an important part of him. Therefore, I enjoyed learning more about the people he came from. I also think that the Kryptonians in these episodes served as a tool to reinforce just how human Clark is.

One last thought I had about these episodes that I had involved Lord Nor. I’ve always thought that he was similar enough to General Zod that it would have been easier just to make him into this show’s version of that character. I’ve always wondered why they didn’t use that name for him instead of Lord Nor. Perhaps there was a restriction on using his character? Anybody know for sure?

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
General Zod / Lord Nor - probably copyright issues, I suspect. That's the reason we got Rachel Harris instead of Lana Lang in GGGoH.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I have to say this was less frustrating than the wedding arc. However since my first exposure to Lois and Clark ever, or at least that I can clearly remember, was ready a mention about the show "Sex, Lies and Videostapes" on TV Tropes, I totally knew that Lois and Clark get married before encountering the show.

To me the Aargh arc was so frustrating because we do not see Lois and Clark together for most of it. This arc we never got nearly that much seperation. The two first episodes had them together consistently, and even when Clark goes off to space he manges to return to Lois' arms that episode, and then we get her smuggled on the ship as a concubine. That had its own level of weirdness, but even if people realized how Lois got herself onto the ship, they might have just written if off as her going undercover.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
In "Lord of the Flies" at least per the IMBd entry, Leeza Gibbons appears as herself. However is she really appearing as herself, or is she acting in a role that is named after her? To make it more fun, IMBd lists another role that seems about the same, Gibbons appearing under her own name, as an actual role and not an appearance as herself. Wikipedia makes no mention, except the comment I just added on the Leeza Gibbons talk page there, seeking to see if people think this is notable enough to put in the article.

This is a potentially deep question. Can someone appear as themself in a fictional TV show doing fictional things? On the other hand, if you name the character after the person who is doing the role, is it the same person? Of course, this might also lead to the question, is being a talk show host/TV announcer a role where people create false personalas, or are they really being themselves?

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There are quite a few fanfics associated with these four episodes. Let me see...

Clark is put through tests by Zara and Ching. But Shayne Terry, in his concise Control points out that it took Clark months or years to learn to use his powers. How would Zara and Ching fare, having newly come to Earth?

Shayne's fic is a short vignette. On the other end of the length spectum is Raconteur's "Road Trilogy" - The Longest Road: Belief and Sacrifice ; The Longest Road: The Roads They Walked Alone ; and The Longest Road: The Long Road Home . Quick summary: Clark goes off to New Krypton. You'll have to read the fics to find out what happens in the other 600 pages. smile

Annie M tells us about Clark and Lois in the last hours before he heads off to New Krypton, in Standing At The Edge .

In Pam Jernigan's What Dreams May Come , it's comforting to know that the L&C bond holds true even when they're separated by light-years.

Clark goes to New Krypton and comes back - but what if things didn't go all that well there? Tank Wilson tells us what might have happened in Love Disabled , and Becky Bain writes Ad Astra Per Aspera .

What about the aftermath of the New Krypton invasion? Nan Smith explores what might have happened in her Unforeseen Consequences , which is part of her Dagger Series . Shayne Terry has a similar theme in Orphan Dreams .

On the comedic side, Laura Davies does a plot un-twist in You Can\'t Win Them All , as do Paul-Gabriel Wiener in What Do You Mean, "New Krypton"? and LabRat in Trick Or Treat .

And the irrepressible Mary Potts aka Queen of the Capes once again causes out-and-out guffawing with her You Came A Bit Late . And you absolutely can't miss Queenie's awesome duo of fics, KRY-TV ("Good news! New Krypton wants to import some of Earth's television shows! Unfortunately, some tweaking may be in order... ") and KRY-TV Channel 2 ("The programs that New Krypton imported from Earth are now airing! Lois and Clark are there to give their reviews"). Totally hilarious.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fanfics related to these episodes continued:

Personally, I just love alt-world and Elsewhere fics, and here are some of my favorite fics of these types that relate to the New Krypton arc. Warning: most of these are huge, sprawling, multi-page sagas. Enter at your own risk - you may end staying up all night to finish a fic!

Yvonne Connell tells us: what if an alt-Clark had gotten Lois pregnant before he went off to New Krypton? And what if that baby had been delivered to canon Lois and Clark? Well, you'll have to read her Kidnapped to find out.

What if Jor-El and Lara never sent Clark to Earth? What if Clark ended up on New Krypton? Well, for one, he'd be called Kal-El. ML Thompson's Escape From New Krypton has Lord Kal-El on the run. "The First Lord of New Krypton, Kal of the House of El, finds himself injured, on a strange planet and in desperate need of help. Will he find it? And how far will Lord Nor go to make sure Kal does not return to New Krypton?" Don't miss this fic.

Another fic of soulmate lovers coming together even though galaxies divide them is Stopquitdont's When Galaxies Divide . It's a saga, but fortunately there is a happy ending.

Beth Summerson shows us what might have happened if Krypton had not exploded till Kal-El was an adult, in Written In The Stars .

Pam Jernigan has a unique take on the NK arc with her duology, Hearts Divided ("In this Elseworlds story, Lieutenant L.J. Lane of the U.S. Army goes undercover at the Metro Club and meets Kal, an amazingly handsome and charming stranger, who turns out to be much more than she expected") and its sequel, Hearts United .

Dandello has a crossover of LnC with the movie Superman in her Reminisces of New Krypton .

Carol Malo has an interesting alt-verse in Connections: An Alternate Story . "In the alternate universe, Clark Kent's struggle to lead a normal life after becoming Superman becomes more complicated when he discovers he's been under surveillance by three separate individuals, each with a different agenda" - the New Kryptonians, Bureau 39, and Lois Lane. Many plot threads combine for a satisfying ending.

In the above fics, Kal-El is the Clark we know and love, he just has a different name. But what if Lord Kal-El was a cruel and domineering tyrant? L's Long, Strange Trip shows us what happened to an alt-Lois who fell into the evil Lord Kal-El's clutches, and how she slowly comes to know and trust Lord Kal-El's doppelganger, the alt-Clark of canon. L is working on a sequel, Stranger In A Strange Land , which I'd certainly like to see more chapters in, soon.

Jenni Debbage wrote a good series, starting with Universal Union, Book One . "Nineteen-year-old Lois Lane, a student at Metropolis U., is asked by a young man who calls himself Kal-El of the planet Krypton to journey with him across space and become his wife. When Lois accepts and travels to the distant planet, she finds a society at once modern and old-fashioned -- and, of course, plenty of danger and excitement." The saga continues with Universal Union, Book 2 , Universal Union, Book 3, Part One , and Universal Union, Book 3, Part Two .

Female Hawk wrote a great saga, Awaken My Heart . "Lois Lane travels into space as the reporter aboard EPRAD's Mission to Mars. When something goes terribly wrong, her life pod crashes in a strange land. At gunpoint, she is taken before the Supreme Ruler -- Kal-El." Told with poetic style, it won the Kerth for Best Overall Story in 2010.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Iolanthe, you missed Missing Lois , which technically begins during BGDF and deals with the aftermath of the NK invasion on Smallville. Clark heads for New Krypton, leaving Lois pregnant and cursed back in Metropolis and the only "cure" Herb Wells can think of is to have Lois leave her dimension, or Clark will never be able to return from NK.

I also touch on Zara and Ching coming to my alt-alt-dimension in search of Lord Kal-El in Green-Eyed Monster . I won't say any more, because I've already ruined the surprise of their visit. wink

Michael has a NK story where Zara and Ching crash Lois's wedding to Lex in The Wedding Crashers .

Female Hawk has a terrific story set on Krypton over on the Nfic boards called: The Wedlock Wall.

Deadly Chakram has also written several Krypton based stories, the most recent of which is: Contractually Bound , winner of a 2013 Kerth for best Elsewhere / Alt-Universe story, I believe.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
One of the few multi-part stories I have written was After the Fall . In this story, Clark struggles to come to terms with having killed Nor.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, Virginia and Lynn, for pointing out some fics that I missed. I regret that I haven't given more recent authors their due; I just haven't had enough time to re-read and re-read all their fics over and over! That's what I like to do.

So... if you're a more recent author, or if your fic is fairly recent, I apologize in advance for slighting you/missing you/overlooking you. It's me, not you. frown

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by John Lambert:
In "Lord of the Flies" at least per the IMBd entry, Leeza Gibbons appears as herself. However is she really appearing as herself, or is she acting in a role that is named after her? To make it more fun, IMBd lists another role that seems about the same, Gibbons appearing under her own name, as an actual role and not an appearance as herself. Wikipedia makes no mention, except the comment I just added on the Leeza Gibbons talk page there, seeking to see if people think this is notable enough to put in the article.

This is a potentially deep question. Can someone appear as themself in a fictional TV show doing fictional things? On the other hand, if you name the character after the person who is doing the role, is it the same person? Of course, this might also lead to the question, is being a talk show host/TV announcer a role where people create false personalas, or are they really being themselves?

I think my brain just melted. dizzy

"It's the mythology of a sun god who wished he was a man because he saw something so great in us.
It's the story of a hero who could move whole worlds and see through stars and hear a whisper on the other side of the planet...
...and who fell in love with a storyteller." - ashmaht (x)
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I recently finished watching "Superman: The Animated Series," and I noticed that like "Lois and Clark," that show featured some villains from Krypton in a few episodes, and also like "Lois and Clark," Zod was not one of them. I found this interesting since the two shows came out in the 90s. I guess it's safe to assume that there were some copyright issues going on with Zod at the time.

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Originally posted by John Lambert:

This is a potentially deep question. Can someone appear as themself in a fictional TV show doing fictional things?
Honestly, I think this is the basis for all "reality" television.

Shallowford
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Also on the fanfic front there's an nfic that places the events of "Through a Glass, Darkly", etc. squarely after Season 1 "Pheromone My Lovely" called "The Care and Training of Concubines" It's incomplete but it's heady stuff.

I've been a bit more surprised there having been an AUs of the scene where Lois and Clark/Kal are interrupted while she's a concubine, quite honestly.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, "The Care And Training Of Concubines is one of my absolute favorite nfics on this site.

I keep on hoping for more chapters. Please, please, you fine fic author TJ Gruffs/Shimauma, write more! Let us know!

In the latest chapter, Clark just admitted to Lois that Superman/Kal-El was Clark Kent.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

Again, write more soon!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Oh! What a great number of stories for me to explore! Sounds like I have a lot of reading ahead when autumn finally closes in.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard