Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This episode was written by Teri Hatcher. I thought it was a pretty good episode, though I do actually prefer the two episodes written by Dean Cain to this one. It wasn’t bad. It’s just that I wouldn’t count it among the very best of the series like I would for the episodes written by Dean Cain.

It was really a relief to see Lois back to being Lois. Those last couple of amnesia episodes really made me miss Lois a lot, so the fact that we got an episode involving Lois being back to herself was one big plus for this episode. That makes it a little bit better than the amnesia arc.

I do usually enjoy seeing people from the main characters’ past, so I thought that the idea of Lois’ high school reunion made for an interesting plot. However, I didn’t find the characters introduced to us in this episode to be quite as interesting as Linda King or Molly Flynn. I think it would have been much more enjoyable had one or both of those characters made a second appearance for some reason.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I think Linda King and Molly Flynn were both Lois's college friends.

I agree that this episode wasn't one of the strongest, but I believe that was because of placement. After the failed wedding / clois / Wanda Detroit / amnesia arcs, we needed some kind of closure... we NEEDED them to get married. Instead of rushing off and getting married in Vegas or even a civil ceremony in town, they went to her high school reunion? evil

If taken out of the context of being sandwiched between ARGH and NK, this episode is quite enjoyable. laugh Although, it does show us that Clark really hadn't learned from his Contact mistake.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Well, I think Linda King and Molly Flynn were both Lois's college friends.
Yes, they were her college friends. I just liked them more, though, so I would have rather seen one of them again instead of being introduced to Lois' high school friends.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I have to second the idea that they had no convincing argument for why they were not getting married.

I also have to say Perry giving Lois the "Lois Kent" name-plate in context seemed to be cruel mocking her clone disrupted wedding.

This is also the episode where I felt they were dealing beyond the technical limits of special effects the most. I guess some of the idea of Lois and Clark not connecting did not make sense to me, because it seems to me the main reason that they were not connecting more was that showing Clark small with Lois huge was beyond the technical limits of their special effects.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I decided to go rewatch the episode. I would say it was originally written with the thought that Lois and Clark were married by this point, and never fully revised.

We get Clark mentioning Lois was voted least likely to get married.

Lois then says "I also vowed not to get married until after that first pulitzer"

Clark says "well what changed"

Lois "I met you" as she kisses him. It seems odd that she does not say "well, maybe that is why we have not gotten married yet, no, no Clark, it's not. we just need a little time to calm down". Although that makes no sense to me.

Their whole delaying the marriage makes no sense.

If they had not had the first wedding because Lois was kidnapped the day before, and the clone had put off doing the wedding, and they never had a ceremony, it might, just maybe have made sense. But with the ceremony done, Lois' Mom had her big wedding, and Lois constantly said "let's elope", so it made no sense, actually it made negative sense, that they did not elope.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
I do have to say overall I really liked this episode. However I also am surprised that Dr. Klein did not see through Lois and Clark. Lois reactions to Superman shrinking really do not make sense for a woman engaged to someone else, nor did her reactions to Superman nearly dieing back in "Home is Where the Hurt Is".

I just also realized this is one of the eposides where Clark's partents do not show up at all, in any way shape means, or form.

John Pack Lambert
L
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Originally posted by VirginiaR:

I agree that this episode wasn't one of the strongest, but I believe that was because of placement. After the failed wedding / clois / Wanda Detroit / amnesia arcs, we needed some kind of closure... we NEEDED them to get married. Instead of rushing off and getting married in Vegas or even a civil ceremony in town, they went to her high school reunion? evil

If taken out of the context of being sandwiched between ARGH and NK, this episode is quite enjoyable. laugh Although, it does show us that Clark really hadn't learned from his Contact mistake.
I like your ideas of how to rearrange the season.

Originally posted by John Lambert:
I decided to go rewatch the episode. I would say it was originally written with the thought that Lois and Clark were married by this point, and never fully revised.
I agree. Here's some information that explains why it is very possible that your theory is correct.

http://www.redboots.net/history/wedded_miss.htm

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Holy cow. Just holy cow. For the first time, I'm coming up blank. I don't see any tags of "Episode-Related: IASWAF" in the Archive Database, and I don't recall any fanfics based on this episode.

Can anyone cite any fanfics related to this episode? The most I can think of is that sometimes, authors refer to stuff from Lois's high school reunion, which happened in this episode.

For example, in The Time-Traveler\'s Wife , by ML Thompson, mention is made of Joe the football player, who Lois dated in high school. And in Wendy Richards' Happy New Tears , Lois is mocked at a reunion, leading her to ask Clark for a favor - a very intimate favor. This fic is better appreciated in the nfic version.

But I can't think of any more.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Carol M's "On the Other Hand", involves Joe Maloy as a major character. That is its only connection to this episode.

John Pack Lambert
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
John, thanks for that info! Here's the link:

On The Other Hand

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard